03. Lead Me Home
04. To Ashes
05. Nurture
06. Fleshold
07. Eternal
08. Suffer The Season
09. Somber Angel
10. Lifeless

Shadows Fall is a household name when it comes to modern metal, yes, that means the "cores". I find this tag to be a death sentence for most bands. Shadows Fall shows that being "core" does not mean whiney bullshit music. This is a truly good release.

Shadows Fall has gained most of their notoriety through their present vocalist, Brian Fair, who is an amazing vocalist, but one thing most people don't know is that before Brian Fair, there was another singer. Yes, back in those gnarly nineties there was another man who sang sweet, sweet metal. His name was Phil LaBonte. Yes, that name is familiar, as he's the vocalist for the Metalcore band All That Remains. Now, most of you are thinking "All That Remains? They suck, so that means the vocals, and this album, must suck." This is not true.

The nineties were a good time for Phil, he had a nice rasp to his voice. That rasp made things interesting. Along with sub-par production the vocals add a nice "underground" feeling to this album, as if it was made in Phil's Garage. This is definitely a plus, the album sounds raw and mean, which is exactly what you want.

The instrumentals are just as good as Phil's voice, with raw sounds and amazing distorted riffs, and just to make the talent more prominent, a nice acoustic instrumental track is added. The track is nicely atmospheric, with flowing water and the sounds of nature, it transports you to a heavenly place.

Overall this is an amazing album. I recommend it to anyone, even the Kvltest listeners.

Highlights- "Lifeless" "Revel In My Loss" and "Nurture"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Boxcar Willy | 23.01.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
Ah, Shadows Fall, one of my favourite metal bands. Their genre known to some as Metalcore, known to others as Thrash. However, for their début 1998 release, "Somber Eyes To The Sky," I think that there can be no disputing that it is different from the majority of their discography. This album leans closer to the Melodeath sound, and the only other Shadows Fall album that comes close to the sound of "Somber Eyes" is their second release, "Of One Blood." This is the Labonte era album, when both He and Matthew Bachand departed from their previous Death Metal band, "Perpetual Doom" and formed Shadows Fall. This inevitably had an impact on the sound of the original Shadows Fall lineup. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Somber Eyes album.

Read more ››
published 27.04.2007 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 9 users
10.03.2014 - 20:49
NorthernDickhead

Good review although I didn't find anything mindblowing about this album.

Hits total: 2799 | This month: 7