Metal Storm logo
Scar Symmetry

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 10:36
I could not find an existing topic for this fantastic melodic death metal band, so I decided to post my own. Scar Symmetry are easily my favourite melodic death metal band of all time, and that is saying something considering that they have only been active for about two years. Still, in these two years they have managed to put out two fantastic melodeath masterpieces that rank up there with the very best in the genre, and it is rumoured that these guys are going to be very big now that they have managed to nail a contract with Nuclear Blast.

So what is it that makes Scar Symmetry such a great band? First of all it is the excellent musicianship. From the fantastic, speedy and no-nonsense guitar solos to the extremely tastefully used keyboard material, the music is right out there. Everyone in this band knows exactly what he is doing and together, they make some of the best and most memorable songs that I have ever heard. Scar Symmetry certainly aren't familiar with the term 'filler'.

Another particularly brilliant part of Scar Symmetry's music is the vocals, all done by singer Christian Älvestam. His voice is incredibly diverse, capable of doing good clean vocals as well as death grunts and even the occasional scream. What is even more brilliant is that he can alternate between these styles extremely quickly.

Their two albums, Symmetric In Design (2005) and Pitch Black Progress (2006) are two great feats of melodeath music and both have gotten rave reviews and album of the month notations all around the world. Symmetric In Design is easily the heaviest of the two albums, more closely related to death metal than the sophomore album, but Pitch Black Progress has some pretty heavy tracks as well. Overall, the second album is much more melodic and the clean vocals are executed better than ever. Many fans will not care for the amount of clean vocals on this album, but there is enough deathsy goodness for them to enjoy as well.

My favourite tracks from both albums? Chaosweaver, Dominion, Reborn, The Illusionist, Mind Machine, The Kaleidoscopic God. Trust me though when I say that not one song from either of these albums will really disappoint. They're all good in their own right!

Check out a sample of Reborn here: Click
05.03.2007 - 01:09
..HumanError..
Account deleted
I know itll take time, i even told Promonex about it, but, i dont really care . But ... hmmm Mudvayne ... i dont know if it deserves to be on MS more than Scar Simmetry .
05.03.2007 - 01:32
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Guest on 05.03.2007 at 01:09

I know itll take time, i even told Promonex about it, but, i dont really care . But ... hmmm Mudvayne ... i dont know if it deserves to be on MS more than Scar Symmetry .

Of course it does ! It has more time, albuns and fans
But ok this is a thread to Scar Symmetry so I guess they really deserve they spot here.. they both deserve it k?
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
05.03.2007 - 02:08
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Hmmm... i dunno, ive never reaaaaaally liked Mudvayne (euphemism) ; thats why . But if you say they do, then.......... they do . And ..thank you for the kiss, i loved it .
05.03.2007 - 06:20
BehindSpace336
Scar Symmetry is a great band. Yes, they have a similar sound to Soilwork, but it's not impossible to like both bands and not let the similarity get in the way. Good music is good music. Take is as it is.
08.03.2007 - 09:18
Cameron
Scar Symmetry is a sic band that should definetly be represented here. I love the mix between his clean vox and the death growling. "Calculate the Apocalypse" is all I have to say on that matter.
and by the way, Mudvayne is not like anything you will find anywhere else (especially the older material) many traditional metal and genre-raping individuals will say otherwise, but I think they deserve the credit as a technical/progressive/industrial band that revolutionized an american metal artform.
Sorry, i've been meaning to say that for a while.
12.06.2007 - 17:24
777venom777
Account deleted
a super swedish band.thier style is unique.first i listened the illisionist and loved it.especially vocals are amazing.
14.06.2007 - 11:29
MissRagnarok
Amazing band! Just bought both albums =)

Ow and, the reason why their profile isn't active yet should be because there doesn't seem to be a complete biography to be found anywhere.. I sent something I did find to the admins yesterday.. No idea if it'll be good enough.
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
16.06.2007 - 12:27
MissRagnarok
Written by MissRagnarok on 14.06.2007 at 11:29

Ow and, the reason why their profile isn't active yet should be because there doesn't seem to be a complete biography to be found anywhere.. I sent something I did find to the admins yesterday.. No idea if it'll be good enough.

It got accepted
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
25.06.2007 - 15:08
Abattoir
staff
Great band, no doubt. I think the mixing of growling and clean vocals was a great idea and it fit in also in their music...
So, i would recomend this band to all melodic death fans ... stay true
04.04.2008 - 03:29
Colony
Account deleted
I would also recommend this band to all MDM fans. An amazing band and their latest album is just amazing. Cannot wait for their new album
10.04.2008 - 13:34
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Awesome band Scar Symmetry. Listening to PBP right now I, like many others here, though in the begining when I listened to them that they sounded a lot like Soilwork, but the more you get in to Scar Symmetry the more you realise that they actually have their own sound. Don't think they sound like Soilwork at all now, maybe some parts. Also to those who thinks they haven't evolved, not many bands evolve that much in their two first records. So we can always hope they have with "Holographic Universe" ^^
10.04.2008 - 17:24
GhostofPerdition
Account deleted
Scar Symmetry is indeed a great band. I love them. Great melodeath. I think my favorite record must be Pitch Black Progress, though. Favorite song being "Pitch black Progress." It just really stands out to me the most over everything they've done. I simply love the message the lyrics are giving, as well. It's probably the first song I heard by Scar Symmetry. It's either that or "The Illusionaist." I don't remember, it was a while back, but either way, they are both great songs, as well as every other song by them.
10.04.2008 - 17:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
A horrible band which has NOTHING to do with melodic death metal whatsoever. Only reason this band is currently quite big is beeeecause they are being pushed like mad by their record company (nuclear blast) Now Scar Symmetry is some of the most talentless drivel I have come across in years. My God, the average metalcore band has more talent then this fashion statement. Only good thing about them is their hot bass player.
Oh, and live they are even worse than on cd.

Really I can't state a single good thing about them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2008 - 18:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2008 at 17:46

A horrible band which has NOTHING to do with melodic death metal whatsoever. Only reason this band is currently quite big is beeeecause they are being pushed like mad by their record company (nuclear blast) Now Scar Symmetry is some of the most talentless drivel I have come across in years. My God, the average metalcore band has more talent then this fashion statement. Only good thing about them is their hot bass player.

I kinda digged The Illusionist and played it for a friend who now loves them and I fucking vomit everytime he playes them! Surely not my cup of tea, at least not in the long run.

(Just read my first post in this topic, I'm now ashamed!)
----
10.04.2008 - 18:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Warman on 10.04.2008 at 18:05

I kinda digged The Illusionist and played it for a friend who now loves them and I fucking vomit everytime he playes them! Surely not my cup of tea, at least not in the long run.

(Just read my first post in this topic, I'm now ashamed!)

I really dig that song as well. The first time I heard it I fell in love with it. Yes I agree with Marcel, their not that talented over all, but they do have some great rhythms. On "The Illusionist" they have a sick 5/4 section. I have to say that I do enjoy their songs. I enjoy it in much the same way I enjoy Metalcore and modern Thrash; just fun, hard driving short songs. Some times I really am not in the mood for Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater or Opeth and need just some simple ass kicking tunes to play Halo to.
----
(space for rent)
12.04.2008 - 18:53
Colony
Account deleted
What the HELL is all this? I LOVE Scar Symmetry...........like Reconciler said, it takes time before you realize they are not Soilwork and in fact have their own sound. I don't see how anyone can say they have no talent. Did you listen to "Dreaming 24/7"? That song alone has some amazing guitar and some lovely voxx. Really, to say that any metalcore band is better then this band is like saying Disturbed is the most metal band out there. It's false and you damn well know it
13.04.2008 - 01:55
Melodeath Master
Written by Guest on 12.04.2008 at 18:53

What the HELL is all this? I LOVE Scar Symmetry...........like Reconciler said, it takes time before you realize they are not Soilwork and in fact have their own sound. I don't see how anyone can say they have no talent. Did you listen to "Dreaming 24/7"? That song alone has some amazing guitar and some lovely voxx. Really, to say that any metalcore band is better then this band is like saying Disturbed is the most metal band out there. It's false and you damn well know it

Hehe, yeah But I think the dude comparing to metalcore was talking about Sonic Syndicate, as he mentioned a hot bass player, and he is a guy And I don't see any girls in Scar Symmetry And also Scar Symmetry isn't that pushed by Nuclear Blast as he said, but Sonic Syndicate is. All he said was about Sonic Syndicate, and not Scar Symmetry, he must've mixed them together somehow xD

I think you're talking about Sonic Syndicate. Reacted to the "hot bass player" part. Scar Symmetry is only guys, and really plays Melodic Death Metal, and are not that pushed by Nuclear Blast. Sonic Syndicate has Karin Axelsson as bass player, who is really hot.
05.06.2008 - 22:25
Amrott
i'm liking the new album

much more clean vox though!! still good!!!

need to listen more.
07.06.2008 - 16:33
Melodeath Master
Written by Amrott on 05.06.2008 at 22:25

i'm liking the new album

need to listen more.

Yeah, Holographic Universe is awesome! Though a bit to much clean vox, but Christian has a great voice so I'm not really complaining And the growl is much better now as well. Really great work done by Scar Symmetry once more.
07.06.2008 - 17:03
b0000mst1ck
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 07.06.2008 at 16:33

i'm liking the new album

need to listen more.

Yeah, Holographic Universe is awesome! Though a bit to much clean vox, but Christian has a great voice so I'm not really complaining And the growl is much better now as well. Really great work done by Scar Symmetry once more.

yeah, his voice sounds so much better on this record than it did on pitch black progress. i think his range has improved as well. although i don't think he sings clean too much considering the over-abundance on the last record (dreaming 24/7 for example). at least, i like it.
08.06.2008 - 14:02
Amrott
Written by b0000mst1ck on 07.06.2008 at 17:03

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 07.06.2008 at 16:33

i'm liking the new album

need to listen more.

yeah, his voice sounds so much better on this record than it did on pitch black progress. i think his range has improved as well. although i don't think he sings clean too much considering the over-abundance on the last record (dreaming 24/7 for example). at least, i like it.

also on this new album i noticed they added an abundance of neo-classical licks throughout the album!! which i really like probably an influence effect from touring with Into Eternity!
07.10.2008 - 20:41
Melodeath Master
Written by Norm on 07.10.2008 at 06:56

Update: Scar Symmetry has actually recruited 2 new vocalists. Crazy, but maybe it'll work? Anyone hopeful for new material?

I've heard them on YouTube, the growler don't have as great growls as Christian, and the same with the clean vocalist, not as great voice as Christian. No hopes for the future But it's kinda funny that they needed two replacements for Christian Christian = 2 vocalists ^^
11.10.2008 - 09:02
Wes
Scar symmetry is very underrated, and definately my favorite melodic death metal band. Holographic Universe is just amazing, and so are the other albums! The first time I heard SS I think I dismissed them as metal core, but after listening another time I was blown away. Amazing band, I cant wait to see what's in store for them
12.10.2008 - 01:30
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well fuck scar symmetry.....MISERATION!! Dannnng! After I heard christian left scar symmetry im like "ahhh bollocks..now what?" Then the next day my friend's like "uuhh yeah have you heard christian's new band Miseration?" Scar Symmetry x 10 in every aspect especially heaviness. To my mind the best new melodic death band in ages and their album is the best of the year for the genre.
12.10.2008 - 15:25
Magero
Account deleted
^I'll be sure to check them out, they sound awesome
Always liked Christian, really keen to hear how the new guys sound with future (or even older) material.
16.11.2008 - 05:34
Metalbound7
Melodic Death Metal Rules! , i love the combination of Clean and Gutural voices, specially when they don't sound Metalcore, this band is like the mix of Opeth with Tool, they sound awesome.
18.01.2009 - 16:35
Aqualunae
I think scar symmetry is a great band..its very nice to be brutal and clean vocals at the same time..i like this band and this band likes me too XD
----
It's some kind of psychedelic experience..
Our body is light,we are immortal...
Our body is love,we are eternal..
Eternal...
31.01.2009 - 21:54
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
But yeah coming back to my earlier post has anyone heard Miseration? Christian's new band.....its like Scar Symmetry but seriously heavy but still melodic. Very very cool!
31.01.2009 - 22:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
I've heard Miseration. They're not bad, I think with having Christian in a band, every band would be so cool, 'cause he has a fantastic voice.

And Scar Symmetry is a quite new band for me. I'm listening to them ~two months, again - thanks to MS charts, heh. Can't imagine how it will be with Scar Symmetry's two vocals now, I mean, they're not as great as Christian, IMO. But then we'll see.
31.01.2009 - 22:22
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 31.01.2009 at 22:12

I've heard Miseration. They're not bad, I think with having Christian in a band, every band would be so cool, 'cause he has a fantastic voice.

And Scar Symmetry is a quite new band for me. I'm listening to them ~two months, again - thanks to MS charts, heh. Can't imagine how it will be with Scar Symmetry's two vocals now, I mean, they're not as great as Christian, IMO. But then we'll see.

Yeah from what I saw on a studio vid, they actually have two new vocalists now. One singing clean the other one doing all the growl stuff and it sounds really good!