Metal Storm logo
Tuomas Holopainen - Shares First Solo Album Details

Nightwish mastermind Tuomas Holopainen has been working hard on his solo album. The Finnish keyboardist has spent most of the year 2013 writing and producing the solo album. The whole album will be based on a graphic novel called The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck, written and illustrated by Don Rosa. The author of the book, Don Rosa, has also done the artwork for the album called The Life And Times Of Scrooge, which is scheduled for a release in April of 2014 via Nuclear Blast Records.

Tuomas Holopainen comments: "This is my longtime dream come true, 14 years in the making. And a homage to one of the best storytellers of our time. Thank you for sharing this celebration of Life & Adventure!"

The album was written and produced by Tuomas Holopainen and will contain 10 songs, with total duration of approximately 60 minutes. The music will be of soundtrack/classical/folk genre in the vein of Vaughan Williams, Michael Nyman, James Newton Howard and Enya. Mr. Pip Williams has done the orchestral arrangements, continuing his collaboration with Tuomas after the Nightwish records Once, Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum.

There will be a number of guest musicians, including the London Orchestra, The Metro Voices (a choir from London) and four lead vocalists: Alan Reid, Johanna Kurkela, Johanna Iivanainen and Tony Kakko. Other guest appearances include Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, bodhran), Mikko Iivanainen (guitars and banjo), Teho Majamäki (Didgeridoo), Jon Burr (Harmonica) and Dermot Crehan in the solo violin.

The recordings took place during August-October 2013, first at Angel Studios, London, then in various locations around Scotland and Finland. There will also be a single release, for the track "A Lifetime Of Adventure", and a music video to go with it in early 2014.

The 12-chapter book tells the life story of a certain Scrooge, from his early years in the 19th century Scotland to his adventures all around the world until the 1950s. The moment Tuomas read it nearly 20 years ago, it instantly became a story of profound personal interest and love for him. The initial spark of 'coloring' this story with music, i.e. create a kind of "soundtrack" for the book, came to him already in 1999. Soon you will be able to hear the result.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 28.11.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 305 users
28.11.2013 - 17:01
Mad Arab666

I'm a little interested to say the least.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
28.11.2013 - 17:13
FeskarN

This will be intressting Hope it will sound diffrent compared the nightwish sound
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
28.11.2013 - 17:16
Zadion

A concept album about Scrooge McDuck? Tuomas is likely the only metal musician quirky enough to do that. This should be very interesting.
28.11.2013 - 19:50
chronic-headache

O_O
just when I thought I've everything in the world of metal, this comes up.
28.11.2013 - 19:58
Windrider
Raureif
Don Rosa is the best, awesome.
28.11.2013 - 20:17
Shaytaan666

Is this Metal
28.11.2013 - 20:42
Radivoy

Well... Holopainen is a metal keyobard player, but "The music will be of soundtrack/classical/folk". Sounds interesting, but I don't like the artwork.
----
Sorry for the bad English writing :P
28.11.2013 - 21:24
KainRich

Really interested in this, seems like a nice breath of fresh air coming from the Nightwish camp. Not to sure about the source material, but the details make it sound exciting.
28.11.2013 - 23:38
Akula

Duck metal?, WTF?????
29.11.2013 - 00:04
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Disappointed it's not about Darkwing Duck
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
29.11.2013 - 08:00
Stabby
Account deleted
This is so Tuomas, what a guy .
29.11.2013 - 08:07
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
SKROOGE DUCK IST KRIEG
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.11.2013 - 10:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Why?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
29.11.2013 - 17:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 29.11.2013 at 10:11
Why?

I'm guessing because it's a 14-year-long dream of his and he also wanted to pay homage to one of his favorite authors.

And for the money, probably.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2013 - 20:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.11.2013 at 17:28

Nah, if it were for the money he would just hurry up and do another Nightwish album. I think the reasons that drove him to do this thing are purely artistic, I bet this won't be of much interest to most of his fanbase.
29.11.2013 - 22:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
This is something I'm definitely going to check out. It's quite impressive that he actually got Don Rosa to do the artwork.

Now I'm looking forward to an album based on The Universal Solvent. Glorp.
30.11.2013 - 02:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.11.2013 at 17:28

Written by M C Vice on 29.11.2013 at 10:11
Why?

I'm guessing because it's a 14-year-long dream of his and he also wanted to pay homage to one of his favorite authors.

I mean why does someone who writes all the lyrics and 90% of the music for a band need a solo thing? Surely as the writer of the songs, Nightwish can sound like whatever he wants it to sound like.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.11.2013 - 04:29
kingeryck

WAT? ::checks date:: nope, not April Fools Day.
30.11.2013 - 07:17
mikeprado30

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 29.11.2013 at 00:04

Disappointed it's not about Darkwing Duck

In my case, I hope there will be a song about Gizmoduck
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
05.12.2013 - 17:40
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm not surprised at all. I mean, he clearly has a thing for Disney, fairytales and soundtrack/classical music. Very curious about this and I'll look forward to it.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
06.12.2013 - 00:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Duck Tales meets metal? awesome!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.12.2013 - 11:42
Creativinity

Written by Ellrohir on 06.12.2013 at 00:24

Duck Tales meets metal? awesome!

Dude, amazingballs that would be. Could just imagine the kewl Duck Tales theme music metalized. Thanks for that sensation.
07.12.2013 - 12:25
NortheRnmost

Interesting, to say the least. I understand Tuomas 100%. Inspirational themes, lyrics and text can be found everywhere, you just need to keep an open mind and let it all in, then someday it may hit you and there you go: you have an idea.

Hits total: 4233 | This month: 9