Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2014

Original post

Posted by Boxcar Willy, 02.01.2014 - 20:35
Y'all know how it works. Hop to it.
03.02.2014 - 23:29
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Saiyanity on 03.02.2014 at 16:01

I know it's been mentioned in passing, but just wanted to shine the spotlight on the new Have a Nice Life Record. Really great stuff here.

Agreed. They have a page here too. Have A Nice Life
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.02.2014 - 04:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
https://radiatorhospital.bandcamp.com/album/something-wild

Radiator Hospital | Something Wild | Power pop/pop punk/indie

this is rad.

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.02.2014 - 21:03
InnerSelf
proofread free
This is some mighty nice experimental stuff from a brilliant 18 years old Swedish musician. Looking forward to the end product,
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.02.2014 - 17:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I like this so shut up :0

----
rekt
21.02.2014 - 22:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Beautiful progressive electronic stuff. I live for this kind of retro, sci-fi atmosphere.

Oops, just realised that second track is not off the new one. Oh well, still sounds great.
22.02.2014 - 00:14
IronAngel
That's a great find, Joe. I was recently on a bit of a 70s binge with Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Cluster, Kraftwerk and co. I'll have to add these guys on my list.

Lethe's When Dreams Become Nightmares should appeal to any The 3rd and the Mortal and modern The Gathering fans. In fact, their sound is quite derivative at times, but the album is quite diverse and experimental.

02.03.2014 - 02:24
Vombatus
Potorro

Love this kind of thing, there is no info of the band (I am suspecting something related to Satanic Warmaster as it appeared on the fb page when they were uploaded), but if you guys know anything similar I'd like suggestions
02.03.2014 - 18:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 02.03.2014 at 02:24

Love this kind of thing, there is no info of the band (I am suspecting something related to Satanic Warmaster as it appeared on the fb page when they were uploaded), but if you guys know anything similar I'd like suggestions

I'm not really familiar with the genre but that sounds like dark wave to me. Could try looking into the modern variants of that area.
02.03.2014 - 18:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Probably worth putting this here as many people are a fan of the band.

02.03.2014 - 18:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Whatever here's a ton of shit I've been listening to

Cool jazz-fusion by Snarky Puppy

bandcamp

Interesting ambient/glitch by Yves de Mey

bandcamp

Really really chilled out ambient/electronic by Feldmaus

bandcamp

Absolutely fantastic folk/ambient/downtempo/acoustic/idk by Broads (seriously, this is one of my favorites of the year)

bandcamp

Really soothing ambient/electronic by VTL

bandcamp

Some rather pleasant electrostuff by Escar

bandcamp

Some pretty awesome downtempo/ambient by Valentin Stip

soundcloud

And some nice stuff to zone out to by O (off of Konstellaatio)

soundcloud
06.03.2014 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well I've just become aware of an entire movement of deliberately retro, cinematic 70s / 80s synth-type music. Not sure what such a movement is called, or even it it is one, but I have to say it's all doing very nice things for my romanticised visions of 80s sci-fi films, and otherwise, as well as my love of retro game music and generally overly epic synth melody of this type. Not sure how many people are going to be into this cheesy stuff but just goes to show we can all like a bit of crap.

Found it all on this channel.
10.03.2014 - 18:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/la-dispute-rooms-of-the-house-stream

La Dispute's new album is streaming in full. Haven't listened myself.

----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.03.2014 - 16:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I was really excited when I heard these tracks before the album dropped and couldn't wait to hear the whole thing. Sadly the whole album isn't that great, but these two tracks are awesome. Anyone have some similar reccos?

http://bandcamp.sectionz.com/track/trouble-will-come

http://bandcamp.sectionz.com/track/devil-dont-dance
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.03.2014 - 10:22
toxx
Supreme being
Norwegian Prog/Psychedelic/folk band Tusmørke will release a new record in May 16th, called Riset bak Speilet. One of my absolute favorite bands. And they don't even have a guitar! Their last album, Underjordisk Tusmørke, was a masterpiece in my opinion. Some songs in norwegian and some in english.

This is from an EP released last year:

13.03.2014 - 08:28
toxx
Supreme being
Australian Blues, anyone? A friend told me about this band yesterday, and I just fell in love with it from the first second! Released in february.

22.03.2014 - 20:33
Starchild
Something for the post-rock fans: a beautiful new Moonlit Sailor's album.
23.03.2014 - 00:20
Paz
Elite
New Swans track:

23.03.2014 - 10:33
IronAngel
Sweet noise at the end, above. Alright track, but didn't blow my mind. St. Vincent on backing vocals, by the way. She also has a new solo album out.

26.03.2014 - 17:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Asia has a new album out called Gravitas
----
rekt
04.04.2014 - 19:31
IronAngel
The new Mondkopf album rocks. Slightly industrial electronica (techno?) with dark ambient tones.

Francis Harris' Minutes of Sleep is some delicate microhouse with some jazzy and occasionally ambient sections. It's not creepy-dark, but reminds me of the more pretty, melancholy parts of Silent Hill soundtracks at times.

05.04.2014 - 12:35
Saiyanity
Real nice debut EP from solo project Abandon City. Found this digging around Bandcamp and it was quite the pleasant surprise. Wasn't entirely sure where to put it as it bounces around between post-metal and post-rock so I'm putting it in both the metal rec thread and the non-metal.

Bandcamp

07.04.2014 - 13:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Bvdub. For someone so prolific he manages to keep the quality pretty high. Poppy ambient techno type thing.

An assortment of nice IDM and ambient stuff.

08.04.2014 - 19:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
So Surachai, who made one of my favourite black metal albums last year ('Embraced'), are back this year with something totally different. Sounds like some pretty wacky IDM to use a loose term. Sounds pretty excellent from these songs. Reminds me a bit of 'Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding' sans the insane time signatures.
10.04.2014 - 21:04
Uldreth

Noisy/lo-fi indie rock :>
10.04.2014 - 21:38
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
The first Venetian Snares album in four years is currently in the making (source). June 18th! Mark your calenders people.
10.04.2014 - 22:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Alex F on 10.04.2014 at 21:38
The first Venetian Snares album in four years is currently in the making...

This is good news.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.04.2014 - 13:22
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 07.04.2014 at 13:33

New Bvdub. For someone so prolific he manages to keep the quality pretty high. Poppy ambient techno type thing.
---
An assortment of nice IDM and ambient stuff.
---

Good stuff. You should definitely check out the new Golden Retriever and Valentin Stip albums. Also, We Will Fail, Teebs and Kangding Ray have some nice electronic stuff.

Christina Vantzou released her second LP and it's sweet. A little more classical/melodic than the ambient debut:
11.04.2014 - 14:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 11.04.2014 at 13:22

Good stuff. You should definitely check out the new Golden Retriever and Valentin Stip albums. Also, We Will Fail, Teebs and Kangding Ray have some nice electronic stuff.

Christina Vantzou released her second LP and it's sweet. A little more classical/melodic than the ambient debut:

Very nice indeed. I've had brief listens to Golden Retriever, Teebs and Valentin Stip, all of which sound great. Cheers for the heads up on Kangding Ray, I remember now their OR album really impressed me a few years ago. I see it's on Spotify which is handy.
11.04.2014 - 17:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Necro Deathmort does it again. Except he does it in a totally different way. Not his usual droning dark ambient affair, this time more conventional pounding techno rhythms, except he somehow makes it really listenable and interesting without having to go to a club due to the amount of atmosphere and moody melodies involved. Already one of the best things I've heard this year, but then I am a bit of a fanboy where his stuff is concerned. Music for alien nightclubs, I could definitely see Commander Shepard dancing to this.
12.04.2014 - 11:16
IronAngel
New Orcas (Benoît Pioulard and Rafael Anton Irisarri) is out. It has some straightforward dream pop tracks to it, but still plenty of ambient goodness.

Also, CunninLynguists have an album out, if you're into hip hop. I've yet to hear it but I have enjoyed their previous work.