Metal Storm logo
10th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

The 10th Annual Metal Storm Awards are now open for voting. Polling will last through the end of February, so take your time and check out our nominees.

Feel free to tell us how awesome our picks are/how much we blow goats because we don't like your favorite band below.

Enjoy.

Or don't.

Team MS.

\m/
Posted: 01.02.2014 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 6

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 173   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 983 users
01.02.2014 - 18:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by greg_br on 01.02.2014 at 18:08

No Black Sabbath, Sepultura and Almah? Dahell is wrong with you people?

Well, I haven't listened to that third one, but I can tell you right now that the Sabbath and Sepultura releases this year were both pretty mediocre
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.02.2014 - 18:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
WHY ISN'T X ALBUM HERE? IT HAS A 9.8 WITH THREE VOTES WTF YOU GUYS ARE STUPID.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.02.2014 - 18:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by LeChron James on 01.02.2014 at 11:22

That's gotta be the worst metal related ass photo in history. I EXPECTED BETTER. haha.

Wholeheartedly agreed, why it was even picked is a mystery to me. Nothing says "I listen to Burzum in my mom's basement" more than a pic of a "metal" girls ass.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.02.2014 - 19:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I'm pissed Voices didn't get in. Unacceptable.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.02.2014 - 20:12
MeloDeathViking
For anyone having trouble finding the albums to check out, look on Spotify. They were my best friend during last two MS Awards.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.02.2014 - 20:17
JohnDoe
Account deleted
To all those who complain about their favorite album not being nominated - do a write-in vote to heal your frustration!
01.02.2014 - 20:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Zap on 01.02.2014 at 00:13

Haha, there really weren't any thrash albums worthy of nomination this year
EDIT: Shit, there was. It's called Skeletonwitch, and it wasn't even nominated

Well, including Skeletonwitch's new nomination won't affect it much either. Their new record wasnt good at all. Same with Toxic Holocaust. I do agree with weak thrash category which doesnt have anything(as i said in earlier post). But, still a tight scoop between Power Trip, Black Fast or Death Angel.
01.02.2014 - 20:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Just look at the Death Metal category, hotdamn!
Not a great year for Doom/Extreme Doom, aside from a couple of really good albums from each categorie the rest are just good.
The easy votes I'll be casting are : Ulcerate, Lychgate and Funeralium.
I'll have a really hard time deciding between Steven Wilson and Leprous (Prog) and Kylesa and SubRosa (Sludge/Stoner).

Cheers guys for 10 awesome years of music

EDIT : The lack of Cloudkicker saddens me though.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.02.2014 - 22:32
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.02.2014 at 18:46

Wholeheartedly agreed, why it was even picked is a mystery to me. Nothing says "I listen to Burzum in my mom's basement" more than a pic of a "metal" girls ass.

There's that stereotype of the basement dweller, for sure. But my beef is that the picture selected is terrible. We live in an age where everyone thinks they're a photographer and there are entire websites dedicated to girls posing in very little to no clothing and flaunting themselves. My ass looks better than that one, and that is a terrifying prospect. I mean, I'm fairly sure that MS coulda gotten the rights to some photo of a girl with a "not Miley Cyrus-looking" ass for the MS awards banner.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.02.2014 - 22:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by LeChron James on 01.02.2014 at 22:32
I mean, I'm fairly sure that MS coulda gotten the rights to some photo of a girl with a "not Miley Cyrus-looking" ass for the MS awards banner.

An ass from a Suicide Girl would have been amazing. D:
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2014 - 23:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2014 at 22:51

Hell yeah it would've been! None of this untoned, flat nonsense. An ass that can fill out those leather shorts is required hahaha
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.02.2014 - 02:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Where should these bands go with write-in votes:
Witherscape - death, melodeath, prog?
A Sound Of Thunder - heavy, power, prog?
Controle Human Delete - black, industrial?
Dark Moor - power, sympnonic?
Dream Death - death, doom, thrash?
Skeletal Spectre - death, doom, extreme doom?
Eternal Tears OF Sorrow - extreme power, symphonic?
Fleshgod Apocalypse - death, symphonic?
I assume Place Vendome would count as hard rock?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.02.2014 - 02:38
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2014 at 02:09

Where should these bands go with write-in votes:
Witherscape - death, melodeath, prog?
A Sound Of Thunder - heavy, power, prog?
Controle Human Delete - black, industrial?
Dark Moor - power, sympnonic?
Dream Death - death, doom, thrash?
Eternal Tears OF Sorrow - extreme power, symphonic?
Fleshgod Apocalypse - death, symphonic?
I assume Place Vendome would count as hard rock?

Witherscape: prog
A Sound Of Thunder: heavy
Control Human Delete: is a nominee in Industrial/Cyber/Electronic metal
Dark Moor: power
Dream Death: is a nominee in Thrash
Skeletal Spectre: no idea, as I haven't heard them
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow: extreme power
Fleshgod Apocalypse: death
Place Vendome: haven't heard much of them either, but yes, hard rock.
02.02.2014 - 02:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by R'Vannith on 02.02.2014 at 02:38

Control Human Delete: is a nominee in Industrial/Cyber/Electronic metal
Dream Death: is a nominee in Thrash

Oops, must have missed them. Thanks.
----
02.02.2014 - 03:29
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by greg_br on 01.02.2014 at 18:08

I just think Shining (NOR) belong to Avantgarde.

From an interview with Jørgen Munkeby:

"Then in 2007 I started rediscovering metal. I listened to my old stuff, Death and Emperor, and then I started discovering newer stuff like Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails. I also found Ministry's live album In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up, and that's when industrial music became important to me."

I personally think it shows. Blackjazz was undoubtedly avantgarde, but if you disregard that album and only focus on their current output, why would you think that One One One is avantgarde?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.02.2014 - 04:40
Moose
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2014 at 17:53

Written by Moose on 01.02.2014 at 17:49

+1
They're the biggest non-inclusion I've noticed this year. It's currently at a rating of 9.1.
Of the ones which did make the cut, I'm seeing a lot of below-par releases from well known bands (Killswitch, Kvelertak, etc).

Some of us liked it... some didn't (I didn't). Shit happens.

10% of Killswitch's votes are 10's.
47% of Ovid's votes are 10's.

As we can see, only a very small proportion of metalstormers thought Killswitch released a great album, with the general consensus being "meh, it's ok, but nothing special".
Why nominate an album which Metalstorm users thought was just average? This is the awards for BEST albums of the year!
02.02.2014 - 10:50
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.02.2014 at 18:46

There's that stereotype of the basement dweller, for sure. But my beef is that the picture selected is terrible. We live in an age where everyone thinks they're a photographer and there are entire websites dedicated to girls posing in very little to no clothing and flaunting themselves. My ass looks better than that one, and that is a terrifying prospect. I mean, I'm fairly sure that MS coulda gotten the rights to some photo of a girl with a "not Miley Cyrus-looking" ass for the MS awards banner.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2014 at 22:51

I mean, I'm fairly sure that MS coulda gotten the rights to some photo of a girl with a "not Miley Cyrus-looking" ass for the MS awards banner.

You guys have to vote or lick an ass?
02.02.2014 - 10:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

I heard 'em.

Apart from that nasty vox, I think it should go into Doom Metal category.
02.02.2014 - 11:07
Antidote
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not surprised DT was not nominated, but I am for Fates warning having no nomination.

That surprised me too.
02.02.2014 - 11:20
phanto
Vallendusk is best everything 2013.
02.02.2014 - 11:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Best vocal passage of 2013: the bridge in Watain's They Rode On.
----
02.02.2014 - 11:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Moose on 02.02.2014 at 04:40
As we can see, only a very small proportion of metalstormers thought Killswitch released a great album, with the general consensus being "meh, it's ok, but nothing special".
Why nominate an album which Metalstorm users thought was just average? This is the awards for BEST albums of the year!

If I were to answer your question... I'd go into detail about how the awards are done and that's simply a no-no. I agree with you in this particular case but It's a bit more complicated that simply "put stuff that the majority of the users like" I can only say that at least write-ins are possible.

Pleasing everyone (staff or not) is impossible. Which makes this work all the more awesome once we are done and see the carnage in these threads. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of pissed off people, to be honest. You guys are being very polite now!
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2014 - 12:10
I really enjoyed the riverside's album.but it doesnt sound metal to me and i wondered when i saw it among nominees
02.02.2014 - 13:34
Uldreth
Written by Moose on 02.02.2014 at 04:40

10% of Killswitch's votes are 10's.
47% of Ovid's votes are 10's.

I could argue that KSE has a reputation as a seminal metalcore band, which is on a site like this, is not necessarily the most positive reputation to have while, despite being a deathcore band, Ovid has no such reputation, which can also result in Ovid getting much more favourable votes. But I'm just extrapolating here.

I agree with you, but this isn't really a popularity contest, as the staff members are the sole ones to decide here. I'm just a bit surprised since I remember KSE divided staffers, while Ovid seemed to have an undividedly positive reception, and a quite similiar album, Make Them Suffer's Neverbloom was nominated last year.

At any rate, it is not a huge issue though, I am relatively content with the results of this Awards.
Another thing that irks me a bit is the aforementioned un-segregation of the death metal category, as right now it seems to be filled with OSDM and post-DM, whilst I'd defo like to check out some tech-death, which is almost completely absent from the awards.
02.02.2014 - 16:21
Lethrokai
Written by Darkness Shiner on 02.02.2014 at 12:10

I really enjoyed the riverside's album.but it doesnt sound metal to me and i wondered when i saw it among nominees

I felt this too. It seemed more like a prog rock album with just a slightly heavier edge to it. Nothing was really that "metal" about it.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
02.02.2014 - 16:28
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:21

I felt this too. It seemed more like a prog rock album with just a slightly heavier edge to it. Nothing was really that "metal" about it.

true. But prog is one of those categoeries where we "accidentaly" let slip not-totally-metal albums as long as we feel they're relevant, that is
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.02.2014 - 16:35
Lethrokai
Written by Darkside Momo on 02.02.2014 at 16:28

Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:21

true. But prog is one of those categoeries where we "accidentaly" let slip not-totally-metal albums as long as we feel they're relevant, that is

Heh, good point. One of the reasons I actually like prog is because of how vague it can be at times!
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
02.02.2014 - 16:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Uldreth on 02.02.2014 at 13:34
tech-death, which is almost completely absent from the awards.

It's because we hate it MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2014 - 16:59
Windrider
Raureif
How can one change their vote again if he forgot or simply mistyped something?? I think this was possible in the last years... and crucial.
02.02.2014 - 17:04
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I hopped on to show my wife the bands I have voted for so far, and she was like, "OMG, is that a female butt?" Lol.

It's pretty bad yall. On a more serious note, I have pretty much missed a ton of releases in 2013. I have a lot of work to do in the next weeks. Also had to write Extol in for their new album ... so good.

Hits total: 8195 | This month: 26