Disc II
01. Hail And Kill MMXIV [Instrumental version]
02. Kings Of Metal MMXIV [Instrumental version]
03. The Heart Of Steel MMXIV [Orchestral Intro version] [Instrumental version]
04. The Blood Of The Kings MMXIV [Instrumental version]
05. Thy Kingdom Come MMXIV [Instrumental version]
06. Thy Crown and Thy Ring MMXIV [Orchestral version] [Instrumental version]
07. On Wheels Of Fire MMXIV [Instrumental version]

I'll level with you guys. I wrote a review for Kings Of Metal MMXIV back in November 2013, based purely on the Battle Hymns MMXI abomination and the seconds-long clip of the "Kingdom Come" vocal track. I knew exactly what this would sound like; I was only waiting for the album's release to confirm my suspicions. Well, you know what? It's WORSE.

I can't believe this. Manowar actually failed to meet my pessimistic expectations. I had to rewrite my review. If you thought that Battle Hymns MMXI was grossly unnecessary and disgraceful, just wait until you get your hands on this glorious garbage. I have said some unkind things about Manowar in the past, and of my four previous reviews I can't say that any of them was particularly positive. Despite this evidence to the contrary, Manowar is one of my favorite bands. The original Kings Of Metal is one of the oldest metal albums in my collection. But they do this to us, time and time again - honestly, what in the fast-taking, world-fighting, warriors-of-the-world-uniting hell is this supposed to prove?

Eric Adams, without a doubt, sings unbelievably well for a 61-year-old, and I respect his voice an awful lot. But no one - not Dio, not Lemmy, not Rob Halford - sings as well at 61 as they did at 36. He can still pack a punch, but placing his current self in direct comparison with his younger self does nothing but highlight the deleterious effects of the years. Meanwhile, the absence of Ross the Boss and the late, great Scott Columbus are all too conspicuous. This album is a mere imitation of Manowar; nothing more.

I'm in shock. I never thought that the original "Sting Of The Bumblebee" would sound good, or even listenable, compared to something else? I also never thought that I would call "The Warrior's Prayer" the highlight of anything. Never mind that between Orson Welles, Sir Christopher Lee, and now Brian Blessed, Manowar have impeccable taste in narrators (I expect Jim Dale for the inevitable Triumph Of Steel MMXVII). Forget about that, because I'm wondering why the acoustic guitars sound just as flaky, wavering, and poorly-produced as they did on Manowar's 1981 demo, and what these horrific things in place of Ross's solos are supposed to be. In fact, the production is pretty terrible all-around, even for a Manowar album; perhaps not as bad as The Lord Of Steel, but bad enough.

In its best (though still mediocre) moments, such as the surprisingly passable "Hail And Kill," Kings Of Metal MMXIV is merely a duller and superfluous carbon copy of the original album. Most of the time, however, it manages to thoroughly kill the spirit and energy contained in the original songs - so close to the original that you wonder why they bothered, but still noticeably inferior. This is stiff, rheumatic, and never improves on the music; it is always either the same or worse. This "update," "rehashing," "royalty consolidation scheme" - whatever you want to call it - is a disgrace, and a fine example of everything we should despise about 21st-century Manowar.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 02.03.2014 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 544 users
02.03.2014 - 15:30
R Lewis

Wow. I thought you were already satiated of hate, after the SLoT
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
02.03.2014 - 19:39
Mattybu

Written by R Lewis on 02.03.2014 at 15:30

Maybe all of that hatred stewed inside him and got unleashed on Manowar?

Deservingly though cause this sounds like mega trash.
02.03.2014 - 19:56
R Lewis

Written by Mattybu on 02.03.2014 at 19:39

Honestly I haven't even listened to it, since I always hated Manowar with all my heart I find also the original Kings Of Metal to be 90% crap
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
02.03.2014 - 20:05
Mattybu

Written by R Lewis on 02.03.2014 at 19:56

Honestly I haven't even listened to it, since I always hated Manowar with all my heart I find also the original Kings Of Metal to be 90% crap

There is something very charming about the original Kings of Metal and some Manowar stuff. It's probably some of the most confident music I know of. Kings of Metal is decent, Sting of the Bumblebee is a classic in my opinion

Very easy to see why you and others can hate Manowar though... certainly a polarizing band.
02.03.2014 - 20:18
Rating: 2
Rulatore

I wasn't expecting a rate this high
03.03.2014 - 00:32
Rating: 3
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Mattybu on 02.03.2014 at 19:39

Written by R Lewis on 02.03.2014 at 15:30

Maybe all of that hatred stewed inside him and got unleashed on Manowar?

"Mega trash" is a pretty accurate assessment.

I had been waiting for seven months to tear the guts out of this thing, and I hadn't written a really scathing review in a while... I seized my chance.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
03.03.2014 - 03:27
Hatebeard
Account deleted
I think these clowns have always sucked...obviously they are even worse now.
03.03.2014 - 13:13
NikolaFranquelli
Account deleted
Well, 3,4 is a bit too low, but I agree that it is a failure.
03.03.2014 - 21:10
HumanSpirit

"This album is a mere imitation of Manowar; nothing more."

It all comes down to that single sentence, folks.
04.03.2014 - 02:07
Crème fraiche

Do we even need to review Manowar albums? Isn't it obvious anything they put out is going to be shit? ;p
04.03.2014 - 09:29
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Crème fraiche on 04.03.2014 at 02:07

Do we even need to review Manowar albums? Isn't it obvious anything they put out is going to be shit? ;p

Can we assume that anything you say is going to be shit?
See my point?
05.03.2014 - 02:55
Crème fraiche

Written by Daniell on 04.03.2014 at 09:29

Written by Crème fraiche on 04.03.2014 at 02:07

Can we assume that anything you say is going to be shit?
See my point?

Nope.
05.03.2014 - 03:03
Crème fraiche

See that little guy sticking the tongue out of his mouth? Most people on the INTRANET see this as JUST JOKING ;p
05.03.2014 - 07:46
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Crème fraiche on 05.03.2014 at 03:03

See that little guy sticking the tongue out of his mouth? Most people on the INTRANET see this as JUST JOKING ;p

Why do you assume I wasn't?
06.03.2014 - 05:04
Crème fraiche

Im sorry sir, I was just joking around. I didnt mean to get out of hand. No need for the snark sir.
06.03.2014 - 06:32
Rating: 8
KainRich

I enjoyed it.
06.03.2014 - 15:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Crème fraiche on 06.03.2014 at 05:04

Im sorry sir, I was just joking around. I didnt mean to get out of hand. No need for the snark sir.

No worries
06.03.2014 - 19:19
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted

hmmmmm....
06.03.2014 - 20:19
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Guest on 06.03.2014 at 19:19

hmmmmm....

Hm?
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
08.03.2014 - 05:32
DJ Cosimoto

Manowar = Justin Biebers asshole - of heavy metal.....
not very flattering...
03.02.2016 - 18:12
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
I'm curious as to how a rerecording of an old album can get a 4 for originality. Surely if any album deserves a 1 then it should be something like this?
03.02.2016 - 23:24
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Belegûr on 03.02.2016 at 18:12

I'm curious as to how a rerecording of an old album can get a 4 for originality. Surely if any album deserves a 1 then it should be something like this?

They did change or rearrange a couple of things here and there, which would bump them up to a 2 in my book, and the rest belongs to Brian Blessed and the totally revamped "The Warrior's Prayer." In retrospect, though, that's still too high; pretty much by definition this is the most unoriginal thing you can do as a band.
----

I'm the Agent of Steel.
27.01.2021 - 21:23
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I listened to it for the first time today after reading the review. I thought there was no way this album could be this bad. It was.
----

Hits total: 12379 | This month: 18