Album: λόγος
Style: Blackened death metal
Release date: April 2013

01. Homunculus Daimon-Eon (Awakening)
02. Consumate Spellbound Synapses
03. Towers Of Silence
04. The Ash And The Stars
05. Beyond Diurnal Winds
06. Nuclear Crucifixion (Turning The Spear Inward)
07. On The Tree Of Life And Death
08. Transept Of Limbs
09. Death Meta

It never ceases to amaze me whenever I discover great stuff through random encounters, and in Antediluvian's case, my mind was blown...then its remains were consumed by dark figures I had never seen before.

Well to be honest, it wasn't technically a random encounter as I hungered for more black/death metal after Akercocke's bitter demise and I guess that was where I made my first and last mistake. A year later, in 2013, I found myself in hell; Bølzer, Tribulation and the icing on the cake, Antediluvian's peculiarly-titled album λόγος or "Logos" which was used by Heraclitus to describe the principle of order and knowledge.

Before listening to this album I decided to try listening to Through The Cervix Of Hawaah, and it made me quite hesitant on whether I should move on to this album or if that's all they have to offer. Being able to overcome my doubts and finally giving λόγος a spin, my only regret is that I listened to it at midnight without head-banging.

Building up on intense and hollow blast-beat tornadoes, riffing dissonance and guttural grunts from the lungs of hell, the music you're about to expect from these chaotic Canadians isn't fresh; it's hateful, morbid and rather unpredictable in nature. It's overwhelming like hell's fire. That's right: 34 minutes of unbearable pungent black/death metal. λόγος sounds as thick as a dark tar pit, as primal as the Wendigo and as agonizing as suffocation. There are potential risks of developing real ear-worms after extended periods of exposure.

In conclusion, Antediluvian duly hit the lights with an ugly black/death metal record for the hateful. If you were looking for a lucky candidate for the WTF album of the year 2013, λόγος is a guaranteed place-holder.

Written by Monolithic | 10.12.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 48 users
17.12.2013 - 22:46
Rating: 8
mz

No offense but I don't like how almost half of this review is about your history with band. Also, your rare real description of their sound in 4th paragraph is surronded by metaphors. One might need more analytic description.
I personally had hard time with this album. Vocals are really a put off for me but I somehow got used to them.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
17.12.2013 - 23:24
Rating: 9
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by mz on 17.12.2013 at 22:46

No offense but I don't like how almost half of this review is about your history with band. Also, your rare real description of their sound in 4th paragraph is surronded by metaphors. One might need more analytic description.
I personally had hard time with this album. Vocals are really a put off for me but I somehow got used to them.

In writing this review, I was trying not to go all dramatic and actually use some coherent facts and reasons to say how I found them. I don't suppose you would have a trouble with the history although I can understand why you're irritated with the history part being so long. I really tend to stay away from expressing over-exaggerating feelings and emotions.

"rare real"? What I mentioned here would, to a certain extent, describe and reflect what I heard on the album and the way I tried to describe it was to utilize a varied vocabulary instead of the ordinary "this is cool" or "that is rad" and so on. The vocals didn't bug me as much as I thought. Either my taste is awful or I have developed a taste for guttural death grunts.
18.12.2013 - 15:53
Rating: 8
mz

Written by Monolithic on 17.12.2013 at 23:24

In writing this review, I was trying not to go all dramatic and actually use some coherent facts and reasons to say how I found them. I don't suppose you would have a trouble with the history although I can understand why you're irritated with the history part being so long. I really tend to stay away from expressing over-exaggerating feelings and emotions.

"rare real"? What I mentioned here would, to a certain extent, describe and reflect what I heard on the album and the way I tried to describe it was to utilize a varied vocabulary instead of the ordinary "this is cool" or "that is rad" and so on. The vocals didn't bug me as much as I thought. Either my taste is awful or I have developed a taste for guttural death grunts.

I did not want some cliche phrases such as "this is cool". I personally did not have much problem with this review since I actually had heard the album before reading this review.
Based on what I've read about this album, most people have no issue with the vocals. I actually quiet enjoy deep grunts such as the vocals of abyssal or Mitochondrion. This album was a little harder to enjoy I guess.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 3295 | This month: 14