Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - Defend Controversial T-Shirt, Accused Of Racism

American metallers Mastodon are currently embroiled in a controversy regarding an allegedly racist t-shirt that coincided with the Thanksgiving holiday. The t-shirt depicts a white male pilgrim pointing a gun at a female Native American and is pictured below. Some deemed it racist. The band defended the artwork explaining that they aren't racist and simply pointed out the atrocities linked to Thanksgiving.

The band has released a press statement defending their release of the shirt: "Regarding our Thanksgiving shirt, whether you choose to believe or not, the American Indians were massacred by the white settlers who became the Americans we are today. This shirt represents this atrocity and celebrating in the face of this atrocity is chilling.

We may have a sick sense of humor, but we are far from being 'Racist' as some of you who might not get it are calling us."

Source: pitchfork.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 30.11.2013 by LeChron James

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 430 users
01.12.2013 - 04:08
(o> . )

Written by Bad English on 30.11.2013 at 14:16

It is little ofending (riffle part) but indans and whites lived in peace in old days , till white get gready and also why noboy talks bout white men skalping, only how indians was butchered, atecas how many innocnt enemies and own they sacrified to to gods ?
why racism must be oly from white, non talks about how white farmers are butchere din some arican states, black racismn, latinos racsm to whites? why white man must be blame for all?
I am 100% aganst racism, I see this offending , but i wont make panic, remaids m Muhhamed and his 1th animal story

But no one has created a tradition out from it. Only we white did. That's a huge difference.
01.12.2013 - 04:41
LICH

This isnt really racist, its just mildly offending to some people. but i dont care, and unlike some im just going to keep supporting the band and move on
01.12.2013 - 05:41
chronic-headache

If anything it should be offensive to us whiteys. It does point out the hypocrisy and phoniness that is Thanksgiving.
no racism at all...God forbid there be an Native American on a shirt with a White Person.
God forbid we know true history instead of the fairy tale we were told in 1st grade.
01.12.2013 - 23:00
sbgmetal

I think its funny
05.12.2013 - 23:57
crucifiedjesus

I personally think its funny but i mean cmon in this day and age they had to know that was gonna piss off someone
06.12.2013 - 09:36
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by crucifiedjesus on 05.12.2013 at 23:57

I personally think its funny but i mean cmon in this day and age they had to know that was gonna piss off someone

Fuck that shit! Some asshole is always going to be a dick and be offended by the most stupid thing. Taking offense is subjective, you can't keep everyone happy.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
06.12.2013 - 19:22
Traezeus

Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 11:16

Butt-hurt Americans don't want people to know what they did.

I was about to say.. how is this being labeled racist? I understand that the shirt is depicting a native american being held at gunpoint.. but when this country was founded much worse shit was going down towards the natives. All I see the shirt as is a tongue-in-cheek prod at (non-native) American culture.
13.12.2013 - 04:07
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
I see nothing racist at all, all I see is a guy getting ready to shoot a chick in the head.
14.01.2014 - 18:43
Gordon Freeman

Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 11:16

Butt-hurt Americans don't want people to know what they did.

Except the part where the pilgrims that celebrated the so called "First Thanksgiving" were not actually Americans but Puritan settlers from England. You know England, that one country that is responsible for the systematic suppression of aboriginal societies from the Americas to Africa to Australia to the Indian sub-continent and many other places. And yet it is always the Americans that get the most crap for how the natives were treated. Now I'm not defending what the U.S. government has done to the various tribes in this country over the years, but I would like any European that wants to pile on us for it to remember that none of us are free from the atrocities committed by our ancestors. It is simply part of a society's growth that smaller societies be pushed aside or trampled down. Doesn't matter if you are American or Comanche, Japanese or Russian or any nationality in between. If you are human, then your ancestors have blood on their hands.

Furthermore, Thanksgiving isn't a celebration of the pilgrims coming to America and wiping out the natives anyway. It is a harvest festival made a federal holiday by Abraham Lincoln in the 1860's in order to give the nation a day to give thanks, a hopeful gesture in the midst of the uncertain future of the Civil War.

As for the "First Thanksgiving" a thanksgiving is just what the English Puritans called it when they got together to give thanks to God. They invited members of the local Wampanaog tribe to the feast because the natives had helped them with their first harvest and had even given the settlers donations of food. In those days there was still plenty of room in the Americas and most people saw no harm in being neighborly.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking

Hits total: 8037 | This month: 29