02. Something Wicked This Way Comes
03. Plague And Fyre
04. The Devil's Deadly Weapon
05. Save Us From Those Who Would Save Us

Bloodstock Open Air
06. Darkhangel
07. The Quest
08. Blasphemy And The Master

If that freaking genius that was Edgar Allan Poe lived in these days, he would have listened to Hell. Their crazy, obscure and disquieting traits would have allowed them to get along well.

But to the music now. Hell, died out in 1987 after five years of undeserved struggling in almost complete anonymity, were resurrected more than twenty years later and rose to fame in 2011 releasing Human Remains, which only contained re-recordings of classic Hell tracks that were discarded by the music biz. The litmus test, that will classify them as a bunch of nostalgic musicians or as a force in the heavy metal scene, however, comes with Curse And Chapter, that is, in fact, an album composed of both old tracks and new ones.

What jumps to the ear just after the first second of listening is that what was appreciated in Human Remains has not been betrayed, but improved. The unique, oppressive Hell atmosphere serves as background for clever, NWOBHM-esque riffing, straight-to-the-point yet unpredictable songwriting, Bowes' stunningly dramatic performance and cathedral-like gothic keyboards.

If there was to find something to distinguish Curse And Chapter from its predecessor is this last feature: keys are drastically more influential than in Human Remains, and find their rightful space in the production (another of this albums' ups) without overhanging the rest or disappearing.

Despite this dark mood surrounding everything, this is an appreciably varied album. Huge merit of this goes to the fact that the band can count on multiple songwriters, so that you can find here straightforward sing-along tracks as well as proggy structures.

The added value of this release, and the fact that it ensures us that we'll hear about Hell again, is that the new tracks are not out-shined by the classics. To be honest, without a specific list I couldn't distinguish them: it's like these 25+ years were nothing but a brief stop, as the band is still able to compose tracks of the same sky-high quality.

The door that was solemnly shut at the end of Human Remains reopened and another great album made its way towards us. As previously mentioned, it's like these decades haven't passed, but lets ask ourselves: what would we be listening to if Hell received their well-deserved fame in the 80's? Oh boy what have we lost?

Anyway, let's focus on today and let's admit that a once dead band is now revitalizing heavy metal. And this is a pretty metal thing.

Written on 22.02.2014 by Hopefully you won't agree with me, diversity of opinions is what makes metal so beautiful and varied.

So... critics and advices absolutely welcome.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 345 users
22.02.2014 - 11:31
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
A favorite of mine already. These guys epitomize METAL. \m/
22.02.2014 - 15:50
Fredd
Account deleted
I fucking love this band
22.02.2014 - 17:14
Rating: 8
Druss

^what he said.
22.02.2014 - 18:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'd probably rate this a full point lower than you, but generally feel the same about it. Good variation, solid production, great riffs - overall, definitely a nice little package. Surprisingly a lot more engaging than I expected it to be. Nice review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2014 - 18:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Also shouldn't the album title be edited? We have it listed as Curse and Chapter when it's actually Curse & Chapter. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2014 - 19:10
R Lewis

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.02.2014 at 18:43

Also shouldn't the album title be edited? We have it listed as Curse and Chapter when it's actually Curse & Chapter. :/

Dunno... Their website sucks but Nuclear Blast refers to it as Curse And Chapter (link)

EDIT Also the promo PDF they sent me says "Curse And Chapter"
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
22.02.2014 - 19:40
Lit.
Account deleted
I just want it on record that I think Darkhangel is the best song to come out of 2013.
23.02.2014 - 10:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
@Troy and Luigi, I typically resolve such debates by looking at what is printed on the artwork.

(I'd do this myself except I'm currently on phone and doing such things from a phone is very tedious :p)
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.02.2014 - 10:57
R Lewis

Written by psykometal on 23.02.2014 at 10:08

@Troy and Luigi, I typically resolve such debates by looking at what is printed on the artwork.

(I'd do this myself except I'm currently on phone and doing such things from a phone is very tedious :p)

----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
23.02.2014 - 19:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Had me pretty hooked with the E.A. Poe reference, but seeing you mention that this is really NWOBHM inspired, with a heavy keyboard touch, just made me want to check it out even more. Killer stuff, Darkhangel is definitely a standout to me as well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.02.2014 - 23:58
Daniell
_爱情_
This is even better than Human Remains.
24.02.2014 - 20:35
Rating: 9
bblitz

Masterpiece.Album is so damn good.
One of the best in decades of heavy music.
25.02.2014 - 20:08
Just come across thw web site thanks now listening to hell didnt know they were back
28.02.2014 - 19:58
Catacombrocks

Thıs album is just awesome. vocals are tearing the skies.
03.03.2014 - 22:27
FelixtheMetalcat

Another Great album from Hell. I prefer Human Remains a tad better but thats being nitpicky, this is a very nice follow up. I hope they continue down this path of excellency.
03.03.2014 - 22:28
FelixtheMetalcat

Written by Guest on 22.02.2014 at 15:50

I fucking love this band

I 2nd that !!

Hits total: 7251 | This month: 6