Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
01.04.2007 - 21:10
Basso Of Steel
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 01.04.2007 at 19:01

I'm listening to Halmstad atm, and it's very good. less depressive, and pretty dynamic. defenetly a good change in the sound. reminds me of Lifelover in a way.

yeah I did just listen to it on my Ipod and what can I say? Its really great, fans of the fouth album will not get dissapointed. However people that expect true bm should look elsewhere, this is highly rock'n'rollish.
01.04.2007 - 22:34
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 01.04.2007 at 21:10

Written by Damnated on 01.04.2007 at 19:01

I'm listening to Halmstad atm, and it's very good. less depressive, and pretty dynamic. defenetly a good change in the sound. reminds me of Lifelover in a way.

yeah I did just listen to it on my Ipod and what can I say? Its really great, fans of the fouth album will not get dissapointed. However people that expect true bm should look elsewhere, this is highly rock'n'rollish.

it's not just rock and roll-ish, it's very poppy too. they have defenetly joined the new depressive pop/rock movement. i will give it a couple of plays, but until now, i found it flawless.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.04.2007 - 22:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I must hear it. I think I'll buy it, together with the fourth album with my new salary. Goes before all other bands. Damn, why is my paycheck still three weeks away.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.04.2007 - 12:16
Basso
Account deleted
Its a shame you cannot understand Swedish, the Shining lyrics really add to the atmosphere since on the new album Kvarforths vocals are clearly distinguishable. I must say the lyrics are great.
02.04.2007 - 16:29
Dead Ohlin
Mo.Panahi
^ ^ ^
Im with you bro
----
A man's dead body must always
have been a source of interest to
those whose companion he was while he lived ...
02.04.2007 - 18:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Basso: ye be my translator.

Is it already for sale? I thought it would still take some time. Or did it leak?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.04.2007 - 21:31
Dub
Account deleted
Yes I was joking about My Chemical Romance. Thats pretty obvious...

Nortt also should definatly be mentioned.
03.04.2007 - 12:34
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 02.04.2007 at 18:18

@Basso: ye be my translator.

Is it already for sale? I thought it would still take some time. Or did it leak?

Leaky leaky. I actually think there will be translated lyrics in the booklet in the official Halmstad release. Enjoy them when you get the original copy
03.04.2007 - 12:58
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by Guest on 30.03.2007 at 23:05

Written by Bad English on 30.03.2007 at 22:58

Written by Guest on 30.03.2007 at 22:34

Bethlehem

I know such black/death/doom metal band wery depresive and sorrowfull and siuc9idel music

Good signature my friend, you're totally right with that sentence

OMG , haha

BTW how many people around really think that Depressive DBM is third wave of Black Metal .... there are lot and lots of DBM bands .... still going through the list which one of my kvlt freind gave me .... Started from I Shalt Become .... Listening Nortt (Depressive BM / Funeral Doom ) these days.

Someone mentioned Silencer here , thats fucking awesome band
03.04.2007 - 16:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Basso

I definatly will enjoy. I don't think I'm going to download the leaked thing, I'll just buy the cd and let it blow me away.
----

04.04.2007 - 05:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Anyone into Instinct??? I just checked their self-titled album and it's pretty haunting
14.04.2007 - 09:49
ildkrig
Account deleted
Forgotten tomb are mint
14.04.2007 - 16:23
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
What about Forgotten Tomb
14.04.2007 - 16:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 14.04.2007 at 16:23

haha I agree but ist more blacl/doom metal, whit werry depresive melodies, music and awsome depresive lyrics about suicide
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2007 - 20:12
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 14.04.2007 at 16:42

Written by Guest on 14.04.2007 at 16:23

haha I agree but ist more blacl/doom metal, whit werry depresive melodies, music and awsome depresive lyrics about suicide

Forgotten Tomb are far more bombastic than depressive... and the negative feelings are much better done when they're kind of veiled, leaving the music speak by itself, and not through lyrics like AAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHH!!!! KILL YOURSEEEEEEEELF!!!!!!! CUT YOU'RE FUCKING VEEEEEEEEEINS!!!!! I'M SO FUCKING DEPREEEEEEEEEEESED!!!!!!
17.04.2007 - 14:48
Dub
Account deleted
Have you read the lyrics to Death - Pierce Me?
Saying that though Nattramns vocals make it sound fucking awesome

Happiness is a short moment, in which we forget to be human....now thats a depressive lyric.
Entombed by Winter is a superb track.

Have Elysian Blaze been mentioned?
18.04.2007 - 00:41
ildkrig
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.04.2007 at 09:49

Forgotten tomb are mint
18.04.2007 - 20:21
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
I also think the French band Nocturnal Depression deserve a mention, it is the best example of suicidal Black Metal, i've only been able to listen to their lastest offering twice because the suicidal emotions on the album are so strong,it makes you feel unbelieveable sad and melancholy it is not a band for everyone though.
18.04.2007 - 21:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.04.2007 at 20:21

I also think the French band Nocturnal Depression deserve a mention, it is the best example of suicidal Black Metal, i've only been able to listen to their lastest offering twice because the suicidal emotions on the album are so strong,it makes you feel unbelieveable sad and melancholy it is not a band for everyone though.

I just listen them in myspace and I agree about what you say, Its depresive suicide BM band, also wierd but seems Frencha nd Italian bands are more depresive and suicide poetical band show Scandic!
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2007 - 22:40
Nocturnum Pestis
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.04.2007 at 21:58

Written by Guest on 18.04.2007 at 20:21

I just listen them in myspace and I agree about what you say, Its depresive suicide BM band, also wierd but seems Frencha nd Italian bands are more depresive and suicide poetical band show Scandic!

I'm not really sure on there entire SUBM scene as i'm not really a fan of it, i like 2 or 3 bands from the whole thing, it doesn't really do much for me, on another note has anyone heard of the Canadian Band Sombre Forets they are probably the worst example i mean, i think it would have been easier for main man Annatar to have gotten a copy of "A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors" and slapped his logo on it, (actually no even his logo looks almost the same as Xasthur's).
19.04.2007 - 16:29
Bubonic
Nowadays, I think the italian BM scene is one of the most interesting scenes around in this type of music (Urna, Arcana Coelestia, Melencolia Estatica..).

For those interested in depressive music, it will be out next week the portuguese zine Laudatio Funebris (written in english) featuring pagan, depressive black meta and extreme (mainly funeral) doom. It will be a 500 copies collector's edition.
Here's the cover:

19.04.2007 - 18:26
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bubonic on 19.04.2007 at 16:29

Nowadays, I think the italian BM scene is one of the most interesting scenes around in this type of music (Urna, Arcana Coelestia, Melencolia Estatica..).

For those interested in depressive music, it will be out next week the portuguese zine Laudatio Funebris (written in english) featuring pagan, depressive black meta and extreme (mainly funeral) doom. It will be a 500 copies collector's edition.
Here's the cover:

Do you have interviews with all those bands on the frontpage? Or simply album-reviews. If there are some good interviews, I think I'll order one!
----

19.04.2007 - 19:22
Zombie, M.D.
500 copies doesnt seem like much of a 'collectors edition', especially for a printed 'zine. Id even say thats quite a large run.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
20.04.2007 - 01:59
Bubonic
Written by Lucas on 19.04.2007 at 18:26

Written by Bubonic on 19.04.2007 at 16:29

Here's the cover:

Do you have interviews with all those bands on the frontpage? Or simply album-reviews. If there are some good interviews, I think I'll order one!

Yes, all bands in the cover were interviewed.

To become the zine more limited (less copies) it wouldn't be possible to make a professional printing, it had to be xeroxed. Honestly, I thought it was preferible more quality than cultness.
20.04.2007 - 09:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I can imagine. Could you PM me more information about your zine, that would be very kind.
----

18.06.2007 - 15:41
villain
Written by Guest on 07.06.2006 at 23:39

But there is an album (I think that most of people will desagree with me now) called "Stormblast" that I think that it's one of the best depressive black metal albuns ever! Songs like "Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen" and "Sorgens Kammer" are really dark and melancholic, at least in my opinion... hehehe!

WTF?^10
There's nothing depressive or melancholic about the album (maybe a touch of it in Sorgens Kammer).
I haven't really listened to any depressive BM other than Burzum
but the cover of "Black Spell of Destruction" by Nargaroth (not by Xasthur) really hits the mark.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
19.06.2007 - 11:33
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by villain on 18.06.2007 at 15:41

Written by Guest on 07.06.2006 at 23:39

But there is an album (I think that most of people will desagree with me now) called "Stormblast" that I think that it's one of the best depressive black metal albuns ever! Songs like "Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen" and "Sorgens Kammer" are really dark and melancholic, at least in my opinion... hehehe!

WTF?^10
There's nothing depressive or melancholic about the album (maybe a touch of it in Sorgens Kammer).
I haven't really listened to any depressive BM other than Burzum
but the cover of "Black Spell of Destruction" by Nargaroth (not by Xasthur) really hits the mark.

The fact that Sorgens Kammer is slightly a ripoff of a videogame kinda ruins the depressive touch for me.
I cannot really see why you see that cover of Burzum as depressive, generally, Nargaroth's songs aren't really focused on depressive emotions.

I have no idea if I said it already in this topic, but when it comes to depressive black metal, nothing can beat Mutiilation or Weakling, hah.
19.06.2007 - 13:01
Damnated
Churchburner
did anybody hear Taarma? depressive black from afghanistan, with basement like productions, and a killer atmosphere. recommended..
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
19.06.2007 - 13:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 19.06.2007 at 13:01

did anybody hear Taarma? depressive black from afghanistan, with basement like productions, and a killer atmosphere. recommended..

I had hear and its realy depresive its like be in mine field and walking and babam
I think i had something from them, but I had listen only once amn more depresive how Forggoten Tomb
----

apos;'
[image]
19.06.2007 - 13:25
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 19.06.2007 at 13:11

Written by Damnated on 19.06.2007 at 13:01

I had hear and its realy depresive its like be in mine field and walking and babam
I think i had something from them, but I had listen only once amn more depresive how Forggoten Tomb

try to get the new album, Remnants of a Tormenting Black Shadow
----