05. Dark Mother Divine
06. Xeper-I-Set
07. Chaosophia
08. God Of Forbidden Light
09. Reinkaos
10. Internal Fire
11. Maha Kali
+ Starless Aeon [video] [bonus]

How do you make a comeback after nearly a decade of absence from the scene? And how do you do it if you're one of the 'savant' Scandinavian bands and one of your members has been spending this time in jail? Well, let me tell you, the way Dissection does it on Reinkaos is not the way to do it. The old fans will eat them alive. With this said, the new Dissection release is actually a pretty decent melodeath album when evaluated on its own terms.

First of all it must be said that all traces of black metal are gone from Dissection's sound. The frantic paces known from their early 90s releases are also out of the window. What we are left with is very melodic, mid paced death metal. Maha Kali was a pretty good sign of things to come and it has even been included on this album. Of course, by now the melodeath scene itself has also changed significantly and bands either favor a super-speedy yet traditional approach or experimenting with alternative metal. Reinkaos fits neither of these conventions and instead sounds like old In Flames or At The Gates. If you miss that seminal approach to the style, you might find Reinkaos to your liking. Very melodic leads and hooks dominate the album and songs like "Starless Aeon" and "Xeper-I-Set" are the most memorable in this respect. Still, none of the songs are anything to write home about. They are merely listenable and mildly enjoyable.

So there you have it. Is this the downfall of one of metal's legends? Probably not. It's not much of a comeback either, though. Only check it out if you really have nothing else to listen to at the moment.

Written on 19.04.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 31   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 427 users
19.01.2007 - 15:21
SteTech

I downloaded it and I think it's a pretty good album
22.01.2007 - 07:10
Cthulhu
Account deleted
As an old Dissection fan I was extremely dissapointed with this album. They have followed countless other Swedish black or death bands (In Flames is the best example) down the path of playing uninspired and unoriginal Iron Maiden-style riffs making for a generally uninteresting listen. Dissection used to have their own original sound, a mixture of black metal and slow melodic death metal, that was great. I am a fan of bands diversifying their sound if they do it well (think Satyricon, Mayhem, Emperor, Death). Unfortunately, Dissection have failed. If you think crap like In Flames is great, then check this out, if like me you prefer quality don't waste your time.
22.01.2007 - 19:00
Rating: 6
Sunioj

I would give a 6, theres only three songs that are ok on the album, so yes, its a huge dissappointment, yet the style is dramatically changed, I dont see how people who like melodeth can even like this album, its just really weak. Well, thats life...
31.03.2007 - 21:18
Rating: 10
.:Jux:.

I'm note old Dissection fan. For me this album was the first one to listen from that band, and I must say it is damn good. Melodic death as it supposed to be, not that cliche-ish gottenburg metal stuff. Now when I have listened their early stuff, the change really is dramatic. But still it is a superb album. I gave 10
05.04.2007 - 12:12
Mental_Orgasm
Account deleted
i loved their older stuff, i agree with the review, this album was pretty dissapointing
07.04.2007 - 13:30
Agaatho

Reinkaos is not very good(despite the guitar is very good).Most of the songs have pretty much the same rythm and it's not pleasant to hear the all album through.
To compare The Somberlain and Storm of The Lights Bane -Reinkaos is bullshit ,but 6,5 is acceptable for this album.
07.04.2007 - 19:04
Sunioj

Written by Agaatho on 07.04.2007 at 13:30

Reinkaos is not very good(despite the guitar is very good).

I see someone noticed that too, even the album overall is pretty terrible, it sounds like Jon has been practicing his solos.
27.06.2007 - 23:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
I agree with the rating.
This is one of my biggest dissapointments, some great songs but even more awful songs! This really is the downfall of an awesome band!
----
14.03.2008 - 19:11
Magatouve
Account deleted
Starless Aeon is the only song I heard from this album. It's pretty damn great. I liked the video clip so much and the lyrics too. It's so catchy. I find nothing wrong about Melodeath. It may not be as complex as other genres but still music is not only about complexity. Sometimes simple things can be really great, especially when they come from a talented person. Anyway, I haven't listened to anything from Dissection before and I understand that when a good band changes its style, the fans will be so harsh and subjective in their judgements, always comparing to older stuff. If it was a work by another band, they may appreciate it more.... this is the way it always is!
15.03.2008 - 06:56
Eternal Flames

In comparison to Dissection's earlier material, the album was rather average. But nevertheless as a melodic death album itself it's not too bad. I have to admit that I did enjoy listening to it and I'm a huge Dissection fan. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece from them anyway but I'd probably rated I would agree with the rating, maybe I'd given it a 7 or so though.
30.12.2008 - 16:03
Metal Addicted

Fantastic Albume, Just Listen To Stareless Aeon or God Of Forbidden Light ...
Hail Jon ...
13.01.2009 - 00:49
Metalbound7

I love every Dissection album including this one, R.I.P Jon
03.03.2009 - 02:26
terrorist

This album is so great!!!!Ok,probably it doesn't sounds like their older albums but for its self the album is great!!!It has influence of thrash i must say a little bit,and solos are fantastic!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
05.03.2009 - 19:00
Rating: 9
ms68

Why when some black bands change their style, all of blackmetalers rise against them? this matter happened when burzum released Hlidskjalf too.
if an album hasn't distortion blackmetalers hate that. do u think style is more important than music?? i don't think and i rate it 10.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
13.04.2009 - 08:34
Lord_Regnier

I like "The Somberlain" and "Storm Of The Light's Bane". Both are excellent albums. But I don't like "Reinkaos" at all.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.03.2010 - 07:59
Builtforsin88

Not great, but deff worth at least checking out.
08.05.2010 - 03:53
In_tallica

Everyone keeps saying "Melodeath Album". It does'nt matter what people call it. It's still 100 % Black Metal, since it's satanic and has a dark, sinister and evil approach to it. Even though Light's Bane is better, I still consider this a masterpiece, and a true testament of the chaotic hellraising that represented Dissection!
Hail Jon!
25.07.2010 - 18:53
Spanishkiller

Have you just heard the lyrics? THE WHOLE DISC IS AN INVOCATION OF LUCIFER! If that is not Black Metal, I don´t know what is Black metal then. Jon didn´t care at all the sound of this disc, he just wanted to express his knowledge about satanism.
26.07.2010 - 01:23
RavenKing

To those who label the album as Black Metal only because of satanic lyrics: it's music that defines a genre, not lyrics. And you can find very satanic lyrics in Thrash and Death Metal too.

If you think satanism automatically = Black Metal, sorry but you fucking don't know anything about Black Metal.

Also, many BM bands sing about nature, landscapes, etc. According to your false logic, they would not even be BM.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
29.07.2010 - 03:21
Spanishkiller

Written by RavenKing on 26.07.2010 at 01:23

To those who label the album as Black Metal only because of satanic lyrics: it's music that defines a genre, not lyrics. And you can find very satanic lyrics in Thrash and Death Metal too.

If you think satanism automatically = Black Metal, sorry but you fucking don't know anything about Black Metal.

Also, many BM bands sing about nature, landscapes, etc. According to your false logic, they would not even be BM.

So, without listening to the lyrics you can distinguish between Black Metal and other extreme metal genres. Then Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir or Primordial shouldn´t be clasified as Black Metal... and albums of melodeath such as With Oden On Our Side wolud be Black Metal, because it sounds like the typical Black Metal.
29.07.2010 - 05:03
RavenKing

Written by Spanishkiller on 29.07.2010 at 03:21

So, without listening to the lyrics you can distinguish between Black Metal and other extreme metal genres. Then Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir or Primordial shouldn´t be clasified as Black Metal... and albums of melodeath such as With Oden On Our Side wolud be Black Metal, because it sounds like the typical Black Metal.

One question: do you know anything about metal? Because, sorry, but you sound like a noob.
Amon Amarth sounds like typical Black Metal??? Wow, I was right. You don't have a clue at what Black Metal is.

By the way, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are NOT Black Metal in their current form. Just some kind of melodic extreme metal targeted at the mainstream.

Yes, I can distinguish Black Metal from other extreme genres by the sound, the riffs, etc... Lots of people can do the same. But you obviously lack the knowledge to do it.
----
12.12.2010 - 19:23
Rating: 1
Destructhor

THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER, THIS IS THE BEST 11 AUDIO FILES IN THE UNIVERSE!!! HAIL THE DARK GODS AND THE WRATHFULL CHAOS!!! :banger2::banger2::banger2::banger2:
19.12.2010 - 20:42
BloodFireDeath

Yeah I love their first two albums dearly and have a very special place in my heart. But this one I love quite a bit as well. Its got a very dark (mildly) atmosphere and has a slightly melancholic edge which I enjoy. It blends cutesy popish metal with something genuinely artistic and sad. I also love the lyrics. Good piece of metal in my opinion.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
19.12.2010 - 22:20
RavenKing

I consider this album as utter crap.
----
25.07.2011 - 08:14
Rating: 5
Kuroboshi

The drumwork is so boring, that's what drag this album into the mud. But Maha Kali and Starless Aeon are still awesome, so I have to give it a 7... I'm to generous.
25.07.2011 - 14:40
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
No you're not. It's not sucha bad album, and about 3 tracks are really good. I wouldn't rate it higher than 7 though.
25.07.2011 - 16:50
Rating: 8
beyondtehdarksun

I agree, it could be so much better with some varied and faster drumming. Starless Aeon is my favorite too, been listening to it over and over in the past.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
06.12.2011 - 19:19
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Why stain "Storm of the Light's Bane" 's memory with such bullshit? Some dead bands are much better off dead. I think they did re-die after this catastrophe, right?
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
09.01.2016 - 16:40
Copernicus

Well, I'm most certainly a fanboy, but I must be honest - if this was a release of some not-so-favorite band, I would not give it more than one spin. I find only Starless Aeon to have have the old spirit.
07.04.2016 - 16:19
gaud2029

It's an amazing album. The rating of an album should NEVER take older album of the same band into consideration. Each album is a piece of its own.

Hits total: 13603 | This month: 13