09. Reverence
10. Omen
11. Canvas Of Life
12. Natural Corruption
13. The Quantum Enigma

Top 20 albums of 2014: 17

Additional info
Produced by Joost van den Broek.
Engineered by Joost van den Broek, Maarten de Peijper, and Jos Driessen.
Mixed by Jacob Hansen.
Mastered by Darius van Helfteren.
Cover art and photography by Tonnie Simons & Stefan Heilemann.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Epica are back with a bang on their sixth studio release, the symphonic metal powerhouse abolishing any doubts that they can maintain their powerful presence within the genre.

Read more ››
published 01.05.2014 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
AngelofDeth
Rating:
In many ways, The Quantum Enigma is the obvious successor to 2009's much cherished Design Your Universe. And by that I mean bombastic and over the top symphonics melded with Mark's signature heavy riffing and growls, with Simone's operatic vocals making a surprising, yet welcomed, return. Most praiseworthy of all, while it follows in the footsteps of an obvious predecessor, this album still manages to somehow feel new, as the symphonics explore untamed territories. There is no shortage of original riffs and the vocals are - wait, what? Did Elyze Ryd from Amaranthe replace Simone? No, no she didn't. But she may as well have, meaning that this is also Epica's most 'poppy' effort to date.

Read more ››
published 21.06.2014 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
After the previous album, which was good but not as memorable as the earlier albums, bland and lacking most signature Epica elements, Epica release The Quantum Enigma, and with it they showed us that Epica is back stronger than ever!

A lot of people said that Simone's vocals are growing weak and that she was the weakest part of the band (with which I was hardly disagreeing even then), but this album is for sure highlight of her career. Strong falsettos are back, vocal harmonies arranged like never before (for example in "The Essence of Silence", "Unchain Utopia" and "Natural Corruption") and a lot more.

Read more ››
published 29.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 52 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 126   Visited by: 1445 users
06.05.2014 - 21:33
Ioanna
I'm quite suprised that nobody mentioned anything about the lyrics. It was getting worse and worse with every album but this one is a real flower. Some parts get totally ridiculous, like in Reverence, which is - imho - the most ridiculous song they've ever written. All this 'life advices with Epica' are not - let's say - too deep. I'm very disapponted with this album, Epica was my fav for many years, and it is time to find some new one. I think they've changed too much. Or maybe I'm just too old to swallow a shit like this.
Musically, there are still some great moments, The Fifth Guardian is a true treat, but the rest is so booring. Simone sounds in some parts like in TDC, which means she still can use her awesome voice, she just don't want to.
Sorry for this post, there is much frustration in it. No vote this time -_-
06.05.2014 - 23:47
Rating: 10
I seriously don't get all the drama Simone's voice evolution is causing... I honestly believe her vocals are more powerful then ever before... I agree that, productionwise, her voice gets sometimes kinda drowned by the choirs, but I think that's a deliberate choice, a statement even, in the sense that the band isn't relying as much on Simone's exuberant operatic vocals as it did before, which brings me again to my initial opinion: her vocals got much more powerful, full and flexible. Even if her operatic register in the first albums is as delightful as can be, the truth is that it didn't work so well live (at least I didn't apreciate it as much earlier), and a band is not solely its studio albums. And ever since Simone started experiencing and expanding her voice since TDC, it has been getting much more varied which I think is really good... she can now switch from rock-kind of voice, to soft and intimate vocals, to our beloved operatic head voice which is much more solid than before.

The overall album is quite amazing in my humble opinion, even if it kinda leaves me missing the good old grunts' sections (that are barely present on this one). Looks like they've decided to leave their progressive ambitions on hold for a while and return to a more familiar and traditional Epica sound, even if some inovation can be noticed in the songs' intern structures... not an epiphanic novelty sure, but there's certainly a new spice that can be tasted in their sound, naturally product of its evolution throughout the years.

Lyrically the album is quite great, but I'm biased on this matter since I'm a sucker for philosophical, enigmatic, mindrelated and reality-shaking topics. Although, I've noticed some weak conceptual moments (Reverence and Omen have quite weak lyrics, actually cheesy at times, even if they're still really good songs). Nonetheless, Chemical Insomnia, Sense Without Sanity and The Quantum Enigma's awesomeness restore the balance quite pleasingly I think.

But I talk too much.... Just enjoy the album, and if you don't, enjoy a nice, civilized and thought-through discussion about it.
07.05.2014 - 00:41
Rating: 5
Erik M.
Written by annodomini on 05.05.2014 at 09:14

There's nothing to learn I'm just having good times in trolling the shortmindeds, so that changes nothing, almost every album I voted 9 or 10 have my comment that proves my adoration to it

You're a vote abuser. The thing that you need to learn is not being a vote abuser. If you disagree, then be my guest but you won't be able to vote on MS again.
07.05.2014 - 01:50
HyperDrifter
Anyone know where I can get/buy/download the bonus tracks? Heard some of them on YouTube and they sound awesome, shame they weren't part of the full album. Makes them annoying to get a hold of . I got In All Conscience with the digipack I bought so don't need that one. Need these tracks from somewhere:

Quote:

Dreamscape
Memento
Banish Your Illusion
Mirage of verity
07.05.2014 - 02:31
Rating: 8
Rasa
Written by Erik M. on 07.05.2014 at 00:41

Written by annodomini on 05.05.2014 at 09:14

There's nothing to learn I'm just having good times in trolling the shortmindeds, so that changes nothing, almost every album I voted 9 or 10 have my comment that proves my adoration to it

You're a vote abuser. The thing that you need to learn is not being a vote abuser. If you disagree, then be my guest but you won't be able to vote on MS again.

Erik, it seems that you are more concerned about being a cable knight and 'fighting' abusers rather than discussing music on this site.
07.05.2014 - 09:30
Rating: 9
annodomini
Written by HyperDrifter on 07.05.2014 at 01:50

Anyone know where I can get/buy/download the bonus tracks? Heard some of them on YouTube and they sound awesome, shame they weren't part of the full album. Makes them annoying to get a hold of . I got In All Conscience with the digipack I bought so don't need that one. Need these tracks from somewhere:

Quote:

Dreamscape
Memento
Banish Your Illusion
Mirage of verity

Since you have the digipack, I believe there's nothing wrong in downloading those tracks. It is in various torrent and mp3 website.

I have all except Memento, and it is absolutely amazing. Dreamscape and Banish Your Illusion are my favorite. It could definitelly made in to main album.
----
the riddle wants to be...
07.05.2014 - 12:17
Rating: 6
As much as I enjoy the cheesiness of symphonic/power metal, this album is just too much. I felt like I was watching a Disney movie (are they still taking things from Nightwish!?). Still not a bad album but not a good one either.
07.05.2014 - 15:25
Erik M.
Written by Rasa on 07.05.2014 at 02:31

Erik, it seems that you are more concerned about being a cable knight and 'fighting' abusers rather than discussing music on this site.

Nah, I do both. Mostly I discuss music here, but when someone admits to vote abuse (or when I suspect someone of it) I just can't let it go as it's so annoying to me.
07.05.2014 - 15:31
Erik M.
Written by MaamButterfly on 07.05.2014 at 12:17

As much as I enjoy the cheesiness of symphonic/power metal, this album is just too much. I felt like I was watching a Disney movie (are they still taking things from Nightwish!?). Still not a bad album but not a good one either.

Haha, I know what you mean. I love The Phantom Agony, which apparently is disliked by most people who love this album. Not that surprising then, actually. Don't let this album scare you off if you haven't heard other albums by Epica, because if you like symphonic metal it's very likely that you'll enjoy The Phantom Agony. It's much more subtle, not over-the-top symphonic metal with way better vocals and it's not poppy at all (which this album is), as well as excellent lyrics that are mainly about religion and politics.

The ridiculously bombastic and cheesy ending (outro) of this album made me never want to listen to it again, as it sounded so horribly over-the-top. The appropriate emoticon for my reaction to the ending would be this one:
09.05.2014 - 03:44
Rating: 10
KrobMetal
I couldn't disagree more! I respect the opinion, but I think this is one of their best efforts. I know some folks who are just flat-out against any symphonic elements in metal; it can just get too "pretty" for their tastes. It can certainly be poorly done, but there is a lot of complexity going on here and great musicianship. Simone's vocals are also at their best on this record.

But again, if what you really love is purer death metal and metal-core, etc., I can see what this isn't your cup of tea.
09.05.2014 - 06:45
ohmayhem
Written by KrobMetal on 09.05.2014 at 03:44

I couldn't disagree more! I respect the opinion, but I think this is one of their best efforts. I know some folks who are just flat-out against any symphonic elements in metal; it can just get too "pretty" for their tastes. It can certainly be poorly done, but there is a lot of complexity going on here and great musicianship. Simone's vocals are also at their best on this record.

But again, if what you really love is purer death metal and metal-core, etc., I can see what this isn't your cup of tea.

THIS. 100% agreed. People are jumping on the bandwagon of hate just to do it, I mean if you truly dislike something, cast your vote and leave the page instead of remaining in the threads and bashing those who do like it. It becomes less of a forum of celebration and opinion and more of a forum for attacking others on their musical preferences...
09.05.2014 - 07:46
Written by ohmayhem on 09.05.2014 at 06:45

THIS. 100% agreed. People are jumping on the bandwagon of hate just to do it, I mean if you truly dislike something, cast your vote and leave the page instead of remaining in the threads and bashing those who do like it. It becomes less of a forum of celebration and opinion and more of a forum for attacking others on their musical preferences...

Now having an opinion is 'jumping on the bandwagon of hate'? I thought Nightwish had the most ridiculous fans but now I have seen Epica's fanboys/fangirls are on par.
10.05.2014 - 00:08
ohmayhem
Written by MaamButterfly on 09.05.2014 at 07:46

Now having an opinion is 'jumping on the bandwagon of hate'? I thought Nightwish had the most ridiculous fans but now I have seen Epica's fanboys/fangirls are on par.

You just reiterated my point.
10.05.2014 - 00:47
Nifheim
Nifheim

I think the same. In my opinion, TQE is their best album.
10.05.2014 - 17:22
annodomini
Well, after getting used to this album, I can say that I mostly agree with out. At the moment I will rate Epicas albumas in this order:

Design Your Universe - 10
The Quantum Enigma - 10
The Divine Conspiracy - 9
Requiem for the Indifferent - 8.5 (mostly because of the production. I woould give a strong 9, or even more for songwriting)
Consign to Oblivion - 8.5 (same as with Requiem)
The Phantom Agony - 8
----
12.05.2014 - 19:18
HyperDrifter
Written by angel. on 03.05.2014 at 20:24

^ bullshit ?! such comments make me feel MS has already become a waste of time recently for discussing music with users, discussing music was a bit more fun previously here on MS, as it was based on reasons mostly rather than just adding words like "bullshit" immaturely. Pff !

I have to agree with this, I love this album but I'm not going to disrespect other peoples opinions just because they "disagree" with what I think about this album.
12.05.2014 - 19:22
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by HyperDrifter on 12.05.2014 at 19:18

I have to agree with this, I love this album but I'm not going to disrespect other peoples opinions just because they "disagree" with what I think about this album.

Thanks to your being understanding
----
The Fangirl.
19.05.2014 - 19:51
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
It's sad as a former huge Epica fan, to see this band repeating themselves over and over and over again.
I think the last album I really enjoyed from them is The Divine Conspiracy.
All the songs since then are a constant chuga-chuga-chuga guitar riff, with some symphonic cheesiness here and there, combined with the now overused beauty and the beast vocal formula.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
20.05.2014 - 16:21
Sword_Chant
It's a very ambitious album... there was clearly a significant amount of work put into the album so for effort I would easily rate that aspect as a 9 or 10... but I felt the album lost it's momentum in the second half of the songs and never really recovered. The first half of the album is absolutely flawless though imo. Overall - one of the best releases so far from the year, 4/5
21.05.2014 - 00:42
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Looks like I may have spoken too soon about the vox... I thought I would warm up to them as I listened more but they just keep bothering me. I don't mind poppy vox but they just don't fit here, the music is too 'epic' for them.

Written by Sword_Chant on 20.05.2014 at 16:21

but I felt the album lost it's momentum in the second half of the songs and never really recovered. The first half of the album is absolutely flawless though imo.

100% agree with this. I love the first half of the album but the 2nd half just falls flat. I expected way more from the self-titled track and it turned out just plain forgettable.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.05.2014 - 10:00
annodomini
Written by AngelofDeth on 21.05.2014 at 00:42

Looks like I may have spoken too soon about the vox... I thought I would warm up to them as I listened more but they just keep bothering me. I don't mind poppy vox but they just don't fit here, the music is too 'epic' for them.

Written by Sword_Chant on 20.05.2014 at 16:21

but I felt the album lost it's momentum in the second half of the songs and never really recovered. The first half of the album is absolutely flawless though imo.

100% agree with this. I love the first half of the album but the 2nd half just falls flat. I expected way more from the self-titled track and it turned out just plain forgettable.

This Just proves, that Epica fits for different tastes. For me, 2nd half ir much better than the first one. Even those 5 bonus tracks are amazing. 18 great, more or less equall songs.
----
23.06.2014 - 14:12
Masonics
Pretty much a keeper for these guys, the style is similar to all other records but there is a few nice little variations with the song progression and some aggression. Not to mention how SImone's vocals are less "operatic" than previous records.

My fav song is: "Essense of silence"
26.06.2014 - 10:24
yeah1980
Since "The Divine Conspiracy", the album I discovered Epica with, an album that I totally loved, since that I found the next releases always weaker.
But this one changed the trend, it is al least as good as "Design Your Universe".
Now I'd like to see them live again (and not just to stare at Simone! :-P )!
----
"Be water, my friend" (Bruce Lee)
30.06.2014 - 08:17
ElMarcado
Account deleted
Written by hidden_ninja on 02.05.2014 at 11:44

Wow!!!

This album defines symphonic metal as an artform!!!

It is a complete masterpiece!

And the mixing is an artwork in it's own right, a big applaud for the mixer/studio here!

JUST WOW!!!

PS: THIS SHOULD BE HEARD ON PROPER MONITOR HEADPHONES OR HIGH-END SETUP!

NO. Therion's Vovin deserve that.
02.07.2014 - 22:35
Gelati
I don't listen to much power metal anymore but this is the best album I've heard since Silverthorn by Kamelot which means the best I've heard in literally YEARS. Outstanding album. Just like with any symphonic stuff though, you need to be into that and appreciate it for what it is (I love it having a classical music background and training) and if you don't like it then I could see how it could be overbearing. I loved this one though.
14.07.2014 - 02:40
Opethian
Last album i bothered with was the 'Divine Conspiracy'. Unfortunately i am on a No cheese Diet
09.08.2014 - 00:23
Erik M.
Written by Opethian on 14.07.2014 at 02:40

Last album i bothered with was the 'Divine Conspiracy'. Unfortunately i am on a No cheese Diet

You're better off not checking this one out then. Even more so because of your "diet". But for the record, The Divine Conspiracy is much better than this if you ask me.
19.08.2014 - 04:25
ohmayhem
Quote:
Quote:

NO. Therion's Vovin deserve that.

13.09.2014 - 11:52
Joppe
Steelemeister
The title track is pretty good but the rest of the album seems like filler. Not sure if it's that the rest of songs are really bad or that the title track is really good, anyways the inconsistency is strong on this one.
----
My vision is augmented
13.11.2014 - 00:02
ScnD361
I love this album. My fav track is the tittle track.

Hits total: 40584 | This month: 60