Metal Storm logo
Mikael Åkerfeldt - Updates On New Album

With their new album expected this year, guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive band Opeth spoke to Decibel magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's follow-up to 2011's Heritage. Åkerfeldt revealed that he plans to enhance at least a few of the new Opeth tracks with strings.

"I have about six songs done and another two or three just started," he said, "plus a million ideas that I haven't processed yet. Some songs are simple and stripped-down, while others are epic in the true sense of the word. Business as usual, hopefully with unusual music."

He adds: "Some of these things could easily be done with synthetic sounds or effects, but recording the Storm Corrosion LP with Steven Wilson made me realize what a massive difference it can mean to incorporate the real shit. I'm semi-pretentious in my songwriting and sometimes I go all in. I think it's time for 'all in' with strings and the full monty. Hopefully it won't be a mess."

About a new song described as a 'Goblin ripoff': "It's a jam I came up with during the Mastodon/Ghost B.C. tour, that we ended up soundchecking. After a few days, you'd hear people in the corridors humming it. It's a fucking hit! But basically it's a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in Goblin's direction. And to avoid confusion, the song is even called 'Goblin'. My rip-off deteriorates mid-song and becomes fusion-esque darkened prog rock like Mahavishnu or ELP (yikes!). But it swings! It really does."

Speaking to the Swedish newspaper Expressen last year, and asked if the forthcoming effort would be heavier or softer than Heritage, Mikael said: "Maybe a little bit heavier. Not death metal heavy, but hard rock/heavy metal heavy. There's also lots of progressive elements and acoustic guitars, but also more sinister-sounding riffs."

Source: ultimate-guitar.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 06.01.2014 by deadone

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 32   Visited by: 540 users
06.01.2014 - 13:26
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I'm definitely excited. I liked Heritage, but it's definitely one of their low points. Here's hoping that the new album is better.
----
06.01.2014 - 13:39
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I didn't like Heritage, but this release "might" be better, hopefully!
06.01.2014 - 14:18
Marikanator
I liked Heritage even though I really missed the death metal influence. I'm still curious and excited about this release though
06.01.2014 - 14:50
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
I hope that this album will be a 'missing link' between Watershed and Heritage.
06.01.2014 - 14:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It will be decent at least
06.01.2014 - 15:21
mordecai
Account deleted
Written by Hex_Omega on 06.01.2014 at 14:50

I was thinking the same thing.
Hail Mike!:metal:
06.01.2014 - 16:25
UnknownCheese
Only semi-pretentious in your songwriting, huh?
06.01.2014 - 16:27
Lethrokai

This. Heritage had the potential to be something brilliant, had it just had a little more energy.

Am I the only one who feels like there will be quite a similar feel between this release and Cynic's upcoming record?
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
06.01.2014 - 17:35
Arcesse Eum
I liked Heritage (after numerous listens), but I was hoping they would return to the heavier basics... oh well. For me, Heritage was redeemed when I heard it live and realized it's just way heavier in person than on record. With any luck this new record will still convey that 'live' feeling of heaviness, with or without death-metal aesthetics. If the album ends up sub-par, I'd wait for the next live album down the road to really get the spirit of the proggy stuff.

The strings sound cool, Hex Omega is a nice example of what they have done with strings.
----
As above, so below.
06.01.2014 - 17:57
Ocean Sage
At the Opeth show I saw, they played Heritage incredibly heavy. I think now that the production of the album was the problem really.
06.01.2014 - 18:03
euronymous
HERITAGE WAS AWESOME ALBUM !
06.01.2014 - 18:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, comparing with Heritage here is getting bit pointless.

Let's hope(for Opeth fans especially) that they deliver GOOD album. Other than that, i dont care much.
06.01.2014 - 19:20
Erik M.

Too bad both are far from brilliant. Ghost Reveries was their last masterpiece in my opinion and sadly I don't think their 2014 release will be anything near a masterpiece, having read what Mikael said about the album. It simply doesn't appeal to me a whole lot. I do think it will be an improvement upon Heritage though, which is at least something.
06.01.2014 - 20:28
Now Mikael, it's time to record another masterpiece, it's been nearly 10 years since the last one, way too long !
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
06.01.2014 - 22:20
God Alone
I'm not that intrigued, honestly...
06.01.2014 - 22:27
Opethian
Written by Ocean Sage on 06.01.2014 at 17:57

At the Opeth show I saw, they played Heritage incredibly heavy. I think now that the production of the album was the problem really.

I was about to type that out as well! If its on the same path as Heritage, those live moments would transcend into a really Heavy Prog album. Fingers crossed for this new record
06.01.2014 - 22:56
Ocean Sage
Written by Opethian on 06.01.2014 at 22:27

Written by Ocean Sage on 06.01.2014 at 17:57

I was about to type that out as well! If its on the same path as Heritage, those live moments would transcend into a really Heavy Prog album. Fingers crossed for this new record

Yeah totally. They need a live sound. They made EVERY song off Heritage sound just as heavy as the old songs. It was awesome. This is no reason other than their own doing that is would turn out lacking. "The Lines In My Hand" sounded unbelievable, the highlight for me. Super heavy Mastodon-like prog stuff.
07.01.2014 - 05:11
Mattybu
Based on these statements it is very hard to get excited or have any sort of high expectations for this album. Which I suppose isn't always a bad thing, but still.
07.01.2014 - 05:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Meh...
07.01.2014 - 06:04
theembryo
"basically it's a not-so-subtle headbanging-type nod in Goblin's direction"

That has me looking quite forward to the release, thanks to deadone for this news post
07.01.2014 - 06:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Looking forward to what these guys have in store.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.01.2014 - 07:21
Crème fraiche
I think shit's gonna get cray with this one guys.
07.01.2014 - 08:15
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Never in my life have I ever been disappointed with Opeth record and I have no doubts that this new one won't be the first. Sounds pretty intriguing!
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
07.01.2014 - 10:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow, he knows how to get people excited and make them pre-order Opeth's new album...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.01.2014 - 13:30
MikeVonDoom
Guys please forget about the Heritage sound and bring back your prog death!
07.01.2014 - 19:05
TheLostChord
Definitely excited. I think the important thing for him and every other musician is to do what they feel. That's one thing I like about Opeth. The albums are usually unexpected, original and have a sincerity to them because they are written from feeling, not with the goal of trying to sound a certain way. This album should be good as long as Mike and the band are doing what they want. It gets old when a band tries to do the same sound over and over. Granted, I liked their Death Metal stuff the best, but it's all quite good.
07.01.2014 - 23:03
The Galactician
Heritage was OK but was missing something that I crave in Opeth records, and that's hooks. As long as the new record has great melodies and hooks I could really care less how heavy it is.
08.01.2014 - 00:00
I cant wait for a new album from the masters! I cant fault or complain about a single Opeth album, every single album is so different, thats why they are so good, not the same shit, different day like so many people seem to want. They show so much creativity and diversity and thats what makes me want to keep listening to Opeth. Every single Opeth album has a different feel and vibe depending on the mood your in, depends on which album i like to hear. Cant wait for another one to add to the collection. I cant understand why people always want a new album to be like the last one or one before that, change is good! If you dont like it, dont buy it and complain about it!
08.01.2014 - 11:53
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by TheLostChord on 07.01.2014 at 19:05

Definitely excited. I think the important thing for him and every other musician is to do what they feel. That's one thing I like about Opeth. The albums are usually unexpected, original and have a sincerity to them because they are written from feeling, not with the goal of trying to sound a certain way. This album should be good as long as Mike and the band are doing what they want. It gets old when a band tries to do the same sound over and over. Granted, I liked their Death Metal stuff the best, but it's all quite good.

Well said. This is pretty much exactly the way I feel about things.
----
08.01.2014 - 23:52
Sr Tumnus
"sinister-sounding riff"!!!
----
Damn is good!

Hits total: 5006 | This month: 10