Metal Storm logo
Early Finnish Death Metal

11.01.2007 - 14:45
ylside

Was listening today again to Convulse' "World Without God' album and I thought I'll make a thread about finnish Death metal.

We all know the swedish type, treble driven super distortion with this somehow punkish feel sometimes. However when it comes to Finland's death metal, we can clearly notice it was closer to the american way than to their neighbors.
Of course of the most known we have Demigod and Demilich, downloading made me discover other nice Death metal bands that aren't as unique as Demilich but still they need to be mentioned somewhere, Convulse to begin with, Adramelech, Funebre (great one) and of course Abhorrance and early Amorphis. But also Xysma, who began as a nice grind act in the old vein who later turned into pioneering the death and roll genre. (YES, and not Entombed).

I feel that this thread will sink low in this forum's page but heck, giving it a try. So I would be glad to get more reccomendations, more likely albums and not split or demos, I noticed there were a lot of demos but not enough full lengths actually! Or maybe this is just me.
11.01.2007 - 17:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I'll try to help keeping this page up, though I don't have much to say.

I know about Demigod and Demilich of course, but that is where it ends.

Oh, and Amorphis of course.

I'll check out a few of those bands you mentioned, and I am interested in the Death 'n' Roll of Xysma.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.01.2007 - 15:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hmm iMO good trad but wont be active, like Ylside say moust of us know Swedish DM who IMO are owerated of some points of wiew, becausehwo cant it cames we all knwo old school Swedish abnds but good quality Finish German no

nowdays pl know Finsih Power Metal, who aer same like Swedish death ''owerated'' and BM but other good genres like heavy, Doom and Death no

From bands what he mention early sentenced are my fav, realy love them and realy good band

Ok :

Convulse - I know this band and I like itv like all old school bands, but i hawnt hear much

Demigod - ''Slumber of Sullen Eyes'' ist only album what I can lsiten from them , but not latest ist ehh but im not big fan of band

Demilich - ''Nespithe'' only album what I knwo and ahd hear its goo one its more techical and more dunno but diferent hgow DM

Hmm Adramelech - I know it from ANUS.com ist all

Funebre - Good band realy good I lsiten them long ago in my Death metal days in secendary school in tape and still woudering why tahy dont continue

Xysma - Thay realy remaind me Amorphsi in early days anmd IMOI first album are closet to Amorphis.

But Sentenced and Amoprhis ist closest band to me.

Necropsy - wery rear band but my fathers freind get in into Estonia beck in early 90ties and it was realy good one DM and thay had splitt whit Necropsy

I also know Depravity one splitt album and good band Mordicus - ''Dances From Left'' only album what I know and only old schoola album becaus elatest album are new wawe of DM
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2007 - 19:26
ylside

Yeah K7 Mordicus and Depravity deliver also some great melodic DM.
How could I forget Sentenced ! Their first album rules. Necropsy had a split with Demigod if I remember right ?
12.01.2007 - 19:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Really? Is that split still available and does it contain any songs from the 'Slumber Of Sullen Eyes' album - on Demigod's side? I hope so.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.01.2007 - 19:42
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I remember few bands from late 80s and early 90s

ARG - guitar driven DM From oulu
STONE - one of the first death metal acts in Finland
VOMITURITION - sounded alot like Entombed on Clandestine album
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
12.01.2007 - 19:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Check out Children of Bodom....they rrrrrrrrock

No...i'm joking....they suck

So, are you only interested in old Finnish death metal? The posts seem like any death metal will do, even though the topic says otherwise, so you can always check out Torsofuck, Goretorture, and Cumbeast, but I don't know how much you will like them. For an early grindish feel, you can try Rotten Sound.
12.01.2007 - 20:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@ylside - ye syou'r wright abouts plitt but i dunno where ist psoible ger those records, probobly wherre we all get them and Sentenced try EP ''Trooper''

@Nervel - Its hard to get them only hard core metalfans can be them but not ewery body ist rear stuff

@pyroleprechaun CoF hahahha

@heresiarch - Hahha well you sood remeber good bands from 80ties
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2007 - 20:09
ylside

Well I'm mostly talking about the early sound yes. I don't like all this new brutality and all, I prefer staying away for most new bands!

@Nervel : I really dunno about it containing songs from Slumber, check MA. =)

One thing I must add about Mordicus is that it really does sound like a Swedish DM with approximatively the same distortion and feeling! But still great.

@Heresiarch : Thanks! I'll try to check those.
12.01.2007 - 20:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Checked it, and it turns out the only song that's on both albums is 'Perpetual Ascent'. But at the split it is featured as an intro and it is a normal song in 'Slumber' so I guess they worked out that song or something like that. Mwah, I'll just keep looking for Slumber Of Sullen Eyes.
----

12.01.2007 - 20:25
ylside

@Nervel But hey ! Don't forget that Demigod was known first for their demo Unholy Domain before Slumber, I reallly recommend you Unholy Domain if you didn't hear it yet.
And... --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzSZzZEvtM enjoy!

@K7 : Adramelech was pretty average, it wasn't bad at all but nothing mindblowing, guitar driven aswell.
12.01.2007 - 20:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I was not aware of that!!!

Well, thanks!

I'm gonna download it right now. By the way, now all the Finnish Death Metalheads are gathered, none of you know a place where I can buy Demigod's Slumber Of Sullen Eyes album? I know it's rare and don't really expect anything, but I can always hope, can't I?
----

12.01.2007 - 20:37
ylside

Are you lucky or what Slumber of Sullen Eyes was just reissued and remastered in 2006 with Unholy Domain as a bonus.
Beside Ebay I didn't find where to order it. So just keep looking for the reissue you never know.
12.01.2007 - 20:39
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Really??? Omfg. I just might be able to order it at my local recordshop. This does mess up my financial plans for the coming month, but I'll be able to bear that just for the sake of Demigod. ylside, I owe you one!
----

12.01.2007 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ylside on 12.01.2007 at 20:09

Well I'm mostly talking about the early sound yes. I don't like all this new brutality and all, I prefer staying away for most new bands!

@Nervel : I really dunno about it containing songs from Slumber, check MA. =)

I agree new bands I dont like that kind of music and metal, because its not my type I like old school and from 80ties and early 90ties

I ceck in MA band sbut i dont know a lot of them so I didnt mention them
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2007 - 11:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
So far this thread is in the top of the page, that's quite a good job by us.

I searched on E-Bay last night for a re-release of that album (i'm talking about Demigod) and I found one! Bought it for only 7,00 euro's (exl shipping costs). How awesome is that!!! It was with the demo's too, I can't wait to have it here and play it out loud.
----

13.01.2007 - 12:20
ylside

Wow that's great news dude.
Just DLed two other finnish death metal materials. Now listening to Phlegethon's Fresco Lungs album, which happens mix wisely heavy metal athmosphere with DM agressivity.
13.01.2007 - 13:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
First, great signature man. That one with the xxx characters remaining.

Phlegethon.. I download them too.
----

15.01.2007 - 05:58
Invoked
Account deleted
While not considered early Finnish death metal, I always considered Beherit to be very close. The low-fi, (extremely) heavy bass production and low growls that characterized early Beherit (before they turned completely electronic) are elements more commonly found in death metal. While some Finnish DM bands would evolve into mainstream, boring forms of their former selves, Beherit only got more interesting with each release.
27.02.2007 - 21:20
ylside

Written by Guest on 15.01.2007 at 05:58

While not considered early Finnish death metal, I always considered Beherit to be very close. The low-fi, (extremely) heavy bass production and low growls that characterized early Beherit (before they turned completely electronic) are elements more commonly found in death metal. While some Finnish DM bands would evolve into mainstream, boring forms of their former selves, Beherit only got more interesting with each release.

Heard Beherit once although I don't recall how they sound...
And goddamnit check Convulse second album a great piece of Death'n'roll !! Addicted to it at the moment.

( Thumb up for Massacra !! )
08.03.2007 - 13:39
ErabatukII

Xysma are gods. Easily one of my fav finnish bands, and one of my favs period. Yeah! is an extremely underrated grind album, that totally incorporated an authentic rock feel into it. Deluxe followed suite and Lotto is without a doubt one of the best rock albums of the 90's. Total cheese, but riff central. I'm still pissed off at how rare Girl on a Beach is, their final album, but maybe it will turn up on the internet to buy or at least d/l.

Funebre also are brilliant death/thrash that should have been more known that what they were. GUTS FOR DINNER.
----
06.04.2007 - 19:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
try this link
http://www.timetombs.net/abhorrence/download.html
Its offical HP of 80ties finish dm band Abhorrence
Try it there are mp3 awsome dm
----

apos;'
[image]
07.04.2007 - 07:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Anyone into the first Sentenced album Shadows Of The Past??? that shit is evil
08.04.2007 - 16:03
ylside

Written by Guest on 07.04.2007 at 07:38

Oh yes.... Me. I love that album so much. Check their EP Journey to Pohjola aswell, similar and great stuff !

Thanks K7 for that link !

Festerday, more old Finnish stuff. Last demo is good.
08.04.2007 - 20:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 08.04.2007 at 16:03

Oh yes.... Me. I love that album so much. Check their EP Journey to Pohjola aswell, similar and great stuff !

Journey To Pohjola is also awesome... I actually own an edition that includes that EP along with Shadows Of The Past
08.04.2007 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.04.2007 at 20:59

Journey To Pohjola is also awesome... I actually own an edition that includes that EP along with Shadows Of The Past

Jajaj I know and about early sentenced Im huge fan of band and man even thay changed style I love it, only band what I love after style change

No Katatotonia, no Paradise Lost, Anorphis after changing
----

apos;'
[image]
08.04.2007 - 22:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 08.04.2007 at 22:15

Written by Guest on 08.04.2007 at 20:59

Jajaj I know and about early sentenced Im huge fan of band and man even thay changed style I love it, only band what I love after style change

No Katatotonia, no Paradise Lost, Anorphis after changing

Well, I have to say that Shadows Of The Past and earlier material are the only Sentenced shit I like...
08.04.2007 - 22:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@SA - I love early Sentenced beter how leither, Its wasoem, I love Trooper EP IM cover somng
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2007 - 17:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im lsitening Convulse now, ist awsome DM, 4 songs from mmyspace page, realy good old school sound, thats why I us eto like DM, when iw as 15 years old damn I acnt stand modern DM ist ehhh
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2007 - 23:28
ylside

The first Convulse album is awesome indeed, also the second, which is pure death'n'roll and a friggin wonderful death'n'roll it is !!