11. Radioactive [Imagine Dragons cover] [iTunes bonus]
12. Summertime Sadness [Lana del Ray cover] [iTunes bonus]
13. Let Her Go [Passenger cover] [iTunes bonus]
14. Dirty Dancer [Enrique Iglesias cover] [iTunes bonus]
15. And We Run [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
16. Silver Moonlight [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
17. Covered By Roses [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
18. Tell Me Why [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
+ Paradise (What About Us?) [feat. Tarja Turunen] [video] [iTunes premium bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Daniel Gibson and Robert Westerholt.

Staff review by
R Lewis
Rating:
Welcome the New Year with class - welcome the New Year with Within Temptation.

They tested a path of 80's rock and pop influences in 2011, but The Unforgiving brought them conflicting responses. 2014 signals a return to the heavier and more symphonic style we had the pleasure to listen to some years ago, but the soul of the last record hasn't been totally trashed, since the new album Hydra blends tradition and experimentation.

Read more ››
published 09.01.2014 | Comments (40)

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
Most people have heard of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Seems like Within Temptation are familiar with it too, as they've mostly stuck to their guns with the winning formula of 80's pop-influenced symphonic rock over soaring female vocals as per their previous album The Unforgiving, while trying to push the envelope a bit by featuring high profile performers in their latest album Hydra.

Read more ››
published 12.04.2014 | Comments (11)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 71   Visited by: 920 users
31.03.2014 - 23:05
Rating: 7
The Hammer33

I would not say I am disappointed by this album, but it did not last too long in my car (where I most get to listen to music). I have moved on from it pretty quickly. I liked Sharon's vocals a lot in the track with Xzibit - the sound of his vocals was actually good but the lyrics for his part could be better.
26.04.2014 - 12:05
Rating: 2
hidden_ninja

Sellouts... This is so far from what i love about Within Temptation that's it's ridiculous.
05.05.2014 - 02:11
Rating: 7
raveneffect

Quite a surprise, wasn't expecting this to be this good.
05.05.2014 - 16:14
Rating: 6
Xyanade

Totally surprised, but not in a good way, they moved too far in the direction of pop from last one.
20.05.2014 - 23:10
Lol Xzibit, yo dowg. LOLOLOLOL
25.06.2014 - 17:13
Thor arise

The album is just not that good as the previous, so commercial. A few nice parts here and there, but definetely not worth buying at all. Not even the lyrics are good, Dog Days is a good example to that. SELLOUT!!
01.10.2014 - 23:50
Darrek

Good album, Just bought it. My WT first, know the band for more that 15 years, but since everything is free now, why bother paying money to strange companies instead of directly to the musicians? Good art of the CD. These are all melodic hymns, somehow sound to that old ABBA with symphonic metal influences. Nice chick music for some close minded metal heads. Let us Burn, And We Run, Edge of the World, seem to stand out for me now. If this is a sellout for anyone, then is a worth one to look or listen, for at least a couple of times. Like it better than the previous one, obviously. Xzibit strangely is no bother to hear in that just one track. Thought I was gonna hate it, but well, they pulled the thing.
05.02.2015 - 10:26
Reaper_Redeemer

98% pop and 2% something similar to metal's patterns.

Though if we don't speak about symphonic metal, Summertime madness was a nice cover XD
08.10.2016 - 02:04
Ruchesko

I remember tearing up the first time I heard What About Us. However, on reflection, the rest of the album was actually kinda crap.
17.04.2023 - 22:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Xzibit's song is actually quite enjoyable fusion, I like it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.03.2024 - 21:09
Rating: 5
JoHn Doe

Not a good album, for me their worst effort.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 19965 | This month: 35