Metal Storm logo
Smooth Sailing On 70000 Tons Of Metal 2014

Event: 70000 Tons Of Metal 2014
Written by: D.T. Metal
Published: 26.12.2013

Galleries:

70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise 2014 - Day Four by D.T. Metal (193)
70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise 2014 - Day Three by D.T. Metal (173)
70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise 2014 - Day Two by D.T. Metal (304)
70000 Tons Of Metal Cruise 2014 - Day One by D.T. Metal (201)

That magical time of the year - snow covered mountains and the crisp winter breeze begs for cuddling up in front of the fireplace reading a good book or playing Grand Theft Auto V.

Sounds cozy, doesn't it? Well, the GTA part for sure, but other than that, screw the winter, I could live without it. People drive like complete idiots and newsflash - just because you drive a SUV doesn't mean you are the king of the road - your car slides just as much on ice as anyone else's.

Once again, I had to make that tough choice:

Winter Wonderland vs Tropical destination

Wild guess on where I will be at the end of January? Yap, once again Metal Storm will be covering the 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise. And just in case you haven't heard about the event, here are some highlights on what the cruise is all about:

• 2000 passengers - 40 bands - 1 cruise ship
  • workshops and clinics taught by artists
  • unrestricted access to all live shows
  • bars that never close
  • Metal Karaoke - heavily frequented by the "rockstars"
  • All-Star jam (click HERE for 2013's awesomeness)

You also have the opportunity to mingle with the artists since there really is no backstage area. For example; while on a regular cruise one has assigned seating and a particular time to go to dinner, not so on 70000 Tons Of Metal. The way it works is - you show up at the restaurant and will be seated wherever there is space at a table. In short, if Overkill's Bobby Blitz happens to be sitting all by himself, the chances of YOU being his dining partner are roughly 99.5%. How's that for interacting with the artists? In all fairness, the ship also has a casual dining buffet (self-seating), where your chances of dining with Bobby are not as favorable, unless he sits on a table next to you.

Enough about the food on the ship, let's talk about the drinks. Now, while the food is free on the ship (except Johnny Rockets with a surcharge of $ 4.95), the drinks are unfortunately not. Prices vary depending on your choice of poison - but they are comparable to the price you pay at regular bar. Well, maybe not the dives around the corner but you know what I mean.

The cruise once again will be on Royal Caribbean's Majesty Of The Seas, a cruise ship in their fleet's Sovereign class, but this will be the last 70000 Tons Of Metal on her. Sadly, Skipper and Organizer Andy from Ultimate Music Cruises Inc. announced that "the old lady" won't be available after the 2014 edition of the World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise. This sucks, but hey, at least we are sailing on her to a new destination - Mexico's Costa Maya, a port about one hundred miles south of Playa del Carmen. The destination location was actually decided by cruisers who were fully paid by a certain date. There were five choices and Costa Maya won by a slim margin.

Bands, yes there are bands as well. This time around, Ultimate Music Cruises Inc. is keeping a tight lid on which artists will be performing on the cruise and with just about a month before the voyage, only 21 out of 40 bands have been announced so far. (as of 26 Dec. 2013). I am confident that the organizer WILL pull some pretty awesome bands out of their hat and give the Majesty Of The Seas her proper send off.

Make sure you check the list of artists to keep up with who will be playing on the cruise, but there are some pretty nice surprises on there already. Below are some bands I am looking forward too and I might update this as more bands will get announced:

• Carcass - dooooh. While I will miss Michael Amott in the line-up, I am still looking very much forward seeing them live again.
  • Finntroll - always fun to watch.
  • Obituary - does that really need an explanation?
  • Raven - I am old, leave me alone.
  • Satyricon - haven't seen in yeeeeears, hell yes.
  • and my beloved THRASH is nicely represented once again.

If this seems like something you might enjoy, click HERE for booking information and I will assure you - you will have the time of your live.

Ship Ahoy once again!

Written on 26.12.2013 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

• Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 98 users
    05.01.2014 - 20:53
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Picks whit girls in swimming suit please
    ----
    Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    06.01.2014 - 16:30
    D.T. Metal

Written by Bad English on 05.01.2014 at 20:53

Will do
    08.01.2014 - 20:28
    BitterCOld
    The Ancient One
    Pics of drunken revelry, bitte! Have a great time.
    ----
    get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
    09.01.2014 - 06:22
    D.T. Metal

Written by BitterCOld on 08.01.2014 at 20:28

This time we will have two photographers so we will do our best
    09.01.2014 - 13:47
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    Written by D.T. Metal on 09.01.2014 at 06:22

Written by BitterCOld on 08.01.2014 at 20:28

This time we will have two photographers so we will do our best

Nice. One more thing, tel all those drunkards to sing,

"We'll pour out the beer for the one not here
    Cheers, me b'y, once more.
    Cheers once more, me b'y.

It's a long road and a sorrowed load.
    It's a long road and a sorrowed load"

So haul on your mugs and growler jugs........"

and take photos of them. It will be good experience altogether.
    09.01.2014 - 15:20
    Spirit Molecule
    spirit molecule
    Dayums! That's quite expensive. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'd probably take a metal festival over this, unless we're on the line up.
    ----
    If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
    Don't click here
    09.01.2014 - 17:57
    BitterCOld
    The Ancient One
    Written by Spirit Molecule on 09.01.2014 at 15:20

Dayums! That's quite expensive. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'd probably take a metal festival over this, unless we're on the line up.

it is expensive, but it isn't. you're combining the festival with a cruise ship. D.T. can confirm, but it covers lodging (small rooms, but not tents) as well as your basic/primary food. I.E. you have your three squares a day, but you can opt to pay up for more exclusive dining.

So the number is big, but what it covers is also a lot more than simply some bands and a tiny plot for a tent.
    ----
    get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
    09.01.2014 - 19:25
    D.T. Metal

Yes, I take the "comfort" in regards of accommodations any day over sleeping in a tent.
    In regards of the food - you can eat 24/7 on the ship and the "exclusive dining" is more like if you want top shelf lobster you have to pay a small surcharge.
    10.01.2014 - 08:38
    Spirit Molecule
    spirit molecule
    Written by BitterCOld on 09.01.2014 at 17:57

it is expensive, but it isn't. you're combining the festival with a cruise ship. D.T. can confirm, but it covers lodging (small rooms, but not tents) as well as your basic/primary food. I.E. you have your three squares a day, but you can opt to pay up for more exclusive dining.

So the number is big, but what it covers is also a lot more than simply some bands and a tiny plot for a tent.

Jep, I understand it's a vacation, so it's not bad if you look at it like that, but I'd still take a metal festival over this, as the music is what I'm interested in. I totally get why people would go for this though. I probably would if I had money and was staying in the US
    ----
    If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
    Don't click here
    19.01.2014 - 11:01
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by D.T. Metal on 06.01.2014 at 16:30

Written by Bad English on 05.01.2014 at 20:53

Will do

Second that call for the swimming suit pics.
    ----
    The sun shines over The Fool...

Hits total: 6846 | This month: 9