Metal Storm logo
Queen

Original post

Posted by Warman, 17.01.2007 - 14:28
Is this for real? No topic about Queen!? I remember that there was one in the old forum.
I've grown up with Queen, my mom always play the same tape (featuring some of their best songs) with them in the car. They are really talented and Freddy Mercury was without doubt one of the most talented vocalists ever!
Please share your opinions and feelings about this band!
12.12.2011 - 18:25
Sammol

What albums should I listen next? something similar to A night at the opera.
13.12.2011 - 07:54
Baz Anderson

Just work through them chronologically, but miss out "Hot Space"...
13.12.2011 - 08:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 13.12.2011 at 07:54

Just work through them chronologically, but miss out "Hot Space"...

Yep. There's a couple of decent songs on "Hot Space", but overall, it's a pretty woeful album for a band of Queen's standards.
13.12.2011 - 17:45
Baz Anderson

Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 08:13

Yep. There's a couple of decent songs on "Hot Space", but overall, it's a pretty woeful album for a band of Queen's standards.

From what I remember, the only good one is "Under Pressure" tacked on at the end. Obviously a great song.
13.12.2011 - 23:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 13.12.2011 at 17:45
From what I remember, the only good one is "Under Pressure" tacked on at the end. Obviously a great song.

That is the true gem of the album, and the only great song on it. "Hot Space" is definitely Queen's worst album, and by quite a long way.
14.12.2011 - 02:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.12.2011 at 23:04

Written by Baz Anderson on 13.12.2011 at 17:45

That is the true gem of the album, and the only great song on it. "Hot Space" is definitely Queen's worst album, and by quite a long way.

that's true, it's only for fanboys and completionists; but still the vocal performance is great and there are some good songs there: Las palabras de Amor, Put out the Fire, Action this day, Calling All Girls, Back Chat (my guilty pleasure) and even Dancer (which has a nice guitar solo).
14.12.2011 - 08:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 14.12.2011 at 02:41
that's true, it's only for fanboys and completionists; but still the vocal performance is great and there are some good songs there: Las palabras de Amor, Put out the Fire, Action this day, Calling All Girls, Back Chat (my guilty pleasure) and even Dancer (which has a nice guitar solo).

Well, the vocal performance is of course outstanding, as you would expect, but most of the material itself is a bit sub-standard. Hardly any of the album is actually terrible, but compared to Queen at their best, most of the stuff on "Hot Space" falls well below that standard. "Las Palabras De Amor" is the only song on the album that comes anywhere near "Under Pressure", and is actually a very good song. "Cool Cat" is a good song, if not great, but Freddie's singing on that one is awesome, so it is a highlight. Put Out The Fire is decent, but definitely a league or two below Queen's best rockers. "Hot Space" is definitely an album I would never hesitaate in calling Queen's worst though. As to me, it quite clearly is.
15.12.2011 - 09:41
Baz Anderson

I really have neglected "Hot Space" though... I don't know the album too well at all. Maybe it'll be like Helloween's "Chameleon" or something... an album that can be liked with some effort... Maybe I'll give it another go some time.

I don't have the "Flash Gordon" album either, but this is the only one I've never heard. Is it worth getting?
15.12.2011 - 10:37
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.12.2011 at 09:41

I really have neglected "Hot Space" though... I don't know the album too well at all. Maybe it'll be like Helloween's "Chameleon" or something... an album that can be liked with some effort... Maybe I'll give it another go some time.

I don't have the "Flash Gordon" album either, but this is the only one I've never heard. Is it worth getting?

Umm, not really. I don't like it very much, the songs aren't really songs but more just... like the songs you hear throughout the film, nothing COMPLETE. Dunno how to explain this. And dunno what was with Queen and awfully made fantasy flicks - sure, Highlander became cult, but if you watch that movie today, you'll see how awful it is.
----
7.0 means the album is good
15.12.2011 - 10:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 15.12.2011 at 10:37
Highlander became cult, but if you watch that movie today, you'll see how awful it is.

Now it's your turn to make me sad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 10:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 10:38

Well glad I managed. Anyway, Queen is my favorite band ever, but I never listen to Hot Space (I see it like a disco album more or less, which makes Queen awesome in almost every style of music of the 20th century, but it does sound outdated and kind of boring now now) and that Flash Gordon album. Everything else is awesomeness. They were so blissfully talented.
----
15.12.2011 - 10:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 15.12.2011 at 10:44
They were so blissfully talented.

All I ever really liked was Bohemian Rhapsody, and... I know there's another one.

Under Pressure. That's the one. Somebody to Love isn't too shabby either. I just never got into their non-chart topping singles I guess.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.12.2011 - 10:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 10:38

Written by Milena on 15.12.2011 at 10:37
Highlander became cult, but if you watch that movie today, you'll see how awful it is.

And me too and also
Highlander is a CLASSIC
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.12.2011 - 10:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.12.2011 at 10:46
Highlander is a CLASSIC

You know you're badass when you're an immortal swordsman and an immortal lightning mage in two different movies.
----
15.12.2011 - 10:48
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 10:46

All I ever really liked was Bohemian Rhapsody, and... I know there's another one.

Under Pressure. That's the one. Somebody to Love isn't too shabby either. I just never got into their non-chart topping singles I guess.

Well, try every video of theirs, you're BOUND to find SOMETHING you like. People that don't like Queen frankly have no use for their souls
----
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
As for Queen the following are bad to horrible tbh with only the odd good track on them
The Game (1980)
Flash Gordon (1980)
Hot Space (1982)
The Works (1984)
A Kind of Magic (1986)
The Miracle (1989)
Made in Heaven (1995)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Baz Anderson

At least there are other people on here that appreciate the greatness of Queen, hahaha.

"The Game", "The Works", "A Kind Of Magic" and "The Miracle" (especially) are all great albums...
15.12.2011 - 10:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.12.2011 at 10:48

Made in Heaven (1995)

Let's not argue over 80's albums, some people like them and some (though a minority ) just don't.... how can you not like Made In Heaven???? What's not to like there?

Written by Baz Anderson on 15.12.2011 at 10:48

At least there are other people on here that appreciate the greatness of Queen, hahaha.

"The Game", "The Works", "A Kind Of Magic" and "The Miracle" (especially) are all great albums...

Been their fan here for exactly ten years. I don't think I've ever come across a band that demonstrates such humbleness and flooring musicianship at the same time. They were all accomplished in more than one field.
----
15.12.2011 - 11:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.12.2011 at 09:41

I have too. To be honest. I've listened to it in full, probably only once. And then just ocassionally listened to a song or two off it if I feel I need my memory jogged, as my recollections of the album isn't that great. "Chameleon" was an album it took me a long time to appreciate, but now I do, and find quite a lot of the songs on it very good.

I'd say it is worth getting, but it is quite different to all their other albums, as it is a proper soundtrack album, and therefore, mostly instrumental.
16.12.2011 - 01:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I enjoy queen from time to time.

bohemian rhapsody

under pressure.

stone cold crazy
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.12.2011 - 01:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
If there was a band that does not deserve a bashing, it's Queen. Even their pop albums are great. Surely they set the standards high with their early albums up to A Day at the Races; I for one say all their 70s albums are amazing. I read a very negative review of Jazz (1978), so I say pompous elitists should not listen to Queen and leave'em alone. This album deserves to be bought only to listen to Let Me Entertain You and Dead on Time
80s Queen is catchy and entertaining, I for one never got bored. I usually listen to early Queen the most, but still listen to their pop stuff every once in a while.
16.12.2011 - 04:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 01:56

If there was a band that does not deserve a bashing, it's Queen. Even their pop albums are great. Surely they set the standards high with their early albums up to A Day at the Races; I for one say all their 70s albums are amazing. I read a very negative review of Jazz (1978), so I say pompous elitists should not listen to Queen and leave'em alone. This album deserves to be bought only to listen to Let Me Entertain You and Dead on Time
80s Queen is catchy and entertaining, I for one never got bored. I usually listen to early Queen the most, but still listen to their pop stuff every once in a while.

I've never understood the bashing "Jazz" gets from some people... "Mustapha", "Jealousy", and "Dead On Time" are amongst my all time fave Queen songs, and the rest of the album is pretty great also.

I love most of 80's Queen, though Hot Space was definitely a blip. "The Miracle" in particular, I've always seen as a highly underrated album, and I love it very much.
18.12.2011 - 23:06
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 16.12.2011 at 01:56

Thank you for this post, it sums up my opinion as well
----
19.12.2011 - 01:46
Lit.
Account deleted
I never saw what people like about Bohemian Rhapsody. Sounds really weird to me. My sis, who doesn't even LIKE classic rock, recently became obsessed with it. Now she won't stop playing it.
I like Stone Cold Crazy, though. That's damn good. Also, Tie Your Mother Down, Killer Queen and Sheer Heart Attack.
25.06.2012 - 16:49
Aristarchos

My fairy king is their most underrated song. One of the best songs that has been made.
10.07.2012 - 03:30
Windir

I listen to Queen for several years, even before than listening to metal and I still love it. My favorite albums:
Queen II
A night at the opera
Innuendo
13.08.2012 - 12:53
Aristarchos

A night at the opera and Queen I are my two favourites.
01.01.2013 - 15:49
Moonloop

Queen II and A Night at the Opera are two of my all time favorite albums.
03.01.2013 - 00:36
AndMetalForAll
kual21
From far one of the top bands of all time.. Great to see a topic about Queen!
----
greets,
kual21
04.01.2013 - 20:54
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I love Queen. My favourite albums are the first 5, but News of the World and Jazz are very good as well. The 80's albums are more inconsistent, alternating between great songs and dated filler. Their last two, The Miracle and Innuendo, are both quality albums.