6. Gorguts - Colored Sands
7. Castevet - Obsian
Marvelous blend of genres coated with a perfect production
8. Wormlust - The Feral Wisdom
The SHIT.
9. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
Female-fronted violin-packed brilliant Sludge Metal
10. Hayajan - Ya Bay
Probably the best rock album to come out from the Arabic music scene, Alaa's vocals are beyond great!
11. Tribulation - The Formulas Of Death
Death/Black Metal
12. Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum
One of the gems of this year's brilliant Death Metal albums
13. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Progressive
14. Cloudkicker - Subsume
Progressive/Math/Post Metal
15. Leprous - Coal
Avantgarde Progressive Metal
16. An Autumn For Crippled Children - Try Not To Destroy Everything You Love
Warm Atmo BM
17. Eibon - II
Sludge Doom Metal
18. Funeralium - Deceived Idealism
They crush me everytime.
19. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
Portal-ish Death Metal
20. Deafheaven - Sunbather
Hipster Black Metal ... Ugh!
21. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
Addictive immortal-worship Black
22. Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
OSDM done great
23. Corrections House - Last City Zero
An all star band that did not disappoint
24. The Ruins Of Beverast - Blood Vaults (The Blazing Gospel Of Heinrich Kramer)
Atmospheric Black/Doom
25. Altar Of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury
Farewell BM
26. Mourning Beloveth - Formless
Death Doom
27. Jesu - Every Day I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Avantgarde Industrial Broadrick Metal
28. Officium Triste - Mors Viri
Melodic Death Doom
29. Monolithe - Monolithe IV
Monolithic Funeral Doom
30. Procession - To Reap Heavens Apart
Epic Doom
31. Progenie Terrestre Pura - U​.​M​.​A.
Progressive Black/Ambient
32. Lycus - Tempest
Funeral Doom
33. Universe217 - Never
Female fronted Trad Doom
34. Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber III
BaN Metal
35. Trouble - The Distortion Field
Heavy/Doom

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by InnerSelf ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 35   Visited by: 98 users
04.11.2013 - 12:29
JD
Account deleted
This year was a hard year for us, I have't listened to anything from the above exept Cult of Luna.

+1 for the duck pic.
04.11.2013 - 16:15
mz
I think you've missed ulcerate
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.11.2013 - 22:06
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by mz on 04.11.2013 at 16:15

I think you've missed ulcerate

No, I'm just taking my time with it will probably make it to the top 3.

Written by Guest on 04.11.2013 at 12:29

This year was a hard year for us, I have't listened to anything from the above exept Cult of Luna.
+1 for the duck pic.

Yes :\ and Yes
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.11.2013 - 22:17
mz
There is one weir thing about this list: it is titled "2013 Stuff" and thus, it is obvious that all of album here are from 2013. You might want to eliminate release year of albums here .
----
04.11.2013 - 23:12
Erik M.
Written by mz on 04.11.2013 at 22:17

There is one weir thing about this list: it is titled "2013 Stuff" and thus, it is obvious that all of album here are from 2013. You might want to eliminate release year of albums here .

Haha, now that you mention it. Indeed pretty unnecessary if you ask me.

And now that I'm here anyway, I'd like to suggest a few of my favourites (will only mention the band names, as it's of course unnecessary to also mention the album titles... and these are roughly in the order I prefer them... excluding some of the albums that are already in your list):
- Summoning (not sure this would be to your liking though, but it's my AotY)
- Chalice of Doom (while opinions are pretty divided on this one, this should be right up your alley... the fact that Marcel and I like it a lot would tell you enough, hahaha)
- Ayreon (yes, even though you probably won't like this I'm still mentioning this one)
- Inquisition (of course not as excellent as U.M.A., for example, but still a great album)

- Witherscape (one of my favourite progressive metal albums of this year)
- Wormlust (strange it isn't on here yet...)
- Anciients (same as Witherscape, as in one of the best progressive metal albums)
- Vallendusk (great melodic/atmospheric BM from Indonesia... need I say more?)
- Enshine (atmospheric gothic doom... simply beautiful album although could've been way better)

That's enough for now.
05.11.2013 - 15:35
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 04.11.2013 at 23:12

Written by mz on 04.11.2013 at 22:17

Haha, now that you mention it. Indeed pretty unnecessary if you ask me.

And now that I'm here anyway, I'd like to suggest a few of my favourites (will only mention the band names, as it's of course unnecessary to also mention the album titles... and these are roughly in the order I prefer them... excluding some of the albums that are already in your list):
- Summoning (not sure this would be to your liking though, but it's my AotY)
- Chalice of Doom (while opinions are pretty divided on this one, this should be right up your alley... the fact that Marcel and I like it a lot would tell you enough, hahaha)
- Ayreon (yes, even though you probably won't like this I'm still mentioning this one)
- Inquisition (of course not as excellent as U.M.A., for example, but still a great album)

- Witherscape (one of my favourite progressive metal albums of this year)
- Wormlust (strange it isn't on here yet...)
- Anciients (same as Witherscape, as in one of the best progressive metal albums)
- Vallendusk (great melodic/atmospheric BM from Indonesia... need I say more?)
- Enshine (atmospheric gothic doom... simply beautiful album although could've been way better)

That's enough for now.

Grow up guys

Erik, thanks a lot for the recommendations :
Summoning : Haven't really given any listen to them before, I don't think they are my thing but will be going through their back catalogue nonetheless.
Chalice of Doom : I've been playing it a lot and it's growing on me, great album but like Ulcerate I still haven't figured out where it fits in the list.
Ayreon : same case with Summoning.
Inquisition : Really eager to check the band's both latest album and the older stuff ... I think I'll love them
Wormlust : listened to it on Bandcamp and LOVED IT but because I'm a big lazy downloader I still haven't downloaded because I didn't find it on Rockbox (i prefer torrents)
Anciients : nice album but still haven't given it enough time.
Enshine : first listen was really impressive but it turned meh really fast.
----
is not bold enough
05.11.2013 - 16:24
mz
Written by InnerSelf on 05.11.2013 at 15:35

Grow up guys

No way
I hardly listened to 2013 albums this year but Carpe Noctem and portal also managed to release exceptional albums.
Btw, do you also use rutracker.org and en-metaltracker also? They are IMO as good as rockbox.
----
05.11.2013 - 16:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly

But I don't like it at all stop promoting this album this much
----
The Fangirl.
05.11.2013 - 19:22
Monolithic
♠♠♠

Chalice of Doom : I've been playing it a lot and it's growing on me, great album but like Ulcerate I still haven't figured out where it fits in the list.

Chalice of Doom would probably be among my top 20 albums but not higher than 10. I found it rather solid but there were better albums this year.

As for Wormlust, I'll PM you something.
05.11.2013 - 19:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Monolithic on 05.11.2013 at 19:22

Chalice of Doom would probably be among my top 20 albums but not higher than 10. I found it rather solid but there were better albums this year.

Even though I do enjoy the Chalice Of Doom album it won't even be among the top 30 releases of this year for me and probably also not in the top 40.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2013 - 13:14
mz
Written by Monolithic on 05.11.2013 at 19:22

PM me please also. I am having problem with finding that album.
----
07.11.2013 - 15:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Finally, a list from you! Some randoms...

- its been nearly 11 months since CoL put out their album, I've probably forgotten how great it is
- the Abyssal & PTP releases are huge surprises for me. Soooo not what I am used to
- Altar Of Plagues is too low Listen to it 3 more times and let me know if you like it more

I know this list can be BIGGER, get after it
----
rekt
07.11.2013 - 18:38
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.11.2013 at 15:46

Finally, a list from you! Some randoms...

- its been nearly 11 months since CoL put out their album, I've probably forgotten how great it is
- the Abyssal & PTP releases are huge surprises for me. Soooo not what I am used to
- Altar Of Plagues is too low Listen to it 3 more times and let me know if you like it more

I know this list can be BIGGER, get after it

I was having a sludge day today and listened to SubRosa, Kylesa and CoL and those albums are MASSIVE, 9+ easily for each one of them and gave the new Eibon another listen and it's still pretty awesome.
PTP, I don't listen to that much but every once and a while when I give it a listen it's rewarding, same case with Abyssal.
Altar of Plagues is really really good but I keep forgetting about! might end up higher.
Any Sludgy suggestions ?
----
is not bold enough
07.11.2013 - 18:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I really don't understand Lychgate on number one here it's a decent album, don't get me wrong. But certainly not top 10 or even top 20 worthy.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.11.2013 - 18:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.11.2013 at 18:41

I really don't understand Lychgate on number one here it's a decent album, don't get me wrong. But certainly not top 10 or even top 20 worthy.

I have a thing for Greg Chandler, but I still don't have the nerve to tell him so I try to put albums he's part of on top of my lists and maybe he'll pass by and catch up on it
Seriously though, the album blew my mind and I don't think I ever listened to anything quite like it before (it might have to do with the unusually clean production courtesy of Mr.Chandler) but I don't think it will stay atop the list for the remaining of the year ... will remain in the top ten though.
----
is not bold enough
07.11.2013 - 22:08
Erik M.
Quote:

Grow up guys

Erik, thanks a lot for the recommendations :
Summoning : Haven't really given any listen to them before, I don't think they are my thing but will be going through their back catalogue nonetheless.
Ayreon : same case with Summoning.
Inquisition : Really eager to check the band's both latest album and the older stuff ... I think I'll love them
Wormlust : listened to it on Bandcamp and LOVED IT but because I'm a big lazy downloader I still haven't downloaded because I didn't find it on Rockbox (i prefer torrents)
Anciients : nice album but still haven't given it enough time.
Enshine : first listen was really impressive but it turned meh really fast.

Grow up? Anyway, I expected Summoning and Ayreon aren't really your cup of tea. Still have only listened to the new Ayreon 3 times so haven't formed a proper opinion on it. Old Mornings Dawn however, I have listened to probably 25+ times already and still love it (it's their best for me). Chalice of Doom's new album might be the 2nd most-played album as I might've listened to that one nearly 20 times or so I guess. For some reason it's really addictive even though not all songs are equally great (Dyers of Dusk and Death Gown are my favourites easily). Inquisition's new album isn't as great as their debut I think, but it comes close and have given that one a 9 although I feel it could drop to an 8 after many spins.

When it comes to listening to music on the internet I actually always prefer to stream it rather than download it. In fact, I never download anything, which might seem unbelievable to people but it's the truth. Anyway, I have the same thing with Anciients. I have only listened to it once and it really impressed me but it definitely deserves more spins as usually progressive metal doesn't interest me a whole lot. I somewhat agree about Enshine, as the album was really excellent at first but I also quickly began to like it less after more spins. Haven't listened to it in 3 months or so, but I still think it's a very good album, as in 7,5-8 material. Lastly, not sure if the new Falkenbach would be your thing but you might want to check it out as well.
07.11.2013 - 22:11
Erik M.
Written by angel. on 05.11.2013 at 16:36

But I don't like it at all stop promoting this album this much

Hahaha. I'm listening to it right now and still enjoy it a lot. Easily my favourite doom album of 2013, along with Mors Viri of course.
07.11.2013 - 22:15
Erik M.
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.11.2013 at 19:37

Even though I do enjoy the Chalice Of Doom album it won't even be among the top 30 releases of this year for me and probably also not in the top 40.

Easily top 10 material for me, but then again, I haven't listened to nearly as many albums as Marcel.
08.11.2013 - 06:59
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
I like quite a few of these ones, nice list. I know you like your doom so Age Of Taurus might be worth a listen for something heavy and traditional.
08.11.2013 - 11:39
angel.
Evil Butterfly
The photo
----
The Fangirl.
08.11.2013 - 12:25
mz
Written by Erik M. on 07.11.2013 at 22:08

When it comes to listening to music on the internet I actually always prefer to stream it rather than download it. In fact, I never download anything...

I am the exact opposite of this. It's easier to download an album completely that listening to it on youtube, bandcamp etc. Online streams get interrupted most of the time and this kills the flow of music.
----
08.11.2013 - 17:20
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by R'Vannith on 08.11.2013 at 06:59

I like quite a few of these ones, nice list. I know you like your doom so Age Of Taurus might be worth a listen for something heavy and traditional.

i've seen it on quite a few lists so I'll surely be checking it soon.

Written by angel. on 08.11.2013 at 11:39

The photo

Ducks are underrated

Written by Erik M. on 07.11.2013 at 22:08

When it comes to listening to music on the internet I actually always prefer to stream it rather than download it. In fact, I never download anything, which might seem unbelievable to people but it's the truth.

I think I'll still be downloading albums even if I bought them, most of my listening is done on my mp3 player so i can't live without digital files.
----
is not bold enough
09.11.2013 - 00:00
Erik M.
Written by mz on 08.11.2013 at 12:25

I am the exact opposite of this. It's easier to download an album completely that listening to it on youtube, bandcamp etc. Online streams get interrupted most of the time and this kills the flow of music.

I only like having my bought CD's on my computer (I always rip them), so no messy downloaded albums. My OCD won't allow that. Online streaming works fine most of the time here, so I don't really have problems with it.
09.11.2013 - 00:04
Erik M.
Written by InnerSelf on 08.11.2013 at 17:20

I think I'll still be downloading albums even if I bought them, most of my listening is done on my mp3 player so i can't live without digital files.

But you can rip the albums so they're on your computer. From there on you can transfer them to your phone/mp3 player. I always do it like that, although I only use my phone and not an mp3 player.

Btw, "Monolithic Funeral Doom"? I never heard of that genre-tag, or is it a joke because of the MS user whose name is Monolithic?
09.11.2013 - 08:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
Not a genre obviously, and not related to Monolithic either just a stupid thing that I did with the description field.
----
is not bold enough
13.11.2013 - 07:56
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by InnerSelf on 09.11.2013 at 08:03

Not a genre obviously, and not related to Monolithic either just a stupid thing that I did with the description field.

Except for the fact that I named my MS account after Monolithe one way or another.
19.11.2013 - 17:17
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.11.2013 at 15:46

You were right, it's really sad that this is their final output ... would've been really interesting to hear how they'd further develop this sound.

Marvelous album, addicted to the riffs.
----
is not bold enough
20.11.2013 - 00:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Ahhhh this sound never gets old...you will agree

http://www.gubemusic.com/album_75254
----
rekt
21.11.2013 - 20:12
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.11.2013 at 00:53

Ahhhh this sound never gets old...you will agree

http://www.gubemusic.com/album_75254

Searching for a proper download link
----
is not bold enough
25.12.2013 - 16:46
Chobo_jokeR
Another solid list man!

After looking over your list again, you reminded me I forgot to put Subrosa on mine. I normally don't care for female vocals, but wow?that was an impressive album.

After seeing Inquisition on numerous lists I'm going to have to finally listen to that album. I also want to spin Altar of Plagues more, as I have never gone all the way through the album. Monolithe is another one I've been missing out on.

Hits total: 4586 | This month: 12