Metal Storm logo
Dirge Music Gone Soul-Wrecking

Well, here it is. I was a bit reluctant over listing my favorite funeral doom metal albums but here they are. Feel free to leave a suggestion or two. It's highly appreciated.

Also the albums are sorted by the date of release.

Created by: Monolithic | 26.09.2013

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Monolithic ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 40   Visited by: 164 users
26.09.2013 - 17:59
Erik M.
Nice list so far, but missing at least 1 album/band:
- Shape of Despair - Shades Of... (or any of the other two albums, but I highly prefer the debut)

That's the only essential band (for me that is, since I haven't delved deep into the funeral doom genre) that has to be on here if you ask me, but there are many others that qualify for this list:
- Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
- Black Wreath - A Pyre of Lost Dreams
- Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh
- Depressed Mode - Ghosts Of Devotion
- Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale/Dead Words Speak (or maybe even the new album that's going to be released this year)
- Monolithe - Monolithe I (or any of the others, but haven't heard those)
- Profetus - Coronation Of The Black Sun/...To Open The Passages In Dusk
- Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday/Dooom

That should be enough for now. Have fun checking them out.
26.09.2013 - 18:04
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 17:59

Nice list so far, but missing at least 1 album/band:
- Shape of Despair - Shades Of... (or any of the other two albums, but I highly prefer the debut)

That's the only essential band (for me that is, since I haven't delved deep into the funeral doom genre) that has to be on here if you ask me, but there are many others that qualify for this list:
- Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
- Black Wreath - A Pyre of Lost Dreams
- Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh
- Depressed Mode - Ghosts Of Devotion
- Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale/Dead Words Speak (or maybe even the new album that's going to be released this year)
- Monolithe - Monolithe I (or any of the others, but haven't heard those)
- Profetus - Coronation Of The Black Sun/...To Open The Passages In Dusk
- Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday/Dooom

That should be enough for now. Have fun checking them out.

You're totally right about Shape of Despair. I'll add it. As for the others, sure thing and thanks. I'm sure I've listened to some of them but it never hurts to go back and try them.

PS: You know, I had sent an email to Johan Ericson (Doom:VS) for an interview but unfortunately nothing came out of it.
26.09.2013 - 18:13
Erik M.
Written by Monolithic on 26.09.2013 at 18:04

You're totally right about Shape of Despair. I'll add it. As for the others, sure thing and thanks. I'm sure I've listened to some of them but it never hurts to go back and try them.

PS: You know, I had sent an email to Johan Ericson (Doom:VS) for an interview but unfortunately nothing came out of it.

Good to see you added their debut. In my opinion it totally blows away Angels of Distress which is probably only so popular because of the song "Quiet These Paintings Are". A brilliant song but unfortunately the only brilliant song on the album with the rest being way less great.

Shame you didn't get to interview him. Anyway, not saying the list should be huge, but it could benefit from most (if not all) bands/albums I suggested.
26.09.2013 - 18:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 18:13

Good to see you added their debut. In my opinion it totally blows away Angels of Distress which is probably only so popular because of the song "Quiet These Paintings Are". A brilliant song but unfortunately the only brilliant song on the album with the rest being way less great.

Shame you didn't get to interview him. Anyway, not saying the list should be huge, but it could benefit from most (if not all) bands/albums I suggested.

I love their debut too. Angels of Distress wasn't really my cup of coffee, either. I found it somewhat lacking and less majestic than the debut. Illusion's Play wasn't much convincing either, although it was far better than AoD. Not at all mate, I'll be happy to use suggestions and maintain crowd control over this list at the same time.

Then I got the chance to get in touch with the folks from In Mourning. They were a bit surprised that they had fans in Iran as well. lol
(All my interviews are published on this Iranian forum I work for.)
26.09.2013 - 18:44
Erik M.
Written by Monolithic on 26.09.2013 at 18:22

I love their debut too. Angels of Distress wasn't really my cup of coffee, either. I found it somewhat lacking and less majestic than the debut. Illusion's Play wasn't much convincing either, although it was far better than AoD. Not at all mate, I'll be happy to use suggestions and maintain crowd control over this list at the same time.

Then I got the chance to get in touch with the folks from In Mourning. They were a bit surprised that they had fans in Iran as well. lol
(All my interviews are published on this Iranian forum I work for.)

Yes, Shades Of... is near-perfect for me, an amazing piece of work. And I would actually call Angels of Distress boring sometimes, while Shades Of... is never boring. Haven't heard Illusion's Play, but will definitely check it out sooner or later, but I won't expect too much of it.

A list like this (as far as I know the only funeral doom list on MS) is helpful to me since now I realize there are still a couple funeral doom debuts for my list to check out.
26.09.2013 - 18:52
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 18:44

A list like this (as far as I know the only funeral doom list on MS) is helpful to me since now I realize there are still a couple funeral doom debuts for my list to check out.

I'm glad it turned out helpful.
26.09.2013 - 18:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
As for Erik's suggestions Ataraxie isn't funeral doom but death/doom
as Funeral somehow peplpe keep on calling that album you listd funeral doom when I at most hear death/doom there with some slight gothic thrown in. And Evoken I have Always considered bordeline death/doom fuineral/doom but do fir in this list.

Btw nice list but I do miss either the Worship DEMO which Erik named (but it's actually a demo) or their debut album Dooom.

Also check out Wolvserpent - Perigaea Antahka
and anything by Wormphlegm and also Tyranny.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.09.2013 - 19:02
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2013 at 18:55

as Funeral somehow peplpe keep on calling that album you listd funeral doom when I at most hear death/doom there with some slight gothic thrown in. And Evoken I have Always considered bordeline death/doom fuineral/doom but do fir in this list.

Btw nice list but I do miss either the Worship DEMO which Erik named (but it's actually a demo) or their debut album Dooom.

Ataraxie...I only listened to their last album.
I'm sure Funeral and Evoken fall under the "doom albums with a borderline personality disorder" category. As for Worship + Wolvserpent + Wormphlegm + Tyranny, sure thing. I'm making a long list for the nominees I want to add.
26.09.2013 - 20:23
Erik M.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2013 at 18:55

I think Ataraxie is funeral death doom, just like Evoken (at least Quietus, which I listened to lots of times). Evoken (again, specifically directed at Quietus) is definitely not pure death doom... atmospheric death doom I can see though, but I still think funeral death doom fits Evoken best.

Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday is a full length album according to MS, but at MA it's considered a demo. Okay, I'll replace it with the real debut album on my own list then.
26.09.2013 - 22:26
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 20:23

Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday is a full length album according to MS, but at MA it's considered a demo.

And rateyourmusic says it's a full length album.
26.09.2013 - 22:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Monolithic on 26.09.2013 at 22:26

Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 20:23

Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday is a full length album according to MS, but at MA it's considered a demo.

And rateyourmusic says it's a full length album.

it's a demo tape (released in 1999) that clocks in at 46 minutes and was only later re-released as cd (in 2004 and 2006 bot times with a bonus track) and vinyl (in 2002 and 2009)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.09.2013 - 13:33
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Alright,

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.09.2013 at 22:41

and
Written by Erik M. on 26.09.2013 at 22:26

Dooom has been added since I found myself dead and dreaming while listening to the entire album. Now to the next phase...
28.09.2013 - 14:42
Metalzadeh
Great list man ,
Here is another remarkable album :
Comatose Vigil (Rus) - 2005 - Not a Gleam of Hope
Cheers
28.09.2013 - 14:56
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Metalzadeh on 28.09.2013 at 14:42

Great list man ,
Here is another remarkable album :
Comatose Vigil (Rus) - 2005 - Not a Gleam of Hope
Cheers

Hey man, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I've heard a song or two by Comatose Vigil and they're very good. I'll add it once I'm done listening to it.
28.09.2013 - 15:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Some of these albums are ones I've become particularly attached to from this genre as well. I tried to like Thegothon but I couldnt get past the wall of fuzzy.

I'd suggest Wraith of the Ropes, their album Ada is disturbing, scary stuff. Especially the half whispered half growled vocals.
28.09.2013 - 15:26
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by R'Vannith on 28.09.2013 at 15:03

Some of these albums are ones I've become particularly attached to from this genre as well. I tried to like Thegothon but I couldnt get past the wall of fuzzy.
I'd suggest Wraith of the Ropes, their album Ada is disturbing, scary stuff. Especially the half whispered half growled vocals.

hahahaha you're totally right about the fuzziness. The production is the hardest part to get attached to. For me the music was easy to digest though.
As for Wraith of the Ropes, sure thing. I'll listen to Ada, and if I lived through that, I'll add it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
28.09.2013 - 18:52
Carrion Misery
Great list, dude. Doom:VS and Black Wreath are awesome as well. I suggest adding Void of Silence and Longing For Dawn. Great fucking bands. Inspirational as hell. Longing For Dawn is perfect for driving on a dark winter evening.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
28.09.2013 - 21:47
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Carrion Misery on 28.09.2013 at 18:52

Great list, dude. Doom:VS and Black Wreath are awesome as well. I suggest adding Void of Silence and Longing For Dawn. Great fucking bands. Inspirational as hell. Longing For Dawn is perfect for driving on a dark winter evening.

Hey thanks man. I'm gonna add Doom:VS after I post this message. As for Void of Silence, I'm a bit reluctant over selecting an album. Although it's a little hard to get into their stuff, nevertheless they all would qualify as "compelling funeral doom metal albums".

As for the others, sure thing. It's a shame we can't have a good winter here in Dubai but the music is good.
29.09.2013 - 12:44
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
May I suggest Funeralium's debut, "Funeralium".
29.09.2013 - 12:50
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2013 at 12:44

May I suggest Funeralium's debut, "Funeralium".

Sure thing, why not? I've only listened to Deceived Idealism but I'll add it once I'm done listening to it.

Thanks for dropping by and the suggestion.
29.09.2013 - 13:01
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Monolithic on 29.09.2013 at 12:50

Sure thing, why not? I've only listened to Deceived Idealism

This one is pretty much straight death doom. The debut is different. And better.
29.09.2013 - 13:07
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2013 at 13:01

This one is pretty much straight death doom. The debut is different. And better.

Oh....yeah it didn't sound like a funeral doom metal album. That's why I didn't add it. Anyway, I'll add it once I listen to it.
29.09.2013 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2013 at 13:01

The debut is different.

yes.

Quote:

And better.

no
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2013 - 17:22
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2013 at 16:39

no

you know, like 8.2 vs 8.0 better
29.09.2013 - 17:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2013 at 17:22

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2013 at 16:39

no

you know, like 8.2 vs 8.0 better

still no. I'd rate Funeralim 7.9 and Deceived Idealism 8.9, so clearly Funeralium is the weaker album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2013 - 20:33
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Both albums are very good and Funeralium is a kickass band. How about that?
29.09.2013 - 20:42
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Daniell on 29.09.2013 at 20:33

Both albums are very good and Funeralium is a kickass band. How about that?

I would agree this way. However I haven't listened to the album YET.
30.09.2013 - 13:53
mz
What about faal's last album?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.09.2013 - 14:02
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:53

already on the playlist to be listened to. I was confused whether they were playing blackened doom metal or funeral doom metal. :/
30.09.2013 - 14:10
mz
Written by Monolithic on 30.09.2013 at 14:02

Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:53

already on the playlist to be listened to. I was confused whether they were playing blackened doom metal or funeral doom metal. :/

well to be honest, I just played that album once and then for odd reasons, it got deleted from my hard drive. Back then I did not know what is exactly funeral doom but for sure "clouds are burning" resembled esoteric and I thought it is funeral doom. overall, it was a damn good album.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 3656 | This month: 5