‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 [2]
Users visited: 159  
Search this topic:  
How would you rate 2013 in terms of new Metal music?

Very good year47
Average year25
Excellent year15
Poor Year6
Awful Year1

Total votes: 94

The original post

Posted by deadone on 11.12.2013 at 00:21
So given 2013 is just about done and dusted, how would you rate it in terms of quality of releases?

Page 2 of 2

tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

12.12.2013 at 17:52
Written by IronAngel on 12.12.2013 at 17:28

And did someone seriously think Cult of Luna and Rosetta wouldn't be solid?

Not to mention Mouth Of The Architect, Obscure Sphinx and God Is An Astronaut

Pretty nice releases from some big ambient names (Eluvium, Tim Hecker, Julianna Barwick, Grouper), too. But, again, established names that I expected to be great.

Have you ever checked out ThisQuietArmy? You will probably dig him.
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU
IronAngel

12.12.2013 at 17:57
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.12.2013 at 17:52

And did someone seriously think Cult of Luna and Rosetta wouldn't be solid?

Not to mention Mouth Of The Architect, Obscure Sphinx and God Is An Astronaut

I didn't know Obscure Sphinx had a new album out, I'll have to check that out ASAP. Same with ThisQuietArmy, I am not well-acquainted. Not a huge fan of GiaA, tbh.
Lit.
Brütal Legend

12.12.2013 at 23:16
Written by tea[m]ster on 12.12.2013 at 06:06

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER:
Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light

That's not how you spell Dream Theater.
----
THERE'S SEMEN ON EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!"
deadone
Nu Metal Warrior

13.12.2013 at 00:40
Interesting comments re: it being a year of Death Metal.

Personally I don't see the appeal of stuff like Ulcerate - it starts off fine and then drones on and on. It's been something that's always plagued DM and especially once the Tech Death fad came through (e.g. Psycroptic, Neuraxis etc).

But I'm not hearing well crafted DM albums anymore especially from new bands i.e. ones that combine brutality with good song writing and interesting music.

It seems whenever a decent DM album comes out, it's from one of the old masters ala Vader, Cryptopsy (last one), Carcass, Aborted etc.

Thouigh the last Cattle Decapitation (Monolith of Inhumanity) was excellent but even they aren't exactly a new band.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Divergenceless

13.12.2013 at 01:18
Written by deadone on 13.12.2013 at 00:40

Interesting comments re: it being a year of Death Metal.

Personally I don't see the appeal of stuff like Ulcerate - it starts off fine and then drones on and on. It's been something that's always plagued DM and especially once the Tech Death fad came through (e.g. Psycroptic, Neuraxis etc).

But I'm not hearing well crafted DM albums anymore especially from new bands i.e. ones that combine brutality with good song writing and interesting music.

It seems whenever a decent DM album comes out, it's from one of the old masters ala Vader, Cryptopsy (last one), Carcass, Aborted etc.

Thouigh the last Cattle Decapitation (Monolith of Inhumanity) was excellent but even they aren't exactly a new band.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Try Beyond- Fatal Power of Death. Very old school, and very underappreciated.
deadone
Nu Metal Warrior

13.12.2013 at 01:20
Thanks for the hint. I'll give them a go.
3rdWorld

13.12.2013 at 20:42
Amazing record, the kind of one I want to shout to whoever I see these days

and also I believe '13 was excellent in terms of new releases.
Monolithic
♠♠♠

13.12.2013 at 22:04
No complaints whatsoever.

I'm 100% satisfied so far and I'm looking forward to look for more hidden gems this year.
Mad Arab666

13.12.2013 at 23:06
It's been pretty good. A lot good albums and a few terrible ones but overall no complaints. Still quite a few albums to pick up such as omega arcane by shade empire and ornassi pazuzu's valonielu but I can grab them sometime in January.
----
One does not simply rock into Blashyrkh
LascaillesShroud

14.12.2013 at 05:45
An EXCEPTIONAL year for Metal, one of the best.
Apothecary
Black One

16.12.2013 at 23:46
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.12.2013 at 17:44

Monolithe and The Flight of Sleipnir were the only doom albums I managed to really enjoy

Dark Buddha Rising bro?
----
Officially dubbed a "Cranky Avantgarde elitist" on 02/3/2014, courtesy Mr. Doctor
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

17.12.2013 at 00:07
Written by Apothecary on 16.12.2013 at 23:46
Dark Buddha Rising bro?

Admittedly I've only just listened to this track so I can't judge the album, but if that song is anything to go by it's really not my thing. I only kinda liked about the last 4 minutes, which isn't that great anyway considering the length of the buildup.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Apothecary
Black One

17.12.2013 at 00:28
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2013 at 00:07

Admittedly I've only just listened to this track so I can't judge the album, but if that song is anything to go by it's really not my thing. I only kinda liked about the last 4 minutes, which isn't that great anyway considering the length of the buildup.

Not the best on the album, in my opinion. I'm actually surprised that that's still the only track from it on Youtube, I can upload the full album later if you'd like.
----
Officially dubbed a "Cranky Avantgarde elitist" on 02/3/2014, courtesy Mr. Doctor
JohnDoe

17.12.2013 at 09:08
Written by Lit. on 12.12.2013 at 23:16

Written by tea[m]ster on 12.12.2013 at 06:06

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER:
Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light

That's not how you spell Dream Theater.

this is just wrong , not only is FW's album miles better that DT's selftitled one, but FW's music has little to do with DT's, it's quite different. And also, it's FW that influenced DT in their early days.
----
"what happens in my subconscious is not my business"
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

18.12.2013 at 21:53
Written by JohnDoe on 17.12.2013 at 09:08

this is just wrong , not only is FW's album miles better that DT's selftitled one, but FW's music has little to do with DT's, it's quite different. And also, it's FW that influenced DT in their early days.

P'WNT
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU
Uldreth

23.12.2013 at 20:15
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.12.2013 at 17:44

But grindcore was great this year for sure - and all the other -core genres. Antigama, Nails, Machetazo, Breakdown of Sanity, Misery Signals, etc.

This comment piqued my interest, did you actually personally like the new BoS or you just said this from an "objective" standpoint, stating that it would probably massively appeal to -core fans?
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

23.12.2013 at 20:38
Written by Uldreth on 23.12.2013 at 20:15
This comment piqued my interest, did you actually personally like the new BoS or you just said this from an "objective" standpoint, stating that it would probably massively appeal to -core fans?

Both, actually. I'd recommend it more so to fans of bands like Aegaeon, Fit for a King, and pretty much any other melodic/technical/progressive metal/deathcore bands.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Uldreth

23.12.2013 at 20:43
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.12.2013 at 20:38

Written by Uldreth on 23.12.2013 at 20:15

Both, actually. I'd recommend it more so to fans of bands like Aegaeon, Fit for a King, and pretty much any other melodic/technical/progressive metal/deathcore bands.

Wow, another Troy surprise

But yeah, it was probably THE surprise of the year for me. I like -core music a lot but I am really not a fan of that Bury Your Dead-esque sound these guys played in the past and then those atmospheric elements and strange and subtle sense of dynamics blew me away.
----
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.12.2011 at 07:06

And then of course there's Asking Alexandria... For the record, nobody ever asked Alexandria anything ever again.

-Troy on trancecore
Darth Revan

26.12.2013 at 05:37
I'm a thrash and power guy for the most part, a bit of melodeth too... so let's see how we did. Thrash had an awful showing. Power did ok.

So let's start with thrash... When I say thrash had an awful showing, I mean there were barely any bands that I personally listen to that put out new material. Exodus is nowhere to be seen, Municipal Waste released their latest album last year, Warbringer's latest has been... surprisingly boring for me. I don't know why it never caught on with me. I think it's just trying too hard to be aggressive, rather than being naturally so. And from what I can discern, even the bands I don't really listen to didn't have a good year (Toxic Holocaust and Havok anyone?). Ugh... Testament had a good yea- Oh wait that was last year. Right, thrash took one straight in the mouth this year.

Power... Stratovarius released nemesis, really good album. Helloween released straight outta hell which was... meh for me. Don't know why, but 7 sinners has more going for it IMO. If only Gamma Ray had managed to release that album this year, from what we've gotten so far, it looks like a spectacular return to form. Otherwise, no one I really listen to put out anything this year... I'd add Dragonforce but they were 2012, Sonata Arctica's latest monstrosity was 2012...

Melodeth... I loved the Doomstar requiem. It took a while, but it eventually grew on me, once I embraced a different kind of silliness. Amon Amarth have really been wearing out their welcome for me, you can only release the same album so many times before I get bored... I've yet to hunker down and listen to the new Dark Tranquillity properly. Sounds ok from what I can tell.

Orphaned Land released a new album, heard it was pretty bad actually, but haven't listened to it myself. I suppose once you release the masterpiece that was "Mabool" you've set the bar pretty damn high. Avenged Sevenfold unceremoniously dumped their latest banality deposit on us, and I've been avoiding it like wildfire. Even friends I have who actually like them tell me it's shit. Unfortunately for us, they're the only band radio-friendly enough to get airplay. I wish I were alive at the time Judas Priest actually got played on the radio...

So how was this year for metal? All in all, I'd say pretty bad, for me anyway. Not enough thrash, average power, average melodeth. Mind you, when I say pretty bad, I don't mean entirely horrible, A7X releasing a new album notwithstanding. There were definitely some gems to be found, if you look at this thread anyway, just not in my particular ball park.
Koen Smits

28.12.2013 at 14:39
My top 20 of 2013: a very good year. Even Carcass and Gorguts don't make the list.

1.Graveyard / The Sea Grave
2.Tribulation / The Formulas Of Death
3.Verminous / The Unholy Communion
4.Grave Miasma / Odori Sepulcrorum
5.Krypts / Unending Degradation
6.Demonical / Darkness Unbound
7.Bolzer / Aura
8.Vastum / Patricidal Lust
9.Skeletal Spectre / Voodoo Dawn
10.Lantern / Below
11.Obliteration / Black Death Horizon
12.Necrophobic / Womb of Lilithu
13.Vehement / Collapse
14.Necrowretch / Putrid Death Sorcery
15.Flagellant / Maledictum
16.Svart Crown / Profane
17.Zemial / Nykta
18.Trollkraftt / Bogs and Brimstone
19.Negator / Gates to the Pantheon
20.Torture Killer / Phobia
----
RIP: Frank Vandenbroucke (6 nov 1974 - 12 oct 2009)
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Fuck

28.12.2013 at 15:01
Written by Koen Smits on 28.12.2013 at 14:39

My top 20 of 2013: a very good year. Even Carcass and Gorguts don't make the list.

1.Graveyard / The Sea Grave
2.Tribulation / The Formulas Of Death
3.Verminous / The Unholy Communion
4.Grave Miasma / Odori Sepulcrorum
5.Krypts / Unending Degradation
6.Demonical / Darkness Unbound
7.Bolzer / Aura
8.Vastum / Patricidal Lust
9.Skeletal Spectre / Voodoo Dawn
10.Lantern / Below
11.Obliteration / Black Death Horizon
12.Necrophobic / Womb of Lilithu
13.Vehement / Collapse
14.Necrowretch / Putrid Death Sorcery
15.Flagellant / Maledictum
16.Svart Crown / Profane
17.Zemial / Nykta
18.Trollkraftt / Bogs and Brimstone
19.Negator / Gates to the Pantheon
20.Torture Killer / Phobia

Great list, we got quite a few in common, as we already discussed at EMM
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Koen Smits

28.12.2013 at 15:11
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2013 at 15:01

Great list, we got quite a few in common, as we already discussed at EMM

Yep, we got some in common.
Bölzer could 've been higher if the album had more songs, but a great release nevertheless.
Tried to find some better albums than "The Formulas Of Death" but found only one.
Had some trouble with top 15 to 20. Maybe there could be some changes in the future.
----
RIP: Frank Vandenbroucke (6 nov 1974 - 12 oct 2009)
mbcameron

29.12.2013 at 00:21
I personally thought this year was amazing for the most part.

1. Dream Theater- Dream Theater (Bit of a fanboy, can't not put them here.)
2. Black Sabbath- 13 (Don't care what anyone says it was an amazing album.)
3. The Black Dahlia Murder- Everblack (I honestly think this is one of the best albums they have released, Raped in Hatred was perfect)
4. Children of Bodom- Halo of Blood (Shocked me how good it was.)
5. Nekrogoblikon- Power (Not nearly as good as Stench but I personally thought this EP had all their quintessential elements to it.)
6. Kvelertak- Meir (Never heard of them till this album, fell in love with their sound.)
7. Protest the Hero- Volition (The vocals originally annoyed me but now I actually think they are perfect for the sound of the band.)
8. Turisas- Turisas2013 (Lame title, fun album. Not as good as past releases though.)
9. Fleshgod Apocalypse (Again, not quite to the level of past albums but still a really awesome release.)
10. Devin Townsend- The Retinal Circus (Normally not a big fan of live albums but this one was great. And it is Devin so I pretty much had to love it.)
Zaphod
The Nothingth

29.12.2013 at 23:08
I think it was pretty poor this year, but maybe I was looking in the wrong places. There were some great new bands (Lascaille's Shroud, Anciients, Progenie Terrestre Pura), there were some solid releases that were nothing more than solid (Skeletonwitch, Amorphis, Leprous), there were some disappointments (Shining, !T.O.O.H.!, Chthonic), there were some expected bad ones (Megadeth, Amon Amarth, Children Of Bodom), there were some "meh" albums (Soilwork, Carcass, Dream Theater), and in the end I still have no idea why I purchased that Ghost album.
So overall, pretty weak year in comparison to previous ones.
Written by Darth Revan on 26.12.2013 at 05:37

Thrash had an awful showing.

Probably because thrash has practically been dead for over ten years.
----
"Sometimes there is absolutely no difference at all between salvation and damnation."
― Stephen King, The Green Mile
deadone
Nu Metal Warrior

30.12.2013 at 04:10
It's 30/12/13 and I find myself listening to albums from 2012 far more often than 2013.

In fact for me 2013 is the worst year in metal in 21 years of listening to the genre. The quality just wasn't there. If it wasn't for Carcass it would've been even worse.

The bigger names produced very average albums for the most part and I din't hear any underground stuff that rocked my world.

Really hoping 2014 picks up a bit more.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 [2]

Login or register to post here.