Metal Storm logo
First Metal Show/Concert?

10.12.2013 - 09:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm surprised no one's asked this yet. Since I've always been the only one in my family who has any fondness for the genre, and because of lack of money to buy tickets/merch, my first metal show is rather recent compared to a lot of the veterans on this site. I went to see Iron Maiden on August 10, 2012 from their Maiden England Tour, where I had a hell of an awesome time with two of my good friends. I've been into metal music for a long while already, but I never saw any actual metal shows until last year (I've gone to see tons since now that I'm in college). I'm glad Maiden was my first, since they've always been one of the more influential bands (if not the most) for getting me into metal in the first place. What are your first metal shows? They can be of any sub-genre.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.12.2013 - 12:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
June 1983 Aardschokdag, Den Bosch. The Netherlands (which btw was my first ever gig of any sort of music)

line-up
1. Mercyful Fate
2. Trance
3. Vandenberg
4. Raven
5. Accept

Mercyful Fate signed their Roadrunner contract that day.

First three bands played an hour and Raven and Accept both at least 90 minutes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2013 - 13:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Summer of 2005, Gothenburg. Iron Maiden's "Early Days" tour. In Flames and Mastodon opened up the show.

I'll never forget that show. Still a huge Maiden fan, but today I mostly vomit anytime I hear an Iron Maiden classic (please, give me something different). Anyway, going to a huge concert always bothers me when you notice all the people who are there just because they heard "Run to the Hills" on the radio and liked it, or something like that. I was only 15 back then, but already had that elitist behaviour. I got so mad at the older guys standing next to me, yelling "FEAR OF THE DARK!". It's an early days tour, idiots! Only the first four albums! Although that haven't stopped Iron Maiden after that tour.
But I knew every line, every riff, from every song. I remember how those guys looked at me with a "WTF, that short little dude know this song?" when I screamed along with stuff such as "Another Life" or "Murders in the Rue Morgue".
----
10.12.2013 - 13:47
Ancient Dreams

Cradle Of Filth / Akercocke / Immolation in 2003

I having mixed feelings about it because it was the first gig I had been to so I was excited, but I really didn't like the album Cradle Of Filth were touring at the time. Oddly they played about 2 songs from it and then all old stuff though
10.12.2013 - 14:01
Deadsoulman

February 1st 1998, Suicidal Tendencies in Toulouse. I went with my dad because I had no one to give me a ride to the venue. Show was ok, as usual with ST, but the setlist was quite disappointing. Anyway, I remember being really excited. This wasn't my first gig though, as I went to see Pink Floyd in August 1994 on the Division Bell tour. To this day one of the best shows I've ever seen.
10.12.2013 - 14:50
Darkside Momo
Retired
First metal show was Moonspell + Therion (+ Darkside) in Toulouse 21st october 1998; it was the Sin/Pecado / Vovin tour. Awesome.

(first show was non-metal, spring 1997, pop-rock and stuff during the biggest students week-end of Toulouse : "les 24 heures de l'INSA")
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.12.2013 - 19:36
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
These are all really good ones! I wish I could say that Maiden was my first-ever concert of any music period, but unfortunately my mom had to be a big fan girl of NSYNC and brought me and my older brother to one of their shows back in 2000 or so, I was 7 years old then. It's the first concert I remember going to period, and I'm just glad I moved away from that shit.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.12.2013 - 01:36
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Hm, my first ROCK concert was with Wig Wam. Followed up with Ten Years After and Europe. Then Fatal Smile. Not sure where to classify "metal" haha!
11.12.2013 - 02:47
DyingWorld

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.12.2013 at 12:58

June 1983 Aardschokdag, Den Bosch. The Netherlands (which btw was my first ever gig of any sort of music)

line-up
1. Mercyful Fate
2. Trance
3. Vandenberg
4. Raven
5. Accept

Mercyful Fate signed their Roadrunner contract that day.

First three bands played an hour and Raven and Accept both at least 90 minutes.

I hate you...

My first show was Metallica in 2004 on their legendary St. Anger tour. In retrospect, it wasn't the greatest show in the world as the setlist could have been much better but, I was 11 and it was my first real concert. I couldn't have been happier then.
11.12.2013 - 03:42
Wukk

My first one was Sonata Arctica in London in December 2009. Back then, I never thought I'd end up going to a metal concert since I was quite shy and I figured it really wouldn't go down well with my family, no matter how flowery and Finland-y it was. Myself and a close online friend of mine were really into Sonata, so we decided to go to the concert to meet up, regardless of my previous inhibitions. At first, it didn't go down well, but after showing my mum some of the music she eventually became convinced that I wasn't going to get my head kicked in or anything (after all, it's Sonata Arctica of all people). As I said, I was pretty shy back then and it was my first gig, so I wasn't very energetic or close to the front or anything, but I had an amazing time and I still treasure it.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
11.12.2013 - 13:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
My first metal show was Metallica I think in Rock In Rio, Lisbon. Don't remember if it was 2006 or 2007. It was the first metal band I enjoyed and it was a big deal at the time seeing them for the first time. I remember it was amazing and I saw other bands like Stone Sour, Mastodon and my lovely Joe Satriani. I was learning to play Metallica and Satriani songs at the time. It all came together. Good times...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.12.2013 - 18:35
Thrashette

Heavy TO 2011...
It was a bit much for me and I didn't go to another show til almost a year later. The music was great and I had fun with the crowd I went with (even though I'm not on speaking terms with any of them now), but I find festivals overwhelming with the huge crowd and having to be there all day, then waking up bright and early with a neck pain for day 2. I know most people show up later or just for the headliners, but there's often bands I want to see earlier in the day and I feel like I'm not getting the full value of the ticket I paid for if I miss part of the show. The next show I went to was at a small bar and I realized I like that format and atmosphere a lot better.
11.12.2013 - 18:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Thrashette on 11.12.2013 at 18:35
The next show I went to was at a small bar and I realized I like that format and atmosphere a lot better.

Those are the only kinds of shows I can go to. I prefer the more intimate setting, and typically a band playing a small gig won't have prima donna syndrome. They usually stick around to talk with audience members, sign some merch, and some even take part watching the other bands from the floor which is pretty cool. The first show I went to was actually to watch a friend's band play in the basement of a pub. There were only about 30 people but everyone had a great time. Plus, the guitarist broke one of his strings and it cut through his finger right to the bone, and their drummer hit one of his cymbals so hard it actually inverted. They played through their entire set like that before the next band came on and their lead vocalist split his head open while headbanging too close to an amp.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.12.2013 - 19:52
Mattybu

First show I ever went to was Iron Maiden in Toronto on July 3rd, 2010 (Dream Theater opening). The setlist was not amazing but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and they covered the bases including the best song they ever wrote and at least 5 or 6 really good songs. The Dio tribute song was nice too. Was up on the lawn at the Molson Canadian Amphitheater, so not close to the front at all. I would have just turned 15 at the time so probably a more or less average age to start going to concerts. The same month I saw Slayer and Megadeth at the same venue, this time a little closer but still in seats. I forget if it was the saturday or sunday but whichever day of Heavy TO in 2011 had Anthrax, Megadeth, Motorhead, etc was the first time I actually got some good mosh pit action. I actually showed up quite early in the day and there was some shitty metalcore and filler but Diamond Head played early and I wanted to see them. Glad to hear "Am I Evil" played live in at least one setting, legendary song.
11.12.2013 - 20:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.12.2013 at 18:46

Those are the only kinds of shows I can go to. I prefer the more intimate setting, and typically a band playing a small gig won't have prima donna syndrome.

Agreed. I've always prefered the smaller venues over huge arenas. Much more intimate and often a lot better.
----
11.12.2013 - 22:17
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Warman on 11.12.2013 at 20:15

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.12.2013 at 18:46

Those are the only kinds of shows I can go to. I prefer the more intimate setting, and typically a band playing a small gig won't have prima donna syndrome.

Agreed. I've always prefered the smaller venues over huge arenas. Much more intimate and often a lot better.

Yeah, agree with both of you. I've gone to tons of smaller venues and even one warehouse like place with a bunch of local bands. I think Iron Maiden is the only large-scale arena metal band that I've actually seen live, everywhere else has been at places like the House of Blues and stuff.
----
13.12.2013 - 00:06
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
First metal show was Slayer's American Carnage Tour with Megadeth & Testament at the Cow Palace in Daly City.
Was right next to the stage when Slayer came out for their set, nearly suffocated because of everyone smoking their cigarettes & weed.
Was the best night of my life, so far!
16.12.2013 - 20:07
Marikanator

2004 Giants Of Rock - Copenhagen

line-up:
Rammstein
Slayer
Accept
Hammerfall
17.12.2013 - 02:59
Sentinel65

Epitaph tour