Aesop Dekker - drums, percussion
Jason William Walton - bass

Additional musicians:
Nathanaël Larochette - acoustic guitars
B. Anderson - piano, throat singing
Veleda Thorsson - electric saw, waterphone
R. Sforcina - synthesizers, oscillation & wires

Additional info
Produced by Billy Anderson and Agalloch.

Recorded at Cloud City and mixed at Everything Hz by Billy Anderson. Guest appearance by guitarist Nathanaël Larochette of Musk Ox, who wrote and provided the album's acoustic interludes.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Agalloch have never favoured doom as forcefully as they have on The Serpent & The Sphere. So blatantly delivered, it would appear that this new resolve has completely shattered their ability and will to instil the expected level of atmosphere in their fifth full-length effort. But appearances can be deceiving.

Read more ››
published 13.05.2014 | Comments (39)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 8

Comments: 221   Visited by: 1677 users
07.05.2014 - 00:23
Rating: 7
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 06.05.2014 at 23:15

Oh shit you liked this? If this isn't proof that this album is amazing then I don't know what is. I actually agree entirely that Dark Matter and Celestial are the best tracks off the album (after about 7 listens or so in the past two days). I'm completely obsessed with this album. Best album of the year (which says a lot since I gave Tekel-Li a 10 and regard that as one of my favorite albums ever at the moment). Seriously unbelievable stuff, I'm convinced that John Haughm is a wizard

Yeah, also surprised that Joe likes it, seeing as he really dislikes The Mantle (judging from that damn 5 he gave it ). I happen to think this album is very consistent and it's somehow extremely hard for me to pick a favourite song. I guess Celestial Effigy would be my first choice, but after that I have no clue. Oh, and John Haughm is pretty damn amazing. I could know, because I saw him (Agalloch) live almost a year ago. He was awesome there. I still can't help but thinking they actually played a new song back then, because they played one song that I never heard and it was really in the vein of this album, style-wise. But it's nearly a year ago, when these tracks probably didn't even exist in the first place (or did they?).
07.05.2014 - 00:46
Erik M.

Written by Saiyanity on 05.05.2014 at 07:45

Yup those are birds. Took me a while to figure out that myself. Makes perfect sense given the lyrics.

I must admit I like the artwork(s) more now. Strange I never noticed it before, haha.
07.05.2014 - 03:42
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 07.05.2014 at 02:33

It really is a grower. I can't get enough of Astral Dialogue and Dark Matter Gods now after initially being somewhat disappointed by them.

Agreed. I've listened to it 9 times and I feel as though I've enjoyed it more and more in each listen
07.05.2014 - 17:46
PocketMetal

I LOVE titles like "Birth And Death Of The Pillars Of Creation" and "Plateau Of The Ages". The music is pretty lovely too.
08.05.2014 - 00:00
Rating: 6
mz

Really like , but it's not on par with mantle and AAtG but definitely an step up from MotS.
I'd probably rate it something between 8.5 and 9.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.05.2014 - 01:06
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by mz on 08.05.2014 at 00:00

Really like , but it's not on par with mantle and AAtG but definitely an step up from MotS.

I would actually rate it as my second favorite Agalloch release after The Mantle. At this point (which is a little over 10 listens in) I'm completely stunned by it
08.05.2014 - 01:11
mz

Written by Alex F on 08.05.2014 at 01:06

I would actually rate it as my second favorite Agalloch release after The Mantle. At this point (which is a little over 10 listens in) I'm completely stunned by it

Listened to it 3 times. It's really good but I do miss the nihilistic atmosphere of AAtG ot desolate depression of the mantle.
----
08.05.2014 - 13:36
Saiyanity

Given this roughly 10 spins over the last few days and I can confidently say that this album not only lived up to my expectations (which were astronomically high) but far exceeded them. Album of the year at this point as far as I'm concerned. Instrumentally the performances on this disk are stunning, particularly the drums, which I would say are best of Agalloch's catalog so far. The melodies are superb as well and the songwriting is through the roof. The production is near flawless and brings out the performances wonderfully. As some others have stated this feels like Agalloch's previous 4 LP's rolled into one while also bringing fresh sounds to the table. A very layered album with lots to digest, always something new to discover on each spin. I've found myself enjoying this more and more each time I listen to it. Will probably be giving this a 10 when it's released. Believe the hype.
08.05.2014 - 14:21
God Alone

Every Agalloch album loses something of the previous one, and gains... something else. It's all about details. This time they've sacrificed immediacy (yes, I thought that Marrow was pretty simple album, despite the average song length), therefore those who feel disappointed should wait a bit, give it more time and let it grow on them. It's probably their most complex work (as I expected), with some really eerie vibes that I've never heard even in their darkest songs. This album does have something new to offer, contrarily to what people say.
Oh and I'm really loving those acoustic interludes. Stark, concise, perfectly placed.
09.05.2014 - 09:35
Rating: 8
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Already got it! Living in the US paid off for once!
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
10.05.2014 - 18:26
raveneffect

This is just amazing
10.05.2014 - 23:25
Reaper_Redeemer

Once more a quality album. In Agalloch we trust
11.05.2014 - 19:46
John Shock

Written by God Alone on 08.05.2014 at 14:21

Every Agalloch album loses something of the previous one, and gains... something else. It's all about details. This time they've sacrificed immediacy (yes, I thought that Marrow was pretty simple album, despite the average song length), therefore those who feel disappointed should wait a bit, give it more time and let it grow on them. It's probably their most complex work (as I expected), with some really eerie vibes that I've never heard even in their darkest songs. This album does have something new to offer, contrarily to what people say.
Oh and I'm really loving those acoustic interludes. Stark, concise, perfectly placed.

I totally agree!!!
You should write a review my friend, with this you just said because it's true...
It's dark, hypnotic, and those acoustic parts are just amazing to listen to!!!
I think i wouldn't change a thing of it!!!
12.05.2014 - 12:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Seats somewhere between Mantle and Ashes. Which is a perfect mix if you ask me. I'm so glad they didn't follow the Marrow/Faustian path. They're at their best when they stick to their older style. The album is very engaging and interesting, my attention had no chance to drift away. My first listen was in my car - man, was this a nice trip with Agalloch providing the soundtrack. An 8 for sure. Will have to see if this grows on me more to grant a 9.
12.05.2014 - 14:11
Rating: 9
rdhelli@gmail.com

Definitely Agalloch, the sound, the songwriting and the athmosphere. I was very much interested, what direction would the band take after the album the marrow of the spirit. After the first few spins, I can say I'm impressed, and satisfied, nice new ideas and the progression of their style. It is very unfortunate then, that it's missing those few haunting moments, for which it was worth above all waiting, drifting in the streams of their mesmerizing, monotonous music. I often thought at those points that the whole of their music is just a brilliant preparation for those very moments.
13.05.2014 - 00:07
Erik M.

Written by mz on 08.05.2014 at 00:00

Totally agreed. Definitely not as good as The Mantle (which is a little under a 9.5 for me) and Ashes Against the Grain (a little above a 9.5). Pale Folklore is around a 9.0 and this one is 8.5-9.0 material so I'd rank it at #4, above the 8-8.5 Marrow of the Spirit.

Then again, I've "only" listened to this 6 times, so my rating might go up or down.
13.05.2014 - 00:15
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 13.05.2014 at 00:07

Totally agreed. Definitely not as good as The Mantle (which is a little under a 9.5 for me) and Ashes Against the Grain (a little above a 9.5). Pale Folklore is around a 9.0 and this one is 8.5-9.0 material so I'd rank it at #4, above the 8-8.5 Marrow of the Spirit.
Then again, I've "only" listened to this 6 times, so my rating might go up or down.

Just to add to the line of rankings, mine would go as follows; The Mantle, The Serpent & The Sphere, Ashes Against The Grain, Marrow Of The Spirit, and Pale Folklore. The Mantle is my favorite album of all time along with Pink Floyd's "Meddle", so it's pretty damn impossible for a band to top it. I am still completely awestruck with this release, and love every little aspect of it (and iTunes says I've listened to it 16 times...)
13.05.2014 - 00:24
mz

Written by Guest on 12.05.2014 at 14:19

Personally, what's lacking are John's piercing vocals that you hear in 'Not Unlike the Waves' and 'Black Lake Nidstang'. The bit at 8:38 of 'Birth and Death of the Pillars of Creation' just doesn't cut it for me unfortunately.

totally agreed.
----
13.05.2014 - 00:27
mz

Written by Erik M. on 13.05.2014 at 00:07

I think I'm liking it more than what I initially though, but still think that mantle and AAtG top this. To be more honest, the best agalloch moments for me are on AAtG but generally, that album is not as consistent as this one and mantle (because of two parts of our fortress...).
----
13.05.2014 - 00:30
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 13.05.2014 at 00:15

Just to add to the line of rankings, mine would go as follows; The Mantle, The Serpent & The Sphere, Ashes Against The Grain, Marrow Of The Spirit, and Pale Folklore. The Mantle is my favorite album of all time along with Pink Floyd's "Meddle", so it's pretty damn impossible for a band to top it. I am still completely awestruck with this release, and love every little aspect of it (and iTunes says I've listened to it 16 times...)

As I said, I'm totally not blown away by this one, for some reason. I really like it of course, but I have to be honest that I'm slightly disappointed by this album. My expectations were extremely high, after all. I expected the quality of The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain. In my opinion this album is definitely LESS great than those.
13.05.2014 - 00:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Erik M. on 13.05.2014 at 00:30
My expectations were extremely high.

I doubt it. You gave it a 9.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 00:39
Erik M.

Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 00:27

I think I'm liking it more than what I initially though, but still think that mantle and AAtG top this. To be more honest, the best agalloch moments for me are on AAtG but generally, that album is not as consistent as this one and mantle (because of two parts of our fortress...).

The Mantle and AAtG top this without a single doubt. Both are majestic as fuck, much more so than this one. The only "bad" thing about AAtG is the 3rd part of the very last song, but even then it's a 9.5+ album. Without that song it would really be near-perfect. The Mantle has a few of the best tracks they ever wrote, but is less consistent for me because I'm not fond of instrumental tracks at all, so I like those WAY less than absolutely brilliant tracks such as In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion and You Were But a Ghost in My Arms. So for me AAtG totally beats all other Agalloch albums without a single doubt.

What I dislike about this album are the 3 instrumental tracks. I would've preferred one instrumental track (Cor Serpentis (The Sphere) I'd choose in that case) and instead of the other 2 unnecessary instrumental tracks one extra "real" song. I can't say enough times how much I dislike instrumental songs. Generally they're so much more forgettable than non-instrumental tracks (The Hawthorne Passage is a nice exception though).
13.05.2014 - 00:43
God Alone

Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 00:27

that album is not as consistent as this one and mantle (because of two parts of our fortress...).

For me, the "Our Fortress.." trilogy is one of the best thing Agalloch have ever done. Especially the noisy outro is otherworldly, majestic and terrifying; a perfect closer to an already monumental album.

[/OT]

I'm on the 15th listen and while I still think this is not the best Agalloch album, it would be unfair to compare it to the others - each of them is very different.
And I've also realized that the more the discography broadens, the more I love every album this wonderful band has released.
That said, Pale Folklore might be my least favourite; and it's still a pretty great album.
13.05.2014 - 00:48
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2014 at 00:34

I doubt it. You gave it a 9.

As I said, this is a 8.5-9 at the moment. If half point ratings were possible, it would without a doubt be an 8.5 album for me. And I expected a 9.5 album, so in that sense my expectations weren't met. Btw, my 9 rating can drop to an 8 in the future.
13.05.2014 - 00:53
Erik M.

Written by God Alone on 13.05.2014 at 00:43

For me, the "Our Fortress.." trilogy is one of the best thing Agalloch have ever done. Especially the noisy outro is otherworldly, majestic and terrifying; a perfect closer to an already monumental album.

Totally agreed on the "Our Fortress is Burning" song. The first part is one of the best intro's EVER to be heard in music and the 2nd part is just goosebumps-inducingly beautiful and majestic. The last part is certainly otherworldly and has a scary atmosphere to it, yet I still like it far less than the first two parts of the song. In any case, it's too long. If it were half its duration, it would've been better for sure.
13.05.2014 - 01:08
God Alone

Written by Erik M. on 13.05.2014 at 00:53

In any case, it's too long. If it were half its duration, it would've been better for sure.

Hah! I wish it was waaaay longer, like 20+ minutes.
But then again, I'm a sucker for bloated drone/noise marathons so my opinion isn't very reliable.
13.05.2014 - 01:10
Erik M.

Written by God Alone on 13.05.2014 at 01:08

Hah! I wish it was waaaay longer, like 20+ minutes.
But then again, I'm a sucker for bloated drone/noise marathons so my opinion isn't very reliable.

Hehe, I'm listening to it now as I type this and it is a pretty damn interesting track due to its creepy and mysterious atmosphere. And in contrary to you, I'm totally not a fan of drone/noise, so that's probably why we have a different opinion.
13.05.2014 - 03:47
Opethian

A lot of 9's and 10's. I'll have to find out for myself ..
13.05.2014 - 04:04
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I like this album a lot, really great stuff. Best album of the year so far.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
13.05.2014 - 05:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Great album, is just as good as Marrow Of The Spirit. It's a pity I didn't enjoy the interludes, it was boring for my ears. Leaving that aside, the first song, Dark Matter Gods and Plateau Of The Ages are my favorites.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.

Hits total: 39509 | This month: 46