Metal Storm logo
Best Of Grind

15.01.2007 - 06:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I remember way back we used to do these all the time, but I can't really remember since one hasn't been done on this version of MS. I'm pretty sure a grind one has never been done, so just copy and past my headings and fill them out in your own post. Feel free to create your own headings if you want.

Best Vocalist- Joe Horvath (Circle of Dead Children)
Ok so I don't really think Torsofuck counts as grind, so I'll go with this dude. His vocals are extremely low and his constant pig squeeling makes me envious. A lot of grind bands that use low vocals will often use a pitchshifter, but from my understanding, this dude doesn't.

Best Guitarist- Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer)
Grind is filled with awesome guitarists. That's why I like it so much. However, Scott shifts between metal and punk riffs constantly and incorporates nice grooves to the songs.

Best Drummer- Brian Harvey (Pig Destroyer)
I was thinking about choosing Pete Sandoval from Terrorizer, but I decided to not let his reputation encourage my choice. Brian is just a monster behind the kit. He's fast as hell and plays more time changes than most people around.

Best Lyrics- Pig Destroyer
They only have two major albums, but both have been concepts, and their yet-to-be-released album will be the same way. Prowler in the Yard is an accidental concept album about a self-mutilating stalker obsessing over this chick. I can't remember all of it, but one part is about the dude cutting certain fingers and toes off and sending them to her in a package, with a letter saying like 8 fingers and toes for how many days I've been without you...or something like that. Terrifyer's concept is even more bizarre, and way more complex. It's basically about some chick having a dream, and it slowly becomes fulfilled as the story progresses. I remember something about people turning into zombies or something, which is always cool. Also, both albums come with a short story that helps supplement the lyrics.

Best Artwork/Imagery- Last Days of Humanity
These guys have some pretty nasty-looking covers....something I always enjoy. Pretty much all of their album covers have dead people on them, mostly with their heads partially off. I thought about choosing Leng Tch'e because of how cool the cover of their newest album is, but I don't think they can compete with LDoH.

Best Live Act- Cephalic Carnage
These stoners have a very unique way of performing. As they play, they kinda rotate spots clockwise a few times per song, and when they rotate they switch vocalists. They also have the crowd participate in a wall of death, but they change it up a bit. Not only do they have people run from one side of the venue to the other, but they add two extra sides, so you have people coming at you from all directions. I saw them when they had Jawsh as their bassist, so I don't know if they've changed live.

Best Band- Pig Destroyer

hmm, I didn't have Carcass in there anywhere. Weird.
15.01.2007 - 11:14
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ you didnt mentioned the BEST BAND

NASUM
15.01.2007 - 22:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh yeah, you're right. I'll do that now.
17.01.2007 - 01:26
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Pyro, I agree with nearly everything on your list, but I am as yet undecided on some things and not many grind bands come to Manitoba or even close, so i'll have to wait and analyze this before I make my post on this.
17.01.2007 - 01:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by spirit_inblack on 17.01.2007 at 01:26

Pyro, I agree with nearly everything on your list, but I am as yet undecided on some things and not many grind bands come to Manitoba or even close, so i'll have to wait and analyze this before I make my post on this.

Well, just leave out certain headings and add your own if you want. That's what usually happens in threads like these, and it's fine with me. Looking forward to your post
03.02.2007 - 00:43
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Wow... I sure forgot about this thread for a while. I'll make my post now.

Best Vocalist- J.R. Hayes (Pig Destroyer)
Not only do I think that he has the best vocals in grind, but in metal. He has a unique hardcorish vocal style and the vocals suit the band's lyrics and music extremely well.

Best Guitarist- Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, ex- Anal Cunt)
This guy can just shred. He comes up with the craziest riffs and I love his works in Pig Destroyer and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. It's pretty cool how they play live with no bassist. O yeah, his tatoo's are killer too.

Best Drummer- Brian Harvey (Pig Destroyer) & Roel Sanders (Inhume)
I couldn't make a choice between the two. Brian Harvey has a unique drumming style for grindcore, because of the intricateness and precision he has. Roel Sanders is fast as hell and is mainly why I listen to Inhume.

Best Lyrics- Carcass
It was a hard choice between Carcass and Pig Destroyer, but I chose Carcass just because their gore lyrics are actually good and catchy compared to most other band that write about gore. I like Pig Destroyer's concepts and all but Carcass lyrics attract my attention more.

Best Artwork/Imagery Last Days of Humanity
The three bands that I had a hard time deciding between were Pig Destroyer, Carcass and LDoH. The early Carcass covers were really cool because of all the gore, but they both look the same. Pig Destroyer album art is very artistic, especially Prowler In The Yard. C'mon, a dude sawing his own leg off, drawn with a lot of detail, that's pretty damn cool. I chose LDoH because their album covers are so disgusting and sick. Putrefaction in Progress, Defleshed by Flies (split), and especially Sounds of Rancid Juices Sloshing Around Your Coffin, Hymns of Indisgestible Suppuration, and In Advanced Haemorrhaging Conditions are all sick. I don't often listen to them and I don't have a full length, but I know their artwork/imagers quite well and it is disgusting.

Overall Best- Pig Destroyer