Metal Storm logo
Jason Newsted - Explains Reasons For Leaving Metallica

Former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted, now with his new project Newsted, was recently interviewed by Scuzz TV in the UK and was asked about his exit from the band more than ten years ago. He finally opened up and revealed previously untold details surrounding his departure.

Newsted explains that what actually happened was that Metallica's management at Q-Prime heard the Echobrain demos and were very impressed. They wanted to represent the band and push it using Newsted's credibility because he was in Metallica. Newsted alleges that James Hetfield supposedly got jealous of management's interest, and assumed Echobrain's success would affect Metallica. The management company ended up telling Newsted they were not interested anymore.

While the band was filming a retrospective for The Black Album, Newsted offered copies of the new Echobrain record to everybody in the band and friends. James then reprimanded Newsted and he decided it was time to move on. Newsted announced that he was leaving Metallica in 2001. At the time, he vaguely cited "private and personal reasons and the physical damage I have done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love."

The Metallica part begins around the 30-minute mark.

Source: youtube.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 14.01.2014 by deadone

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 27   Visited by: 476 users
14.01.2014 - 11:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Watched the whole thing and it was all very interesting.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
14.01.2014 - 11:56
PocketMetal

Let's just say that this doesn't surprise me.
14.01.2014 - 12:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, this surprised me.

I knew it would be conspiracy of one of the members of Metallica led to which Jason walked out of the band. This for pretty much sure that he obviously lied back in 01 due to physical damage has done to himself. But, i never knew it that James would be such a big jealous dick. Nevertheless, i always consider James to be one the weakest musicians' in Metallica and his contribution wasn't much into it as opposed to other ex-Metallica member who heavily contributed in many major songs.
14.01.2014 - 13:51
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.01.2014 at 12:23

James would be such a big jealous dick. Nevertheless, i always consider James to be one the weakest musicians' in Metallica and his contribution wasn't much into it as opposed to other ex-Metallica member who heavily contributed in many major songs.

IMO James is the main reason 'tallica turned into poser 'tards playing heavy metal that is trying to sound thrash.
----
14.01.2014 - 14:40
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Nevertheless, i always consider James to be one the weakest musicians' in Metallica and his contribution wasn't much into it as opposed to other ex-Metallica member who heavily contributed in many major songs.

Don't you mean Jason?
14.01.2014 - 15:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Unhealer on 14.01.2014 at 14:40

Nevertheless, i always consider James to be one the weakest musicians' in Metallica and his contribution wasn't much into it as opposed to other ex-Metallica member who heavily contributed in many major songs.

Don't you mean Jason?

No, its James. JAMES HETFIELD.

The guy who sang "I'm the table". That one.
14.01.2014 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Lars will Always be Metallica's weakest musician and Kirk isn't great either. I would say James is superior to those two. And as for the ex-musician you're referring to, that would probably be Dave Mustaine, but he didn't contribute that much to Metallica at all. Just a couple of songs he contributed to. Remember, that a lot of songs were already largely written before Mustaine joined. He wasn't an Original member at all, although he tries to come across as such.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2014 - 15:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Unhealer on 14.01.2014 at 14:40

Don't you mean Jason?

Jason was easily the most gifted musician of the band when he was part of it. He just wasn't allowed to contribute by the other dick weazels.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2014 - 16:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2014 at 15:33

Jason was easily the most gifted musician of the band when he was part of it. He just wasn't allowed to contribute by the other dick weazels.

I loved his energy on stage and his vocals, they complemented James's perfectly. Still, I think calling James the weakest is going a bit overboard.
14.01.2014 - 16:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2014 at 15:30

Lars will Always be Metallica's weakest musician and Kirk isn't great either. I would say James is superior to those two.

As far as songwriting is concerned, James played pivotal role in it. But, he was always "satisfactory" behind instrument. He was however was the leading man of Metallica but pathetic musician. Look, Metallica's success has always remained in classification of many brilliant ex-Metallica members(Cliff included in). As for Kirk, I think he attracts loads of fans for his shredding but its okay with it because he sharpened his skills in Exodus. So, from nowhere i think James gotta phase(s) where people thought he's extremely fantastic in his role. Not worse but he remained as an satisfactory musician to show up.
14.01.2014 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Unhealer on 14.01.2014 at 16:02

I loved his energy on stage and his vocals, they complemented James's perfectly. Still, I think calling James the weakest is going a bit overboard.

The weakest is clearly Lars. No doubt about that.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2014 - 16:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.01.2014 at 16:15

As far as songwriting is concerned, James played pivotal role in it. But, he was always "satisfactory" behind instrument. He was however was the leading man of Metallica but pathetic musician.

I think he's awesome as a rhythm guitar/singer musician. There's some quite difficult stuff for playing guitar while singing at the same time on Metallica songs.
Also, while time rendered Kirk sloppy and Lars completely useless, Het is in a very good shape musically these days.
14.01.2014 - 16:52
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I also believe that Lars is the weakest musician in Metallica and the reason why Metallica shifted to a more commercial phase was because of him, not because of James or Jason. One should bear in mind that the other members did not allow Jason to come up with any ideas, much less to implement them in the sound of Metallica, and the episode in the recording sessions of Justice proved it. I have to admit that Jason was something like the 'heavy side' of Metallica, whicle the other band members were easily blinded by the popularity that The Black Album brought and sought to continue in this direction.

Point is, with Jason Metallica still did release some good tracks, but with Trujillo, I'm sorry, the dude might be good, I liked him while he was in Suicidal Tendencies, but hey... Death Magnetic?! This album is better when compared with St. Anger or Lulu or even Load or Reload, but it pales in comparison with the first five any day.
14.01.2014 - 18:13
cossaisVendeurs

Imagine what life would be like if Lars just stuck to playing tennis.
14.01.2014 - 18:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by cossaisVendeurs on 14.01.2014 at 18:13

Imagine what life would be like if Lars just stuck to playing tennis.

Simple, NO Metallica then and thrash wouldn;t be as we know it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.01.2014 - 18:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Unhealer on 14.01.2014 at 16:02

I think calling James the weakest is going a bit overboard.

Yeah, may be. If not weakest, he's satisfactory. As I said, contribution was crashed down to many great musicians' but if you think Lars and Kirk are weaker then its subliminal James part of it i.e he's weak too. Metallica has rich history but screaming from roof top that "James doesnt have much contribuation and he's amateur" will also be childlish. He pulled off some great and tough songs doesnt credit him much because everyone does that. No big fucking deal. My point is Metallica's success has lifted up by many great ex-Metallica members(aforementioned too). He's gifted? I don't think so.
14.01.2014 - 18:47
Silent Jay

And as for the ex-musician you're referring to, that would probably be Dave Mustaine, but he didn't contribute that much to Metallica at all. Just a couple of songs he contributed to. Remember, that a lot of songs were already largely written before Mustaine joined. He wasn't an Original member at all, although he tries to come across as such.
Just a couple of songs? Muffstain has been credited for 6 songs and I've heard there are a few more left uncredited... but whatever. To me he was a big part of the Metallica sound in those early years and its hard to imagine what Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning (arguably their two best releases) would of sounded like without his influence. An influence sorely missed afterwards on Master of Puppets and Justice for All.

As for the interview with Jason, I'm not surprised at all. Jason says he hasn't talked about it before but little bits have been here and there over the years, though he probably has gone into a little more detail in this one sitting than any other time. Nothing much was new.
14.01.2014 - 19:06
LICH

Imagine how heavier metallica would sound if newsted was writing ? i mean shit lyracist but he can pound out some belter thrash tunes when he wants.
14.01.2014 - 23:20
EmperorIX

30+ years later and people are still taking shots at them. Move on people. Move the fuck on! There are many more musicians and music that deserves praise/scrutiny now days.
15.01.2014 - 00:31
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I thought we already knew the reason more than 10 years ago... My mistake I guess, there are so many bands out there, I probably mixed things up.
15.01.2014 - 01:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by deadone on 15.01.2014 at 00:45
Anything since has been merely tinkering around the edges.

I think that's a pretty unfair assessment of the modern metal scene. I don't know about you but I think a lot of bands (especially within the avant-garde and experimental spectrum) offer a lot more innovation and variation than bands like Metallica or Morbid Angel or whoever else you're referring to. I understand a lot of those bands laid the foundations of metal but that doesn't mean that was the peak of creativity within the metal scene.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2014 - 02:47
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted

Lars will Always be Metallica's weakest musician and Kirk isn't great either. I would say James is superior to those two. And as for the ex-musician you're referring to, that would probably be Dave Mustaine, but he didn't contribute that much to Metallica at all. Just a couple of songs he contributed to. Remember, that a lot of songs were already largely written before Mustaine joined. He wasn't an Original member at all, although he tries to come across as such.

Hell yeah I agree. Kirk and Lars especially are idiots. James I actually like. And as for Dave he didn't do shit except for help write a couple of songs. Plus I think Robert should find a new band, he is completely underutilizing his talents. Like maybe go back to Suicidal Tendencies . But since we are talking about Jason he is a badass bassist and should have been able to do more when he was in Metallica.
15.01.2014 - 19:43
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Interesting interview. It's still clearly a touchy subject for him.

A diamond, Kirk Hammett called it. A diamond.
15.01.2014 - 20:49
bblitz

They are all weak musicians.Jason Newsted was good so he left....Dave Mustaine also....
I agree with people here saying in general no matter what metal genre,there are more
talented and better bands that deserve attention.Metallica have done great injustice to us metalheads
and brought shame to themselves with releasing awful sell out albums (you know).Did they thought
of thrash metal then? No. Testament,Overkill,Kreator,Nevermore did.Jason left because he knew what they've become.
20.01.2014 - 17:47
DayFly

My two cents:

Hammett is a terrible guitarist and the one member of Metallica that did not make a difference. For a guy claiming to be influenced by Michael Schenker he is strikingly unmelodic and unmemorable and has a vibrato a beginner should be ashamed of. Playing the role of guitar hero, unlike the guitarists in more extreme bands, makes his lack of technique even more unbearable. His writing credits don't much help his case either. On the other hand, Ulrich may not be a very accomplished drummer but is as important to early Metallica, as Metallica is to thrash, like it or not. Hetfield, of course, set the bar for terrific extreme metal rhythm guitar in the beginning of Metallica's career. As for Mustaine, Megadeth's later material is every bit as bad as later day Metallica, and their early material is by all accounts worse. Whatever revionists like to believe about Mustaine, throught their career, Megadeth featured better musicians than Metallica and yet never wrote anything as good.

Burton's playing is terrific and his contribution important. And Newsted never made any impression during his tenure in Metallica, which he can, perhaps ironically, be grateful for.
21.01.2014 - 09:48
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I know Lars seems to cop a lot of flak as a drummer/musician but he's come up with some pretty decent stuff that really fits the songs that Metallica write. I also think that his thrash-style drumming on Justice is very good. I'm certain he's not up to the class of some of the other early thrash drummers (Lombardo, Benante come to mind) but he's no hack.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
01.02.2014 - 21:53
MrClansman1

This interview was amazing! I'm going to listen Newsted's new album again.

Hits total: 4944 | This month: 4