07. Half A Marathon Man
08. X Marks The Spot
09. Love
10. Larger Than Life
11. No Pain [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
R Lewis
Rating:
Sonata Arctica are back with a new album that, at least externally, relives the glory of the past times. A new album with the flavour of the old: old logo, old artwork style and old wolves' theme are back. What about the inside?

Read more ››
published 09.03.2014 | Comments (35)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 831 users
09.01.2014 - 17:58
Rating: 7
BlankFile
Im really looking forward to this one. Tony Kakko said this album will be more like the "old" Sonata, more Power Metal.
09.01.2014 - 18:36
kaspair
Great news!
----
Last FM
11.01.2014 - 18:03
morwen
Written by BlankFile on 09.01.2014 at 17:58

Im really looking forward to this one. Tony Kakko said this album will be more like the "old" Sonata, more Power Metal.

Wow, I hope you're right!
14.01.2014 - 08:09
Rating: 8
Stunning Cactus
Fuck yeah! I love Sonata! Been recently jamming out to their "Silence" album and I hope it sounds kind of like that.
14.01.2014 - 15:55
Luneth
Account deleted
This album could be the best of the year if it combined elements of all their albums. Ecliptica and Silence was of course their best work, very melodic and powerful. Winterheart's Guild had touches of brilliance but was definitely a change in different, interesting direction. Unia and Days of Grays now...well, they are growers and have some good songs so if this album has a bit of everything, it will be great.
24.01.2014 - 23:31
Dargor
A sample of The Wolves Die Young from iTune.
It's still not enough for me to form an opinion, but so far I somewhat enjoy what I hear, especially the chorus. I hope that the rest of the album is heavier tho.
24.01.2014 - 23:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
There's a good chance that all songs have that 1:30 sampler on iTunes, most likely the stores of central European countries.

Pre-listening session for the album has already taken place for journalists, and the "return to the roots" talk isn't to be put too much weight on as usual. It seems to be a return to the more straight forward Sonata Arctica though. (Source: KaaosZine)
25.01.2014 - 15:35
FeskarN
That sample sounds really good. Sounds like days of grays and some Reckoning Night mixed together. Think I will buy this album after all
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
31.01.2014 - 19:10
Rating: 8
Hopefully the luck of the logo will snap the band out of a funk.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
07.02.2014 - 05:59
Darth Revan
I do hope we're done with the whole emo-quasi-progressive garbage phase. Because Stones Grow Her Name... my god. Sometimes you don't need to look farther than the cover of an album to know it'll suck.
07.02.2014 - 08:17
Rating: 9
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
New single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Xmwaf_Tog
(radio edit)
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
08.02.2014 - 16:59
Dargor
Up to now, I'm really happy with this song. It's pretty simple, but very enjoyable for the genre. The melodies, the sounds, all of it fells like Reckoning Night part 2.
08.02.2014 - 20:43
FeskarN
Written by Dargor on 08.02.2014 at 16:59

Up to now, I'm really happy with this song. It's pretty simple, but very enjoyable for the genre. The melodies, the sounds, all of it fells like Reckoning Night part 2.

Indeed, this sound like that could have been the album after Reckoning Night, Tony said this in a recent interview.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
17.02.2014 - 18:23
BlankFile
I really enjoy the new song "The Wolves Die Young". The chorus is awsome and the song structure in general is well made. Still, i really hope the rest of the album sounds even better than this songs. A mix between Silence and Ecliptica is something Sonata fans are dying to ear for several years!
17.03.2014 - 06:20
mikeprado30
I just would wish another happy-keyboard-power-fest like the one heard in Winterheart's Guild
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
25.03.2014 - 21:16
DonMoenning
It's really hit and miss. Half of the songs on here are better than any track not named "Flag In the Ground" off of their last two albums. Then again, the other half of the tracks on here are that modern, un-listenable SA that plagued the last two.

"The Wolves Die Young", "Running Lights", "Blood", and "Half A Marathon Man" show that Tony Kakko can still write elite-level songs. "Blood" really might be the best power metal song he's written since Reckoning Night's material. Parts of "What Did You Do in the War, Dad?" (despite the atrocious song title and sappy lyrics) bring that "Champagne Bath"-esque neoclassical power metal feeling that's been missing for a decade. When the material is working, it truly feels like they're back. Some songs make you pause and go, "damn, finally!"

Unfortunately, songs like "Take One Breath", "Love", and "X Marks the Spot" are hard to take seriously because they're either boring, lame, or downright bizarre. The 14-minute closer "Larger Than Life" feels like punishment for making it through the album. Weird, directionless, and 7 minutes too long. The net result is that 1/2 the tracks here are pretty much a mandatory "skip".

Overall it's a mixed bag. What's good is great, but what's bad is some of their worst material yet. Still, it is a considerable step up from the last two, and can be debated that it's their best since Reckoning Night, as I find it pretty on-par with Unia.
26.03.2014 - 01:26
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
All bias aside... after one listen to the album, I am in love with every song. This rarely happens for me. The new album is just astonishingly good, I'm very happy.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
26.03.2014 - 03:04
^+1 This thing is amazing.
27.03.2014 - 19:13
Dargor
My verdict after 3 spins (for what its worth):
I am surprised, this is a pretty decent album! Way better than SGHN, much better than Unia and TDoG, not entirely on par with the first 4 albums.
Still, I like it very much, especially the first half which feels more like old Sonata. The other half feels more like new Sonata which I don't really mind. A few moments in the second half feels somewhat out of place but doesn't bother me much after getting used to the last 3 albums.

To me this is easily a 7.5, probably an 8.

Would buy and listen more!
28.03.2014 - 11:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Certianly better than that Stones Whatever It's Called, but nowhere near as good as the other albums except for Unia, possibly. I kinda liked Unia though and absolutely loved Days of Grays.

There's some great stuff here and there, but also a lot of boring passages.
----
28.03.2014 - 15:36
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Heaps better than SGHN, but... a long way to go for this band, my rating would be around 6.8, so 7.
28.03.2014 - 22:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a wasit of time ... why this band cant split up ....
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.03.2014 - 22:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 28.03.2014 at 22:16

Probably because they're popular, get to tour around the world, regularly sell out big venues, and get to write the kind of music they want with strong label support.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.03.2014 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.03.2014 at 22:53

Written by Bad English on 28.03.2014 at 22:16

Probably because they're popular, get to tour around the world, regularly sell out big venues, and get to write the kind of music they want with strong label support.

true, strong labble support but same way we can ask is that lable cares about true metal or money?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.03.2014 - 23:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 28.03.2014 at 23:23
true, strong labble support but same way we can ask is that lable cares about true metal or money?

Why does it matter? The fans, band, and label all benefit from the way things are going right now... or is that "false metal"?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.03.2014 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.03.2014 at 23:31

Why does it matter? The fans, band, and label all benefit from the way things are going right now... or is that "false metal"?

its euro flower metal in its worst form
----

apos;'
[image]
29.03.2014 - 00:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 29.03.2014 at 00:20

I'm not a fan of the stuff myself, but there are far more people cheering in the audience when it comes to live performances than there are people picketing outside because the band isn't "true metal".
----
29.03.2014 - 00:33
mikeprado30
Written by Bad English on 29.03.2014 at 00:20

RavenKing's follow-up?
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
29.03.2014 - 08:52

What fucking true metal?
29.03.2014 - 10:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just have to say that, even though it's cheesy as hell, "Half a Marathon Man" is insanely catchy! I'm going to a party tonight. I'm going to be drunk. I'll probably play air guitar to that cheese fest.
----

Hits total: 18147 | This month: 41