Metal Storm logo
Metalcore

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 20.01.2007 - 01:25
So I'm Taking Jesus Punchers Advice and Open a thread About Metalcore. Now This thread is about Metalcore in general, But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

But anyway, feel free to talk about some good metalcore. Nad if any of you are wondering why this is in the Alt. Metal forum, it's because I got tired of people whining at me about it. But anywho, let the discussion Commense.
08.04.2008 - 15:07
Hangar XVIII

I don't really know, but I've been getting a little bit into some metalcore lately, mainly Killswitch Engaged and Shadows Fall.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
08.04.2008 - 22:22
selken
Irreligious
I like Killswitch Engage, Bullet for My Valentine, Shadows Fall and also Bullet For My Valentine, if you hate BFMV, congratulations.
I don't know if In Flames helped me to get into metalcore, their albums Colony (my fav) and Clayman have many sounds I find on the above bands, I'm the only one with this thinking?
----
09.04.2008 - 09:04
Abattoir

I prefer more metalcore bands form USA, like Unearth, As I lay Dying, Himsa is also quite good band...but not so Killswitch Engage.
Generally the music is very good and the vocals must be mainly harsh, not clean.
10.04.2008 - 15:10
Hangar XVIII

Written by Abattoir on 09.04.2008 at 09:04

Generally the music is very good and the vocals must be mainly harsh, not clean.

I agree, I love the music itself, but once the clean vocals start it really throws me off. It's like trying to be emo, hardcore, and metal at the same time. I don't like that. Take out the clean stuff and it would be one of my favorite genres.

All my friends disagree with me though. They're all like: Yay! Clean! That's so original.

Well how can it be original if the entire genre does it?
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
10.04.2008 - 18:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Hangar XVIII on 10.04.2008 at 15:10

Written by Abattoir on 09.04.2008 at 09:04

I agree, I love the music itself, but once the clean vocals start it really throws me off. It's like trying to be emo, hardcore, and metal at the same time. I don't like that. Take out the clean stuff and it would be one of my favorite genres.

All my friends disagree with me though. They're all like: Yay! Clean! That's so original.

Well how can it be original if the entire genre does it?

Yet at the same time, the screaming is getting a little old. So many bands think their so bad ass because they have some schmuck on stage who can scream into a PA. Sorry, but Fates Warning is much heavier than any Metalcore band out there. Screaming all the time just gets annoying. That is why I prefer bands like Demon Hunter who switch it up a lot, and the clean vocals of Ryan Clark are in no way "Emo".
----
(space for rent)
10.04.2008 - 19:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Eh, I don't like the anxious sort of scream vocals, that truly is pretty damned annoying, as well as old. But I do like it when metalcore bands use REAL harsh vokills, like older Shadows fall, God Forbid, Unearth, Darkest Hour, etc.

But I mean, clean vocals can be good too, it just depends on how they're used.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.04.2008 - 00:11
Number Juan

I'm warming up to this genre. I still think most of it is not for me but Between the Buried and Me is a damn good band.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
20.05.2008 - 13:43
Arwen

It seems in general, that this kind of genre is listened by a lot of people who are passing you by every day on the streets and you would never tell by their look that behind this ordinary person is someone who likes speed and harsh vocals. Indeed, interesting, that metalcore brought a lot of new people to the metal scene, let us not forget that this scene is enlargening every year...only a pleasure.
I started to listen this genre one year ago and I'm glad I did; since then I have seen a lot of good concerts
some bands to be named from my part that are worth to be listened are Horse the Band and Genghis Tron from USA, the last one has some interesting electro darkwave elements in general mixture zith good vocals (just saw them yesterday on stage...fantastic )
Also I think good ones are Heaven Shall Burn and All Shall Perish, Bury Your Dead with hardcore elements, anyway not bad

Try them out and you could even start to enjoy...wow
20.05.2008 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arwen on 20.05.2008 at 13:43

It seems in general, that this kind of genre is listened by a lot of people who are passing you by every day on the streets and you would never tell by their look that behind this ordinary person is someone who likes speed and harsh vocals.

This statement is a bit weird since I know loads of people that when you see them you could never tall by their look that they like balc metal, thrash metal, death metal, grindcore, etc. Hell I am one of those people you can't tell that I love extreme metal by looking at my appearance.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2008 - 15:06
Arwen

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2008 at 14:51

Written by Arwen on 20.05.2008 at 13:43

It seems in general, that this kind of genre is listened by a lot of people who are passing you by every day on the streets and you would never tell by their look that behind this ordinary person is someone who likes speed and harsh vocals.

This statement is a bit weird since I know loads of people that when you see them you could never tall by their look that they like balc metal, thrash metal, death metal, grindcore, etc. Hell I am one of those people you can't tell that I love extreme metal by looking at my appearance.

Yeah, of course, I was never saying that only those who listen metalcore are in this way, I was just pointing out that especially in this circle a lot of people are easy with clothing habits because this style is mixted a lot with non-metal styles like rap, hip-hop, electro etc... though of course there are a lot of differences among people, me too, for exemple, I like to dress up sometimes for concerts and I don't see anything bad about it
22.05.2008 - 13:44
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Genghis Tron is not metalcore btw.
23.05.2008 - 20:33
Gordon Freeman

My personal favorite is Between the Buried and Me, they blend some great influences and do a very good job staying away from the scremocore crap and whiny scene kid lyrics.

Also The Red Chord, The Agony Scene, Bury Your Dead...uh, there's more. I'll be back.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
30.05.2008 - 00:59
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
im not keen on metalcore, but i love chimaira and some of the early killswitch engage stuff
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
21.06.2008 - 01:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metalcore is all the rage here in my hometown...the big bands are In Order To Be Born, Saved By Sin, and Fathom Ties...there is a show here on Monday where they're mixing in a bunch of genres in with the metalcore bands...it should be a hoot...
21.06.2008 - 02:11
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
My fav metalcore bands are definitly Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, Bleed The Sky, EkoTren, As I Lay Dying ...
21.06.2008 - 04:46
b0000mst1ck

Written by Guest on 21.06.2008 at 02:11

Bleed The Sky,

awesome band. i've been looking to hearing murder the dance for like a year now lol.

i've been listening to Xtrunk's "Not in Vain" for the last few days. they're a fresh metalcore band out of france, and i'd have to say i'm impressed. there's an abundance of gothenburg influences throughout, and their clean vocals have a brilliant sound to them. definitely worth checking out.
01.07.2008 - 00:36
rebelos
Account deleted
the best metalcore band imo are Arkangel check them out
01.07.2008 - 00:42
dehydration
Account deleted
I'm not too fond of metalcore, though I have nothing against it. Mathcore is preferred, like Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan. These are quite good.
01.07.2008 - 15:57
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 00:42

I'm not too fond of metalcore, though I have nothing against it. Mathcore is preferred, like Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan. These are quite good.

Check out Meshuggah (mathcore). Great band too !
And I recommand band Enter Shikari (technocore).

Sry on offtopic !
02.07.2008 - 00:50
dehydration
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 15:57

Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 00:42

Check out Meshuggah (mathcore). Great band too !
And I recommand band Enter Shikari (technocore).

Sry on offtopic !

Technocore sounds cool. Thanks, will check them out. I had heard of Meshuggah but never really listened to them so far, except for a few songs.
02.07.2008 - 03:20
LethargyMan

Meshuggah's roots are very much not "-core". They're still great regardless.

And the bread-n-butter of today's metalcore, the breakdown, is something which I find particularly obnoxious when overused. They may as well be playing the cock-rock solos of the '70s. Nothing wrong with using them, so long as it actually has some sort of purpose other than "let's string together a bunch of HEEAVY parts for the moshers!".

I'm not biased against breakdowns so much as I'm turned-off by drunken moshy heavy pointlessness; which, if one utilizes the breakdown incorrectly, is exactly what one gets.

So yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I've been flirting with it recently and finding some decent material.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
05.07.2008 - 00:08
Gordon Freeman

Written by LethargyMan on 02.07.2008 at 03:20

So yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I've been flirting with it recently and finding some decent material.

If your looking for some reccomendations I'm going to have to go ahead and suggest you check out Between the Buried and Me, a much more progressive version of Metalcore minus any break-down abuse.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

07.07.2008 - 21:13
LethargyMan

Written by Gordon Freeman on 05.07.2008 at 00:08

Written by LethargyMan on 02.07.2008 at 03:20

If your looking for some reccomendations I'm going to have to go ahead and suggest you check out Between the Buried and Me, a much more progressive version of Metalcore minus any break-down abuse.

Heh, actually that's who I was referring to. I had just picked up Colors earlier that week and found it quite pleasant.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
07.07.2008 - 23:29
Gordon Freeman

Written by LethargyMan on 07.07.2008 at 21:13

Heh, actually that's who I was referring to. I had just picked up Colors earlier that week and found it quite pleasant.

Well then...

...we're on the same page then.
----

08.07.2008 - 01:08
MortalTheory
Account deleted
alright, I personally don't view bands like Shadows Fall as metalcore, but whatever, i don't want a genre debate. I still like shadows fall a lot, but these are my favorite metalcore bands: All That Remains, August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Naera, As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold (Pre-City of Evil), As Blood Runs Black, Hatebreed, The Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.
08.07.2008 - 02:56
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Atm, i have been listening to the debut of Still Remains "Of Love And Lunacy". Right now, it's only metalcore band i can stand but sometimes the clean vocals annoy me a bit.
23.07.2008 - 00:45
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
@ MortalTheory :

I don't agree about one band you named above in your comment - Hatebreed. Because Hatebreed is more HC/punk not metalcore.
20.08.2008 - 07:11
Rémi
Account deleted
Hatebreed doesn't sound HC/punk at all lately, definately closer to a more Metalcore sound.

Personally, my favorites bands are Converge, Ion Dissonance, Between The Buried And Me, Zao, The Acacia Strain.
20.08.2008 - 17:51
brapp32

the acacia strain are pretty good. I think they just put out a new cd yesterday. Parkwaydrive and august burns red are my 2 favorites right now. Scars of tomorrow and bleed the sky are both pretty good to.
20.08.2008 - 19:09
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I can say that i'm officialy sick of Metalcore but sometime ago i listened to it pretty often.