06. Ripening Life
07. The Perennial Link
08. Solace
09. Beyond Life's Sealed Abode
10. Terminus

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Within the past couple of years, the typically rigid subgenre of death metal has seen a good few bands challenge some of its more cliché formulas and ideas, to the point of becoming quite noteworthy needles that separate from the rest of the haystack. Portal have done it, Tribulation have done it, and this year, Morbus Chron are looking to get in on the action, doing one hell of a job at it in the process.

Read more ››
published 08.05.2014 | Comments (31)

Staff pick by
Account deleted
Morbus Chron appear to want a piece of the action that Tribulation got last year with their phenomenal The Formulas of Death album. Like them, they see themselves merging an old-school aesthetic with a modern twist. Death, thrash and progressive metal is blended harmoniously with mature songwriting and superbly organic production to create superlative atmosphere.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 34 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 470 users
09.02.2014 - 13:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Probably my most anticipated album now, based on that one song they released.
21.02.2014 - 15:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Good. Gooooood.
21.02.2014 - 15:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Album title reminds me of this:
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2014 - 13:21
Rating: 9
Paz
Elite
The best thing I've heard this year... Siriously fun riffing here.
23.02.2014 - 18:48
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Yeah this is some pretty great stuff. Definitely one of the better albums from 2014 so far
23.02.2014 - 20:25
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I wonder why people call it death metal while it's much closer to thrash, with quite a bit of prog. A very good album by the way.
24.02.2014 - 08:57
toxx
Supreme being
A good album! Really good! Not as Death Metal sounding as Sleepers in the rift, though, but still worth a listen!
25.02.2014 - 06:03
Skeptic
I listened to the one song in Stereogum and, I don't know why, but something about the song reminded me of "The Red in the Sky is Ours" by At the Gates. I don't know if it's the vocals, the dynamic songwriting with all the twists, stops and turns, or even the sometimes similar melodic riffing (after 3:28 specially) , but I got that feeling. An awesome feeling, by the way, because that first album from At the Gates is one of my favorites and a style of death metal that unfortunately never influenced many bands (at least to my knowledge, only Eucharist had an album with a similar style).

Although that song reminds me of that album, it still sounds very different. I like it a lot, and I'm certainly going to listen to the rest of the album and it will probably end up as one of my favorites of 2014.
25.02.2014 - 14:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Skeptic on 25.02.2014 at 06:03

I listened to the one song in Stereogum and, I don't know why, but something about the song reminded me of "The Red in the Sky is Yours" by At the Gates. I don't know if it's the vocals, the dynamic songwriting with all the twists, stops and turns, or even the sometimes similar melodic riffing (after 3:28 specially) , but I got that feeling. An awesome feeling, by the way, because that first album from At the Gates is one of my favorites and a style of death metal that unfortunately never influenced many bands (at least to my knowledge, only Eucharist had an album with a similar style).

Although that song reminds me of that album, it still sounds very different. I like it a lot, and I'm certainly going to listen to the rest of the album and it will probably end up as one of my favorites of 2014.

Actually I totally see what you mean. Just randomly put on a song and the song did resemble those tumbling, almost chaotic style of riffs from The Red Sky Is Yours at certain points.
01.03.2014 - 05:07
Mattybu
Well anything that combines thrash, death and prog in the style of The Red in the Sky is OURS ( ) should be pretty damn good... I want to this listen to this one.
01.03.2014 - 06:32
Skeptic
Quote:
Well anything that combines thrash, death and prog in the style of The Red in the Sky is OURS ( ) should be pretty damn good... I want to this listen to this one.

I noticed my terrible but funny mistake only after Joe quoted me. Well I edited my comment, I apparently don't like grammar mistakes as much as re-reading before posting, as crazy as it sounds
01.03.2014 - 06:33
Rulatore
Is this similar to their first one ? If yes, I'll just skip it.
01.03.2014 - 12:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2014 at 06:33

Is this similar to their first one ? If yes, I'll just skip it.

Less gritty, rough around the edges death metal, more refined, progressive-infused death and thrash, on a quite a balanced level. Definitely not the same.
01.03.2014 - 13:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Skeptic on 01.03.2014 at 06:32

I noticed my terrible but funny mistake only after Joe quoted me. Well I edited my comment, I apparently don't like grammar mistakes as much as re-reading before posting, as crazy as it sounds

It's because you're such a giving, sharing person and want to share the Red Sky my mistake of copying your mistake is worse though... should have picked up in it.
01.03.2014 - 16:46
Skeptic
Quote:
Less gritty, rough around the edges death metal, more refined, progressive-infused death and thrash, on a quite a balanced level. Definitely not the same.

Yes, it's definitely not similar to "The Red in the Sky is OURS" (:D), the feeling I had was just a first impression. The atmosphere is completely different, and the production and songwriting are, like Joe said, more refined. Even the genres and influences don''t entirely match, the At the Gates one is a death metal album with a lot of melody, while the Sweven's album seems, from my first impression, something more on the progressive side, with death, thrash and psychedelic influences.
02.03.2014 - 18:18
Rating: 7
Demerzel
This album's got a bunch of really great ideas, I just don't think they've been put together well enough as they should've. It just gets plainly boring at times. I can't get enough of that last song though, it's really brilliant.
02.03.2014 - 21:08
Rulatore
Written by Skeptic on 01.03.2014 at 16:46

Quote:

Yes, it's definitely not similar to "The Red in the Sky is OURS" (:D), the feeling I had was just a first impression. The atmosphere is completely different, and the production and songwriting are, like Joe said, more refined. Even the genres and influences don''t entirely match, the At the Gates one is a death metal album with a lot of melody, while the Sweven's album seems, from my first impression, something more on the progressive side, with death, thrash and psychedelic influences.

He wasn't comparing the album with At the gates, he was comparing with their debut

Although is different, I found it boring too.
03.03.2014 - 00:19
Skeptic
Quote:
He wasn't comparing the album with At the gates, he was comparing with their debut

Although is different, I found it boring too.

Oh, you're right. I guess I'm dumb
04.03.2014 - 04:15
DyingWorld
Along with Tribulation's new one, it's good to see some innovation in death metal these days. While I'm not a fan of a lot of modern sounding death metal, I felt that the resurgence of old school death metal had ran it's course a few years ago. I hope to get this album soon enough!
05.03.2014 - 19:56
Rating: 8
Poirot
I'm really enjoying this album, I might need more listens to give a definitive vote, but this is some really great progressive death.

EDIT : I'm downgrading to an 8, there are truly excellent parts, but also boring parts. Some songs are longer than they should be, especially "Towards a Dark Sky".
"Terminus" and "Perennial Link" are excellent songs though.
08.03.2014 - 02:00
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Some real riff worship going on here. I like how the oldschool death metal production goes with the modern sound of the band.
21.03.2014 - 21:00
Rating: 10
Lord_Agony
Really unique, awsome riffing
lyrically amazing
luv it
27.03.2014 - 09:12
Rating: 9
The Galactician
I feel like these guys really have their own sound, even with it being an amalgamation of various identifiable styles. Great, great stuff.
28.03.2014 - 19:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I like the cover. The comments here are encouraging too. I'll have to check this out
----
loves 小巫
02.04.2014 - 22:05
Uldreth
Written by Ag Fox on 28.03.2014 at 19:37

I like the cover. The comments here are encouraging too. I'll have to check this out

Same, at least if it is anything like The Red In Thy Sky Is Ours, I'd dig this.
02.04.2014 - 22:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Uldreth on 02.04.2014 at 22:05

It's totally nothing like At The Gates ever did.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.04.2014 - 22:30
Uldreth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.04.2014 at 22:19

Written by Uldreth on 02.04.2014 at 22:05

It's totally nothing like At The Gates ever did.

I haven't listened to this yet, just some comment above said that this (or at least one song) reminded him of TRITSIO.
03.04.2014 - 01:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Even Tomas Lindberg thinks there's some AtG in Morbus Chron (probably why he chose them to open for them on their upcoming tour). I happen to agree. It's only a little, but it's definitely there.
16.04.2014 - 14:44
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891321

How cute xd
29.04.2014 - 15:26
Rating: 8
Erik M.
Great album. This is a real grower as I like it more with every spin. The variety they put in this record is pretty impressive.

Hits total: 9353 | This month: 35