02. The Woods Are On Fire
03. Never Complete
04. Try Not To Destroy Everything You Love
05. Hearts Of Light
06. Sepia Mountains For Her Lament
07. Closer
08. Avoiding Winter
09. Starlit Spirits

I don't know if you guys have been paying attention, but in case you haven't noticed around here, An Autumn For Crippled Children is becoming quite the household name. They aren't exactly the most renowned band on the planet, but they are certainly making strides.

It helps that the music doesn't suck. Man that would... suck.

As is typical of the "blackgaze" movement, Try Not to Destroy Everything You Love is an album filled with atmosphere. Its dreamy shoegaze passages dominate the mix, seamlessly steering each song into the next, blending an entire collection of stories together to make up one beautiful mosaic of sorts.

While these Dutchmen have aimed to create some of the most melancholic sounds known to the genre, this release also manages to exude an uplifting vibe. The melodies are not drastically different than those found on their debut, yet they instill a more noticeable warmth in the listener, as if welcoming them to partake in the emotional journey.

The traditional fuzzy production encompasses the songs with a sweltering blanket, wrapping up every nuance from head to toe. This soothing texture makes for a relaxing, almost energizing listen. It may lean towards the more depressive side of things at face value, but there is an inviting quality to the music that slowly draws you in with a hint of optimism - starting from the delicate cover art. Muffled, just like everything else, are the tormented shrieks of a passionate black metal vocalist, which take on their own welcoming role due to the oven-like production.

This album is designed for those who primarily enjoy their extreme metal not so extreme, or more specifically, those who appreciate non-abrasive, atmospheric forms of black metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 22.11.2013 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 46   Visited by: 329 users
24.11.2013 - 11:08
Rating: 9
Masonics
Very Keen to hear this, Been listening to Cold body radiation lately but AAFCC had that harsher Blackgaze vibe I loved with their previous records.
24.11.2013 - 13:41
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I've heard this a couple of times, and I think that it sounds pretty the same as the other records, only more positive. The vocals are a little more audible this time? I got that impression, which is pretty cool. Maybe I should give it one more shot or two, dig the first albums!
24.11.2013 - 19:21
no one
Account deleted
Written by Masonics on 24.11.2013 at 11:08

Very Keen to hear this, Been listening to Cold body radiation lately but AAFCC had that harsher Blackgaze vibe I loved with their previous records.

is Cold body radiation a side project or something ?
25.11.2013 - 10:57
Rating: 9
Masonics
Written by Guest on 24.11.2013 at 19:21

Written by Masonics on 24.11.2013 at 11:08

is Cold body radiation a side project or something ?

Wouldnt suprise me tbh, both are Dutch, the vocalist is called "M" from CBR, and have the same raspy vocals.
26.11.2013 - 19:11
Shmyt
It's not my usual style but after only 2 spins I'm really starting to like it, haven't checked out any of their earlier albums, are they worth the money or should i look at other bands for similar sounding albums?
26.11.2013 - 19:14
Rating: 7
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Shmyt on 26.11.2013 at 19:11
...are they worth the money or should i look at other bands for similar sounding albums?

Personally I think these guys are better than the horde of shoegaze/black metal bands, but you might wanna consider looking into Deafheaven or Lantlôs.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.11.2013 - 19:38
no one
Account deleted
I'm sure there would be more similar bands than "Deafheaven"
26.11.2013 - 20:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 26.11.2013 at 19:38

There are, but I'm not in the mood to provide an encyclopedic list of similar bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2013 - 05:46
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.11.2013 at 20:22

Written by Guest on 26.11.2013 at 19:38

There are, but I'm not in the mood to provide an encyclopedic list of similar bands.

ya don't have to provide an encyclopedic list, just a band that actually sounds similar might help him out more...i'm sure he'll sort it though
27.11.2013 - 07:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 27.11.2013 at 05:46
a band that actually sounds similar might help him out more

Which other bands would you recommend?
----
27.11.2013 - 07:15
no one
Account deleted
Cheerful depression or coldworld maybe
27.11.2013 - 07:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 27.11.2013 at 07:15
Cheerful depression or coldworld maybe

I think we're hearing different things. AAFCC sound to me a lot less raw and abrasive than Cheerful Depression, and they don't incorporate the same kind of classical elements as ColdWorld - not to mention the difference in atmosphere. I think of these guys as being more on the ethereal and accessible side of depressive black metal.
----
27.11.2013 - 07:48
no one
Account deleted
i knew you would pick the shit out of any band i mention, i suppose i was asking for it though.

Your right on that last sentence, but i still don't think they sound like Deafheaven.
27.11.2013 - 07:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 27.11.2013 at 07:48
:lol: i knew you would pick the shit out of any band i mention, i suppose i was asking for it though.
Your right on that last sentence, but i still don't think they sound like Deafheaven.

I'm glad I lived up to my reputation.

And I do actually agree that Deafheaven isn't the most similar sounding band. I only mentioned them because they also play a more accessible form of depressive/shoegaze black metal. Wistful and Heretoir (even though I dislike both) also come to mind but in all honesty there aren't any bands I can think of that sound extremely similar to AAFCC.
----
27.11.2013 - 08:05
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 07:52

Written by Guest on 27.11.2013 at 07:48
:lol: i knew you would pick the shit out of any band i mention, i suppose i was asking for it though.

I'm glad I lived up to my reputation.

And I do actually agree that Deafheaven isn't the most similar sounding band. I only mentioned them because they also play a more accessible form of depressive/shoegaze black metal. Wistful and Heretoir (even though I dislike both) also come to mind but in all honesty there aren't any bands I can think of that sound extremely similar to AAFCC.

Yeah they are pretty unique. I just looked on 'metal archives' for recommended similar artists and both your rec 'Lantlos' and myn 'coldworld' both came up...whatever that means
27.11.2013 - 15:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 27.11.2013 at 08:05
whatever that means

It means by our powers combined we are just as dumb as the rest of the users at Metal-Archives.
----

Hits total: 8279 | This month: 15