Metal Storm logo
The most common first letter in a band name

Poll

In your collection, which of the following is the most common?

S
M
A
D
T
Other Letters (state below)
I
B
E

Total votes: 132
08.01.2007 - 10:15
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
This might seem like a stupid topic, and with all respect it may well be nothing important, but im quite curious. Id just like to see what are the most common Band letters. This is only for Metal bands btw, so dont count other genres. With bands with words like The, or A, in front, they still count as the first letters.

The letters in the list are in order from my collection, im using it as a basis, i have 30 'D' bands and 12 'I' bands. i KNOW this is not accurate and will provide no fact, but it can determine the more popular letters, i understand for some they might not be in the list.
08.01.2007 - 11:00
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Lol random topic man, if it helps, I have shit loads of A's.
08.01.2007 - 11:40
Eternal Flames
Haha, indeed it is a very random topic. But I don't blame you. I also every now and then have odd curiosities. Anyway, from my own experience/my own collection, I've found that there are most A's and S's. But also, there are still quite a lot of M's and D's. Eh, I'll vote for S though.
08.01.2007 - 13:02
matthioso
The 'S' seems to be very popular with my cd's too
----
www.seedofrock.be
08.01.2007 - 13:35
gutsnglitter
Account deleted
'S' seems to be the most popular in my collection. I'm not quite sure why. =] Very random
08.01.2007 - 13:45
GT
Coffee!!
staff
'I' is most 'popular' in my collection...mostly because of my Iron Maiden CDs
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.01.2007 - 15:38
Stalker
Lone wanderer
A could be an answer... I said once, that if Im gonna have my band one day, thers no way it nema would start with 'A'... Beacause theres so many bands with A, especially in my area.
----
08.01.2007 - 16:08
wrathchild
staff
Not counting every Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater, Angra, etc. album I have, I'd say my collection holds more bands starting with an A: Angra, Anacrhonia, After Forever, Adagio, Andralls, Anthemon, Apocalyptica, Ark...
Then, it's probably S (Stratovarius, Stravaganzza, Symphony X, Superior, Saratoga, SpiRitual...) and M (Metallica, Megadeth, Manigance, Machina, Yngwie Malmsteen?, Pascal Mulot? etc.)

The most used ending letter is definitely A. Concerning those bands starting with an A, I wonder if they thought that could bring them to the first pages of an index... That was once true but now that so many bands have an name starting with an A, better choose one starting with a Z
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
08.01.2007 - 16:39
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
A: 54

if you look in the dictionary, S appears to have the most words though
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.01.2007 - 16:53
Damnated
Churchburner
A: 95
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.01.2007 - 17:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@damnated: LOL!! you leech just kidding ^^'
ontopic: does 14 dark centuries count as x or d?
either way i have 9 bands with "s", so s wins.
08.01.2007 - 17:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
Can't believe I'm actually answering this question.
D is the most common letter in my CD collection, Deep Purple, Dio, Death, Dark Tranquillity, Deathstars, Dimmu Borgir etc.
----
09.01.2007 - 00:18
Daru Jericho
For me I always thought it was either 'A' or 'M' but I've never actually done a proficient actual count.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.01.2007 - 01:12
Dan066
Account deleted
Mostly 'S' and 'M' according to my iTunes collection...
09.01.2007 - 01:14
Bitch Boy
I think it's letter "S"... Samael, Sentenced, Sepultura, Slayer, Sirenia, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Sonata Arctica, Silent Stream of Godless Elegy, Stream of Passion, Star One, Shadowplay, Star Queen, Sanguis et Cinis, Sopor Aeternus, Suicide Commando, etc.... but if I count albums/songs, maybe letter A, or maybe it's S too.
09.01.2007 - 01:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
haha wow you have WAY too much free time man! It seems like "A" is the most common letter for me, though.
09.01.2007 - 09:25
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
I know its a useless random thread, but curiosity overwhelms me

Written by wrathchild on 08.01.2007 at 16:08

...The most used ending letter is definitely A. Concerning those bands starting with an A, I wonder if they thought that could bring them to the first pages of an index... That was once true but now that so many bands have an name starting with an A, better choose one starting with a Z

This is exactly what i was thinking, well yeh, now they are all fucked, Z is the better option

Written by -tom- on 08.01.2007 at 16:39

A: 54

if you look in the dictionary, S appears to have the most words though

Good point man, i didnt think of it this way. Its funny though, because the bands using A first (as an example), are usually made up words or from a different language or Myth.
09.01.2007 - 18:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmmm in my colection there are almoust bands from each letter and there are not some special letters, I just dont care about letters but important are music same about my STUFF colection(some songs and mp3 what i dounloud from hp) but i had full lenght album colection in CD/PC and countries just if I get soem mp3 I put in country list and same time if I listen this track offen its goes to STUFF list just simp0le for me and wierd for you
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.01.2007 - 23:47
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Also, the 'S' wins: Saosin, Satyrian, Satyricon, Sepultura, Siouxsie & The Banshess, Sirenia, Sisters of mercy, Slayer, Sodom, Soulfy, Soundgarden, Static-X, Summoning, Swallow The Sun, System of A Down. Th then comes close second, probably due to the ''The'' : Tankard, The Automatic, The Gathering, The Killers, The Strokes, The Used, The White Stripes, Theatre of Tragedy, Theatres Des Vampires, Therion, Trail of Tears, Tristania. P is the third
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
10.01.2007 - 02:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
M:
Manowar
Marduk
Masters Hammer
Mayhem
Megadeth
Metalica
Meshuggah
Moonsorrow
Motley Crue
Motorhead
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.01.2007 - 09:43
Hyvaarin
S for me - Sacred Steel, Sahg, Satyricon, Savage Circus, Saxon, Sceptic, Scorpions, etc.

Also, I'd say that E,S and W have the best average band quality.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
10.01.2007 - 10:37
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...according to my collection, i've got alot of: a, m, p and t
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
10.01.2007 - 10:52
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Wow its a pretty convincing lead here, maybe at 50 votes it will be a little clearer for the next few after S.
10.01.2007 - 22:29
MetalSpider
I have quite a lot of D, S and M.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
11.01.2007 - 02:50
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Umm.....I don't know, I can't decide, Maby I will vote later.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.01.2007 - 13:19
Syk
myspace/bonerama
My Start menu is overflowing with Ds and Ss - I have A-Z folders in My Music folder

*edit* Oh, and M... and A and B seem to round out the top 5.

I always think it's strange how few I have that start with R, I mean it's a very common letter in general...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
11.01.2007 - 17:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A's, M's, and D's here
11.01.2007 - 18:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
That'll be 'M' for me.

Mayhem, Mysticum, Manegarm, Mournful Woods are a few that pop up immediatly. However, in my download list there aren't that much 'M's. Seems like I buy albums from bands starting with an 'M' earlier than others.

(Since I throw away all my mp3's when I bought an album.)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.01.2007 - 19:12
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
for me, A and S.

A: All that Remains, Alice in Chains, Akercocke, Alice Cooper, As I lay Dying, Atreyu, etc.
S: Sepultra, Seether, Slipknot, Spineshank, Soil, etc.

-not that I like all these bands, It's just to say how much there are and I don't feel like typing them all down.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
11.01.2007 - 22:44
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
my collection is full of D and S