Metal Storm logo
Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2014

Original post

Posted by Boxcar Willy, 02.01.2014 - 20:35
Y'all know how it works. Hop to it.
01.08.2014 - 02:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Ah! I knew I had at least one guy right. Happy to hear that. But I absolutely disagree, I think the female vocals are just enough on this, I don't need any more. The guy does a decent job .
01.08.2014 - 03:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
The description doesn't sound like something I'd like but it does involve a member of Baroness so... I'll at least look into it.

Eventually.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.08.2014 - 21:44
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
For my fellas who enjoy Carpenter Brut (btw, new EP coming this December and I'm bloody addicted to this teaser snippet - damn you Brut!) and/or Perturbator, I found this little thingie: Metropolis by Nightcrawler. Seems my electronica goes retro obsession is in full run.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.08.2014 - 23:48
LiquidSmoke
Account deleted
Just discovered this guy so I'll share this before it slips my mind. Incredible finger picking and songwriting

05.09.2014 - 21:00
Paz
elite
Aphex Twin's new song has been revealed:

10.09.2014 - 21:57
ANGEL REAPER
This! its damn good synth album :

Mega Drive is somewhat close to Peturbator in term of music ,but maybe somehow less dark .
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.09.2014 - 15:22
Urs Blank
New iamthemorning album - Belighted (Progressive Rock)
26.09.2014 - 10:47
Paz
elite
Opal Onyx are great. Beautiful female vocals, nice electronic touches and all-embracing atmosphere. I fucking adore it. Also THAT cover art...

03.10.2014 - 00:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hard to know what this is, but probably some kind of classical-laden folk. At any rate this could be my non-metal album of the year if successive listens please me as much.

05.10.2014 - 11:39
Ganondox
Unless you are fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it probably won't have much appeal as it's heavily story based being a rock opera, but Destiny: A Tale of Unicorn Wings is a fantastic progressive rock album, the only problem is the vocals are a bit subpar to the music.
07.10.2014 - 05:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
A whole lot of "stay the fuck away" is beaming from that.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.10.2014 - 12:24
Góral
Combo Breaker
Something for fans of Jari Lindholm (Atoma, Enshine, ex-Slumber) - "Drifting Ever Shifting" - a new album by Seas of Years:

21.10.2014 - 01:50
IronAngel
The full album ain't out yet, but the new Grouper is going to be glorious. It's leaked, I haven't heard it, but judging by comments and this song it's leaning more towards the singer-songwriter end of the spectrum she's always balanced, with less ambient. Suits me just fine, I always thought Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill was her best album.

28.10.2014 - 07:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by IronAngel on 21.10.2014 at 01:50

The full album ain't out yet, but the new Grouper is going to be glorious. It's leaked, I haven't heard it, but judging by comments and this song it's leaning more towards the singer-songwriter end of the spectrum she's always balanced, with less ambient. Suits me just fine, I always thought Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill was her best album.

Sounds really nice!

btw did you listen to the new Orcas ... a bit of a curve ball compared to the debut, with the drums and all!

----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.10.2014 - 10:53
IronAngel
Written by InnerSelf on 28.10.2014 at 07:19

btw did you listen to the new Orcas ... a bit of a curve ball compared to the debut, with the drums and all!

I did, yeah. I was a little disappointed; it's a good album and I would have been excited if it had been some generic indie dream pop band doing it. But for the most part, it lacked the fragile magic of the debut. Filament works really well, but especially Infinite Stillness and Half Light are way too in your face and vanilla for these guys. I mean, I really like Half Light as a song, but it just feels out of place here. And there's nothing like Until Then here. Still, good album, just not AotY material!
28.10.2014 - 21:00
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by IronAngel on 28.10.2014 at 10:53

I did, yeah. I was a little disappointed; it's a good album and I would have been excited if it had been some generic indie dream pop band doing it. But for the most part, it lacked the fragile magic of the debut. Filament works really well, but especially Infinite Stillness and Half Light are way too in your face and vanilla for these guys. I mean, I really like Half Light as a song, but it just feels out of place here. And there's nothing like Until Then here. Still, good album, just not AotY material!

My thoughts exactly! I learned to like it for what it is though, and more of Benoit's vocals is never a bad thing, loved his performance on Capillaries/Selah.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.11.2014 - 22:07
Góral
Combo Breaker
Sleeping Pulse, the new project of Antimatter's Mick Moss and Luis Fazendeiro (Painted Black):

07.11.2014 - 21:43
IronAngel
Anyone listened to the DJ Shadow EP? If he can pull of an LP of similar quality, I will be very pleased. Obviously not Endtroducing, but there's never been another Endtroducing, so...

08.11.2014 - 14:44
Ilham
Giant robot

Click on the cover for bandcamp link.

Ritual Howls - Turkish Leather
Post-punk revival

---

Lonely The Brave - The Day's War
Pop rock with PPR touches

08.11.2014 - 15:44
Urs Blank
Ritual Howls is most likely something I'm going to go back to, thanks for the discovery

For those of you who like 70's Oriental influenced Psychedelic Rock like Agitation Free or Kraan, this Thaï collective delivers some really cool jams:

08.11.2014 - 15:52
Ilham
Giant robot
My pleasure. I love this ^ cover. I started listening to it, you can't do more exotic than that. It's nice background music.
08.11.2014 - 22:35
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
My current number 2 album of the year; Bestiary by Hail Mary Mallon (a collab project between Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, and DJ Big Wiz). Absolutely perfect beats, unbelievable flow, and it doesn't lose appeal through multiple listens. Aesop linked to a full upload of the album on his FB page, which is pretty cool of them to do. Check it

11.11.2014 - 04:15
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Another super cool non-metal album I recently found is "I" by Extreme Precautions. It's a chilling electronic album that creates such a dense and bleak atmosphere that it will have you engulfed for its' entirety without a doubt. If dark electronic music is up your alley, fuckin check this shit out (the image has the link embedded in it: I stole Ilham's method for linking shit).

15.11.2014 - 22:47
Ilham
Giant robot
^As long as you post nice music, you can steal my "technique" all you want Alex. I wrote down the name of that band, I'm interested.

---
Click on the cover for bandcamp link.

Pity Sex - Fest Of Love
Indie rock, post-rock-y at times.
It was released in 2013, but fuck da police. It's cute, melodic, melancholic, and chill.

15.11.2014 - 23:11
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Ilham on 15.11.2014 at 22:47

It was released in 2013, but fuck da police.

Yeah I always wondered, why can't we turn these threads in "new album recommendations that I found in 2014"? =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
15.11.2014 - 23:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Karlabos on 15.11.2014 at 23:11

Yeah I always wondered, why can't we turn these threads in "new album recommendations that I found in 2014"? =P

Haha yeah, I like your interpretation. I mean, it's already so hard to push the non-metal envelope around here, if I go post that in the "indie rock" thread, if there there is one, it's going to go unnoticed. I will treat this thread like a "non metal recommendations from the recent couple of years" .
16.11.2014 - 12:15
IronAngel
True men listen to emo, so here's some new Prawn and Pianos Become the Teeth. Both keep it delightfully old-school with the inclusion of post-rock elements, and gone is the screamo of earlier PBtT albums:

16.11.2014 - 21:06
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Alex F on 11.11.2014 at 04:15

Another super cool non-metal album I recently found is "I" by Extreme Precautions. It's a chilling electronic album that creates such a dense and bleak atmosphere that it will have you engulfed for its' entirety without a doubt. If dark electronic music is up your alley, fuckin check this shit out (the image has the link embedded in it: I stole Ilham's method for linking shit).

Yep this was cool. Thanks. Recommended if you need a break for metal violence and in need for electronic violence.
21.11.2014 - 01:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Paz on 26.09.2014 at 10:47

Opal Onyx are great. Beautiful female vocals, nice electronic touches and all-embracing atmosphere. I fucking adore it. Also THAT cover art...

A bit late, but I finally listened to this. Beautiful album, thanks. I just love those vocals, and that art. I'm repeating what you said, I'll stop here.
28.11.2014 - 02:50
wormdrink414
elite
Picked this up a few weeks ago, shit's a jam: