Metal Storm logo
Most Underrated Albums (For Their Band's Standard)

NO MORE ARGUMENTS ABOUT OPETH EDITION!

Ever had that one album that a band has made that everybody just passes off as being decent while you see it as a masterpiece? Well, here are (in no particular order) the albums that I feel deserve much more attention than what they got from their fanbases.

Created by: Lethrokai | 30.08.2013

1. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Perhaps the rawest of modern DT, the 1st CD is filled to the brim with top-tier tracks whereas the 2nd CD epic covers the band's whole range in one monster of a piece. Yet somehow, it never seems to get mentioned as much as albums such as Images and Words...
2. Queensrÿche - Promised Land
Everyone says that Queensryche's descent began after Empire. Well I beg to differ. Unpopular opinion as it may be, Promised Land is, for me, the best album of Queensryche's career. However, it was overshadowed by the high success of the previous two albums and was thus destined to fail.
3. Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold
Why everyone dislikes this album is a shock to me. It is by far the band's highest point in creativity (look no further than A Little Piece Of Heaven) and truly showed the soul that A7X had long been hiding. Their previous albums tried too hard to be "cool" metal, whereas the ones that followed have become rather bland lacking the REV's creative influence.
4. Queen - Innuendo
And now we're hitting rock? Kinda... This album actually has some very noticeable metal influence in it (see the title-track if you want proof) and I feel this is why it got such a mediocre reception compared to the band's epic proportions. This is, by far, the band's grandest album. It was almost as if Freddie Mercury knew this would be his last performance...
5. System Of A Down - Steal This Album!
Often seen as a lower point in the band's not-so-long discography, this album is actually an undisputable high, combining the brilliant insanity of their self-titled first release combined with the more popular influences of Toxicity.
6. Tool - 10,000 Days
Possibly the only album of Tool's that has engaged me the whole way through. The Pot is by far the band's most entertaining single, drawing a brilliant contrast with the more solemn Wings For Marie/10,000 Days combination.
7. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata
Why is this seen as the weakest of their three releases? For me, this is the album that has perfected the DSO formula, bringing brilliant contrasts between each song, yet keeping each song incredibly entertaining at the same time.
8. In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape
Similar to Promised Land, this album was really seen as being a beginning point in a series of letdowns. The sound may have changed, that much is true, but the quality is still there. It's nothing too special, but still a pretty damn solid album.
9. Devin Townsend - Ghost
One thing that really bugs me is when people use the argument "it's boring" to bash on any album that doesn't have the adrenaline rush vibe going for it. This album is a brilliant ambient record that people shouldn't brush past simply because "it's not metal."
10. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
People saying Ihsahn has been getting progressively worse should really take another look at this release. It's true that he's been going down a slightly different path... however, similar to names like Scott Walker, this path is hardly a bad thing. I'd argue this is his most original and well-thought-out album to date, despite what the more avant-garde songwriting may suggest.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Lethrokai ]

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 52   Visited by: 227 users
31.10.2013 - 21:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 31.10.2013 at 21:35

Btw, you were right. Thanks to me (and you too ) this list is now flooded with comments.

You are mentioning me in paranthesis? Yo' dawg, I am the one who initiated this.
31.10.2013 - 21:57
Erik M.

Written by mz on 31.10.2013 at 21:22

deapite the fact that i agree with you about the watershed, i don' t think that generiuc is a fair word to describe their first albun as , to the best of my knowlede ,that album had been pretty unique back in time

Sorry, I totally missed this post somehow... anyway, like I said, Orchid really isn't generic. You can call it bad, boring or whatever, but not generic. If anyone calls this generic, then he or she can point out albums to me that had a similar style and were released before Orchid. I'll tell you, it's probably impossible.
31.10.2013 - 21:57
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
All Opeth albums are good in their own way. EOT
31.10.2013 - 21:59
Erik M.

Written by 3rdWorld on 31.10.2013 at 21:48

For both of you.

1.Watershed
2.Heritage
3.Orchid
4.Morningrise

The order in which I checked out their albums. And orchid was underwhelming and its not because of the production, it was not so engaging for me and I say it is bad to me from what my memory serves me.

Rank those 4? Okay, here it goes:
1. Morningrise
2. Orchid
3. Watershed
4. Heritage

But this is silly seeing as I have a full best to worst list of all Opeth albums.

Written by 3rdWorld on 31.10.2013 at 21:50

You are mentioning me in paranthesis? Yo' dawg, I am the one who initiated this.

True, but we both did it.
31.10.2013 - 22:03
Lethrokai

Well, going from the comment war here, I think the safest bet would just be to not put any Opeth album on any update to this list I might make.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
31.10.2013 - 22:09
Erik M.

Written by Lethrokai on 31.10.2013 at 22:03

Well, going from the comment war here, I think the safest bet would just be to not put any Opeth album on any update to this list I might make.

Well, I guess if it's Watershed or Orchid it's at least way better than having Ghost Reveries in this list, that much is certain. But yeah, maybe it's best to not put any Opeth in here, just to avoid people complaining about their inclusion.
02.11.2013 - 12:46
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I would have said "When Dream and Day Unite" from Dream Theater.
02.11.2013 - 15:52
Lethrokai

Written by Dark Cornatus on 02.11.2013 at 12:46

While I believe that album does deserve more attention, I find it to be one of the weakest in their discography. Compared to their later releases it sounds rather amateur in both execution and production. That's why it isn't here.
----
02.11.2013 - 15:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lethrokai on 02.11.2013 at 15:52

Written by Dark Cornatus on 02.11.2013 at 12:46

While I believe that album does deserve more attention, I find it to be one of the weakest in their discography. Compared to their later releases it sounds rather amateur in both execution and production. That's why it isn't here.

I have top agree with Dark Cornatus. Imo, When Dream And Day Unite is one of Dream Theater's stronger albums because it still has a rough edge to it which the overporduced slick later albums lack, plus the songs are way stronger than those on their later albums as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.11.2013 - 16:49
Uldreth

I agree with the Orchid comment, if there is one Opeth album that IS underrated, it is that one. Yeah the songs are a bit disjointed but that album actually has a lush and powerful atmosphere that none of their later stuffs (except Morningrise) possess. Also The Twilight Is My Robe is best Opeth song ever.

Also, Avenged Sevenfold self titled? Come on, that album was just weak. Waking The Fallen is where they are at it.

I'd add Aeolian by The Ocean Collective to the list, that album seems to be really off the radar when it comes to the band but I think it's excellent.
02.11.2013 - 22:37
Erik M.

Written by Uldreth on 02.11.2013 at 16:49

I agree with the Orchid comment, if there is one Opeth album that IS underrated, it is that one. Yeah the songs are a bit disjointed but that album actually has a lush and powerful atmosphere that none of their later stuffs (except Morningrise) possess. Also The Twilight Is My Robe is best Opeth song ever.

Finally someone agrees with me. So yeah, I agree with what you said. I also think of Morningrise as Orchid, but then even better. The style of those two albums is really pretty similar, but of course Morningrise is better since it's a more solid album, feels more complete and has a way better production etc.. However, I honestly can't say which Opeth song is my favourite. I even have trouble picking just one favourite song from any of their albums. That being said, The Twilight is My Robe is indeed a brilliant song, but so are a few others on that album.
03.11.2013 - 11:02
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Good list but I think you should give "Pandora's Piñata" some time to age well. Although I would say that based on my experience, it's not as criminally underrated as it seems on MS.

On a side note I do agree with the folks on Opeth as Orchid is criminally underrated compared to their other albums and no one really gives it much credit despite the wonderful atmosphere. But nonetheless, I'd give the list a +1.
03.11.2013 - 13:23
Uldreth

Written by Erik M. on 02.11.2013 at 22:37

Written by Uldreth on 02.11.2013 at 16:49

Finally someone agrees with me. So yeah, I agree with what you said. I also think of Morningrise as Orchid, but then even better. The style of those two albums is really pretty similar, but of course Morningrise is better since it's a more solid album, feels more complete and has a way better production etc.. However, I honestly can't say which Opeth song is my favourite. I even have trouble picking just one favourite song from any of their albums. That being said, The Twilight is My Robe is indeed a brilliant song, but so are a few others on that album.

Yeah, so is In Mist She Was Standing and Forest Of October .

I think what I also love about Opeth's first two albums is Johan DeFarfalla's bass playing. The bass on those two are quite unconventional and is an important part of the music. Then later on Akerfeldt decided that he wants conventional bass playing (seriously what kind of progressive mentality is this?!) and sacked DeFarfalla cause he disagreed. Probably the worst fucking decision he made with Opeth.
03.11.2013 - 16:50
Uldreth

Written by 3rdWorld on 30.10.2013 at 23:26

It doesn't remember it having the USP of Opeth which are the transitions from beautiful acoustic passages to death metal parts.

Actually I'd say they do MORE of that on Orchid. All "real" songs on the album have at least two acoustic passages that actually are an important part of the music.
Check The Twilight Is My Robe from 3:38 onward, that's a huge and stunning acoustic break right there.
03.11.2013 - 21:04
Erik M.

Written by Uldreth on 03.11.2013 at 16:50

Actually I'd say they do MORE of that on Orchid. All "real" songs on the album have at least two acoustic passages that actually are an important part of the music.
Check The Twilight Is My Robe from 3:38 onward, that's a huge and stunning acoustic break right there.

Well, he (3rdWorld) only listened once to the album. And with most albums, especially in case of a massive album like Orchid, it's not nearly enough to form a proper opinion on the music. One spin of Orchid probably would only give one an impression of the music but that person wouldn't be able to totally grasp the music unless he/she is very experienced when it comes to listening music, if that's even possible. For the record, not saying 3rdWorld can't have his opinion on the album. Of course he can. All I'm saying is that he might like the album more after multiple spins, so it might be unfair to judge the album after one spin (in my case that is true 99% of the time).
04.11.2013 - 14:28
1Yossarian1

Hahah I love "Steal This Album!", definitely my favourite SOAD album back in the day.
07.11.2013 - 17:51
DayFly

Despite the fact I hardly care for these bands other than the Rÿche, this list is a great idea, kudos. I'd throw in Metal Church's Hanging in the Balance.
07.11.2013 - 19:16
Lethrokai

Written by DayFly on 07.11.2013 at 17:51

Despite the fact I hardly care for these bands other than the Rÿche, this list is a great idea, kudos. I'd throw in Metal Church's Hanging in the Balance.

Thanks. I'm going to have to update this list at some point, I just don't know when. I haven't actually listened to Metal Church funnily enough, so I'll have to give this album a shot. Thanks for the contribution!
----
11.11.2013 - 14:45
HyperDrifter

Six Degrees is actually one of my favorite DT albums, glad you mentioned that one Dare I say it but I actually like it more than Scenes From A Memory which I happen to think it is over rated. Good yes but there are better DT records (Images & Words, Awake, A Change Of Seasons etc).
04.01.2014 - 14:52
Lethrokai

Small Update:
Got rid of the Opeth album (what the hell was I even thinking...)
Added: In Flames, Devin Townsend and Ihsahn.
----
28.02.2019 - 09:15
Quote:
It was almost as if Freddie Mercury knew this would be his last performance...

He knew..
31.10.2020 - 10:59
JoHn Doe

Oh yeah, Freddie knew it would be his last performance. Just watch the video of There Are the Days of Our Lives, you can see how frail he was. Also read on the story of the song Mother Love, it's I dare say heartbreaking (at least for me).

I find Dream theater's SDoIT overrated and it's become throughout the years one of my least favorite from them. I'm not saying it's a bad album, just that it's become unappealing to me, I rarely listen to it.

Underrated Dream Theater - I'd say their debut and Falling into Infinity.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 5558 | This month: 10