03. Sewer Chewer
04. Ghoul Hunter
05. Numbskull
06. Boneless
07. Maniaxe
08. Mechanized Death
09. The End?
10. What a Wonderful World [Louis Armstrong cover]

So you like old school Thrash AND Carcass? And then you say you like to disembowel various poser Black Metallers? And you like horror, especially old school Horror ala that peddled by the infamous Hammer studio?

Well come right into the world of Ghoul's Maniaxe album.

The basic formula for the album is to take a lot of catchy old school Thrash Metal riffs and mix it with Death Metal's groove, vocal style and occasionally drums. The main vocals are straight out of the Jeff Walker school of growls. Like early Carcass, most of the rest of the band has a sing along too, in a variety of undecipherable stomach-churning growls.

The album is very much tongue in cheek and tells the tale of a bunch of ghouls living in a cemetery in Creepsylvania, very much a typical and impoverished Balkans country. Opposing the ghouls is their arch enemy, the Ghoul Hunter and his robot. The band also has a bit of fun at the expense of Black Metallers and the last song is a twisted version of "What A Wonderful World".

As can be expected the riffs are pure head-banging moshpit fun, especially the song "Numbskull," which is most definitely an anthem for anyone who likes moshy metal but doesn't take themselves too seriously.

The production is rough and that's a good thing as it takes you back to the glory days of old thrash and early Death Metal (think early Venom, Death and Obituary and, of course, Carcass).

With Death Metal becoming ever more complicated and challenging to listen to, Ghoul's Maniaxe offers a glimpse back to a simpler time when Death and Thrash metal focused on song writing and vibe as opposed to the mindless technicality and brutality.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by deadone | 04.01.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 43 users
08.01.2014 - 03:34
Mattybu
Nice review dude, album sounds pretty cool, may have to check it out.
08.01.2014 - 04:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Mattybu on 08.01.2014 at 03:34

Nice review dude, album sounds pretty cool, may have to check it out.

Ghoul is pretty damn fine if you ask me. I'd definitely check it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.05.2014 - 22:03
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Good review minus the "poser Black Metallers" line, which I obviously take offense to. Calling someone a poser is just dumb. Either way I will check this out when I get a chance
07.05.2014 - 22:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 07.05.2014 at 22:03

Good review minus the "poser Black Metallers" line, which I obviously take offense to. Calling someone a poser is just dumb. Either way I will check this out when I get a chance

Lel, no wonder deadone likes this so much.
03.03.2015 - 01:03
Rating: 8
Tomas Piller
Just listening to this and it's fantastic, it sounds like...a healthy mix of Vektor, The Crown, and something else - the vitriolic gore in your face
Very enjoyable. And those lyrics...just sick, lol

Edit: Just read the Ghoul Hunter lyrics and loled a lot:
--
"I was bound and gagged in the dining room
Surrounded by the funk of fetid breath
The quartet of maniacs hunched over me
And forced me to listen to Anthrax and Megadeth"

Hits total: 3785 | This month: 17