Metal Storm logo
Helloween - Gothic Theatre, Colorado, USA - 2 Oct 2013

Event: Helloween: Hellish Rock Part II - North America 2013
Written by: D.T. Metal
Published: 15.10.2013

Galleries:

Helloween - Gothic Theatre, Englewood, USA - 2 Oct 2013 by D.T. Metal (30)

Helloween came to the Centennial State aka Colorado! The last time on tour in North America ? "tour" being a 10 day plus/minus stint, they made it as close as New Mexico and a lot of Colorado fans just didn't have the time or means to get down there. So, "Are You Metal", Colorado? Apparently not as metal as I thought - the Gothic Theatre in Englewood was not sold out, not even close to be honest. Shame on you! But for those of us who did make it out that night, we had an awesome time.

The German powerhouse of the genre brought their A game, or rather their A+ game, and proved why, after almost 30 years in the business, Helloween is still a force to be reckoned with.

I totally missed the local opener and walked into the venue just as the touring support band, New York's thrash metal outfit Coldsteel, ended their last song. They actually sounded pretty good and I might have to check them out the next time they play in the Denver area.

As I made my way down to the stage, AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" played through the venue's PA and I knew this was the sign for Helloween's grand entrance. People were singing left and right, since let's face it, who doesn't know that song or at least the chorus. As soon as the last trumpet from "Walls Of Jericho" was done - ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Helloween, and while Daniel Löble was already behind his kit, the rest of the band came onstage one by one, with Andi being the last. The crowd went absolutely fucking nuts.

Dum, dum, dum dum dum dum dumdum - crap, I suck at writing out tunes, but they started with "Eagle Fly Free" off the second Keeper's album and people probably thought, "great, they play their old shit". Unfortunately not really and Michael Weikath told me during our interview (click here for the link) that apparently the fans are sick of the oldies but goodies and want to hear the newer material. Hmmm, alrighty then, but the next couple songs Helloween played were from their newer releases, 2010's 7 Sinners and this year's Straight Out Of Hell. Honestly, no big deal and the audience sang most of the lyrics to "Straight Out Of Hell" anyways.

Helloween clearly fed off the audience's energy and the vibe in the room was fantastic. The extremely talented Markus Grosskopf was all over the place, rocking his bass guitar and making his ever so funny faces. Weikath and Sascha Gerstner didn't just do a phenomenal job on their guitars, nope, they were beyond awesome. Especially during "I'm Alive" with the trade-off between their harmony parts and Sascha's Kai Hansen solos, nice!

When I saw Helloween this past January on the 70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise, the incorporation of a drum solo seemed a bit dumb because of the limited playing time they had on the boat, but I have to say it did work out nicely during their set this time around. I guess it gives the other members a break while Dani is hitting the shit out of his drums. (hmm, when does HE get a break though?) Anyways, the crowd really liked it. And another thing they liked was the ballad "Hold Me In Your Arms" off Straight Out Of Hell as well as the follower, "If I Could Fly". Then right before the encore things went into high gear again with "Hell Was Made In Heaven" and "Power" from their back catalogue.

The first encore started with "Are You Metal?" and ended with the ever so popular "Dr. Stein". Some people actually started to leave after this - amateurs, the house light wasn't on, which meant there was more to come - and oh did it ever. Do I like "Future World" better with Kiske singing it? Probably. But this didn't take away from the fact that Andi Deris was on top of his game that night. He sounded great and his interaction with the audience was over the top. Front man extraordinaire. He engaged the fans earlier in the set during "Live Now!" with having a side to side competition on who sings "Live Now!" and who screams "oh oh oh oh" better. Pretty funny.

Sporting his KISS shirt, the one with Gene Simmons's tongue, he posed quite often for the fans with his own tongue sticking out just as much. Gene still wins in this department though. Seriously, Andi looked and acted like he had the time of his life on stage. Helloween ended their set with "I Want Out" and under tremendous applause from everyone, the band lined up in front of the drum kit and bowed to the audience.

It was a great night for power metal fans and while I would have liked a couple more "oldies", I was satisfied with the set-list. Some things could have been improved though, like bring more merch next time and also a better selection. Secondly, and this has nothing to do with Helloween themselves, but - dude - you don't start a mosh-pit during ANY of their songs. Never. Ever. Period. It's power metal. And the sad thing was it was one of the members from a band who also played that evening. Besides that, everyone had a great time and I sure can't wait until Helloween returns once again to the Denver region.

SETLIST:

Written on 15.10.2013 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 73 users
15.10.2013 - 23:53
Metal Invader

I watched Helloween with Gamma Ray in Ljubljana on this tour and it whas great concert!
16.10.2013 - 17:30
D.T. Metal

Written by Metal Invader on 15.10.2013 at 23:53

I watched Helloween with Gamma Ray in Ljubljana on this tour and it whas great concert!

Sweet. Well last time Helloween was in North America, Gamma Ray was with them, but unfortunately NOT this time
18.10.2013 - 00:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dum, dum, dum dum dum dum dumdum - crap, I suck at writing out tunes

beavis n butthead would like that part
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.10.2013 - 13:06
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
You're not allowed to mosh if it's power metal? What kind of bullshit rule is that?
----
THRASH!!!
27.10.2013 - 21:14
D.T. Metal

Written by DrunkenFuck on 22.10.2013 at 13:06

You're not allowed to mosh if it's power metal? What kind of bullshit rule is that?

Mine
28.10.2013 - 11:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by D.T. Metal on 27.10.2013 at 21:14

Mine

while a moshpit during a power metal band is already stupid, though I can see why people would start them, especially during old (first album) Helloween, imagine my annoyance at them during a doom gig. And yes it does happen from time to time at doom gigs. Especially when they are attended by people who are only into the big names of names. And the French seem to start moshpits with every single band. FFS I saw them start one during Candlemass playing Solitude. Some sorts of metal are not to be moshed at. What's next starting a wall of death at a doom gig?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2013 - 17:16
D.T. Metal

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2013 at 11:26

while a moshpit during a power metal band is already stupid, though I can see why people would start them, especially during old (first album) Helloween, imagine my annoyance at them during a doom gig. And yes it does happen from time to time at doom gigs. Especially when they are attended by people who are only into the big names of names. And the French seem to start moshpits with every single band. FFS I saw them start one during Candlemass playing Solitude. Some sorts of metal are not to be moshed at. What's next starting a wall of death at a doom gig?

People here are weird when it comes to moshing. They will mosh at anything. And I am using the term "mosh" very liberal here. It's that karate chopping Bullshit they do these days.
28.10.2013 - 18:34
Head of Metal

Sounds like it was a fun show! Congratulations on getting to see them.
----
Metal. Music. Life. www.headofmetal.com
29.10.2013 - 12:48
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2013 at 11:26

Written by D.T. Metal on 27.10.2013 at 21:14

Mine

Why is it stupid though? Power metal is usually fast as hell, and it just so happens that fast music makes for good moshing madness. If you want to stand and hold hands while you sing every lyric, just step outside the pit.
----
THRASH!!!

Hits total: 8486 | This month: 8