Metal Storm logo
Best out of these "atmospheric" Black Metal Bands

Original post

Posted by Ealdamir, 17.01.2007 - 22:06
Well, fo rmy choice, 2 weeks ago i would go for Xasthur oe for Weakling since "Dead As Dreams" was one of a kind. But then I discovered Wolves In the Throne Room and their first full-length "Diadem of 12 Stars" really took me by surprise and has been ever-present in my cd-player. A really haunting and ethereal album full of melodies and a special feelin.Seems like they totally put their lifestyle into their music.
Drudkh is a band I also love and especially "Autumn Aurora" and secondly "The Swan Road"
Leviathan and Blut Aus Nord are also good.

Maybe i should have more bands but i am not that informed on the genre so there is the other option.
And i didn't forget Burzum as some might say-it just didn't fit in this poll(except from dominating immediately). (sorry if there is a similar poll but i couldn't find)

Poll

Wich one do you like the most?

other (similar in style)
Drudkh
Wolves In the Throne Room
Xasthur
Blut Aus Nord
Leviathan
Weakling
Nortt

Total votes: 166
29.03.2009 - 15:14
Smurfophagist
I think Summoning should be in this poll. Oh and no Burzum? What the fuck?
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
29.09.2009 - 05:02
ToMegaTherion
Leviathan are a very good band, amongst my favorites for certain.

I agree that Burzum shoudl probably be in this poll given they are one of the worlds leading BM bands
29.09.2009 - 12:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But i wouldnt mark them exactly "atmospheric"...and Summoning stuff is a bit different from what Blut Aus Nord or Wolves In The Throne Room are producing too...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.10.2009 - 22:46
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Drudkh by very very far, but where's summoning? it would be my second choise definitely
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
21.02.2010 - 03:07
Morka Graven
I say Walknut. Their album "Graveforests and Their Shadows" really hits the spot. The vocals, guitar and drumming are really quite something.

Nortt needs more votes...he shouldn't be all the way down there.
----
We can't keep on fighting in a world where nothing is of importance.
07.03.2010 - 01:29
xplanet2112
Altar of Plagues!! White Tomb is an excellent Album, it's got the atmosphere and the black metal but also has a lot of post metal about it too!

Another great atmospheric band with some postmetal influence in Fen

Negura Bunget have really impressed me with OM but I'm not sure it's blackmetal, there are lots of deathmetal type riffs on this album along side the excellent ambient touches but it's my favourite of this sound,

BAN, WITTR, and Alcest are other bands I like too.

I'll check out some of the stuff I've not heard of from this thred ... cheers!!
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
26.02.2011 - 15:56
Aeonfrost
I think Gris hould have been there, their album Il Était une Forêt,was simply great.
26.02.2011 - 20:24
RavenKing
I like some atmospheric BM bands but not a single one on this list.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.02.2011 - 21:03
Zuzuz0r
I guess I'll go with Drudkh, Blut Aus Nord and Wolves in The Throne Room from the list. I think Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver should be included too, but well, I guess that's why the "other" option is there.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
26.02.2011 - 22:33
Luneth
Account deleted
Blut Aus Nord are the best on this list in my opinion.
06.03.2011 - 08:18
Yojimbo
I like Burzum more than any of those choices. For me Burzum is the best atmospheric black metal.
17.08.2011 - 18:50
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I only heard Drudkh and Wolves. I liked Drudkh better, their atmosphere is just very epic.
28.02.2012 - 09:38
Codera the Great
Account deleted
Just listen to "Wind of the Night Forest" off of Autumn Aurora by Drudkh, and tell me to my face that that doesn't leave you hypnotized.
29.02.2012 - 05:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I love Deafheaven.

but voted for WITTR. They both play some pretty nice bm, but I like wittrs style a little better.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.04.2012 - 11:40
Wolves In the Throne Room.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.04.2012 - 19:31
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Zuzuz0r on 26.02.2011 at 21:03

I guess I'll go with Drudkh, Blut Aus Nord and Wolves in The Throne Room from the list. I think Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver should be included too, but well, I guess that's why the "other" option is there.

Great choices. All the bands you listed are A-stuff.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
18.08.2012 - 01:00
COBdeath666
SUMMONING!!!!!
18.08.2012 - 02:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by COBdeath666 on 18.08.2012 at 01:00

SUMMONING!!!!!

Please refrain from writing a reply in all caps, and try to add some reasoning to your posts.

Thanks.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.08.2012 - 05:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.08.2012 at 02:47

Written by COBdeath666 on 18.08.2012 at 01:00

SUMMONING!!!!!

Please refrain from writing a reply in all caps, and try to add some reasoning to your posts.

Thanks.

Such a natural leader
Anyways... i'm far too lazy to think of a band on my own, so of the choices you provided Leviathan would have to be my favorite. Massive Conspiracy Against All Life is just an absolute masterpiece
19.08.2012 - 01:43
Zombie94
I've only listened to WITTR and I found them boring. Been meaning to listen to Drudkh and Blut Aus Nord...anyone have album recommendations from those two bands?
19.08.2012 - 03:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Zombie94 on 19.08.2012 at 01:43

I've only listened to WITTR and I found them boring. Been meaning to listen to Drudkh and Blut Aus Nord...anyone have album recommendations from those two bands?

Drudkh: Forgotten Legends or Autumn Aurora... But specially their second which is considered their greatest album.
Blut Aus Nord: Depends on what you like... If you dig industrial sounds then you should TOTALLY go for "The Work Which Transforms God". It is their most well known and unique work. Their stuff that is reguar BM although good is not nearly as unique at all so I wouldn't know what to recommend about them not because of quality but because they aren't new. Tey are at their best when they experiment/play with industrial stuff like with TWWTG, Metamorphosis Of Realistic Theories, Odinist, The Liber album/EP and of course the 777 triology.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 11:30
Zombie94
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2012 at 03:48

Drudkh: Forgotten Legends or Autumn Aurora... But specially their second which is considered their greatest album.
Blut Aus Nord: Depends on what you like... If you dig industrial sounds then you should TOTALLY go for "The Work Which Transforms God". It is their most well known and unique work. Their stuff that is reguar BM although good is not nearly as unique at all so I wouldn't know what to recommend about them not because of quality but because they aren't new. Tey are at their best when they experiment/play with industrial stuff like with TWWTG, Metamorphosis Of Realistic Theories, Odinist, The Liber album/EP and of course the 777 triology.

I'll listen to Autumn Aurora as I usually start with what's considered a band's best work, to get an idea if I like 'em. And I'm open-minded about the experimental stuff so I'll give TWWTG a listen too. Thanks for the detailed answer man!
19.08.2012 - 11:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Glad that I could help.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2012 - 18:36
Dinruth
My vote goes to other .. the other being Summoning ..
06.09.2012 - 06:40
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I really like Xasthur, although the song "Wind of the Night Forests" by Drudkh is one of the greatest things ever created by human beings, so Drudkh it is.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
24.10.2019 - 20:48
BennyMetGer
Agrypnie and Harakiri For The Sky
23.04.2021 - 04:17
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Out of all the bands on the list I have to go with Drudkh, although my favourite atmospheric black metal band is Summoning.