Metal Storm logo
Draconian

Original post

Posted by Elfeder, 20.05.2006 - 13:41
This band has the most depressive kyrics ever ...and when they come with their slow and atmospheric doom melodies it makes a unique feelings ...this band is one of the best bands I heared ever they are so great !!!
I can't wait for their new album...I am sure they can make more from their last to albums... when lovers mourn is great, Arcane rain fell is little worst but also good.
20.03.2008 - 04:30
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 20.03.2008 at 04:00

I listened to the promo, and it was sad to note that they threw away the last signs of doom metal. Turning Season Within sounds very generic, melodic death oriented and well, I can't say I liked anything in that album.

Well, that seems more personal than anything else I really could care less which direction a band goes, as long as they continue in one that slightly progresses their music, and creates something done with inspiration. Strange, though, with "Arcane Rain Fell," I thought that the band had become more doom than their debut. I think it's a bit odd that you would call the new album melodic death (?). But ahh well, the band has certainly satisfied me and I'm pleased to see that the male and female vocals are more equal in appearance this time around.

If you wanted a deeper progression into doom, well, it surprises me that you would look to Draconian to satisfy that... they are certainly not out to be extreme doom by any means!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
20.03.2008 - 05:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 20.03.2008 at 04:30

Written by Guest on 20.03.2008 at 04:00

I listened to the promo, and it was sad to note that they threw away the last signs of doom metal. Turning Season Within sounds very generic, melodic death oriented and well, I can't say I liked anything in that album.

Well, that seems more personal than anything else I really could care less which direction a band goes, as long as they continue in one that slightly progresses their music, and creates something done with inspiration. Strange, though, with "Arcane Rain Fell," I thought that the band had become more doom than their debut. I think it's a bit odd that you would call the new album melodic death (?). But ahh well, the band has certainly satisfied me and I'm pleased to see that the male and female vocals are more equal in appearance this time around.

If you wanted a deeper progression into doom, well, it surprises me that you would look to Draconian to satisfy that... they are certainly not out to be extreme doom by any means!

No, no, no, you didn't understand at all what I wanted to say (well, I admit that it was actually me who didn't explain well). I won't bash any band for the simple reason the change style, I enjoy Ulver from Nattens Madrigal to Kveldssanger to Perdition City, but I consider that Draconian chose like the easy path to follow adopting a style tried many times before, with bombastic female vocals, and a clear melodic death approach. On the other hand, I truly loved the subtle, unpretentious and depressive album that was Arcane Rain Fell... Change is not bad, THIS change was, for me.
07.04.2008 - 08:32
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Guest on 20.03.2008 at 05:25

No, no, no, you didn't understand at all what I wanted to say (well, I admit that it was actually me who didn't explain well). I won't bash any band for the simple reason the change style, I enjoy Ulver from Nattens Madrigal to Kveldssanger to Perdition City, but I consider that Draconian chose like the easy path to follow adopting a style tried many times before, with bombastic female vocals, and a clear melodic death approach. On the other hand, I truly loved the subtle, unpretentious and depressive album that was Arcane Rain Fell... Change is not bad, THIS change was, for me.

I didn't want to reply to your post here until I had a chance to talk about this CD to a friend of mine, who also loves "Arcane Rain Fell" more than the band's latest disc. I think we view the concepts of subtley in totally different manners, because I find "Turning Season Within" to be a much more subtle, subdued approach, particularly with the mix and the arrangements. I find the guitarwork builds slowly, and the mix is slightly less crisp... even a bit muted compared to "Arcane Rain Fell," which to me has a crisp, nearly epic sound at certain points in the songs.

I think "Turning Season Within" is very introverted and lyrically points inward, while their previous works all seem to point toward larger concepts, such as religious topics. It's the more romantic and personal pain that attracts me to the new CD Interestingly enough, my friend agrees with you in that he prefers "Arcane" and does not care for the change much - but simultaneously agrees with me in that the new CD is more subtle and subdued to him too. So, now I have no idea who is right, but at least we know who likes which CD more... haha.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
07.04.2008 - 20:12
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Jason W. on 07.04.2008 at 08:32

Written by Guest on 20.03.2008 at 05:25

I didn't want to reply to your post here until I had a chance to talk about this CD to a friend of mine, who also loves "Arcane Rain Fell" more than the band's latest disc. I think we view the concepts of subtley in totally different manners, because I find "Turning Season Within" to be a much more subtle, subdued approach, particularly with the mix and the arrangements. I find the guitarwork builds slowly, and the mix is slightly less crisp... even a bit muted compared to "Arcane Rain Fell," which to me has a crisp, nearly epic sound at certain points in the songs.

I think "Turning Season Within" is very introverted and lyrically points inward, while their previous works all seem to point toward larger concepts, such as religious topics. It's the more romantic and personal pain that attracts me to the new CD Interestingly enough, my friend agrees with you in that he prefers "Arcane" and does not care for the change much - but simultaneously agrees with me in that the new CD is more subtle and subdued to him too. So, now I have no idea who is right, but at least we know who likes which CD more... haha.

Ok thanx for this answer... maybe I should give another chance to TSW... not to name that I originally listened to a promo version, and there are little things less irritating in this world than a backing voice in the middle of every song.
10.04.2008 - 05:20
GhostofPerdition
Account deleted
Draconian is a pretty good band. I haven't heard anything after "The Burning Halo", though. I think that might actually be my favorite record by them, but my favorite song is "Death, Come Near Me", hands down. I must have listened to that song for about three days straight, just that song. I was also in one of those depressed states. Or maybe that was from listening to too much Draconian, My Dying Bride, Katatonia and Swallow the Sun. All I know is I was really enjoying that song. 15 minutes of greatness, in my opinion. The rest of the album wasn't the best, though. I think that was truly the only song that really stood out to me, which is why "The Burning Halo" is my favorite, and not "Arcane Rain Fell". I'm not typically a fan of female vocals in metal, either, but her voice suits the band quite well. I don't know about the latest album, but everything else her voice sure does. The growls in the song "Death, Come Near Me" are simply fantastic, though.
22.06.2008 - 17:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
the Song: "Seasons Apart" from the album: "Turning Season Within" is a Masterpiece song. love that song LOVe
25.06.2008 - 01:16
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 22.06.2008 at 17:13

the Song: "Seasons Apart" from the album: "Turning Season Within" is a Masterpiece song. love that song LOVe

I agree, but I'd say the whole album is.. well not a Masterpiece, but it's near that level.. I can't get tired of it, and you get along in the mood pretty easily IMO
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
27.07.2008 - 03:02
Chaos
Account deleted
i have to say the "The Cry Of Silence" is one of the greatist songs that they ever made
03.11.2008 - 03:37
Land Of Doom

Yes Its Very Good Band And Espicially The Last Album Turning Season Within

This Band From the few Band Which They Keep The Doom Metal They Genre
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
03.11.2008 - 07:16
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Land Of Doom on 03.11.2008 at 03:37

Yes Its Very Good Band And Espicially The Last Album Turning Season Within

Yes I love the latest album as well The lyrics on "Turning Season Within" are some of my favorite romantic lyrics on any metal album!
----
14.01.2009 - 19:32
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Still seems pretty fucking doomy to me!
such well written music
22.02.2009 - 01:31
Nei

Turning Season Within is awesome. A bit different from the other album, but beautiful music nonetheless. Morphine Cloud is probably my favourite track from the album, the lyrics are really great.
22.02.2009 - 13:55
Dest

Turning Seasons Within, is a great album, but for me, they still haven't topped Arcane Rain Fell and Where Lovers Mourn, which I consider their best albums. The Burning Halo was pretty good, even though I don't consider it a 'new' album.

Amazing band, still have to see them live sometime though
23.02.2009 - 17:22
Diabolique

Dest, +1.

Turning Seasons Within is kind of...forgettable, at least in compare with older releases. Even if it's not bad, somehow it feels like they haven't got anything new to say (play, whatever). Sad, actually Draconian is not the first and only band I see this tendency.
23.02.2009 - 19:58
Vunts

Written by Guest on 27.07.2008 at 03:02

i have to say the "The Cry Of Silence" is one of the greatist songs that they ever made

I'd have to say that song is one of the greatest songs in the genre that I've heard
23.02.2009 - 20:08
Sunioj

I'm seeing these guys on friday, a long with two local female fronted bands (distorted, and desert). Now that I think of it, all of the bands start with the letter D. Gonna be a triple D night : D
23.02.2009 - 22:24
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Diabolique on 23.02.2009 at 17:22

Dest, +1.

Turning Seasons Within is kind of...forgettable, at least in compare with older releases. Even if it's not bad, somehow it feels like they haven't got anything new to say (play, whatever). Sad, actually Draconian is not the first and only band I see this tendency.

Strange, I find they have plenty of new things to say on their latest album. Even if musically it is not as satisfying for you, lyrically there is a drastic change, with much more introspection upon the loneliness and disintegration of romance. Discussing which album is best (Arcane or Turning) has always ended in a realization that some people want more doom and others want more gothic in Draconian. I prefer the gothic, and don't like the lyrics of Arcane, hence, I prefer the latest album. But rating them both, I'd rate them exactly the same on a reviewer's perspective. Both are excellent
----
23.02.2009 - 22:42
Janne
Hugin
I think Draconian is perfect as it is.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.02.2009 - 23:41
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Janne on 23.02.2009 at 22:42

I think Draconian is perfect as it is.

Oh finally someone who likes older and new stuff too. I'm the only one of my friends who likes all 3 of the band's full-lengths (The Black Halo is an EP for me). They are still on my "must see live" list... I can only hope
----
24.02.2009 - 02:41
zeitwolfe
Account deleted
Definitively, the best song of this masters of gothic/doom is the gothic embrace, guitar, drums, heavenly chorus, is the best! and draconian is one of the best bands of doom in the world
24.02.2009 - 02:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Totally boring band for me. And they keep on gettiong worse with every subsequent release. IMO both of Johan Ericson's releases as Doom: VS are vastly superior to anything Draconian ever did and ever will do.

If you want genuinely good music from the heart throwaway Draconian and start listening to Doom: VS
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2009 - 19:06
annodomini

Well i still cant find why most of people cant get into "Trunin Seasons Within", its a master work for me. All songs are incredible written, and the sound and atmosphere is original, its really creates a cold feeling. But ni hope that they will save a doom sound for future.
----
the riddle wants to be...
26.02.2009 - 22:28
Dest

I just find the songs on Turning Seasons Within more distant, while the songs on Arcane Rain Fell and Where Lover Mourn are more emotional and therefore more personal emotionally. That is why I can't seem to get into the new album.

All I can say is that is more of a personal thing, because like dismaleuphony said, everyone expects different things of a Doom album.
28.02.2009 - 22:38
Sunioj

I just saw them last night. They put on a pretty good show, but they didn't play some old songs like 'the gothic embrace' or 'the dying' as they did in their last performance. Rather, they played about 4 songs from their new album, tbh that even sounded great on stage. Of course, they still played the classics like 'she dies', 'a scenery of loss', and 'the cry of silence'.
11.05.2009 - 22:06
Land Of Doom

Amazing Band Its the only band which gather betwen the doom and gothic

Its My Favorite Band

I like Lisa Very Much
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
15.10.2009 - 22:35
InfernoxDeath

This band is one of my 5 undisputed favourite bands!
Love how the lyrics are well composed.
18.10.2009 - 05:57
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Awesome gothic/doom...i see them stature wise alongside old lacrimas profundere and say darkwell with a hint of dismal euphony.
11.12.2009 - 04:35
The_Wolf98

Wow, I haven't listened to much doom, but this band definitely makes me intrigued. I love how the male and female vocals contrast to show the two aspects of sadness, mourning and anger.

I'm definitely checking this band out some more.
12.12.2009 - 19:04
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
I cant find anything special with this band, really boring IMO. From all their works/albums and songs, the only song they have done that was good was "the abhorrent rays" from arcana rain fell album. And the reason it was good was because it is a TOTAL 100% KATATONIA ripp off (old Katatonia).
----
12.12.2009 - 19:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Azhidahak on 12.12.2009 at 19:04

I cant find anything special with this band, really boring IMO.

It seems we're in total agreement here.
I prfer the Doom: VS project to ANYTHING done by Draconian. And live Draconian was quite bad as well (and then I am being polite) just read my Madrid IOs The Dark Fest review on them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996