14. The Answer Is In Your Past
15. The Depths Of Humanity
16. Givin' Back To You
17. En Antris Et Stella Fatum Cruenti
18. The Crossroads
19. Morte Lumina
20. Blazing Star
21. The Doomstar Orchestra

I must preface this review with a warning: if you have not watched the "Metalocalypse" series, and are therefore unfamiliar with the story of Dethklok, then nothing in this album will make any sense whatsoever. That is one of the quirks of this release; it is not a conventional studio album, but the soundtrack to a musical continuation of a running storyline.

Musicals are not my cup of tea; I would wager that the same is true for many metal fans. The Doomstar Requiem is no ordinary piece of musical theater, however; this is a death metal-dance-pop shred-errific opera-tastic bona fide Broadway musical masterpiece played by a bunch of cartoons, featuring George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, Jack Black, and Luke Skywalker, backed by a 50-piece orchestra. The songs flow beautifully from one genre to another, with the churning, eldritch melodeath of "Magnus And The Assassin" giving way to the utterly whimsical (and incredibly catchy) dance tune "Partying Around The World." This album has it all: a piano-based showtune, an apparent tribute to Michael Jackson, and a guitar duel that will tear your face from your head and staple it to your ceiling. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had as much zazz as Skwisgaar.

Brendon Small is clearly some kind of wizard. Aside from handling the guitar, bass, and keyboards and writing the music, he provides the voices for over a dozen distinct characters and a majority of the backing vocals. Voice actor Tommy Blacha does not appear on this album, leaving Small to sing the parts of Murderface and Dr. Rockso (hence their diminished roles), and live Dethklok guitarist Mike Keneally does an admirable job of covering the role of Toki Wartooth.

The Doomstar Requiem must be considered as more than a work of music, for it does indeed tell a story that is intertwined with the songs (even more closely than traditional concept albums), and I think it is best enjoyed in conjunction with the animated special. It is an amazing accomplishment, for it is in earnest a musical that just happens to be performed by a metal band, and therein lies its strength - it is not a half-assed parody, but a legitimate and complex effort. This is not to say that the opera does not have its ludicrous elements, because it is a fair mix of the lighthearted and the dramatic. What it does mean is that the multitude of lead singers, the wealth of styles represented, and the impressive musicianship cannot be written off as a joke.

This is not as brutal as previous Dethklok releases, but that is hardly a problem. The strength of songwriting and performances are formidable. The Doomstar Requiem is without a doubt one of the most interesting and engaging albums I have heard in a long time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 01.12.2013 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 417 users
01.12.2013 - 23:48
Westvann

I'm 100% agreed with you! Watched the special for the first time yesterday and the music have been on my mind since I think diversity is the best way to explaining this album, because it is all over the place
02.12.2013 - 01:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Given my past experiences with the band, I highly doubt this will end up being worth a 9.4 to me. I'll give it a chance though, since it's something of a musical opera, which implies a higher degree of compositional sophistication.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.12.2013 - 02:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.12.2013 at 01:51

Given my past experiences with the band, I highly doubt this will end up being worth a 9.4 to me. I'll give it a chance though, since it's something of a musical opera, which implies a higher degree of compositional sophistication.

Yes, I highly doubt it is worth anything tbh. It's the backing music to a cartoon show.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.12.2013 - 02:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sorry but Dethklok a 9.4? the cartoon band will never ever release anything close to a classic album it's as simple as that with their extreme power metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2013 - 02:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And how the hell can something as generic as this score a 10 for originality?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2013 - 04:13
Crème fraiche

I love that show, one of the only things on Adult Swim i care for. their music isn't that special, but this review is tempting me to get it!
02.12.2013 - 04:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2013 at 02:48

I haven't listened to this (and probably won't) but based on what was written in the review this sounds anything but generic.

Quote:
...a death metal-dance-pop shred-errific opera-tastic bona fide Broadway musical masterpiece played by a bunch of cartoons, featuring George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, Jack Black, and Luke Skywalker, backed by a 50-piece orchestra.

It might be shit, but that honestly sounds fairly original.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.12.2013 - 06:23
Mattybu

I will definitely look into listening to this, everyone hates the Klok around here too so kudos to the reviewer for sticking to his guns and giving it a 9.4
02.12.2013 - 06:58
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2013 at 02:48

Say what you will about the previous Dethalbums, but this is quite different from the usual Dethklok fare. I stand by that rating.

Otherwise, it might very well be for a cartoon show, but that does not mean that the music is inherently inferior. Evidently a lot of you find it inferior anyway. Ah well.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
02.12.2013 - 08:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Good or not, this is where I'm going to start with Dethklok.
04.12.2013 - 00:06
FelixtheMetalcat

I love Metalocalypse & everytime I discuss the cartoon or the music, I get love/hate commentary. Thanks for the review, I was not aware of this & am listening to this now....pretty cool for a first listen.
I have found far too many complainers on this site that back up their commentary with no substantiation. With this review, you gotta take this for what it is & lighten up a bit.... afterall, this is all about parody.
04.12.2013 - 08:27
Rating: 8
Traezeus

Thoroughly enjoyed. IMO it's a must to watch the musical rather than just listen to it, at least for the first time.
29.12.2013 - 01:19
mbcameron

That was a beautiful review, ha ha. I really loved this both as the animated special and have enjoyed listening to the album as well. I must have replayed the guitar duel at least fifty times when I first listened to it. And "I Believe" pretty much perfectly described my feelings perfect when I first joined a band. "Blazing Star" also did a lovely job of filling the gap of standard Dethklok songs as well, especially the inclusion of Pickles' clean singing. Loved this and can not wait for next season and Dethalbum 4.
06.01.2014 - 18:08
Darth Revan

This is the one album that I've not only put on loop for a full week now, but without cutting even one song. That has NEVER happened to me. There's always been a few filler songs in every album I listened to (Except maybe Reign In Blood... But really that album was more like a 45 minute long song... not that there's anything wrong with that) but not this one. That says something.
06.01.2014 - 19:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Darth Revan on 06.01.2014 at 18:08

Except maybe Reign In Blood... But really that album was more like a 45 minute long song...

Reign In Blood is 29 minutes long not 45
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.01.2014 - 09:07
Darth Revan

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.01.2014 at 19:22

Written by Darth Revan on 06.01.2014 at 18:08

Except maybe Reign In Blood... But really that album was more like a 45 minute long song...

Reign In Blood is 29 minutes long not 45

Actually didn't look it up, which I probably should have. Either way, always feels to me like 45 minutes... Mostly because Municipal Waste is my benchmark for 20.

Hits total: 9598 | This month: 8