05. A Cabin In The Sky
06. Heart Machine
07. Beaks Of Benevola
08. Twilight Cinema

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
As curious as it is, one of my favourite albums this year was released quite early at the beginning of the year. This stellar album blew me away when I first heard it and it has continued to amaze me throughout the year. I might even say, Twilight Cinema has already stood the test of time. It has definitely survived the initial round of childish excitement. Most importantly, however, each time I listen to it I'm still awed by the detailed theatrical expressiveness and beauty of this album.

Read more ››
published 16.12.2014 | Comments (5)

I know you have your plate full with Awards but, come on, this is just so much genuine, pure fun you're about to miss out on. It's not exactly avantgarde but it's playful and theatrical, it's sombre and poetic, it feels like watching a play. Basically it's what happens when prog goes cabaret in the head and feels just plain good about it.

If you fear to take on the whole album over at Bandcamp, just listen to the awesome "The Wheelbarrow."

Ivor's picks | More picks ››

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 336 users
01.02.2014 - 13:50
Rating: 8
Lethrokai

Welp, I'm impressed. This seems to be one that constantly crosses the border between prog and avant-garde.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.02.2014 - 13:51
Darkside Momo
Retired
The Wheelbarrow is good but seriously, do yourself a favor and listen to Beaks of Benevola or Twilight Cinema, both tracks are awesome
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.02.2014 - 06:26
Rating: 9
Diverge

I really tried not to give this a 9, but this is fucking superb.
02.02.2014 - 06:38
Diverge

Written by Lethrokai on 01.02.2014 at 13:50

Welp, I'm impressed. This seems to be one that constantly crosses the border between prog and avant-garde.

Not really. I wouldn't even classify this as avant-garde at all. It's just as Ivor put it: prog meets cabaret. There's nothing inherently experimental about this-- it's just a really great synthesis.
02.02.2014 - 16:16
Lethrokai

Written by Diverge on 02.02.2014 at 06:38

Written by Lethrokai on 01.02.2014 at 13:50

Not really. I wouldn't even classify this as avant-garde at all. It's just as Ivor put it: prog meets cabaret. There's nothing inherently experimental about this-- it's just a really great synthesis.

Well, I guess that's really down to your definition of avant-garde then. I find that that fusion of cabaret IS what makes it experimental. It's just down to how widely you define the genre.
----
02.02.2014 - 16:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:16

Well, I guess that's really down to your definition of avant-garde then. I find that that fusion of cabaret IS what makes it experimental. It's just down to how widely you define the genre.

well, just fusing cabaret stuff with rock isn't enough to call avant-garde, imo. A sure sign that something is avant, however, would be the "WTF?!" moments you experience while listening to something. Twilight Cinema has none of those (this doesn't make it "less great" or anything, mind you!)
----

I am awake"
02.02.2014 - 16:37
Lethrokai

Written by Darkside Momo on 02.02.2014 at 16:25

Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:16

well, just fusing cabaret stuff with rock isn't enough to call avant-garde, imo. A sure sign that something is avant, however, would be the "WTF?!" moments you experience while listening to something. Twilight Cinema has none of those (this doesn't make it "less great" or anything, mind you!)

True, but in that case, then I can honestly say that there have been many "avant-garde" albums where I haven't experienced that feeling either. Genre classification is stupid and subjective anyway.
(Besides, the music's awesome, so why are we even arguing about this!? )
----
02.02.2014 - 16:43
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:37

True, but in that case, then I can honestly say that there have been many "avant-garde" albums where I haven't experienced that feeling either. Genre classification is stupid and subjective anyway.

so that this thread stays in the first page of updated topics
----

I am awake"
02.02.2014 - 16:44
Lethrokai

Written by Darkside Momo on 02.02.2014 at 16:43

Written by Lethrokai on 02.02.2014 at 16:37

so that this thread stays in the first page of updated topics

Heh, I guess I can't argue with that logic!
----
02.02.2014 - 21:52
In5anity

WOW! Where has this band been my whole life?!
02.02.2014 - 23:37
Ivor
Staff
I'm glad you're all enjoying this so much. Sharing is caring, glad to have made you all happy.

Written by In5anity on 02.02.2014 at 21:52

You know, I'm sort of asking the same question. The rest of their discography isn't as brilliant as the Twilight Cinema but it's still good stuff, definitely better than going under my radar.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
03.02.2014 - 06:10
mordecai
Account deleted
The Wheelbarrow is great. Thanks man for introduce me to the band!
03.02.2014 - 20:34
PocketMetal

Great band indeed , I already know I won't be rating it lower than 8 . This music is really good but I'm not in shock or anything , I can always use some nicely done strange stuff like this though.
03.02.2014 - 20:57
In5anity

Written by Ivor on 02.02.2014 at 23:37

Written by In5anity on 02.02.2014 at 21:52

You know, I'm sort of asking the same question. The rest of their discography isn't as brilliant as the Twilight Cinema but it's still good stuff, definitely better than going under my radar.

I.

I directly bought Twilight Cinema and Songs From A Solitary Home after listening to your link. The latter is different (more like a mixture of Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Polkadot Cadaver ) from TC but I still like it very much. I think we missed this band all the time because it's just labeled as Rock and I already listened to every band on Metalstorm, that is labeled as progressive, experimental or avantgarde.

btw: They released an awesome single on youtube only last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzfFEB0ipc
03.02.2014 - 22:32
Ivor
Staff
Written by In5anity on 03.02.2014 at 20:57

I directly bought Twilight Cinema and Songs From A Solitary Home after listening to your link. The latter is different (more like a mixture of Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Polkadot Cadaver ) from TC but I still like it very much. I think we missed this band all the time because it's just labeled as Rock and I already listened to every band on Metalstorm, that is labeled as progressive, experimental or avantgarde.

btw: They released an awesome single on youtube only last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNzfFEB0ipc

Heh, I also bought the full discography after the first run. Awesome that I'm not the only on. As for discovering, I added the band solely for the staff pick, so you couldn't have found it here on MS before this. And I think it actually has to be relabeled as prog rock at the very least. Rock seems to be saying very little about the nature of the band.

Written by PocketMetal on 03.02.2014 at 20:34

This music is really good but I'm not in shock or anything

Oh, there's no shock as to the music and it's strangeness, the shock, as you might refer to it, is that it's just so damn good and that this band has been around for years and I've only stumbled across it just now.

I.
----
/---/
04.02.2014 - 13:16
mz

I have no idea about cabaret but this is great. Relaxing and fun. Thanks goes to Ivor.
EDIT: I've listened to this for 10 times today probably. It's damn sweat and I'm having hard time stopping listening to it.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.02.2014 - 22:09
In5anity

Written by Ivor on 03.02.2014 at 22:32

Written by In5anity on 03.02.2014 at 20:57

Heh, I also bought the full discography after the first run. Awesome that I'm not the only on. As for discovering, I added the band solely for the staff pick, so you couldn't have found it here on MS before this. And I think it actually has to be relabeled as prog rock at the very least. Rock seems to be saying very little about the nature of the band.

Totally agree, Prog Rock or perhaps Experimental Rock sounds right. From something just called Rock, I'd expect something more....Bon Jovi-ish.
05.02.2014 - 03:52
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Great stuff right here, maybe it's not the kind of album that blows my mind in terms of experimentation, but this is so well done that it deserves more than a couple of listens. Thanks for sharing music as enjoyable as this great album.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
11.02.2014 - 22:19
Doge of Venice

This album is so good. Been listening to it fairly thoroughly and I can only really find a few negatives. The singing is much more solid than on the previous albums, he doesn't try to sing out of his range as much, and the mood and atmosphere is solid throughout. Possibly a few blips regarding some choices in the last few songs, some bits sound harsher than I personally feel they should be, and the end leaves something to be desired. Though that may be intentional. Kind of like a cliffhanger for the next album.
13.02.2014 - 17:39
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Good stuff, reminded me of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum at times, especially the male vocals.
18.02.2014 - 22:59
Zap
"Beaks Of Benevola" is gorgeous.
06.03.2014 - 03:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Loved it! It was really refreshing. It bothers me a bit how the vocals are placed in the mix but I guess it was intended.
23.04.2014 - 01:41
Rating: 10
raveneffect

Everything about this record is just bizarre in the best possible way. The building, the lyrics, the riffs, the madness in the Singer's voice, the use of the female vocalist, the carnivale sound...it's a journey, like Rush's Hemispheres or Pink Floyd's The Wall. After listening to a track on youtube I went to their bandcamp and just ordered the Digipack instantly. I never do this, but this record its just that great.

perfect 10/10 for me and one of the best records of the year.
11.05.2014 - 21:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Jolly good and wacky. Particularly liked 'Beaks of Benevola'.
11.05.2014 - 23:39
Ivor
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.05.2014 at 21:55

Jolly good and wacky. Particularly liked 'Beaks of Benevola'.

Heh, took you long enough to get around to this one. Glad you like it, though.

I.
----
/---/
11.05.2014 - 23:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ivor on 11.05.2014 at 23:39

Heh, took you long enough to get around to this one. Glad you like it, though.

I.

Yeah it's taken me a while to get around to certain albums this year, even ones I'd been anticipating. Definitely glad I gave this a go though, serious quality stuff.
13.05.2014 - 18:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 17:40

Best track!

Those clean female vocals are pretty sublime.
13.07.2014 - 19:47
Hazelnut Nero

Best album until now in the whole universe for 2014 !!!!!
06.01.2015 - 22:28
Erik M.

Best progressive rock/metal I've heard in years. That doesn't say a lot in my case but it's nonetheless a highly enjoyable, cheery album with loads of variety to it sound-wise.
03.02.2015 - 14:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 18:09

Written by Guest on 13.05.2014 at 17:40

Best track!

Those clean female vocals are pretty sublime.

Holy fuck I got a Dido vibe the moment I heard those vocals. That's instant winning quality right there. The bass, beats and the dude's vocals are great as well. Will check the entire shit later today.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 8349 | This month: 30