05. Blackwater Horizon
06. Core Resiliency
07. Chemical Dawn
08. End(Durance) Part III
09. Full Moon Inferno [bonus]

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Cronian is where two Borknagar big names, Andreas "Vintersorg" Hedlund and Øystein Garnes Brun, like to put their heads together and push their creative boundaries.

Read more ››
published 20.11.2013 | Comments (0)

Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 67   Visited by: 156 users
20.11.2013 - 11:46
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Overall, this feels forced and uninspired
20.11.2013 - 11:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 11:46

Overally, this feels forced and uninspired

Yet is a good record according to your score
20.11.2013 - 11:58
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 11:50

Yet is a good record according to your score

Neither forced nor uninspired imply the album isn't
20.11.2013 - 12:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 11:58

Neither forced nor uninspired imply the album isn't

According to what rules of language? If something is, overall, forced and uninspired + shakey head face and with no further comments then it could never be construed as a "good" record. That is common sense and understanding of the English language in its most basic form.
20.11.2013 - 12:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 12:01

According to what rules of language? If something is, overall, forced and uninspired + shakey head face and with no further comments then it could never be construed as a "good" record. That is common sense in its most basic form.

According to you.

This is neither average nor mediocre and there is clear musicianship in the composition. In addition, the album is consistent. These are things that I can appreciate and compel me to rate this a 7 rather than a 6. I rate albums on various levels.
20.11.2013 - 12:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 12:09

According to you.

This is neither average nor mediocre and there is clear musicianship in the composition. In addition, the album is consistent. These are things that I can appreciate and compel me to rate this a 7 rather than a 6. I rate albums on various levels.

But you didn't say that. You said it was "forced and uninspired" and then went on to suggest that such comments do not imply that this record is less than good. That is a basic misunderstanding of English. That was my point. If you'd said something like this to begin with I wouldn't have taken issue. However, the fact your original comment was entirely negative still leads me to believe that you are a confused person when it comes to scoring
20.11.2013 - 12:20
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 12:13

But you didn't say that. You said it was "forced and uninspired" and then went on to suggest that such comments do not imply that this record is less than good. That is a basic misunderstanding of English. That was my point. If you'd said something like this to begin with I wouldn't have taken issue. However, the fact your original comment was entirely negative still leads me to believe that you are a confused person when it comes to scoring

Not a misunderstanding, an assumption on your part Also, you might want to note the word overall in my original post. Perhaps you might consider that I might have a broader range of appreciation for musical elements.
20.11.2013 - 12:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 12:20

Not a misunderstanding, an assumption on your part Also, you might want to note the word overall in my original post. Perhaps you might consider that I might have a broader range of appreciation for musical elements.

For your next trick you're going to try to convince everyone that under normal conditions black is actually white, and 2 + 2 = 5 as apparently two negative comments, with no positive connotations whatsoever equals a positive score.
20.11.2013 - 12:29
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 12:23

For your next trick you're going to try to convince everyone that under normal conditions black is actually white, and 2 + 2 = 5 as apparently two negative comments, with no positive connotations whatsoever equals a positive score.

It's a simple notion really. I used the word overall; generally that implies that there is more to what is being said. Thus, taking my comment at face value without the word "overall" would be misconstruing my point. This must be some form of logical fallacy, I'll let you know if I find it.
20.11.2013 - 12:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 12:29

It's a simple notion really. I used the word overall; generally that implies that there is more to what is being said. Thus, taking my comment at face value without the word "overall" would be misconstruing my point. This must be some form of logical fallacy, I'll let you know if I find it.

overall
adjective
ˈəʊvərɔːl/
taking everything into account.

Taking everything into account this record is forced and uninspired. I give it a score of 7; a more or less universally understood symbol of "good."

There are some fallacies in logic going on here, but it's not coming from me.
20.11.2013 - 12:40
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 12:34

overall: taking everything into account.

Taking everything into account this record is forced and uninspired. I give it a score of 7; a more or less universally understood symbol of "good."

There are some fallacies in logic going on here, but it's not coming from me.

I'm finding this increasingly difficult to explain. You should go have a look at some of the synonyms for overall; I don't think you're understanding the word. What my original comment implied was that my most prominent impression of the album was forced and uninspired. I see no conflict with an album being good - for various reasons - in addition to forced and uninspired.

I have work to do; I'll return to this discussion later.
20.11.2013 - 12:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 12:40

I'm finding this increasingly difficult to explain. You should go have a look at some of the synonyms for overall; I don't think you're understanding the word. What my original comment implied was that my most prominent impression of the album was forced and uninspired. I see no conflict with an album being good - for various reasons - in addition to forced and uninspired.

I have work to do; I'll return to this discussion later.

There's really nothing to discuss. Any implication in your original statement is so minute as to be rendered null and void when qualified by an entirely negative body of explanation. If you thought this record had positive traits then you should have stated so, because no one in their right mind would have been able to guess so from the word "overall" which no matter how much argumentum ad nauseam you commit yourself to means overall, largely, mostly, on the whole, generally, predominantly etc. The rating is generally considered a reflection of the record's overall quality. Therefore your comment reflects the score. Or rather it should as yours clearly doesn't.
20.11.2013 - 13:38
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 12:54

There's really nothing to discuss. Any implication in your original statement is so minute as to be rendered null and void when qualified by an entirely negative body of explanation. If you thought this record had positive traits then you should have stated so, because no one in their right mind would have been able to guess so from the word "overall" which no matter how much argumentum ad nauseam you commit yourself to means overall, largely, mostly, on the whole, generally, predominantly etc. The rating is generally considered a reflection of the record's overall quality. Therefore your comment reflects the score. Or rather it should as yours clearly doesn't.

Do not attempt to render my argument invalid on the basis of your lack of understanding and subsequent frustration. My post was not entirely negative, although it would have been had I left out the first word.

What you have failed to acknowledge is the fact that the descriptors - forced and uninspired - are insufficient notions to base an album rating and were simply posted to clarify my initial impression. Any individual familiar with the rating process understands that there are numerous variables in play. I don't recall there being any principle impelling users to post their entire opinion to justify related ratings Relent this incessant tirade of assumptions; this is rather off-topic.

*waiting for retaliation*
20.11.2013 - 13:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 13:38

Do not attempt to render my argument invalid on the basis of your lack of understanding and subsequent frustration. My post was not entirely negative, although it would have been had I left out the first word.

What you have failed to acknowledge is the fact that the descriptors - forced and uninspired - are insufficient notions to base an album rating and were simply posted to clarify my initial impression. Any individual familiar with the rating process understands that there are numerous variables in play. I don't recall there being any principle impelling users to post their entire opinion to justify related ratings You need to relent this incessant tirade of assumptions; this is rather off-topic.

*waiting for retaliation*

Dismissing my points because of my "frustration?" Now there's a logical fallacy if ever I've seen one I'm not frustrated. In fact I'm enjoying drawing out your dysfunctional traits I can only go on what you gave me, which was very little, practically nothing. Basing your entire argument on the so-called ambiguity of the word "overall" is about as weak as it gets really. While there are indeed no official rules regarding posts and ratings, I think it's fair to say coupling the two together is far more reasoned and logical than expecting a person to psychically understand when someone is placing higher emphasis on minor, lesser, even component characteristics above an overall impression of an album. Forgive me, but I fervently believe that a score is a representation of the overall quality of said record, not an indication of those less, hitherto invisible characteristics you base scores on. I don't think my thinking this is a logical fallacy in any way as you suggested it might be. For this reason, my original point remains true: calling something in an overall capacity "forced" and "uninspired" does not imply that the record is worth a 7.
20.11.2013 - 14:10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 13:54

Dismissing my points because of my "frustration?" Now there's a logical fallacy if ever I've seen one I'm not frustrated. In fact I'm enjoying drawing out your dysfunctional traits

Quote:

argumentum ad nauseam

Self-explanatory.
Quote:

I can only go on what you gave me, which was very little, practically nothing. Basing your entire argument on the so-called ambiguity of the word "overall" is about as weak as it gets really. While there are indeed no official rules regarding posts and ratings, I think it's fair to say coupling the two together is far more reasoned and logical than expecting a person to psychically understand when someone is placing higher emphasis on minor, lesser, even component characteristics above an overall impression of an album. Forgive me, but I fervently believe that a score is a representation of the overall quality of said record, not an indication of those less, hitherto invisible characteristics you base scores on. I don't think my thinking this is a logical fallacy in any way as you suggested it might be. For this reason, my original point remains true: calling something in an overall capacity "forced" and "uninspired" does not imply that the record is worth a 7.

You basis for attributing weak to my argument is weak Of course ratings and posts should be reflective, yet the latter need not explain in detail the complete rationale behind a score. The key here is not to make assumptions and I never asked you to make any of your own When I rate an album there are myriad of variables I take into account, including those ineffable. Hence, it would be convoluted to explain my ratings in every related post. Indeed, forced and uninspired do not imply a record is worth a 7 nor any other rating for that matter; It only implies that I believe the to be imperfect.
20.11.2013 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Overall, Gallhammer last album is crap, listless, incompetently played, possesses terrible vocals, terrible song structures. Yet I did hear a perfectly played note on the last song, so I will rate it a 9.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2013 - 14:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 14:10

You basis for attributing weak to my argument is weak Of course ratings and posts should be reflective, yet the latter need not explain in detail the complete rationale behind a score. The key here is not to make assumptions and I never asked you to make any of your own When I rate an album there are myriad of variables I take into account, including those ineffable. Hence, it would be convoluted to explain my ratings in every related post. Indeed, forced and uninspired do not imply a record is worth a 7 nor any other rating for that matter; It only implies that I believe the to be imperfect.

So what this ultimately points to is that your post was lazy, non-reflective and throwaway. I guess it is my fault then for assuming your posts were worth more than that haha.
20.11.2013 - 14:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2013 at 14:14

Overall, Gallhammer last album is crap, listless, incompetently played, possesses terrible vocals, terrible song structures. Yet I did hear a perfectly played note on the last song, so I will rate it a 9.

Makes perfect sense to me I won't make any assumptions about your post, or anything for that matter. Because human intuition should be banned and cold hard fact all that is left!
20.11.2013 - 14:19
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 14:14

So what this ultimately points to is that your post was lazy, non-reflective and throwaway. I guess it is my fault then for assuming your posts were worth more than that haha.

That's not what I implied at all; as I stated a number of times, it was my initial impression. That's all to be said on the matter.
20.11.2013 - 14:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2013 at 14:14

The difference here is that some of the adjectives you used can be directly linked to the quality of music. Crap fits somewhere between a 2 ("pure shit") and a 3 ("very bad")
20.11.2013 - 14:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
You used forced and uninspired as adjectives which can also be directly linked to the quality of music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2013 - 14:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 14:21

The difference here is that some of the adjectives you used can be directly linked to the quality of music. Crap fits somewhere between a 2 ("pure shit") and a 3 ("very bad")

You're making assumptions. His initial impression is that the album is crap overall, but that the last note is so well played that it elevates the album to a 9. Calling the record "crap" does not imply the record is worth a 9 nor any other rating for that matter; It only implies that he believes it to be imperfect.
20.11.2013 - 14:26
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2013 at 14:25

You used forced and uninspired as adjectives which can also be directly linked to the quality of music.

To a certain degree. A 9 or a 10 would be inappropriate.
20.11.2013 - 14:27
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 14:26

You're making assumptions. His initial impression is that the album is crap overall, but that the last note is so well played that it elevates the album to a 9. Calling the record "crap" does not imply the record is worth a 9 nor any other rating for that matter; It only implies that he believes it to be imperfect.

Seeing as he used an adjective that directly correlates with very low ratings, I can conclusively state that such a rating would be misguided
20.11.2013 - 14:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 14:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2013 at 14:25

as would a 7. Since the album is forced and uninspired for the most part. So a 5 would be more appropriate.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.11.2013 - 14:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 14:26

Forced and uninspired are direct allusions to quality in this context. There are no positive connotations to those adjectives. Therefore handing out a 7 to an album summarised as "forced and uninspired " is inappropriate. I can state this conclusively that it would be misguided to do so.
20.11.2013 - 14:34
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.11.2013 at 14:29

as would a 7. Since the album is forced and uninspired for the most part. So a 5 would be more appropriate.

Uninspired music can have ratings up to 8 if the music is well written. Originality is not a requisite for a good rating Forced (in this scenario - both members being part of an established band with quality muic) implies that although decent, the melodies could have been refined for the band's potential. They could have done better, but that album was good.
20.11.2013 - 14:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 14:29

Forced and uninspired are direct allusions to quality in this context. There are no positive connotations to those adjectives. Therefore handing out a 7 to an album summarised as "forced and uninspired " is inappropriate. I can state this conclusively that it would be misguided to do so.

You can read my reply to Marcel. Neither forced nor uninspired refer to average quality material
20.11.2013 - 14:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 20.11.2013 at 14:34

Uninspired music can have ratings up to 8 if the music is well written. Originality is not a requisite for a good rating Forced (in this scenario - both members being part of an established band with quality muic) implies that although decent, the melodies could have been refined for the band's potential. They could have done better, but that album was good.

Says who? I don't see any written rules saying this is the case. Your point remains unproven.
20.11.2013 - 14:37
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Guest on 20.11.2013 at 14:35

Says who? I don't see any written rules saying this is the case. Your point remains unproven.

Music is subjective. Think on that

Hits total: 5509 | This month: 6