Metal Storm logo
Amorphis

Original post

Posted by EddieGunner, 20.05.2006 - 17:07
Amorphis new thread for new forum,
well i know almost everyone on forum said hwat they think or don't think about Amorphis, (my fav band of all times)
but im sure lots of memebrs here will or allready did saw Amorphis live on this new Euro Tour, so if u can tell us more about those shows, how was it what setlist was etc....
and what do u think about Amorphis new album Eclipse
30.12.2009 - 21:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ragana on 30.12.2009 at 21:54

Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2009 at 21:45

Amorphis seriously rocks.. atmospheric melodic heavy metal? is there such a genre? if so Amorphis must be playing it. i couldn't get to their show here since the price was ridiculously high(i wouldn't go if they came back next week tbh if they had the same 80 ron price tag)

Well... at least they actually came to your country, think about that. XD

i'm not the one who lives across the bay from Finland and Sweden you know

btw are you a Stormwitch fan?
30.12.2009 - 22:03
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2009 at 21:57

Written by Ragana on 30.12.2009 at 21:54

Written by Valentin B on 30.12.2009 at 21:45

Amorphis seriously rocks.. atmospheric melodic heavy metal? is there such a genre? if so Amorphis must be playing it. i couldn't get to their show here since the price was ridiculously high(i wouldn't go if they came back next week tbh if they had the same 80 ron price tag)

Well... at least they actually came to your country, think about that. XD

i'm not the one who lives across the bay from Finland and Sweden you know

btw are you a Stormwitch fan?

Yeah, I've noticed that. Really.

Umh, no. Talking about the avatar again, e? It's actually a painting, but yes, I took that from that band's album named hell knows how.
31.12.2009 - 05:02
Nailedtogold616

These guys are great i realy like thier new stuff. Mainly Skyforger of course. I wouldn't mind if they had stayed a death metal band. But they turned out good anyway
----
As if they were tearing through my flesh, it was embedded in my mind
That Jesus died for me... How foolish can they be
05.01.2010 - 20:50
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
From eclipse, maybe, folk progressive metal with melodic-death infuences ?:D:D what do you say?
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
12.01.2010 - 01:22
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
Very hard to put in one genr, but thats what make em great band
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
20.08.2012 - 20:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
They're actually going to use a producer on their upcoming album instead of doing it themselves (apart from vocals). Peter Tägtgren will be in charge for that. Somewhat different approach in the making perhaps.
20.08.2012 - 21:06
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Risto on 20.08.2012 at 20:35

They're actually going to use a producer on their upcoming album instead of doing it themselves (apart from vocals). Peter Tägtgren will be in charge for that. Somewhat different approach in the making perhaps.

Well that should be interesting.
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.08.2012 - 22:07
FOOCK Nam

The song Tuonela is EPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
25.08.2012 - 09:39
fatman88
Account deleted
Just got into Amorphis within the last few months, had heard of them before but never checked them out. Instantly became one of my favourite bands, I lean much more towards the Tomi Joutsen era personally as I think they dramatically improved over their last four albums, probably not the best band for shred fans but the overall atmosphere, songwriting and performance are fantastic.
05.09.2012 - 23:25
Patrick.

Written by Guest on 25.08.2012 at 09:39

Just got into Amorphis within the last few months, had heard of them before but never checked them out. Instantly became one of my favourite bands, I lean much more towards the Tomi Joutsen era personally as I think they dramatically improved over their last four albums, probably not the best band for shred fans but the overall atmosphere, songwriting and performance are fantastic.

I only have "Skyforger", been quite a while since I spun that one. From what I remember it was a great album all the way through and like you mentioned; fantastic atmosphere, that really made an impression. You're saying they improved in this recent era, what album should be my next endeavour? Tasty folkish elements with dreaming melodies and exciting dark vocals sprinkled here and there, is mainly what I can recall. Need to check out more from these guys.
05.09.2012 - 23:37
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Patrick. on 05.09.2012 at 23:25

You're saying they improved in this recent era, what album should be my next endeavour? Tasty folkish elements with dreaming melodies and exciting dark vocals sprinkled here and there, is mainly what I can recall.

Eclipse is probably closest to the fast impact level that Skyforger has. The use of death vocals increased on The Beginning of Times and the prominence of lead guitar took a slight step back. But these four albums are essentially in the same style
05.09.2012 - 23:56
Patrick.

Quote:
Quote:

Eclipse is probably closest to the fast impact level that Skyforger has. The use of death vocals increased on The Beginning of Times and the prominence of lead guitar took a slight step back. But these four albums are essentially in the same style

Then "Eclipse" sound like my next meeting with this band! I don't really mind a little more Death vocals though, that being said. As long as they're not over-used and get in the way of the melodic aspect of an album, I usually find the inclusion of this extra little aggression to be very effective and make for a great contrast. Thanks for the recommendation.
07.09.2012 - 20:33
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Patrick. on 05.09.2012 at 23:56

Then "Eclipse" sound like my next meeting with this band! I don't really mind a little more Death vocals though, that being said. As long as they're not over-used and get in the way of the melodic aspect of an album, I usually find the inclusion of this extra little aggression to be very effective and make for a great contrast. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, it's highly recommended. I personally love death metal vocals, but once you hear Tomi Joutsen, trust me, you'll want to hear more! They fit in very well on the album and never get in the way of the melodic aspect. Just listen to the chorus for 'The Smoke", it's always a pleasure to hear. Even though I thought Beginning of Times was the weakest of the four albums Tomi has done with the band, Eclipse never gets old (second favorite Amorphis album behind Skyforger).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.09.2012 - 00:17
Patrick.

Quote:
Quote:
Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 20:33

Yeah, it's highly recommended. I personally love death metal vocals, but once you hear Tomi Joutsen, trust me, you'll want to hear more! They fit in very well on the album and never get in the way of the melodic aspect. Just listen to the chorus for 'The Smoke", it's always a pleasure to hear. Even though I thought Beginning of Times was the weakest of the four albums Tomi has done with the band, Eclipse never gets old (second favorite Amorphis album behind Skyforger).

That's nice to hear. Some years ago I couldn't really stomach any "growls" or "gruffs" at all. Nowadays I'm much more open and given the right song or atmosphere, I very much welcome it. Based on what you're saying, it looks to be of no negative consequence at all. Speaking of Death vocals, are all Amorphis albums fair game so to speak? Any particular ones where these elements are significantly more present?
08.09.2012 - 00:53
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Patrick. on 08.09.2012 at 00:17

Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.09.2012 at 20:33

That's nice to hear. Some years ago I couldn't really stomach any "growls" or "gruffs" at all. Nowadays I'm much more open and given the right song or atmosphere, I very much welcome it. Based on what you're saying, it looks to be of no negative consequence at all. Speaking of Death vocals, are all Amorphis albums fair game so to speak? Any particular ones where these elements are significantly more present?

Yeah, I think the only like full-out "death metal" album in their discography is their first one, The Karelian Isthmus. Even though Tales From The Thousand Lakes features a grand majority of death metal growls, with a sprinkling of clean vocals, the album is still much more "melodic" overall than the previous release. So really, only the early works have the real "raw, deathy" style so to speak, and by Tales from the Thousand Lakes, they were starting to change their sound into the more melodic style they have today.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.09.2012 - 17:09
Sangre Sani

I love their old stuff. Songs like Against Widows or On rich and poor. I can't stand their new records. They seem to be a huge boredom for me.
31.12.2012 - 22:18
Aristarchos

Of course Tales from the Thousand Lakes is their best album, but I think they are still producing good albums, especially Silent Waters.
02.01.2013 - 02:13
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
It's a great band, and they are really good live. Still, Skyforger is the only album I really enjoy from them actually.
03.01.2013 - 01:35
Risto
Wandering Midget
New album mixed, waiting to be mastered. Should be some serious news pretty soon (we already know Travis Smith did NOT do the artwork this time...)

03.01.2013 - 03:39
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Risto on 03.01.2013 at 01:35

New album mixed, waiting to be mastered. Should be some serious news pretty soon (we already know Travis Smith did NOT do the artwork this time...)

I'm excited for this album. Can't wait to hear it! This new song is sick!
----
12.01.2013 - 15:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Aristarchos on 31.12.2012 at 22:18

Of course Tales from the Thousand Lakes is their best album, but I think they are still producing good albums, especially Silent Waters.

true but they lil changed sytyle and is not ''classic'' anymore 1000 lakes was brilian masterpieace written in wrong time and place .... whit out that album band wont be what they are now , even band didnt change dramaticaly style, but still they had, still somehow band works for me
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.03.2013 - 21:27
Risto
Wandering Midget
Dem growls... (samples start at 1:20)

08.04.2013 - 06:49
Rasputin

I started listening them from 'Tales from a thousand Lakes' and it took me a while, but I enjoyed most of the album. For me, 'Silent Waters' despite being more commercial, was a masterpiece, every song got played at least a 100 times. 'Skyforger' was ok, 'The Begining of Times' I am still reluctant to play, simply because I did not care for the route they started taking in 'Skyforger.' But overall, an amazing experience that I hope I will catch live someday.
09.04.2013 - 07:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Rasputin on 08.04.2013 at 06:49

I started listening them from 'Tales from a thousand Lakes' and it took me a while, but I enjoyed most of the album. For me, 'Silent Waters' despite being more commercial, was a masterpiece, every song got played at least a 100 times. 'Skyforger' was ok, 'The Begining of Times' I am still reluctant to play, simply because I did not care for the route they started taking in 'Skyforger.' But overall, an amazing experience that I hope I will catch live someday.

see,s everby boddy does it Is tarted whit that one when I was 2 years older than you
Now all works but somehow 1th 2 albums means more to me, I enjoy those nore
----

apos;'
[image]
13.04.2013 - 19:38
Rasputin

Written by Bad English on 09.04.2013 at 07:40

Written by Rasputin on 08.04.2013 at 06:49

see,s everby boddy does it Is tarted whit that one when I was 2 years older than you
Now all works but somehow 1th 2 albums means more to me, I enjoy those nore

I think that stems from nostalgia my friend. I believe, that depending upon what album we start with/time in our lives, some albums mean more than others, and that is natural.
Did you listen to their last album by the way? What are your thoughts on it?
13.04.2013 - 22:00
Rasputin

Written by Guest on 13.04.2013 at 21:01

Those three new tracks aren't that fun. Sort of a return to the I - II- III - oh my god what is this - IV (current) -Joutsen era.

From the last album?
13.04.2013 - 23:23
Rasputin

Written by Guest on 13.04.2013 at 22:52

Written by Rasputin on 13.04.2013 at 22:00

From the last album?

Those three tracks from Circle.

Got ya.
28.11.2013 - 21:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Tuuka Rask is bands fan LOL
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/amorphis-drummer-interviewed-by-italys-underradiorock-com-audio/

Time 1.30 to 3:00
----

apos;'
[image]
29.11.2013 - 00:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 28.11.2013 at 21:21
Tuuka Rask is bands fan LOL

That's awesome. Always cool to read about NHLers who listen to metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2013 - 00:51
Mattybu

Apparently he tries to play some metal tunes in the locker room and in typical asshole bruins fashion, the rest of his team don't let him they should probably show some respect to the guy carrying the team on his back.