Metal Storm logo
The Next Big Thing in Black Metal

Original post

Posted by -tom-, 15.01.2007 - 17:36
Just wondered what demo bands people think will become popular in the coming years. If we say now what upcoming bands we think will become very successful (relative to the black metal scene) then in a few years time we can all look back and see how right i was.

i bet a penny on Vassafor, Ash Pool and Nightbringer.

Also worthy of a mention (though less likely to become widely known): Teitanblood, Anal Blasphemy and Begrime Exemoius

Anything else worth a listen?
21.01.2011 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Vombatus on 20.01.2011 at 02:41

I think black & sludge already exists, even if I didn't look around for alot of bands....

Dragged Into Sunlight, yes ? Mainly blackened sludge with some death/doom.

black and sludge indeed does exist. Coffinworm springs to mind as does Alkerdeel.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2011 - 00:29
Vombatus
Potorro
Quote:
Quote:

black and sludge indeed does exist. Coffinworm springs to mind as does Alkerdeel.

Yeah, Coffinworm defenetely. Bongripper too (discovered both bands with the Staff Picks )

Ohhhhh just checked Alkerdeel... some sweet stuff indeed
22.01.2011 - 00:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Vombatus on 22.01.2011 at 00:29

Yeah, Coffinworm defenetely. Bongripper too (discovered both bands with the Staff Picks )

Ohhhhh just checked Alkerdeel... some sweet stuff indeed

Bongripper I don't find that black, but maybe I wa shalf asleep listening to it
Will be seeing Alkerdeel coming Sunday for the second time. Now supporting Forgotten Tomb and Faal (black, post rock funeral doom, death doom mixed up)and Anaphylactic Shock (also nice sludgy band though no black)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.01.2011 - 04:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Bongripper is stoner-sludge. not black, even if the title implies such. and i'm the staffy who picked it. good stuff, but not black.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.01.2011 - 17:39
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by BitterCOld on 22.01.2011 at 04:26

Bongripper is stoner-sludge. not black, even if the title implies such. and i'm the staffy who picked it. good stuff, but not black.

I agree you can't label them as black. But I just mentioned them coz some of their riffs do have a black metal influence, like on "Satan".
26.01.2011 - 09:16
SerratedSyringe
Quote:

Ain't that Ambient?
I think somebody should put sludge and black metal together.

As mentioned, DIS was the first band to come to mind. Goatwhore also plays black/sludge with heavy death and thrash influences as well. If I weren't about to pass out, I'd look for more....
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
26.01.2011 - 18:06
Slayer666
I guess the next big thing in BM are the various shoegaze/post-punk/post-what-ever-you-can-fucking-come-up-with kind of bands that tend to pop out like daisies these days. I do recall someone using the term "Emo Black Metal" to describe these bands, and I kind of agree. This kind of BM can be excellent, if done right, like Heretoir, but it can also fail quite miserably.
The interesting thing about these bands is that they ditch the medieval point of view where Satan is an evil red dude with a goat's head and legs, instead portraying Satan as the evil of every-day urban life (drugs, crime, violence, filth etc.). Although, such bands tend to focus lyrically more on the themes of depression, loneliness, suicide and such.
27.01.2011 - 14:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yep, Diapsiquir being the prime example imo. These bands are not only ditching the 'evil red dude' as a whole, though, they're also ditching the ice-cold tremolo-picking style of Black metal. Most of these bands are only "Black metal" in their attitude, aesthetics and "philosophy" (bleh, pretentious). The many, many different offsprings are 'diluting' the genre these days, saying "they're Black metal" could mean basically anything these days. It's not like in the old days, where Black metal = Darkthrone pretty much, and you'd have a good idea of their sound before having heard it.

Good stuff, btw.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.01.2011 - 02:33
ANGEL REAPER
BACK TO THE OLD SCHOOL BLACK METAL!That is the way to go...
Yes i'm tired of pointless blast biting,fast tremolo picking,synth/orchestra instumentals on top of it,inhuman vocals that is digitally processed,and pointless lyrics that 99% of people even dont know/understand (Dimmu Borgir anyone?)...
Also commercialization of this genre that in beginning was underground for a purpose(You cant be mainstream underground,right?)
So to make myself clear >OLD SCHOOL BLACK METAL<
anyone else have the same idea?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.01.2011 - 08:41
marouco
The future lies within a few of this lusitanian bands...all different making their arts:
Alchemist
www.myspace.com/alchemistbm
Mother of Hydra
www.myspace.com/motherofthehydra
Morte Incandescente
www.myspace.com/morteincandescente
Irae
www.myspace.com/irae666
Pestilencia
www.myspace.com/pestilencialusa
28.01.2011 - 13:40
Slayer666
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.01.2011 at 02:33

If by this you mean stuff like early Bathory, Sodom etc. I really can't agree with you. I always hated the so called First Wave.

@Lucas
Diapsiquir is not what I had in mind. I really can't see that kind of music making it big, it's way too fucked up and random.
I'm talking stuff like Heretoir, Thränenkind, Dopamine etc. where you can really hear classic BM, but heavily mixed with shoegaze, post-punk and whatnot.
28.01.2011 - 14:06
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Slayer666 on 28.01.2011 at 13:40

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.01.2011 at 02:33

If by this you mean stuff like early Bathory, Sodom etc. I really can't agree with you. I always hated the so called First Wave.

Well ...the golden years of first wave and beginning of the second wave....and yes I think of Bathory,Hellhammer,Venom, but also early Mayhem,Burzum, even early Dimmu Borgir....
BTW that is just the matter of tastes but than again currently in BM everything is a bit tasteless...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.08.2011 - 05:02
WolfOfMetal456
Account deleted
Wolves In The Throne Room and Krallice maybe...
10.08.2011 - 05:09
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 10.08.2011 at 05:02

Wolves In The Throne Room and Krallice maybe...

I agree with the first.
10.08.2011 - 06:37
Void Eater
Account deleted
Inverted corpsepaint with ironic moustaches.
10.08.2011 - 07:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.08.2011 at 06:37
Inverted corpsepaint with ironic moustaches.

Nah, I've been doing that for a few years now.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2011 - 18:57
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Also look out for black metal bands who incorporate electronic music into their albums. Blut Aus Nord, Blutmond and Lifelover come immediately to mind, and have all done excellent jobs of this on their most recent albums. Ihsahn tried this much earlier with his side project, Zyklon B, but he never managed to popularize the sound...plus...it didn't quite fit although it was ballsy experimentation.

As a fan of both metal and electronic music (I know...most of it is really shitty), this is going to be a necessary step that metal will eventually have to take if it wishes to continue to progress the way it has. It's no surprise that black metal bands continue to lead the way down the path of creativity and innovation.
----
Brujerizmo!