03. Liquid Truth
04. My Life To Kill
05. Thursday-Night Aggression
06. Perfection In Pain
07. 2nd Pain
08. Strange Is Strong
09. Violated Relation
10. The Joy Of Being Addicted

By 2002 yours truly was a junior stockbroker with just enough disposable income to lap up just about anything the metal world could throw at him. And lo and behold, Earache was flogging off some new thrash/melodic death metal from some young Swedish band called Corporation 187. Oh and the producer is the mighty Peter Tagtgren.

Sounds like a winner and definitely worthy of spending my hard earned dollars on, doesn't it? Well not really. In fact this isn't even good in a generic kind of way.

What one gets is some extremely mediocre The Haunted worship. It is punchy and fast but completely unremarkable. The guitars and drums ramble on through the motions playing exactly what you expect a Swedish melodic death metal/thrash band to play. There is also some pointless uninspired guitar lead bits too, because you have to have them as well.

The vocals are harsh screaming typical of the style pioneered by At The Gates' Tomas Linberg, albeit typically generic and lacking in any uniqueness.

The only that might prove to be amusing are the lyrics. Sure a lot of them are standard rubbish about "life being pain," which was common enough in Swedish metal of the time. But some are truly ridiculous in a bad way. For example "Ghosts Of Confusion" waffles on about corrupt politicians filled with seed, turning into a penguin and evil airlines. "Liquid Truth" sings about staining someone's face with liquid truth.

Either something was lost in translation or these boys need to sign into rehab.

The production is acceptable for its era. Not too polished and not too raw. It certainly isn't what you expect from one Mr Tagtgren.

So do yourself a favour and avoid this one if you ever see it in some bargain discount pile unless you need a spare CD case and a new coaster.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 4
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written by deadone | 11.02.2014

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 29 users
12.02.2014 - 22:16
chaosscizzors
Account deleted
4.0 seems a little harsh. i think i would've placed it around 5.5 tho so it's a bit moot. i will say this much, i'd rather listen to perfection in pain than anything the haunted ever made.
13.02.2014 - 16:51
EnigmaLake

Catchy fun album in a style that I enjoy
01.10.2018 - 15:10
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi

I found this CD in my collection, had completely forgotten about it. True, it is generic as hell, but I found it great fun, and I love the riffs. Will definitely be in my running playlist. I think you're a bit harsh in your review, but that is your opinion, of course.
03.02.2022 - 07:31
Rating: 10
BCI

No idea what you're on about. The album is an absolute banger. The guitar parts are melodic AF, the vocals fit the overall vibe perfectly and the lyrics are all about inner struggles/problems that also fit the overall vibe. The album is a classic.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...

Hits total: 2192 | This month: 4