07. Throne Of Time
08. Corpse Of Care
09. Posthuman
10. Aion Suntalia
11. From Beyond The Event Horizon [Japanese bonus]
12. Into The Lifeless [LP & CD Collector's Box bonus]

The Best Black Metal Album Of 2014

Additional info
The cover art was designed by Zbigniew M. Bielak.

Released as a deluxe digipack CD, various coloured LP editions, collector's vinyl box set, jewel case CD and cassette.

Staff review by
X-Ray Rod
Rating:
Seven long years passed since the game-changer that was Ordo Ad Chao got released. It was an extremely complex album with a sound so different from what Mayhem (or any other band for that matter) had done before, that a somewhat mixed reaction was to be expected. I gladly put my tent on the fan camp though. This is why Blasphemer's departure worried me as it turned more difficult to guess how the final product would sound like?

Read more ››
published 17.06.2014 | Comments (37)

More Mayhem and Mayhem never fucks around.

wormdrink414's picks | More picks ››

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 80   Visited by: 943 users
28.05.2014 - 23:02
Rating: 9
mz
Written by Karlabos on 28.05.2014 at 22:27

A little too ved buens endish for my tastes...

One can not get enough similar to VBEish
But seriously, it is more than just being similar to VBE.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
28.05.2014 - 23:05
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by mz on 28.05.2014 at 23:02

Written by Karlabos on 28.05.2014 at 22:27

A little too ved buens endish for my tastes...

One can not get enough similar to VBEish
But seriously, it is more than just being similar to VBE.

Of course not, there's also Attila =)
But this time I feel like the only part where he got creepy was in Milab and then just in some other bits
I'd like to hear he as he was on De Mysteriis or in Plasma Pool
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.05.2014 - 23:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by mz on 28.05.2014 at 23:00
Could you recommend me some other bands playing similar to this album? This has some VBEism going but beside that, the only similar thing I can think of is their previous album.

Are people really making this out to be that unique? Aside from the production style (which in itself is very similar to OaC) and Attila's vocals this sounds like... black metal. Some moments bring to mind the likes of Inquisition, Funeral Mist, or Deathspell Omega while others make me think of pretty much any black metal band from the '90s that didn't use synths or female vocals.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.05.2014 - 23:18
mz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.05.2014 at 23:07

Are people really making this out to be that unique? Aside from the production style (which in itself is very similar to OaC) and Attila's vocals this sounds like... black metal. Some moments bring to mind the likes of Inquisition, Funeral Mist, or Deathspell Omega while others make me think of pretty much any black metal band from the '90s that didn't use synths or female vocals.

I don't think that this is the most unique album around, but saying that it is similar to "pretty much any black metal band from the '90s that didn't use synths or female vocals" is rather extreme. To each their own I guess.
----
28.05.2014 - 23:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I do think Mayhem have established a pretty solid signature sound on their past couple of records. They can certainly be compared to other bands, but even if you took away Attila's vocals I think you could easily pick their music out of a crowd with no problem.
29.05.2014 - 02:14
Vombatus
Potorro
Enjoyable, a couple of songs aren't too good (first couple mostly). I prefer it to OaC, but it seems Mayhem made a very recognisable signature sound (instead of different as fuck albums each time). Mylab, Corpse of Care and Throne of Time are massive, my favs no doubt.
30.05.2014 - 03:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yeah, here's the Budapest session bonus track which didn't appear on the stream. Not as good as the rest of the album but still worth hearing.

30.05.2014 - 08:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Looking like a bunch of goddamn villains (sounding like ones too ).
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
31.05.2014 - 00:24
God Alone
This will be extremely difficult to rate. I have no idea what to think of it.
02.06.2014 - 23:50
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Just listened to the whole record and the result... Mayhem with ES takes no.1 place (for now) in my list of great albums released this year! It takes time for these guys to come up with a new offering, but when they do, they surely do it well.
03.06.2014 - 03:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I like this album, and I think it'll get better the more I listen to it. Atilla is still insane. I can still tell its definitely Mayhem playing so I don't see identity issues. Other bands now may have some of the sound they have defined over the years but Mayhem don't give a shit with their veterans prowess.
----
Coldgrits
06.06.2014 - 16:54
Rating: 10
Himedal
They're fucking back on the track.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
07.06.2014 - 16:17
The Paul
Diggin it!
07.06.2014 - 19:19
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Oh what a surprise... I love this album.... (that's not surprising). Seriously great stuff. Nearly on par with the previous album.
08.06.2014 - 22:12
Rating: 8
Erik M.
Nope, definitely not as good as the debut, but still great.
09.06.2014 - 04:11
Sword_Chant
This album makes me want to crush brick walls with my bare hands
10.06.2014 - 18:59
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Erik M. on 08.06.2014 at 22:12

Nope, definitely not as good as the debut, but still great.

Well the debut and this are vastly different in a stylistic sense. I'm curious what your opinion on Ordo Ad Chao is, as that album is much closer in style, and should probably be the standard we are comparing Esoteric Warfare to
10.06.2014 - 19:39
MelancholiaC
Does anyone know how much the new guitarist Teloch factored in the bulk of the songwriting? My guess is not that much, at least compared to his predecessors...
10.06.2014 - 21:26
mz
Written by MelancholiaC on 10.06.2014 at 19:39

Does anyone know how much the new guitarist Teloch factored in the bulk of the songwriting? My guess is not that much, at least compared to his predecessors...

Seemingly, he was the main songwriter on this album.
----
10.06.2014 - 23:29
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Steamroller of an album.
11.06.2014 - 00:02
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The first 9 I gave this year. Shit.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.06.2014 - 13:07
wormdrink414
Elite
Opening track is my favorite at the moment. Those vocals, dang.
13.06.2014 - 23:07
Erik M.
Written by Alex F on 10.06.2014 at 18:59

Well the debut and this are vastly different in a stylistic sense. I'm curious what your opinion on Ordo Ad Chao is, as that album is much closer in style, and should probably be the standard we are comparing Esoteric Warfare to

True. I can't deny that I prefer the more simplistic style of the debut to this album and Ordo Ad Chao. Indeed these two albums are pretty similar in style. I like this one more than OAC so far, but both deserve more spins. Don't get me wrong, I like 'em both, but somehow the debut just totally pisses on these two albums, even though they are more original style-wise. Though I know myself all too well to know that my opinion in case of music can change a lot after subsequent spins, so who knows... For the record, I've spun this one 5 times so far and OAC only 2 times (and the debut probably 15-20 times already).
13.06.2014 - 23:43
Slayer666
Don't know why, but I'm just not impressed by this.

To the people who liked/loved it: did it click instantly with you, or did you have to go through it multiple times in order to digest it properly?
14.06.2014 - 02:19
mz
Written by Slayer666 on 13.06.2014 at 23:43

did it click instantly with you, or did you have to go through it multiple times in order to digest it properly?

Half way through it I called it the album of year , but that's because I am really used to their OaC.
----
14.06.2014 - 02:40
Slayer666
Written by mz on 14.06.2014 at 02:19

Half way through it I called it the album of year , but that's because I am really used to their OaC.

So am I....
Granted, the first time I heard OaC I was almost exclusively into "classic" 2nd wave black metal, so it took me well over a year to gain an appreciation for its unorthodox style.

But now that I'm much more interested in non-standard black, I figured I should be loving this, but I'm just not.
16.06.2014 - 13:39
musicalkaratekid
For me a slight improvement over the last album, which was pretty decent too. This album continues the new trademark Mayhem sound and seems to dabble with experimentation, making songs like the excellent "Milab" and "Posthuman" that bit more effective. It does get tiresome on soms songs with repetitive riffing but the instrumental performance here more than makes up for it, as well as the eerie atmosphere.
17.06.2014 - 17:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I really like seeing how all of the songs the released prior to the official release date work together in the completed album as well as the progression of the album as a whole. Gives me a new appreciation for the songs I had already heard.
18.06.2014 - 03:13
Stoned Crow
Pretentious album title, pretentious band, decent music; lower to mid 7 area. I really like Mylab, though. I love the progressive touch.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
18.06.2014 - 07:18
Urs Blank
Throne of time is like a nod to Virus (and in a friggin good way), I mean the Carheart album, and for me it is that good! Not sayin' that the OaC sounded not groundbreaking enough) Just that it makes me think of it

Hits total: 19238 | This month: 43