Metal Storm logo
Striborg

03.01.2007 - 18:13
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Striborg - abrasive, nocturnal, raw, cold and isolating.

The key words I'd use when describing Australian Black Metal/Ambient one man band Stribog.
Sounds simualr to Ildjarn, and purely for fans of the underground black metal and all that comes with. I.e: minimal production, teased out guitars, repeatative drumming and high pitched screams.
He's released alot of stuff, and in my collection I only have 3; 'Black Desolate Winter/Depressive Hibernation', 'Nocturnal Emissions/Nyctophobia' and 'Trepidation'.
All are very raw which was the main reason for me not getting into them when I first heard the material, and after awhile started to grow on me alot.
Listening to the albums is almost an isolating experience. The guitars have no warmth at all, the repetitive drum lines give it a strange comfort and Sin Nanna's vocals are abrasive and cold.

Heres a link where 2 tracks are open for streaming (think its a fans page):
http://www.myspace.com/striborg

What do you think about Striborg?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
03.01.2007 - 19:00
Basso
Account deleted
I have only heard this one Black Desolate Winter/Depressive Hibernation and I thought it was horrible. I dont like striborg at all and I find them utterly boring.
(this opinion is only based on Black Desolate Winter/Depressive Hibernation)
03.01.2007 - 20:02
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i've only heard a few mp3's but i've got to agree with basso that it's horrible. i've been told all their material is pretty consistent so i don't feel the need to hear more.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
04.01.2007 - 01:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know this band I know only fiew mp3 from my space but I like it and I had read all lyrics of them and I like this band but i wanna hear something more but I jsut wanna say this are in Top 3 of Australian BM scene, I know it for shore
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.01.2007 - 02:19
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
Recently went out and grabbed the Striborg "Embittered Darkness/Isles de Morts" best of compilation and im impressed by the sheer coldness of the production its so dodge i love it... and sin nanna's vocals are just wierdly rad.
04.01.2007 - 04:09
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Striborg are one of my personal favorites. Been a fan of the band for a while now, after I got my hands on Spiritual Catharsis, which is my favorite album. Mysterious Semblance is also a very good album. Also enjoyed the demo 'Misanthropic Isolation'.
04.01.2007 - 05:44
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Its definalty a band whether you like or you hate, as it appears to be.

When I first listened to it I couldnt stand the horrible production and it bored me too... but after listening to alot of other 'tr00' black metal with the same sorts of sound - i.e. poor production - I went back and started to listen to Striborg again and didnt mind it.

Although i think the poor production could be just the sake of making the his music more hard to get into possibly to target the people that are into the harsher/underground BM bands.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.01.2007 - 21:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Striborg is just bad. I can't add anything else.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.01.2007 - 12:58
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 06.01.2007 at 21:13

Striborg is just bad. I can't add anything else.

Come on Damnated, atleast give a reason for why you consider Striborg to be 'bad'.
07.01.2007 - 13:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 07.01.2007 at 12:58

Come on Damnated, atleast give a reason for why you consider Striborg to be 'bad'.

the sound is too minimal. the guitars just buzz, the low pitched screams don't work, they sound like a cat wich is being eaten by a mouse, the music iteslf is boring and too monotonous and the low production just makes everything worse.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.01.2007 - 10:45
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I have "In The Heart Of The Rain Forest".. Very distorted, very raw, quite extreme but at times is overly repetitive. Its ok for a listen now and then though as I quite enjoy the harsh atmosphere it has sometimes..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
29.04.2007 - 17:19
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
Got the new album nefaria and it comes with a tragic journey towards the light as a bonus... nefaria is sin nanna at his most refined whereas yrajic seems more raw and truly striborg... decent release though, cold as ever
30.04.2007 - 13:54
Judas
The Amputator
Well, up until like a week ago I hadn't heard more than the 2 tracks on that myspace site, but on Saturday I managed to find 'Embittered Darkness/Isle de Morts'. It's not the sort of music that I'd listen to regularly, but at the time I was in the mood for something like that - dark, harsh, repetitive, cold and forlorn. Once you're past the unbelievably bad production and buzzing guitar tone, the music is quite magical, but again, only if you're in the mood for it. Definitely not a regular for me, it was pretty fucking weird upon second listen, but nonetheless Sin-Nanna has my respect, albeit while thinking he's a total fuck-up.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
04.05.2007 - 21:09
Lathronniel

every true black mettaler puts great feelings in the music that makes...so i think if u can't listen it..try again to get in striborg's mind...for me striborg is average for some things sometimes borring but has also many qualities!try to find them!
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
25.06.2007 - 04:06
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Cant believe that Striborg has been added to Metalstorm. Haha, thats two of my hometown bands now added here. Although, this band isnt exactly an accomplishment to be on here.

I am, on the other hand, interested in hearing the split album with Xasthur which should be released sometime this year.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.06.2007 - 04:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I have nothing intelligent to add to this conversation, but I felt like mentioning that Striborg sounds like an alien name.

That is all for now.
26.06.2007 - 13:15
Vakshay
Account deleted
Mysterious Semblance is a good album, really cold and raw, but it gets boring sometimes when it doesn't summon a good atmosphere. The guitars are the thinnest I've ever heard though, and sometimes it sounds a carbon copy of Xasthur (can't stand Xasthur, Striborg are twenty times better for those wondering). Upside though is the drums, Sin Nanna has obviously picked up the sticks before.
26.06.2007 - 13:29
APOHAKC
The Bard
Very strange name for a band from Australia, anyway, I checked them up, and it is pretty good, kind of Black Metal I really enjoy.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
26.06.2007 - 13:31
Damnated
Churchburner
did anybody hear the new album? i'm going to leech it today, but i'm interested if it's any good... i dunno why, but i like to give a second chance to bands like striborg....
----

27.06.2007 - 11:25
Hyvaarin

Written by Dangerboner on 25.06.2007 at 04:25

Striborg sounds like an alien name.

So does "Sin Nanna", now that you mention it.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
27.06.2007 - 13:34
APOHAKC
The Bard
Striborg, don't sound like an alien name at all, it is very old name
----
28.06.2007 - 09:51
Judas
The Amputator
It sounds like someone fucking up the pronunciation of the word 'Cyborg'. Hence, it sounds mechanical and futuristic. Sin Nanna sounds like the stage name of a deviant grandmother.
----
28.06.2007 - 14:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
Do you actually knows what Striborg means now, and what it use to mean before? Much before?
----
28.06.2007 - 14:56
Judas
The Amputator
Written by APOHAKC on 28.06.2007 at 14:11

Do you actually knows what Striborg means now, and what it use to mean before? Much before?

Can't say I do, sorry. Would you mind enlightening us, if possible?
----
28.06.2007 - 17:54
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
"Sin (Nanna)" is a Sumerian crescent moon god. "Striborg" is the god of winds in slavonic mythology. All winds and storms are said to be his grandsons ("stribozhi vnuci").

Apparently, he was supporting Sun O))) & Boris when they where in the country doing there Australian tour. Well so I've heard, Im not certain about that seeing as we havent had an appearence from him in years.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
29.06.2007 - 10:21
Vakshay
Account deleted
Darn it I really wanted to go to that show but they didn't have an under 18s appearance! Seeing Striborg would have made it all the better as well!
29.06.2007 - 14:57
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Xtreme Jax on 28.06.2007 at 17:54

"Sin (Nanna)" is a Sumerian crescent moon god. "Striborg" is the god of winds in slavonic mythology. All winds and storms are said to be his grandsons ("stribozhi vnuci").

Apparently, he was supporting Sun O))) & Boris when they where in the country doing there Australian tour. Well so I've heard, Im not certain about that seeing as we havent had an appearence from him in years.

Thanks for the information on his nomenclature, and holy fuck, I totally would have gone to Sunn O))) if I had known he would be supporting them. Although, neither of those bands are really 'live' music.
----