Metal Storm logo
Scar Symmetry

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 10:36
I could not find an existing topic for this fantastic melodic death metal band, so I decided to post my own. Scar Symmetry are easily my favourite melodic death metal band of all time, and that is saying something considering that they have only been active for about two years. Still, in these two years they have managed to put out two fantastic melodeath masterpieces that rank up there with the very best in the genre, and it is rumoured that these guys are going to be very big now that they have managed to nail a contract with Nuclear Blast.

So what is it that makes Scar Symmetry such a great band? First of all it is the excellent musicianship. From the fantastic, speedy and no-nonsense guitar solos to the extremely tastefully used keyboard material, the music is right out there. Everyone in this band knows exactly what he is doing and together, they make some of the best and most memorable songs that I have ever heard. Scar Symmetry certainly aren't familiar with the term 'filler'.

Another particularly brilliant part of Scar Symmetry's music is the vocals, all done by singer Christian Älvestam. His voice is incredibly diverse, capable of doing good clean vocals as well as death grunts and even the occasional scream. What is even more brilliant is that he can alternate between these styles extremely quickly.

Their two albums, Symmetric In Design (2005) and Pitch Black Progress (2006) are two great feats of melodeath music and both have gotten rave reviews and album of the month notations all around the world. Symmetric In Design is easily the heaviest of the two albums, more closely related to death metal than the sophomore album, but Pitch Black Progress has some pretty heavy tracks as well. Overall, the second album is much more melodic and the clean vocals are executed better than ever. Many fans will not care for the amount of clean vocals on this album, but there is enough deathsy goodness for them to enjoy as well.

My favourite tracks from both albums? Chaosweaver, Dominion, Reborn, The Illusionist, Mind Machine, The Kaleidoscopic God. Trust me though when I say that not one song from either of these albums will really disappoint. They're all good in their own right!

Check out a sample of Reborn here: Click
31.01.2009 - 22:45
Ragana
Rawrcat
But they both are not Christian. -_-
03.02.2009 - 14:40
Hellbound666
Account deleted
I've heard last uear and i love them right away. Those lyrics and melody it's wonderfull. I can't wait to see it live
03.02.2009 - 16:11
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ragana on 31.01.2009 at 22:45

But they both are not Christian. -_-

Prob not But Id advise you to give it a listen..pretty sweet
03.02.2009 - 16:45
Ragana
Rawrcat
I've already seen few videos in YouTube with both of them; surely, just because of this sudden change of vocalists I won't forget about Scar Symmetry's existence.
05.02.2009 - 19:26
ForeverDarkWoods

Maybe they haven't clicked with me or something, but I think they're one of the most generic Gothenburg plastic death metal bands there are out there. But then again, I only like a few of the Gothenburg melodeath bands to begin with, and just about nothing recent from the Gothenburg scene is worth caring about to me, so maybe this just isn't for me.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
06.02.2009 - 23:34
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 19:26

Maybe they haven't clicked with me or something, but I think they're one of the most generic Gothenburg plastic death metal bands there are out there. But then again, I only like a few of the Gothenburg melodeath bands to begin with, and just about nothing recent from the Gothenburg scene is worth caring about to me, so maybe this just isn't for me.

Like any band, you either get it or you don't. I personally am sick of the whole Gothenburg/Melodeath/Metalcore deal, but these guys managed to really impress me.
----
(space for rent)
09.02.2009 - 12:40
Dest

I was really impressed with the Pitch Black Progress album. I got it on this promo cd and I love the vocals and the overall music. Mainly the vocals impressed me a lot.

I too have heard way too many Melodeath bands, but for these guys, I can make an exception.:)
09.02.2009 - 13:10
Abattoir

Well for me is the first debut release, Symmetric In Design, for now the best sounding album from them. While the last one, Holographic Universe, haven't got my attention so good till now....
11.02.2009 - 13:27
Dest

Written by Abattoir on 09.02.2009 at 13:10

Well for me is the first debut release, Symmetric In Design, for now the best sounding album from them. While the last one, Holographic Universe, haven't got my attention so good till now....

Funny, I just got this CD yesterday. I still have to listen to it, but I wonder how they sound on it
11.02.2009 - 14:32
Abattoir

Written by Guest on 11.02.2009 at 00:36

Scar Symmetry is one of the most awesome M.Death bands of all time,unfortunately Christian has left,but let's hope the 2 new vocalists will make a good job in the future!!!

Hm, I'm pretty curious how will this work out...with two vocalists I mean. I would love to see the concert with two vocalists on the stage and the combination of them.
03.04.2009 - 02:55
Crazy Booduh

I think Scar Symmetry has gotten better with every release, but that's probably because of my preference of Christian's clean vocals which has become more prominent with each CD. I'm actually not a fan of melodeath/Gothenburg at all really, but I think Scar Symmetry is incredible.

I'm also looking forward to the debut CD of Solution.45, Christian's new band.
03.04.2009 - 12:29
Black_Sheep

I liked the first album. The second wasn't that good. The new one is ok, but i haven't listened to it properly yet.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
03.04.2009 - 18:34
Crazy Booduh

Written by Black_Sheep on 03.04.2009 at 12:29

I liked the first album. The second wasn't that good. The new one is ok, but i haven't listened to it properly yet.

That's surprising to me, I thought Pitch Black Progress was everything the first album was, just better. To even call their second album "not that good" is hard to swallow, but to each his own. What exactly didn't you like about it compared to their first album?

My personal favorite album of theirs is Holographic Universe but it's kind of more in a progressive direction than their previous releases, so I can understand if "metal purists" are turned off by it. It did take me a few listens to really get into that album but now it's probably in my top 10 CDs.
03.04.2009 - 19:29
Black_Sheep

I don't really remember anymore. I just didn't like it. Sounded like they were trying too much. Holographic Universe is indeed very good one, i like the prog elements a lot.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
21.08.2009 - 01:42
MetalSpider

The new song is decent...nothing special imo. I definitely think Christian is a better all around vocalist...although these 2 new vocalists are pretty good. I'll definitely have to listen to the new album.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.08.2009 - 23:29
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2009 at 03:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsOelqaqzE new song leaked on youtube!

Epic!! Thanks dude, will listen IMMEDIATELY and give my opinion....not like anyone cares but i will anyway haha
22.08.2009 - 00:25
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Sooo....pretty awesome song actually! Guitar sound is a bit muddy and seems to be more down-tuned than usual, but the vocals are good. Better than I expected, not close to Christian, but I guess thats why we can look forward to MISERATION!! Chorus is ridiculously epic and as always motherless and awesome solos!

Pretty keen on hearing more tho! So far so good!
23.08.2009 - 00:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Guest on 22.08.2009 at 00:25
Better than I expected, not close to Christian, but I guess thats why we can look forward to MISERATION!!
I'm more looking forward to solution.45
----
loves 小巫
11.09.2009 - 07:06
Uller

Scar symmetry its a good band, they sound good, but i cant stand their clean vocals
----
11.09.2009 - 12:37
severed torso

I only got to know scar symmetry recently and they actually sound pretty good! I heard the Holographic Universe album and only recently got the Pitch Black Progress from a mate and they're a way cool band. They sound like a cleaner version of Soilwork in the Holographic Universe album.
11.09.2009 - 14:12
GamlaSonn

Written by Uller on 11.09.2009 at 07:06

Scar symmetry its a good band, they sound good, but i cant stand their clean vocals

agreed, the clean vox are gay
13.09.2009 - 16:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by GamlaSonn on 11.09.2009 at 14:12

How can clean vocals be gay?? If it is sung well and not in an emo/whiney way the way Anders from In Flames does it then it adds a shitload of quality to an album! This seriously pisses me off from people on the forum...always complaining about clean vocals being shit. Christian Alvestam is prob the most versatile vocalist in the melodic death scene today and frankly I think having a versatile voice makes a vocalist /band BETTER. Unless you like music that offers no variety whatosever.....if clean vocals are sung well it creates a fantastic contrast with growls and that is something that made/makes Scar Symmetry so good. I think they would have sounded weaker if they only had growls.
13.09.2009 - 18:32
GamlaSonn

Written by Guest on 13.09.2009 at 16:38

Written by GamlaSonn on 11.09.2009 at 14:12

How can clean vocals be gay?? If it is sung well and not in an emo/whiney way the way Anders from In Flames does it then it adds a shitload of quality to an album! This seriously pisses me off from people on the forum...always complaining about clean vocals being shit. Christian Alvestam is prob the most versatile vocalist in the melodic death scene today and frankly I think having a versatile voice makes a vocalist /band BETTER. Unless you like music that offers no variety whatosever.....if clean vocals are sung well it creates a fantastic contrast with growls and that is something that made/makes Scar Symmetry so good. I think they would have sounded weaker if they only had growls.

I don't complain about clean vocals in general, but the vocals sounds like backstreet boys or somethin, i just can't help being annoyed
22.09.2009 - 03:15
Uller

Same here, I like clean vocals like the ones in Persefone, Noumea, In Mournin. But not the ones in Scary Symmetry, Norther, Insomnium, In Flames. And I like Norther and Insomnium a lot, dont take it personal, its just a coment
----
25.09.2009 - 18:47
MetalSpider

New album has leaked in low quality (128 kbps). I'll post my thoughts once I hear it.
----

25.09.2009 - 23:30
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Absolutely MOTHERLESS and epic album, listened to it on Myspace and its seriously seriously good. Technically supreme, their most technically great album yet and well used and incorporated. Extremely satisfied with both vocalists and Im not going to throw the "oh its good but its not Christian" comment because seriously, lets get over it. This is a new album, hes out of the picture and based on the quality of the growls and singing its top notch. Ridiculous solos, songwriting is engaging and possessive and makes you want to pump your fist for every second of every minute.

Absolute must-have album....and Scar Symmetry to its core.
26.09.2009 - 01:30
MetalSpider

Like Nile's new album, the more I listen to Dark Matter Dimensions the more I like it.

The music is just pure awesome! Like Valaskjalf said...this is Scar Symmetry to its core. They were deadly with Christian and are just as deadly without him. The new vocalists are great! While I prefer Christian's clean vocals (personal preference I guess), Lars does one hell of a job! Robert's growls are powerful! Vocalists aside...the music is some of their best! As of right now, Im finding that there are really no weak songs. These guys are crazy musicians thats for sure! Their level of technicality is way up there.

Its funny...when I first heard The Consciousness Eaters, and then Noumenon and Phenomenon and Non-Human Era....I wasnt that impressed. The more I listened to them, the more I enjoyed them. And now that Ive heard the whole album....Im really impressed overall.

Is it better than Holographic Universe? I still need a few more listens but its definitely up there.
----

26.09.2009 - 13:30
Crème fraiche

I honestly have never heard any Scar Symmetry before DMD, and I'm seriously in love. Guitar work is fucking awesome and the vocals are killer (it did take a couple listens to get into the clean parts though).

SS is one of those bands I wish i got into earlier ;(
29.09.2009 - 04:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Crème fraiche on 26.09.2009 at 13:30

I honestly have never heard any Scar Symmetry before DMD, and I'm seriously in love. Guitar work is fucking awesome and the vocals are killer (it did take a couple listens to get into the clean parts though).

SS is one of those bands I wish i got into earlier ;(

lol yeah i know what you mean, something similar happened to me with Thyrane....I heard "Travesty of Heavenly Essence" and i was totally blown away and then I realised they disbanded like 2 years before I got the album! At least SS hasnt disbanded so no big loss hehe

I must say Ive been listening to the new album a lot the last few days and I still think its very good - I just dont think it QUITE has the knock-out punch of the former albums. Not sure what it is but I dont yet have any songs that stick in my head or that I hum all day long and piss people off like I did with the former albums. Might need some time, took me a while to fall in love with "Holographic Universe" as well.
10.10.2009 - 21:20
Westvann

DMD is an freaking good album with no bad songs... i liked all of them:) the sad is the Christian fanboys out there thats not even hear at the music like they did when christian was in the band and automatecily hate it... if they want christian, start to listen to solution. 45... they are pretty good...