Metal Storm logo
Five Finger Death Punch - The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell - Volume 2 review

Reviewer:

115 users:
Band: Five Finger Death Punch
Album: The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell - Volume 2
Style: Groove metal
Release date: November 2013

Disc I
01. Here To Die
02. Weight Beneath My Sin
03. Wrecking Ball
04. Battle Born
05. Cradle To The Grave
06. Matter Of Time
07. The Agony Of Regret
08. Cold
09. Let This Go
10. My Heart Lied
11. A Day In My Life
12. House Of The Rising Sun
13. Burn MF" [Mr. Kane and Nikka Bling Remix] [feat. Rob Zombie] [iTunes bonus]

Disc II
01. Intro [live]
02. Under And Over It [live]
03. Burn It Down [live]
04. American Capitalist [live]
05. Hard To See [live]
06. Coming Down [live]
07. Bad Company [live]
08. White Knuckles [live]
09. Drum Solo [live]
10. Far From Home [live]
11. Never Enough [live]
12. War Is The Answer [live]
13. Remember Everything [live]
14. No One Gets Left Behind [live]
15. The Bleeding [live]

"Ah, finally more weightlifting music. I was starting to feel a bit unfit." This best summarizes my thoughts about the newer Five Finger Death Punch, before their release.

It goes without saying that the first album of this couple has been a huge disappointment for most Five Finger Death Punch fans, due to excessive immaturity, avoidable vulgarity and overall average music. Altogether, the common feeling was that the next "Mission: Impossible" would have seen Tom Cruise in a desperate quest to find reasons to save that album.

As already stated in the introduction, I was at least confident in the fact that the new Five Finger Death Punch would have been added to my gym playlist, alongside with Sabaton. But Volume 1 was useless also in that role, since the energy it displayed was simply hollow and its plastic cartoon brutality fell, inevitably sounding pointless.

A few months later, the band released Volume 2. The shared hope was that it would have made amends for the previous error, while the public fear was that it would have continued in the self-satisfied mediocrity of the first instalment.

Anyway, let's analyse Volume 2, comparing it with its forerunner. Since Volume 1 has already been examined here, in the next paragraph I'm going to accurately explain what makes Volume 2 different from Volume 1 and, therefore, justifies the release of this album.

The nothingness.

Well, well. Volume 2 is harmed by the same ruinous formula that made Volume 1 so laughable. The overused mixture of heavy songs and dramatic-wannabe ballads, the humble song structure that started losing its vibe already in American Capitalist, the unbearably pathetic lyrics, all the other blemishes and the extremely rare strength points are here, unchanged. And there's the rub, as The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell shows itself in its true nature: a cash cow, meant to take advantage of the hordes of trustful teen fans the band has gathered in years of not exceptional, but respectable work.

Useless.

Written on 05.12.2013 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 182 users
05.12.2013 - 16:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm at a loss while trying to think how they justified making a double album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.12.2013 - 18:41
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.12.2013 at 16:51

I'm at a loss while trying to think how they justified making a double album.

Think harder
05.12.2013 - 21:14
Eternity'sChild

Are the lyrics even more immature than the ones from their previous albums? This destroying review makes me a bit interested in how bad it really is, maybe I'm going to listen to a few songs...
05.12.2013 - 21:21
R Lewis

Written by Eternity'sChild on 05.12.2013 at 21:14

Are the lyrics even more immature than the ones from their previous albums? This destroying review makes me a bit interested in how bad it really is, maybe I'm going to listen to a few songs...

"Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / You try but you can't reach me
Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / There is nothing you can teach me
In hell, Motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / I swear you're out to get me
Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / I'd live but you won't let me
BURN"

No, I'm not drunk and I don't hate you. These are the lyrics of "Burn MF" from Volume 1
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
05.12.2013 - 21:37
Eternity'sChild

Written by R Lewis on 05.12.2013 at 21:21

Written by Eternity'sChild on 05.12.2013 at 21:14

"Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / You try but you can't reach me
Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / There is nothing you can teach me
In hell, Motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / I swear you're out to get me
Burn motherfucker burn motherfucker burn / I'd live but you won't let me
BURN"

No, I'm not drunk and I don't hate you. These are the lyrics of "Burn MF" from Volume 1

Wow, this is even worse than I expected. I'm sure you'd write better lyrics even if you were drunk.
Listened to one song now, they never were anything near good, but this is really bad. I remember, they had at least catchy choruses on their first album and some songs on Amarican Capitalist had that too, but it seems that, the more albums they make, the more the songs get on your nerves, because they follow the same formula. Awful.
08.12.2013 - 13:23
Grey Wind

This band is like the Nickelback of metal, everyone dislikes them
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
08.12.2013 - 14:03
R Lewis

Written by Grey Wind on 08.12.2013 at 13:23

I liked them, before these releases.
----
08.12.2013 - 14:10
Uldreth

Written by R Lewis on 08.12.2013 at 14:03

Written by Grey Wind on 08.12.2013 at 13:23

I liked them, before these releases.

I also liked them, but I only know their first album which I like, and based on some stuff I see all around the various places, I think I should just stick to their first .
08.12.2013 - 14:30
R Lewis

Written by Uldreth on 08.12.2013 at 14:10

I also liked them, but I only know their first album which I like, and based on some stuff I see all around the various places, I think I should just stick to their first .

I actually liked also War Is The Answer (review)
----
24.12.2013 - 03:32
Rating: 6
Chobo_jokeR

Their first 3 albums are regulars for me when I'm at the gym. The music is catchy and entertaining. Similar to a lot of the melodeath / gothenburg stuff I listen to at the gym it servers its purpose. You are entirely right with your review though. Even this is barely passable as a "gym" or "workout" album. The first half is pretty damn bad too.

American Capitalist was probably where the lyrics took a severe turn for the worse, but these two albums are just straight up shmashmortions.
29.12.2013 - 01:04
mbcameron

I loved them back in high school when they first came out. Each album they have released I have gotten less and less interested. This review is perfect. After these two albums I honestly got rid of all their old stuff and these albums. If you ever feel the need to listen to them just get one album, they all sound the same anyway.
31.12.2013 - 01:51
Rating: 10
Soheil KD

Amazing album

Hits total: 9220 | This month: 7