Aesop Dekker - drums, percussion
Jason William Walton - bass

Additional musicians:
Nathanaël Larochette - acoustic guitars
B. Anderson - piano, throat singing
Veleda Thorsson - electric saw, waterphone
R. Sforcina - synthesizers, oscillation & wires

Additional info
Produced by Billy Anderson and Agalloch.

Recorded at Cloud City and mixed at Everything Hz by Billy Anderson. Guest appearance by guitarist Nathanaël Larochette of Musk Ox, who wrote and provided the album's acoustic interludes.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Agalloch have never favoured doom as forcefully as they have on The Serpent & The Sphere. So blatantly delivered, it would appear that this new resolve has completely shattered their ability and will to instil the expected level of atmosphere in their fifth full-length effort. But appearances can be deceiving.

Read more ››
published 13.05.2014 | Comments (39)

Found in 69 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 8

Comments: 221   Visited by: 1673 users
01.04.2014 - 22:25
Sand

I have a good feeling about this one
----
Non serviam
01.04.2014 - 22:41
no one
Account deleted
Cover art looks a bit shit, but that was never one of there strong points, and that is something that doesn't really matter
03.04.2014 - 18:52
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.04.2014 at 22:41

Cover art looks a bit shit, but that was never one of there strong points, and that is something that doesn't really matter

I'm the other way around. Love most of their artwork except maybe the debut and this one which are meh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.04.2014 - 13:37
telephonebear
Account deleted
Has anybody read the review here: http://www.stereogum.com/1672221/premature-evaluation-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere/franchises/premature-evaluation/

i think it sounds interesting, though different from what they have done before (but then again no two albums in their discography really sound the same yet anyway)
29.04.2014 - 01:24
Rating: 7
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.04.2014 at 18:52

I'm the other way around. Love most of their artwork except maybe the debut and this one which are meh.

While I love this band, their artwork usually isn't that great. "Marrow" actually has the best artwork in my opinion, along with The Mantle (total classic). "Ashes" just has boring artwork. I even like Pale Folklore's artwork more, which is boring as well, but I do like its simplicity and of course the logo itself. This new album's artwork is pretty damn lame and initially I even thought it was some sort of temporary/concept artwork. I'm still somewhat hoping this is the case, hahaha.
29.04.2014 - 01:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 29.04.2014 at 01:24

While I love this band, their artwork usually isn't that great. "Marrow" actually has the best artwork in my opinion, along with The Mantle (total classic). "Ashes" just has boring artwork. I even like Pale Folklore's artwork more, which is boring as well, but I do like its simplicity and of course the logo itself. This new album's artwork is pretty damn lame and initially I even thought it was some sort of temporary/concept artwork. I'm still somewhat hoping this is the case, hahaha.

totally agree, when i got my poster out of the ashes vinyl i didn't even put it up. Anyone who doesn't know of the band would think i was trying to be artistic but had no taste
29.04.2014 - 08:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 29.04.2014 at 01:24
"Ashes" just has boring artwork. I even like Pale Folklore's artwork more, which is boring as well, but I do like its simplicity and of course the logo itself.

This one sucks... But I really like this one. I'm thankful my cd copy has the second one on front.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.04.2014 - 08:57
no one
Account deleted
They both sucked IMO
29.04.2014 - 12:23
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.04.2014 at 08:36

This one sucks... But I really like this one. I'm thankful my cd copy has the second one on front.

I do agree that the 2nd one is better, but I still can't say I like it a lot. They seem very arbitrary and to me it seems not much thought has gone into that cover. Both are lame.
29.04.2014 - 12:31
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 29.04.2014 at 01:33

totally agree, when i got my poster out of the ashes vinyl i didn't even put it up. Anyone who doesn't know of the band would think i was trying to be artistic but had no taste

But basically all their covers (damn, those EP's are even worse) suck except for The Mantle and "Marrow". When I compare it to the very similar band Gallowbraid, at least he (it's a one-man band) has a great cover: Ashen Eidolon. Or this one, which I definitely like less but is still nice.
01.05.2014 - 14:09
Saiyanity

Written by Erik M. on 29.04.2014 at 12:23

Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.04.2014 at 08:36

I do agree that the 2nd one is better, but I still can't say I like it a lot. They seem very arbitrary and to me it seems not much thought has gone into that cover. Both are lame.

As far as thought going into the 2nd cover I believe somewhere the band said it was inspired by the lyrics on bloodbirds.
01.05.2014 - 23:42
no one
Account deleted
Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor is not a bad cover
04.05.2014 - 00:45
Erik M.

Written by Saiyanity on 01.05.2014 at 14:09

As far as thought going into the 2nd cover I believe somewhere the band said it was inspired by the lyrics on bloodbirds.

Wait, are those birds on the cover or am I just imagining it? Never saw that before actually.
04.05.2014 - 00:45
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 01.05.2014 at 23:42

Of Stone, Wind, And Pillor is not a bad cover

Indeed a very nice cover, that one. Too bad the album itself is mediocre at best.
04.05.2014 - 01:20
no one
Account deleted
Each to there own , i actually quite like it
05.05.2014 - 07:45
Saiyanity

Written by Erik M. on 04.05.2014 at 00:45

Written by Saiyanity on 01.05.2014 at 14:09

Wait, are those birds on the cover or am I just imagining it? Never saw that before actually.

Yup those are birds. Took me a while to figure out that myself. Makes perfect sense given the lyrics.
05.05.2014 - 12:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good one, same level as 1-2 album .... after it band were to soft, less metal, but this well if this is ''comeback'' I hope next will be same... might be best 2014 album for me
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.05.2014 - 17:06
Rating: 6
mz

Written by Bad English on 05.05.2014 at 12:35

Good one, same level as 1-2 album .... after it band were to soft, less metal, but this well if this is ''comeback'' I hope next will be same... might be best 2014 album for me

Haven't heard this but your statement is odd, considering how both AAtG and MotS were more metal than their first two albums.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.05.2014 - 18:25
Rating: 9
SceneryOfLoss

Loving it!
05.05.2014 - 19:49
Rating: 5
strade

I have to say this is pretty bland. Most of it just feels like a pale imitation of what the band has done in the past, and it feels padded beyond belief with uninteresting, repetitive passages. The production is really nice, like a mix of The Mantle and Ashes, but the songwriting and execution just seem phoned in to me.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
05.05.2014 - 20:56
joelinoo

Another amazing album. I liked all the songs after listening to them just once. Didnt feel like that when I listened to Marrow of the Spirit first time. Definitely will get even better after listening to it more and more. The Astral Dialogue and Dark Matter Gods are absolutely AMAZING!
06.05.2014 - 00:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I have to say, I love everything about this release. The production is simply perfect for the style, the songwriting remains haunting yet comforting, and there is the usual amount of differing factors from any previous records for me to call it at least somewhat unique. Like a few others have mentioned elsewhere, it seems to be a culmination of all of Agalloch's prior works. Not as good as The Mantle, but I think I prefer it to Ashes. Probably my favorite album of the past few years, and definitely my favorite album from this year (despite Infestus and the Great Old Ones releasing mesmerizing work). This opinion may not stand with subsequent listens, but at the moment I am 100% satisfied and my expectations have been met in full. I could not be happier right now. Currently on listen number three of the day.
06.05.2014 - 00:57
Rating: 6
mz

Written by Alex F on 06.05.2014 at 00:21

I have to say, I love everything about this release. The production is simply perfect for the style, the songwriting remains haunting yet comforting, and there is the usual amount of differing factors from any previous records for me to call it at least somewhat unique. Like a few others have mentioned elsewhere, it seems to be a culmination of all of Agalloch's prior works. Not as good as The Mantle, but I think I prefer it to Ashes. Probably my favorite album of the past few years, and definitely my favorite album from this year (despite Infestus and the Great Old Ones releasing mesmerizing work). This opinion may not stand with subsequent listens, but at the moment I am 100% satisfied and my expectations have been met in full. I could not be happier right now. Currently on listen number three of the day.

Woah you're raising my expectation level. At the moment, I cant listen to any music since my usual headphones got fucked last week (I've skipped many albums recently, including infestus, due to this problem :'( ). I think that I'd not be able to go for this record in a month, at least and that means that I'd be dying of anticipation.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.05.2014 - 01:00
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by mz on 06.05.2014 at 00:57

Woah you're raising my expectation level. At the moment, I cant listen to any music since my usual headphones got fucked last week (I've skipped many albums recently, including infestus, due to this problem :'( ). I think that I'd not be able to go for this record in a month, at least and that means that I'd be dying of anticipation.

Damn, well I hope you aren't let down. I know a lot of people will be by the lack of clean vocals and the riffs that can seem to wander at times, but I think everything flows together marvelously and creates a beautiful listening experience.
06.05.2014 - 14:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Good album. Much of it didn't blow me away, but then that's pretty much my tastes and Agalloch's style just not always being in the same place. I remained relatively engaged throughout. 'Dark Matter Gods' to me is the clear highlight here which grabbed me by the balls from the first moment and refused to let go. 'Celestial Effigy' also seemed very good, but I could have just been playing off the high that the previous track gave me
06.05.2014 - 18:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The first track is terribly boring, not sure if I will stand that one each album listen. The rest of the album is good, it really sounds like it has bits of every previous album.
BTW, Serpens Caput and Serpens Cauda
06.05.2014 - 23:15
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 14:50

Good album. Much of it didn't blow me away, but then that's pretty much my tastes and Agalloch's style just not always being in the same place. I remained relatively engaged throughout. 'Dark Matter Gods' to me is the clear highlight here which grabbed me by the balls from the first moment and refused to let go. 'Celestial Effigy' also seemed very good, but I could have just been playing off the high that the previous track gave me

Oh shit you liked this? If this isn't proof that this album is amazing then I don't know what is. I actually agree entirely that Dark Matter and Celestial are the best tracks off the album (after about 7 listens or so in the past two days). I'm completely obsessed with this album. Best album of the year (which says a lot since I gave Tekel-Li a 10 and regard that as one of my favorite albums ever at the moment). Seriously unbelievable stuff, I'm convinced that John Haughm is a wizard
07.05.2014 - 00:13
Erik M.

Having spun it 3 times now, I can tell it's a grower because after just one listen it felt a bit underwhelming. At this point I really like it more than MotS, but I'm not sure about the others. I don't think any Agalloch album can top AAtG for me, which is still easily their best. But more spins might change that, although I highly doubt it. It's also definitely not as good as The Mantle. It might be on par with Pale Folklore. Anyway, so far it's around 8.5/10 material for me, which means it's great/excellent but not stuff that blew me away, which is a bit disappointing because I expected to be blown away. I dislike the lack of clean vocals and I also dislike the fact that there are 3 short instrumental tracks. Especially that last track is pretty unnecessary, because the track before it is fully instrumental already, so it's not really adding a lot to the album. Plateau of the Ages does have some awesome Mantle-like parts in it, which I liked a lot.
07.05.2014 - 00:13
Erik M.

Written by mz on 05.05.2014 at 17:06

Written by Bad English on 05.05.2014 at 12:35

Haven't heard this but your statement is odd, considering how both AAtG and MotS were more metal than their first two albums.

Indeed an odd statement, Edgar. The debut and the Mantle are generally definitely less metal than AAtG and especially MotS. Not sure where TS&TS fits. It's definitely more metal than the first two at any case, and probably more metal than AAtG as well, so that leaves MotS as the most metal album of theirs.
07.05.2014 - 00:16
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 06.05.2014 at 01:00

Written by mz on 06.05.2014 at 00:57

Damn, well I hope you aren't let down. I know a lot of people will be by the lack of clean vocals and the riffs that can seem to wander at times, but I think everything flows together marvelously and creates a beautiful listening experience.

Interesting you love it so much, Alex. You're definitely more of an Agalloch fanboy than me. As I just wrote in a previous comment, I really like this one but it didn't blow me away... yet(?). Will spin this at least once every single day, so by the time it's released I have listened to it more than enough to judge properly.

Hits total: 39449 | This month: 82