Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Release New Video

In case you still haven't heard Sonata Arctica's new single "The Wolves Die Young", you can do that today. The band just revealed the first video off their new album Pariah's Child. The video shoot for "The Wolves Die Young" took place in January 2014 at Sibelius House in Lahti, Finland. The clip was produced by Patrick Ullaeus of the Revolver Film Company. Enjoy the Finns in action right here. Do you like the new song?

Commented frontman Tony Kakko: "'The Wolves Die Young' was pretty much born to be a single. And it is. It also paved the road for the rest of the album. Set a mood in a way. It just felt real good to start with. 2014 is a year of a wolf."

More details about Pariah's Child can be found here and here. Nuclear Blast Records releases the album on March 28th.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 13.02.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 246 users
13.02.2014 - 18:00
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Video was kind of weird.
The song didn't suck.
Guitar was way too low in the mix.
A marked improvement on the horizon?
*Knocking on wood
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
13.02.2014 - 18:23
Byners

"The Queen" is a "great" "actress".
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
13.02.2014 - 18:31
Michaelis

My god... what the hell was that?
13.02.2014 - 18:46
R Lewis

Patric.
Ulleaus.

May every God on earth damn you.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.02.2014 - 19:19
Eternity'sChild

I think the song is not too bad. But the video ... just watched a short piece of the music video, and I think I don't want to see the whole thing.
13.02.2014 - 20:45
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Wow, that did not impress me. Instead, the video was horrible.
13.02.2014 - 22:28
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Holy shit, if if weren't for the occasional drum blast i would have forgot this is metal entirely. Guitar is almost non existent. I heard it in the solo and that's it really haha.

Probably the worst SA song i've ever heard.
13.02.2014 - 22:37
CWA

I love the song, hate the video. High hopes for the album.
13.02.2014 - 23:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
LOL
I don't know what to say, and there's no emoticon that could express how I felt watching this.
13.02.2014 - 23:27
Ruchesko

Video's content = about as random as the song's lyrics.
13.02.2014 - 23:37
Mork Beskytter

This is just terrible.
----
"Let The Darkness Guide You Through The Light"
14.02.2014 - 00:00
aevilms

Really bad... Lyrics are absolutely non-sense, music is not original, just the most standard power metal performance that you can imagine.
It's pity that band with good potential just stopped developing anymore.
14.02.2014 - 00:27
EmeraldSword

Written by aevilms on 14.02.2014 at 00:00

Really bad... Lyrics are absolutely non-sense, music is not original, just the most standard power metal performance that you can imagine.

Aye. I was thinking the same thing. Stratovarius comes to mind when I think of a band that kept developing over the years and is always a great experience to hear a new album. As far as SA's new video, I'm a little confused as well. I didn't need see the point of showing nudity of the woman repeatedly who was covering herself in shame. I got the imagery well enough. "Wolves Die Young" I'm guessing is referring to the woman's offspring maybe born out of wedlock? Hence; shame.

Musically, the riffs didn't show too much variety and IMO the keyboard notes were drawn out a bit. Oh well. Hopefully the completed album will "perk" up a bit. Returning back to their "wolves" roots is good, but SA needs to speed up the tempo a bit.
14.02.2014 - 00:43
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I enjoy the new song. The video isn't great, but who gives a damn about videos anyway?
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
14.02.2014 - 00:49
Vombatus
Potorro
I think the lyrics make sense (and the video for that matter), pretty clear reference to the Emperor's New Clothes tale.

The song however is bad. Their is a very slight chance I might have appreciated it years back, but now the band completely lost it for me.
14.02.2014 - 01:02
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Written by aevilms on 14.02.2014 at 00:00

+1
14.02.2014 - 01:37
Zadion

MS is full of cynics.

The song is great. The video isn't, but it isn't bad either. I don't really understand the point in it, though.

But c'mon, this is hard proof they've turned away from that SGHN shit.
14.02.2014 - 02:20
LordHypnos
Account deleted
That video... wtf?

Although I kinda liked the new song, I say it could've been better.
14.02.2014 - 02:45
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by Zadion on 14.02.2014 at 01:37

MS is full of cynics.

The song is great. The video isn't, but it isn't bad either. I don't really understand the point in it, though.

But c'mon, this is hard proof they've turned away from that SGHN shit.

MS becomes more tolerable whenever you realize that the average opinion here varies tremendously from the average opinion of most metal fans. Most of the stuff that I see people trashing on here I see the majority of people raving about elsewhere, and vice versa. It's a special breed of metal fans here, but I continue to use the site anyway since, truth be told, it's the best metal news website I've ever discovered.
----
14.02.2014 - 04:03
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by deadone on 14.02.2014 at 03:43

First thing I'd do is shoot the keyboardist and the vocalist, who are both irritating in equal measure.

Second thing I'd do is disband the band because what is left isn't much. The guitarists are absolutely nothing. That leaves a drummer that can be replaced with a generic drum machine and a bass player.

What's it with terrible sugar coated pop music masquerading as metal these days?

Perfect example of what I was just talking about in my previous post. Thank you, thank you. Point proven.
----
14.02.2014 - 04:12
The Evergreen

I thought it was great, though I could stand more guitar. I wonder how the CD will sound. Probably the same. I'll live.
14.02.2014 - 05:42
Darth Revan

I'm not really sure how to react to this... I think the best way to put it is, if Ecliptica, Silence and Winterheart's Guild were wooden furniture made with the loving care and attention of a carpenter... This album seems like an IKEA computer desk.
14.02.2014 - 05:50
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by The Evergreen on 14.02.2014 at 04:12

I thought it was great, though I could stand more guitar. I wonder how the CD will sound. Probably the same. I'll live.

Reviewers have said the song is not representative of the album. That's typically the case with singles, it seems.
----
14.02.2014 - 05:57
The Evergreen

Yeah, true. SGHN had a great opening track, and we know how that went.
14.02.2014 - 07:34
HumanSpirit

They said the new album was gonna be like old school SA songs.

I believed them. They lied to me.

Random video, kinda cool/kinda weak song, will listen to the whole thing though.
14.02.2014 - 10:15
Kais

I have no opinion for this single after rehearing it a few times. I'd rather be patient and wait for the outcome of the entire album instead.
14.02.2014 - 10:30
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Written by HumanSpirit on 14.02.2014 at 07:34

They said the new album was gonna be like old school SA songs.

I believed them. They lied to me.

Random video, kinda cool/kinda weak song, will listen to the whole thing though.

So one song that isn't 100% double bass = "ZOMG THEY LIED TO MEEEEEHHHH"

Also, while the song is not completely reminiscent of old Sonata Arctica (something that will never happen, btw), it certainly sounds similar. This song could have easily been on Winterheart's Guild or Reckoning Night, not sure how you think it is so drastically different in style.
----
14.02.2014 - 16:38
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
The first thing I thought after reading the song title was "winter is coming".
As for the song itself, it's not that bad. Kind of a mellow power metal (or flower metal, if you will).
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
14.02.2014 - 17:11
Constantine

Lovely Christmas carol. Sadly.
14.02.2014 - 21:13
Zadion

Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 14.02.2014 at 04:03

Written by deadone on 14.02.2014 at 03:43

First thing I'd do is shoot the keyboardist and the vocalist, who are both irritating in equal measure.

Second thing I'd do is disband the band because what is left isn't much. The guitarists are absolutely nothing. That leaves a drummer that can be replaced with a generic drum machine and a bass player.

What's it with terrible sugar coated pop music masquerading as metal these days?

Perfect example of what I was just talking about in my previous post. Thank you, thank you. Point proven.

+1

It's a rare sight to see somebody refer to Tony as "irritating." Personally, he's easily among my favorite vocalists.

Anyway, this single is exactly what I wanted SGHN to be. It's a mix of the symphonic textures of TDoG, along with the power metal chug and progressive undertones of Reckoning Night. Being that those are my two favorite SA albums, I'll be more than pleased if all of Pariah's Child turns out sounding like that.

Hits total: 4551 | This month: 13