Metal Storm logo
Testament - Apologize For Incident At Indonesian Festival

Legendary thrashers Testament have received a lot of backlash after their headlining performance at Kukar Rockin' Fest 2014 in Tenggarong, Indonesia on March 9th. There was an incident involving Testament and the Indonesian band Power Metal, who performed before them. According to a report, Testament's stage crew pulled the plug on Power Metal's cables from their amps during their third song. Chuck Billy appeared on stage and the Indonesian band stepped down. The crowd was upset and sat down during Testament's performance that ended up being cut short. They left the stage and Power Metal later returned to perform. Testament have now released a statement about this justifying the situation with miscommunication and urgency to catch a flight, apologizing to the fans.

Statement from the band: "As Testament returns from our first trip to Indonesia, a country we've looked forward to visiting for many years, it is with deep disappointment that our performance didn't turn out as planned. While our experience in this great land had been nothing but wonderful from the time our first plane first touched down - from the warm hospitality of our fans, local staff and others to whom we are grateful, to being honored by the mayor and the press shortly before appearing in front of 50,000 fans at Kukar Rockin' Fest 2014, things went awry only at the moment we were scheduled to hit the stage.

"That's when the support act directly before us began their set. Normally this would not be a big issue - rock'n'roll shows don't always run on time as everyone knows - but in this case, there was a serious problem: we had a flight to catch in just a few hours. The flight was from Balikpapan Airport, several hours from Tengarrong (the location of the concert) which required several hours driving over rugged terrain. Making matters worse, several pieces of luggage had never arrived and these needed to picked up in Jakarta before we could board our connecting flights. Missing our connecting flights in Jarkata would have caused the entire band and crew to miss our further connecting flights home (after nearly a month on tour) followed by a trip to Mexico City's Hell And Heaven Fest within three days of arrival back to the US.

"So in order to play our full set and be sure we made this flight, an attempt was made to play our set on time, with the support act following us. The local stage managers, while well intentioned, did not seem to grasp the urgency of the situation as the support act (Power Metal) continued to play and we watched our set time disappearing. When our singer, Chuck Billy, came out and attempted to address the support band and audience, he was not understood. Regretfully, this led to a minor confrontation with the support act who only stopped playing once their gear was finally turned off by our crew (for which they responded by dousing water on one of our own amplifiers). While this situation was interpreted as the headliner being disrespectful to the local band, that was not the intention.

"Not helping these miscommunications was the language barrier for which no one can be blamed - our concern wasn't understood and nobody in our entourage speaks Indonesian. We were also short of our full crew, some of whom hadn't been available when this show was added to our tour at the last minute. Regardless, the result was a crowd that was visibly unhappy during our set and for that we accept responsibility.

"To our Kukar Rockin' Fest audience: we deeply apologize for any hurt that was caused. While we would have appreciated the support act being more accommodating, we nonetheless apologize to them as well and meant no disrespect. In hindsight, it might have been a better decision to just let them continue and cut much of our own set. But in the heat of the moment, a judgment call was made that backfired. We regret this turn of events, which does not represent what Testament is all about, nor what we'd travelled all that way for.

"Testament deeply appreciates the fans of Indonesia and hopes they find it within their hearts to understand what has happened and forgive. We truly hope to return to this region one day amidst deeper understanding and better circumstances."

Video of the incident:

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Testament
Posted: 13.03.2014 by akbarmayat

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 46   Visited by: 286 users
13.03.2014 - 13:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The only thing I got from these news is that there's a band called Power Metal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2014 - 13:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2014 at 13:49

I wonder what kind of music they play.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.03.2014 - 13:59
Big-Al

Power Metal.

yip, pretty funny band name
----

I drink moosepiss
13.03.2014 - 14:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.03.2014 at 13:56

Plot twist: The profile we have for them says the genre is Heavy Metal, same with Metal Archives.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2014 - 14:16
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2014 at 14:14

Plot twist: The profile we have for them says the genre is Heavy Metal, same with Metal Archives. :lo:

Actually there was already quite a bit of drama about this. The first story that came out was from the promoter/organiser(or someone on the inside) of the show, saying that Testament were rude and kicked the band off stage and asked for a longer sound check blah blah. Basically the crowd sat through the entire Testament set, which I thought was pretty funny.

Will try and find the link
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
13.03.2014 - 14:18
Athropos
Burning inside
When Chuck Billy asks you to stop, you stop. Man, we're talking about motherfuckin' Chuck Billy, the guy who trashed his own cancer.
13.03.2014 - 14:21
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Athropos on 13.03.2014 at 14:18

When Chuck Billy asks you to stop, you stop. Man, we're talking about motherfuckin' Chuck Billy, the guy who trashed his own cancer.

Doesn't matter! No one has the right to come on stage when a band's playing and unplug equipment. No matter who the fuck you are.

Anyway, the other side of the story is here
http://lawlessjakarta.com/blog/testament-sucked-in-tenggarong-east-borneo.html

Not sure what's true or not.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
13.03.2014 - 14:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
You can see more details on the link in the news article = According to a report part.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.03.2014 - 14:41
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BloodTears on 13.03.2014 at 14:23

You can see more details on the link in the news article = According to a report part.

Ah, I didn't read the news article as I had already read it elsewhere
----

Last fm
Don't click here
13.03.2014 - 15:01
Nemo Atkins

It looks like it was a situation that they would never have managed to come out of well, as cutting short their set would have pissed off the Testament fans who had come just to see them.

At least they've apologised for the incident and admitted they made a bad call. It doesn't completely make the event a non-issue (I'm sure that Indonesian fans aren't going to be impressed with them for a good while), but admitting you were the one in the wrong and apologising is a good start for those who are still annoyed by it.
13.03.2014 - 15:02
Grind Magus
Weak Cunt
I always guessed these kind of incident would be mostly because of miscommunication (Although in this case also because the Testament crew started to unplugging equipments from a band who is still playing).

Anyway, here's a Power Metal song if anyone is interested in what they sound like.
13.03.2014 - 15:06
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.03.2014 at 13:56

I hope they play Grindcore ?
----
The Fangirl.
13.03.2014 - 15:11
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Grind Magus on 13.03.2014 at 15:02

I always guessed these kind of incident would be mostly because of miscommunication (Although in this case also because the Testament crew started to unplugging equipments from a band who is still playing).

Did you go for the concert? I guess the language barrier could definitely have had a part to play.

We shared stage with them here and they were pretty chill dudes, but I'd be pissed with a headliner if they decided to come on stage and unplug us while we were in the middle of a song.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
13.03.2014 - 16:14
Grind Magus
Weak Cunt
Nah, Tenggarong is way too far for me. That place is a fucking jungle.
I always thought it was an odd place for a rock/metal concert. Especially a free one.
I can confidently guess that it was a miscommunication since most people in Indonesia don't really speak good English, much less understand them.
13.03.2014 - 16:43
D.T. Metal

Watching the video on the link above - hmmm, I don't know. Regardless of what happened, you don't treat a headliner like that, sitting down when they play.
13.03.2014 - 16:56
Hatebeard
Account deleted
Fuuuuuuuuck "Power Metal" who gives a shit? What a lame name for a band anyway. This is motherfucking TESTAMENT! Who the FUCK sides with a crappy unoriginal unheard of band called "Power Metal" over Testament? If I was there I would have cheered at those tools getting the power cut and started chanting Testament, Testament.

I hope everyone at this show who sat down dies of cancer...
13.03.2014 - 17:43
AberrantBeing

When I listened to the youtube video of 'Power Metal' playing all I could think of (other than how boring the guitar playing was) is that the vocals sound like some sort of fantasy elvan language.
13.03.2014 - 17:51
cossaisVendeurs

Written by Guest on 13.03.2014 at 16:56

Fuuuuuuuuck "Power Metal" who gives a shit? What a lame name for a band anyway. This is motherfucking TESTAMENT! Who the FUCK sides with a crappy unoriginal unheard of band called "Power Metal" over Testament? If I was there I would have cheered at those tools getting the power cut and started chanting Testament, Testament.

I hope everyone at this show who sat down dies of cancer...

They're a highly respected local metal band. Who gives a shit if it's TESTAMENT? They waded in on another band's performance and that's not cool. It's their fault for not booking flights at a later time. And just because they're unheard of doesn't mean their crappy or shit. I mean. Testament are overrated shite anyway if you want my opinion. They were standing up (Irony) for the local band. A hard working band who is trying to make a name for themselves worldwide.

Testament had no right acting like the dicks they were just because of their status. And for the record when Testament was at Bloodstock I never even bothered going to the arena. At least the crowd had the decency to stay.
13.03.2014 - 18:52
Rulatore

Then, after 5 years without seeing Testament, they'll claim the band is lame for not coming back. No wonder why.

As D.T said, regardless of what happened, they traveled a lot to get there, doesn't seem an usual place for a show.

This reminded me of Metal Open Air (a festival that took place here in Brazil 2 years ago). But back then, the bands had nothing to do, just play with some horrible setup, there were shorter sets and Megadave stopped playing at half of their set. Next day, people were trying to kill the promoters (they still do these days, I think ).

Too bad this happened, If I'ld think of some cause, I think that the crowd didn't really understand what Testament had to say.
13.03.2014 - 19:12
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Spirit Molecule on 13.03.2014 at 15:11

I'd be pissed with a headliner if they decided to come on stage and unplug us while we were in the middle of a song.

This I agree, I think the audience had the legitimate response to their impoliteness, whoever they are, they must learn to respect their audience. And they could have planned their show more carefully instead of interfering with the other show.
----
The Fangirl.
13.03.2014 - 19:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Spirit Molecule on 13.03.2014 at 14:16

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2014 at 14:14

Plot twist: The profile we have for them says the genre is Heavy Metal, same with Metal Archives. :lo:

Actually there was already quite a bit of drama about this. The first story that came out was from the promoter/organiser(or someone on the inside) of the show, saying that Testament were rude and kicked the band off stage and asked for a longer sound check blah blah. Basically the crowd sat through the entire Testament set, which I thought was pretty funny.

Will try and find the link

Actually, it pretty sumps up what's mentioned here( in news).Testament had to catch the flight and all this mess happened. Crowd didn't sat through the entire Testament set, majority was leaving. So, they cut the shit and left the stage. It all happened in smug-ass attitude of Testament. Yes, pushing off stage like what Testament did was not acceptable.
13.03.2014 - 21:10
Vombatus
Potorro
Bunch of dicks, would have been 100% more easy to simply ask the organizers to play before the support act (and if they knew their flight schedule was tight, why didn't they do something before ? Had to wait for the gig to start ?).
13.03.2014 - 22:19
D.T. Metal

And then people in other countries wonder why bands don't play there !!!
Yes, the schedule was tight and Testament prolly told the promoter what time their flight will be and it doesn't matter if they took sound-check for way to long. Before the support band even took the stage, the promoter should have stepped in and told them that Testament will play first and they will play afterwards - DONE.
This was NOT a small little gig, but rather 50,000 folks in attendance and I am pretty sure the ticket sales were because of headliners and NOT because of support bands, no matter how good or local they are.
13.03.2014 - 22:28
angel.
Evil Butterfly
^ So they were allowed to come on the stage and stop the other show was going on just because they're one of the fucking leading figures of Thrash scene ? ! PFF ! Absurd logic. They could reserve another later flight, or learn how to respect the other smaller bands,this easy, after all there was a time when they were a small band too.
----
The Fangirl.
14.03.2014 - 01:27
D.T. Metal

I am almost certain that those were exceptional circumstance for chuck to go on stage with the promoter and talk to the crowd during the support bands set. i think it's a "he said, he said" situation and like I said - the promoter knew when Testament had to leave again, due to flights, so he should have had the balls to tell to support band to either cut it short or play afterwards.
14.03.2014 - 03:36
D.T. Metal

^^ that. We can debate until we are blue around the mouth; there are too many variables. I think the Fans, those ones who came to see Testament lost in the end.
14.03.2014 - 03:46
EnigmaLake

Testament have always been cool dudes. I don't think they'd suddenly turn into egotistical jackasses. I've been to over 200-250 shows. Sometimes an opener gets cut short. The local band can play for the local people anytime. Having Testament play was probably a special event for both the fans and the band. If Testament waits it out and plays a short set people are gonna complain. Damned either way. Bands have obligations to other shows. Sure you'd love to always be early have hours upon hours or even days of buffer time. I'm sure no one here is ever late or cuts it close getting somewhere right? I'd be honor to play with Testament and step aside and enjoy the show. Play afterwards, play another local show. Anything. Instead it ended up a mess and left seemingly all parties annoyed.
14.03.2014 - 03:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It's funny, i bet if Testament did the right thing, let Power Metal play, then themselves played an abbreviated set in order to make their flight everyone would be up in arms about the headliner being dickheads for three songs and done.

testament takes some blame, sure, but whomever was running the fest should take the brunt of it for not scheduling it properly.

i've been to a couple gigs where the headliners, including Carcass on the Heartwork tour, have gone on early to adjust to scheduling issues.

Could have been worked around.

Dick move by Testament, but they would have ended up villains either way once the gig started way late.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.03.2014 - 04:36
Ruchesko

Written by Athropos on 13.03.2014 at 14:18

Doesn't give him license to be a bastard.
14.03.2014 - 08:58
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by BitterCOld on 14.03.2014 at 03:53

I bet if Testament did the right thing, let Power Metal play, then themselves played an abbreviated set in order to make their flight everyone would be up in arms about the headliner being dickheads for three songs and done.

Dick move by Testament, but they would have ended up villains either way once the gig started way late.

I bet they could perform the show for three songs and apologize their fans in the end, talking to them on the stage for their loose and poor plans, and even they could return half of cost of the tickets to them or something like that, seriously better than unplugging another band's gear while they were playing.
----
The Fangirl.

Hits total: 5052 | This month: 7