11. Radioactive [Imagine Dragons cover] [iTunes bonus]
12. Summertime Sadness [Lana del Ray cover] [iTunes bonus]
13. Let Her Go [Passenger cover] [iTunes bonus]
14. Dirty Dancer [Enrique Iglesias cover] [iTunes bonus]
15. And We Run [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
16. Silver Moonlight [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
17. Covered By Roses [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
18. Tell Me Why [evolution track / audio commentary] [iTunes bonus]
+ Paradise (What About Us?) [feat. Tarja Turunen] [video] [iTunes premium bonus]

Welcome the New Year with class - welcome the New Year with Within Temptation.

They tested a path of 80's rock and pop influences in 2011, but The Unforgiving brought them conflicting responses. 2014 signals a return to the heavier and more symphonic style we had the pleasure to listen to some years ago, but the soul of the last record hasn't been totally trashed, since the new album Hydra blends tradition and experimentation.

And it's that fearless experimentation which hits the listener in the face already in the starting tracks, disguised as fan-feared featurings. While the work with Tarja Turunen comes quite natural and the collaborations with ex-Killswitch Engage's Howard Jones and Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner can be unexpected, yet not shocking, the one with rap star Xzibit is. "And We Run" is your typical Within Temptation symphonic semi-ballad, until Xzibit brings his performance that, while lyrically questionable, since hearing a "mothaf*cka" in a song of this kind is definitely clashing - is musically awesome. Therefore, making it the most dreaded album track, but one of the probable favorites of every open-minded fan.

With that being said, Hydra is basically a typical Within Temptation album, full of the catchy keyboard-driven melodies that made the band's fortune - and that also brought the most passionate criticisms due to their explicit radio-friendliness.

And while the guitar work could be improved, especially in the sometimes monotonous rhythm sections and in the short, few and low-mixed solos, what is impossible to improve is Sharon den Adel's stunning vocal performance. The co-founder/singer delivers once again with her very own emotional vocals; soft as velvet, though powerful as hell when needed. But that was sure-fire, wasn't it?

Hydra brings back some classic Within Temptation trademarks, as the huge amount of orchestrations which were subdued on The Unforgiving due to the modernization of the sound, the bombastic heaviness deadened in the last albums and, in "Silver Moonlight", the growls that will cause nostalgia in every long-time fan of the early days. But be warned: do not approach this release expecting a pure gothic album a la 1997's Enter; you'll be disappointed.

With Hydra, Within Temptation carry on in their own way, unconcerned of the boundaries imposed by the expectations of that non-constructive part of the audience that would like to hear the same songs recorded over and over again in the same style. This brings to the fact that the problem with this release consists in the close-minded outlook of the metal community, which too often associates the word "mainstream" with "crap", and therefore not giving any real chance to the music itself.

This may not be the best work of the band, but another pearl in the necklace these talented musicians are assembling.

Written on 09.01.2014 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
Most people have heard of the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Seems like Within Temptation are familiar with it too, as they've mostly stuck to their guns with the winning formula of 80's pop-influenced symphonic rock over soaring female vocals as per their previous album The Unforgiving, while trying to push the envelope a bit by featuring high profile performers in their latest album Hydra.

Read more ››
published 12.04.2014 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 39   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 465 users
10.01.2014 - 03:54
Saiyanity

Glad to hear the Xzibit feature is enjoyable and not just awkward and out of place. I dig a fair amount of Xzibit's work.
10.01.2014 - 04:56
Rating: 10
Enissa

Thanks for the review, I'm anticipating Hydra with a lot of expectations, since it got so much good reviews...
10.01.2014 - 05:20
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think I'll give a try to this one... and their first albums as well, I used to listen to a few singles of this band only.
10.01.2014 - 06:18
Susan
Smeghead
Excellent review! I can't wait to compare it to the actual music. Only a few more weeks I must say, I'm a huge fan but still... I'm even more excited now after reading this.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.01.2014 - 09:31
PocketMetal

The last one was so boring , hope this is better ... your review makes me wanna give it a try.
10.01.2014 - 10:07
Ivor
Staff
After the last album I've definitely am waiting for the new one. Though I've learned to never expect too much from any band's new release, I'm feeling quite good about it. Especially after reading your review.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
10.01.2014 - 18:23
Wukk

I've never listened to Within Temptation, but I'll definitely be listening to this. Any symphonic metal release with those guest appearances simply has to be heard, whether it's good or not.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
10.01.2014 - 18:42
Rating: 6
The Melting Snow

I was greatly disappointed when I saw the tracklist and featuring artists, but your review gives me hope. Anything along the lines of The Silent Force and Mother Earth would be great.
10.01.2014 - 20:02
Fred

Very well written, especially in the end.
----
Fred
10.01.2014 - 20:59
mariano

Written by R Lewis on 10.01.2014 at 03:00

the problem with this release consists in the close-minded outlook of the metal community

Really...?
Well, in my opinion the problem with Within Temptation is that they turned into something that is not metal anymore but they still want to be part of the metal scene and so they are judged as a metal band as a consequence.
10.01.2014 - 22:25
Uldreth

Written by mariano on 10.01.2014 at 20:59

Written by R Lewis on 10.01.2014 at 03:00

the problem with this release consists in the close-minded outlook of the metal community

Really...?
Well, in my opinion the problem with Within Temptation is that they turned into something that is not metal anymore but they still want to be part of the metal scene and so they are judged as a metal band as a consequence.

Which is exactly a closed minded outlook. You should evaluate purely the music without taking anything like "they still want to be part of the metal scene" as it is a non-musical point.
11.01.2014 - 00:27
Rating: 8
R Lewis

Written by Uldreth on 10.01.2014 at 22:25

Which is exactly a closed minded outlook. You should evaluate purely the music without taking anything like "they still want to be part of the metal scene" as it is a non-musical point.

----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
12.01.2014 - 01:40
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
So it'll be another Silent Force or Heart Of Everything, then?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.01.2014 - 13:39
R Lewis

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.01.2014 at 12:01

I have nothing against the band, more the way this review is written. It is almost closed minded in itself by thinking that everybody that is open minded is right and everybody who knows what they like is closed minded, non-constructive and wrong.

"[...] and therefore not giving any real chance to the music itself."

How do you know that you won't like sth if you already approach it thinking "this is gonna be crap"? First you should listen without prejudices to an album and then, in case, criticize it.
But in the end, that's just my humble opinion.
----
12.01.2014 - 13:44
rpsgc

Quote:
This brings to the fact that the problem with this release consists in the close-minded outlook of the metal community, which too often associates the word "mainstream" with "crap", and therefore not giving any real chance to the music itself.

Newsflash: not liking something doesn't automatically make you close-minded or intolerant.
12.01.2014 - 13:52
R Lewis

Written by rpsgc on 12.01.2014 at 13:44

Quote:
This brings to the fact that the problem with this release consists in the close-minded outlook of the metal community, which too often associates the word "mainstream" with "crap", and therefore not giving any real chance to the music itself.

Newsflash: not liking something doesn't automatically make you close-minded or intolerant.

The answer lies right in the sentence you quoted: "and therefore not giving any real chance to the music itself."
I'm not criticizing who doesn't like it - that's tastes.
I'm criticizing who already before listening to the album bashes it as crap simply because it became even slightly mainstream. And trust me, there's loads of people acting like this.
----
12.01.2014 - 15:26
Uldreth

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.01.2014 at 12:01

Way to go, slagging off sections of the metal community.

Not everyone likes change. Originality doesn't always have more value if it is worse than what was before. Music is a form of entertainment for me, nothing more nothing less. If I don't like it then I am not interested. I stopped being a back catalogue completist years ago.

I have nothing against the band, more the way this review is written. It is almost closed minded in itself by thinking that everybody that is open minded is right and everybody who knows what they like is closed minded, non-constructive and wrong.

Except he didn't say any of this.

Not liking this album is not being close minded.

"Lol dere iz a rapper featured on da album imma not gon cehck it out lulz, rap sux dis iznt trve methulz, und Sharon sung in a meinsteram tarnce song she iz a pozer derp"

Now this would be. Which did not seem to happen in this thread so far and this site is, bar a few occasional exceptions, free of this crap, this does seem to characterize the metal subculture. So the reviewer's attitude is quite well justified.
12.01.2014 - 15:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Bring back your trains on track guys. Bring back.
13.01.2014 - 14:43
sleipnirlovenig

What is Within Temptation doing here? This is METAL Storm:hopeless:
14.01.2014 - 13:58
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Any links for the "And We Run" song? I couldn't find it on youtube and spotify still doesn't have the album.
----
14.01.2014 - 14:21
R Lewis

Written by 4look4rd on 14.01.2014 at 13:58

Any links for the "And We Run" song? I couldn't find it on youtube and spotify still doesn't have the album.

You'll have to wait until the album is released, sorry. But, if you like, I can send you an audio track with me singing it.
It could be fun.
----
15.01.2014 - 19:51
a MasT

Haven't heard the song and won't. Could care less if that's "closed-minded". If WT was a notch above "Evanescence" and the rest of the media-f***** rabble they aren't anymore. At least for me, in my HUMBLE OPINION.
15.01.2014 - 20:09
R Lewis

Written by a MasT on 15.01.2014 at 19:51

At least for me, in my HUMBLE OPINION.

Hmm... I sense... sarcasm over here.
----
15.01.2014 - 22:50
mariano

...but this is Metal Storm, right? I'm not gonna find a review on the latest from Coldplay here (I hope) regardless of my ability to evaluate that kind of music
15.01.2014 - 23:29
R Lewis

Written by mariano on 15.01.2014 at 22:50

...but this is Metal Storm, right? I'm not gonna find a review on the latest from Coldplay here (I hope) regardless of my ability to evaluate that kind of music

Let's close this discussion with a pretty arrogant ending by me.
I have listened to the album.
You have not.

When you'll have listened to Hydra - if you ever will - come here and I'll be happy to continue this topic.
----
16.01.2014 - 11:20
Uldreth

But Coldplay is not a metal band and has nothing to do with metal.

Regardless whether we consider Within Temptation metal or not, they have released definitely metal albums in the past (their first two for example). A band that switches styles from metal to something else won't get removed from here.

If Coldplay ever released a metal album, it'd be on the site and their non-metal albums would be available for review too, just like it happened with Dawn Of Ashes.
16.01.2014 - 18:58
Nefret

The song Paradise ft my favorite female singer, Tarja is nothing but a waste of a collaboration, in my opinion. Having listened to it, I stopped anticipating Hydra to be a better album than the last one
17.01.2014 - 09:33
annodomini

I can't believe I am saying this, but "And we run" is a game changer. What a song!!!!
----
the riddle wants to be...
17.01.2014 - 15:46
Rulatore

Thank you for the review, the most interesting part of the review is this one:

Quote:
And while the guitar work could be improved, especially in the sometimes monotonous rhythm sections and in the short, few and low-mixed solos

This, now I know that I'll probably hate it.
19.01.2014 - 16:44
mariano

Written by R Lewis on 15.01.2014 at 23:29

Let's close this discussion with a pretty arrogant ending by me.
I have listened to the album.
You have not.

When you'll have listened to Hydra - if you ever will - come here and I'll be happy to continue this topic.

but I did listen to the album!
That "arrogant ending" of yours actually tells a lot about why you approached the review the way you did: thinking that readers are not going to like the album because they are close-minded metallers

Hits total: 18420 | This month: 20