Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
08.07.2006 - 14:21
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
I havent heard a lot by Ancient Wisdom, but they are definately a good suggestion. Very atmospheric and depressive.
08.07.2006 - 23:03
redmix
Shining
09.07.2006 - 11:26
W-Lash
Metal Master
If you like Burzum, you will like Nargaroth. Why did nobody mention this great German one man band?
09.07.2006 - 12:08
Ruines
Account deleted
Because it's not entirely depressive. But the demo and Geliebte des regens are quite good. In fact, Geliebte Ds Regens is the most amazing depressive bm i've heard, next to Veil. I gotta order the DLP sometimes soon.
09.07.2006 - 16:26
Humanoid
Account deleted
Nocturnal Depression [France] seem to be a very good band from this area of bm.
10.07.2006 - 12:47
Throne of Rats
Written by W-Lash on 09.07.2006 at 11:26

If you like Burzum, you will like Nargaroth. Why did nobody mention this great German one man band?

Im listening to Nargaroth atm they are very good and depressing.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
07.08.2006 - 03:06
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Burzum are the greatest depressive black metal band, especially Filosofem is on my to five ambient albums.Also Ved Buens Ende are a really depressive band, their album "Written In Watters" is an amazing masterpiece. Ved Buens Ende are recommended only to open minded fans of black metal.
07.08.2006 - 19:15
rebelos
Account deleted
maybe Agalloch?
they are doom/folk/black metal
pretty weird
07.08.2006 - 19:50
Ruines
Account deleted
Agalloch is not what you could call a "depressive black metal" band. But it is indeed a great band.
08.08.2006 - 11:35
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Would you guys classify Wolves In The Throne Room as depressive black? They definately have quite a few melancholic and depressive elements.
08.08.2006 - 13:44
Soleil Noir
Account deleted
I have no idea why one would not include Xasthur. I don't know how much of Malefic's work you have heard, but I consider it essential to the genre. Nocturnal Poisioning is one of my favourites.

Anyway, I don't know how many of these have been mentioned already, but others include:

Elysian Blaze (black/funeral doom)
Leviathan (duh)
Lurker of Chalice, for something more sinister and insidious.
Sapthuran
Nachtmystium
Spectre (Spain)
Weakling, I consider very desolate also.
Striborg, circa 'Spiritual Catharsis' & 'Mysterious Semblance,' although even these transgress the rather limiting 'depressive bm' catagory and into other area of abrasive/dark ambient. Same can be said for newer/more experimental Leviathan. I'd stay away from it if you find something like Xasthur tedious, even though repetition is really an intrinsic part of the genre I think.

Hypothermia are also quite good btw, and the name suits; however that's all I can really tell you about it. It wasn't really depressive black metal though if I remember rightly, but rather ambient.

Abyssic Hate's Suicidal Emotions would be some people's recommendation, although probably not mine personally.
08.08.2006 - 20:45
Weltschmerz
Account deleted
Some of the bands I listen to: Shining, Silencer, Sterbend, Nyktalgia, Wigrid, Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Forgotten Tomb and more
12.10.2006 - 16:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
haha Deprsive black metal, try ewer Black/Doom band, in metal arena are pool about it, it can introduse better about this gernre

well I dunno but for me ic you can read my post in black/doom pool there are some recomandations, but from pure black metal or melodic black metal hmm ?

Magog - Swedish band, and it depresive
luctus from Lithainia are so depresove and ggreat
Maniac Butcher - Czceh black metal band remaidns me Immortal but more depresibe
Judas Iscariot style bands and many many more I acnt remeber but Raw BM all are deprseive

From melodic Bishiof Of Hexen and one Swedish band thay are from Midle, I forgot name thay had one demo and ehh I gonna search for it.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2006 - 12:11
Grimurc
Well depressive bm..hmm..keeps the people awake of those who jump in front of trains and things like that...and that one sick fuck shoots the hell out in a school killing schoolchildren ...keeps the prejudice standing that it's all the fault of depressive people who listen black metal...lads keep it straight and name those bands who sound depressive just like doom/black or something...this genre will never be accepted by true bmetallers
----
Still drinking,-
19.10.2006 - 15:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I don't really get your post, but whatever.

@Ruines:

Is that album from Nargaroth really that good? I remember I heard 'Black Metal Ist Krieg', and I found it boring as hell. Should I give them another try?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.10.2006 - 16:04
bloodygore
Account deleted
I can tell through Grimurk's post that he doesnt accept or enjoy the music for what it sounds like... just what it represents. Or maybe he's just against depressive feelings. Oh well, he has a right to his own opinion... just like everyone else.

I find that DBM is really musically appealing to me.

Although this was a post requesting Swedish DBM bands, I've read more than enough that are from other countries, out of those I couldn't seem to find Abyssic Hate. So yeah, Abyssic Hate is actually my fav DBM band.
19.10.2006 - 16:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Grimurc on 19.10.2006 at 12:11

Well depressive bm..hmm..keeps the people awake of those who jump in front of trains and things like that...and that one sick fuck shoots the hell out in a school killing schoolchildren ...keeps the prejudice standing that it's all the fault of depressive people who listen black metal...lads keep it straight and name those bands who sound depressive just like doom/black or something...this genre will never be accepted by true bmetallers

I didnt get your post?

You wanna say that depresive music makes kill students in school?
Well depresive music can make do sicide, but not kill ppl in school, its well moust of those who do evven dunno how sounds metal.

maybe if you explain lil bit more your post i answer to you
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2006 - 16:22
bloodygore
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2006 at 16:17

Written by Grimurc on 19.10.2006 at 12:11

I didnt get your post?

You wanna say that depresive music makes kill students in school?
Well depresive music can make do sicide, but not kill ppl in school, its well moust of those who do evven dunno how sounds metal.

maybe if you explain lil bit more your post i answer to you

DBM doesnt really make you commit suicide.... You usually want to commit suicide BEFORE listening to DBM.
19.10.2006 - 16:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@bloodygore - dont agree whit you, music, sadness, LOVE it makes do it, but for me that kind of music givs me energy to live and for some ppl music are only think what tahy got
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2006 - 16:45
bloodygore
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2006 at 16:33

@bloodygore - dont agree whit you, music, sadness, LOVE it makes do it, but for me that kind of music givs me energy to live and for some ppl music are only think what tahy got

Dude, some people don't get depressed over "love". Depression is actually a mental disease and you can have the happiest love life and still want to die.

What i meant by in my post was that: usually you are pulled to depressive black metal by feeling depressed and looking for something you can relate to, or something, some people like it just for the music, but the point is, it doesnt make you want to commit suicide, you wanting to commit suicide usually starts before listening to DBM...

(as in directly, not as in;
Listening to DBM and being a happy metaller
Then something happening to make you sad (like a death)
Followed by you still listening to DBM and being a sad metaller.

cause that doesnt count)

hope it made sense, cause it made hardly any to me.
19.10.2006 - 16:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@bloodygore - haha I agree ist deasease and nobody knows what is a reason of it but in moust cases love are reason, if nobody left to blame, balme love and I agree die, die, I just last time think about it and well we all will see

I never thought about it what make slisten it and about suicide before listen it, so I shood think about it

But here are depresive BM from Afganistan http://www.freewebs.com/taarma/disco.htm
2 samples awalilible
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2006 - 18:18
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 19.10.2006 at 16:45

usually you are pulled to depressive black metal by feeling depressed and looking for something you can relate to

exactly. however I don't think that depressive (not sad, but deprseeive) ppl listen to this kind of music. I mean if you get depressed from the death of your cat (it happened) then what will you feel while listening to Beatrik for instance. and what will you do? so I doubt that a person who tried to commit suicide will listen to music that can drive you to it. unless the person needs 'support' to kill him/her self.

but to be on topic, let's see some bands Nortt, Abyssic Hate, Beatrik, Shining, Hypothermia, I Shalt Become.

and for the last time, Leviathan is nowere near depressive. Nor Lurker Of Chalice, nor Judas Iscariot, Krieg, Twilight.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.10.2006 - 19:20
Grimurc
To all lads who quoted my message: i dont think that it's a reason why some people riot at schools or something...its the prejudice that other people make about black metal...they easily find black metal as a scapegoat of what some people did on american schools and many suicides...it's not because of black metal but most of the insurgents listened to metal and when people hear the word metal they think about crazy bodypainted rebels they once saw on tv or internet or something... maybe it's a hard statement for me to make..and i dont know why i made it but whatever...i dont like depressive thoughts maybe im scared for it or something but my life opinion is to party hard and drink beer and dont be a naive depressed person..of course i respect depressed persons about what they got through but sometimes when its escalade its always the scapegoat who comes near....maybe some of yer lads dont understand my statement but thats what i am thinking about...sorry cant help it cheers!
----
Still drinking,-
20.10.2006 - 18:38
FOOCK Nam
In my opinion, when I listened to black metal by listening to similar artist of Moonblood by Last.fm,( those band played nearly raw black metal), all I feel is depression, sad, melancholic, and all that type of music refer to similar to Burzum's music. Of course, not all raw black metal ( close to Burzum), make us feel depressive, Xasthur or some band dont, but the whole melancholic feeling refers generally for whole this type of music, as u call "depressive black metal". I indeed agree Burzum music is too melancholic. But I dont feel it heavily so far as suicide
20.10.2006 - 21:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Should I mention 'The Ruins Of Beverast'?

I have some stuff of them and I think it is quite depressive Black Metal, so I thought I'd mention them. An intro like the intro in 'Between Bronze Walls' is pure madness of a depressed madman, scares the shit out of me, to be honest.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.10.2006 - 22:31
Damnated
Churchburner
I'd like to see you scared
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
22.10.2006 - 00:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Grimurc on 19.10.2006 at 19:20

To all lads who quoted my message: i dont think that it's a reason why some people riot at schools or something...its the prejudice that other people make about black metal...they easily find black metal as a scapegoat of what some people did on american schools and many suicides...it's not because of black metal but most of the insurgents listened to metal and when people hear the word metal they think about crazy bodypainted rebels they once saw on tv or internet or something... maybe it's a hard statement for me to make..and i dont know why i made it but whatever...i dont like depressive thoughts maybe im scared for it or something but my life opinion is to party hard and drink beer and dont be a naive depressed person..of course i respect depressed persons about what they got through but sometimes when its escalade its always the scapegoat who comes near....maybe some of yer lads dont understand my statement but thats what i am thinking about...sorry cant help it cheers!

Ok i see but moust of pl dont know about metal,, tahy think its Arghhhhwarar and IIIIIIIIII if you get what i try to say, tahy think Accept, Led Zeppelin are evil, metal its abnd but thay dont know nothing about supgenres and stuff and mosut of kids in nodas I lsiten Linkin park Im metalhead,
Moust of metal heads are intelectual, emotional, lonly pll and mots of them dont do that stuffs, its more video game kids and simmilar in Riga(capital of latvia) in metal club goes ppl there was some reportage about drugs, there all was clean and lil drunk, listen music and open minded, but disco clubs planty moust was in drugs, whit nifes and agresiwe, so metal is not such evil
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2006 - 03:46
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Bad English on 22.10.2006 at 00:19

Moust of metal heads are intelectual, emotional, lonly pll and mots of them dont do that stuffs

I can tell you, most of the metalheads are just as much as an idiot as any random person from the street.
There are intelligent metalheads, but generally, most of them are just like any other person.

as far as depressive black metal goes. try Mütiilation or Anorexia Nervosa. Both deal with very sorrowful emotions and thoughts.
22.10.2006 - 10:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Blackgir - om moust of them are but sorry write lyrics, so good lyrics how ok Anarexia Nervosa a idiot dont know so many languages

To write music IMO need emotions, fielings and some how express them self but idiot can express them self, sreeming like Beavis n Butthead not write great lyric
----

apos;'
[image]
22.10.2006 - 11:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by AntaeusM on 22.10.2006 at 03:46

Written by Bad English on 22.10.2006 at 00:19

Moust of metal heads are intelectual, emotional, lonly pll and mots of them dont do that stuffs

I can tell you, most of the metalheads are just as much as an idiot as any random person from the street.
There are intelligent metalheads, but generally, most of them are just like any other person.

true. And I'd even like to go as far as to say that the percentage of morons and idiots within the metal community is even HIGHER than what you find around you in everyday life. Just go to a standard concert and you'll see what I mean. Okay metalheads are generally friendly people but more than half of them are braindead mornic friendly people nonetheless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996